Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Best moment(s) from 2010? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-12 4:45 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Subject: Best moment(s) from 2010?
What was your favorite time during a race or training this past season? Lets share some inspiration to carry us through the rainy, bleak and gray off season!

2010-09-12 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3093901

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: Best moment(s) from 2010?
My favourite time was this morning as I approached the finish line of the Land's End 10K in Sidney, BC. It's my first race since surgery in mid-June to reattach all the hamstrings I tore off the bone when I tripped while on a training run, 2 weeks before the HIM at Elk Lake. Dr. Nelson told me 6 months to recovery: I'm two days shy of 3 months post-op ... and I ran the whole thing this morning. Slowly, to be sure, but I did it. One of the volunteers said, "Way to go, you're finishing strong!" I said, "You have no idea ..." and just ran my legs off for the last 200 metres ... nearly wept as I came down the finish chute ... what an amazing feeling.

Bring on the Half in October!!!

Glad to be back .... it's been a long summer. I am looking forward to the winter 'cause guess what? I'm not in a hospital bed, I'm not in a wheelchair, I'm not on crutches ... I'm participating again.
2010-09-12 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3093916

User image

Regular
Surrey BC Canada
CeeCee - 2010-09-12 4:57 PM My favourite time was this morning as I approached the finish line of the Land's End 10K in Sidney, BC. It's my first race since surgery in mid-June to reattach all the hamstrings I tore off the bone when I tripped while on a training run, 2 weeks before the HIM at Elk Lake. Dr. Nelson told me 6 months to recovery: I'm two days shy of 3 months post-op ... and I ran the whole thing this morning. Slowly, to be sure, but I did it. One of the volunteers said, "Way to go, you're finishing strong!" I said, "You have no idea ..." and just ran my legs off for the last 200 metres ... nearly wept as I came down the finish chute ... what an amazing feeling.

Bring on the Half in October!!!

Glad to be back .... it's been a long summer. I am looking forward to the winter 'cause guess what? I'm not in a hospital bed, I'm not in a wheelchair, I'm not on crutches ... I'm participating again.

I'm glad you  are back from surgery and you legs are doing good, my best moment is still to come in that same half in October, so I say bring it on.
2010-09-13 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Wow, CeeCee, that is going to be a tough act to follow! Amazing! That is pretty inspiring, you should do a training manual up: From Hospital Bed to Sprint Triathlon- A 12 week Journey! Well done, way to push through it all!
2010-09-13 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

CDA! Free beer with good friends...oh and doing it without actually training for it! EPIC!!!

2010-09-13 9:59 AM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"

Got to race with my Daughter again this year. Been two years since the last time. Always enjoy sharing this time together.  

2010-09-13 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3093916

User image

Elite

Wow, congrats on the quick recovery and healing process.

2010-09-13 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3095073

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-09-13 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3094930

Veteran
Victoria, BC
hazmaster - 2010-09-13 6:48 AM Wow, CeeCee, that is going to be a tough act to follow! Amazing! That is pretty inspiring, you should do a training manual up: From Hospital Bed to Sprint Triathlon- A 12 week Journey! Well done, way to push through it all!

This made me laugh really hard ... yes, I SHOULD! Actually I'm working on a Sprint training clinic right now with my business parter ... through our company Fit to be Tri'd. We're after the "middle aged, middle of the pack" people like us (we may not cross the finish line first but we're serious about what we do!) ... to get people to realize triathlons are NOT all about Ironman ... that there are so many events within reach of people who consider themselves "average" athletes. What I've learned is that it is best to be in shape because WHEN things happen (this is not an "if") you recover so much more quickly. We're launching in late December ... www.fittobetrid.ca ... just a temporary page but ... working like mad behind the scenes!! 
2010-09-13 2:40 PM

Crossing finish at IMC 2010 feeling awesome(nose a little "modified" by swim kick in the face but otherwise felt great)...

• ..and hearing the kids tell me that hubbie would be doing IMC with me in 2011. What great way to celebrate 25 years together...next year we are on the course together...but from then on....I race him to the finish!! Just kidding of course...

• The finish line this year meant so much more after swallowing a DNF last year at IMC (arthritis)...

Congrat's to all who raced long or short this year...well done!!

Edited by adp 2010-09-13 2:41 PM
    2010-09-13 5:03 PM

Master
    Chilliwack, BC

Congrats! ADP!

2010-09-13 7:03 PM

Regular
    North Vancouver, British Columbia
    Thoroughly enjoyed 2010.. training, competing and volunteering...

Highlights of the season...
    *watching my boyfriend complete IMC ... an hour faster than he'd expected! He dedicated his entire 2009-2010 training and racing season to RACE4MS ...
    *being inspired by the story of Jon Blais (#179).. he raced KONA while in early to mid stages of ALS

*training Olympic & HIM distances.. and racing my first Oly in under 3hrs
    *first wetsuit and realizing how much i like open water swimming
    *preparing for my first Half Mara

Now to tackle the clipless pedals... :P
    2010-09-13 7:27 PM
    in reply to: #3096588

Veteran
    Victoria, BC
    Once you get those clipless pedals, you'll wonder how you managed without them. As part of my rehab program, Russ Hays Bike Store lent me an "LB" ... "Loaner Bike" or "Ludicrous Bike" depending. It was awesomely comfortable and perfect for what I needed (and, I might add, very good of them to lend it to me!) ... but I had no toe cage, and no clipless pedals. I didn't want to risk falling over ... BOY did I miss those clipless pedals!!!!

Are you coming over to the Island to do the Victoria Half in October?? 
    2010-09-13 7:49 PM

Five months of preparation, countless credit card swipes, and eight freshly burned CD’s later, we are finally on the road. Loaded to the brim with all the race essentials, by the time Brent (my dad) and I arrive at Wade’s door our GMC Jimmy looks more like a motorized pack mule. Thankfully, my friend Wade is notorious for packing light; risky light. He and his lone bag quickly find their nest in the backseat amidst a cluster of sleeping bags, pillows, foam rollers, and Fig Newtons. To quote Lloyd Christmas, “Some people just aren’t cut out for life on the road”. Wade drifts off to the peaceful sounds of Neil Young and David Gray and is out cold before we know it. Unbeknownst to us, the road to Alberta will be anything but peaceful this August long weekend. It’s Thursday and the race is three days away.

Hours pass and we find ourselves at the outskirts of Kamloops on Highway 1 and in serious need of a good leg stretch. Suddenly, a cloud of dust billows up from the far edge of the oncoming lane; directly to our left. Dad slows down and I sit up in my seat. We watch as a silver vehicle catapults from the dust and launches high into the air. The car’s front end points toward the sky and for an instant we see its full underbody before it spirals around 360 degrees in mid-air. It was like watching a stunt from some blockbuster movie (a 3D movie!). The driver must have lost control and veered off the road and into the steep ditch that lines the highway. In a last-“ditch” effort to correct his mistake he turned HARD back toward the road, but at that kind of speed the trench acted as a dusty stunt ramp and they were cleared for take-off. Luckily, it is only a single car accident. And even more luckily, this single car has somehow landed back on all four wheels. However, they are not out of the woods yet. Here comes that leg stretch.

Brent pulls over and all three of us hop out. “QUICK! Call 4-1-1!” Dad says to me. I decide to go with 9-1-1 instead. Emergency puts me on HOLD for what feels like 10 minutes (probably closer to 10 seconds). I look over at the car. It is so badly crumpled that I cannot even tell what make or model it is. My call goes through;

“Fire, Police, or Ambulance?” A female voice asks. This is a tough one. It catches me off-guard.

“BRING EVERYONE!” I yell. I am pacing back and forth beside our Jimmy on the opposite side of the highway from the accident. I’m so focused on the 9-1-1 call, and reviewing my decision to tell them to bring EVERYONE, that I don’t even stop to think what Wade and Brent might be up to. The phone line gets transferred over and an incredibly calm new voice speaks into my ear.

“Alright sir, has there been a car accident?” The new lady asks.

“YES!” I reply.

“Well that’s okay. That’s okay. What is your location?” She inquires; more calm than ever.

“Umm…KAMLOOPS!” I instantly recognize that “KAMLOOPS” is not a good enough answer and begin bobbing around for clues. WHY are they asking me all these difficult questions!?! I think to myself. Don’t they have Google Street View or some iPhone app that can take care of this? It was madness. Madness, I tell you!

The accident is no more than one minute old at this point, but as I shoot my head around to find someone with answers it felt like the entire city had shown up. On the right-hand side of the freeway, nearest to our vehicle, there is a steep grassy embankment with houses and rural roads that overlook Highway 1. The top of this hill is now lined with locals eager to provide a running, but primarily counterproductive, commentary on the incident. I call to one of these “hillbillies”, as we would later refer to them as (due to their behaviour and literal position atop the hill), and one of them provides me with our exact location for the 9-1-1 operator. It would turn out to be the last helpful remark uttered by any of these onlookers. The types that come from nowhere then go right back into it.

“Back up! She’s gonna blow!” Screams a hillbilly. This catches my attention and with my cell phone still to my ear, I finally turn around and face the wrecked silver car. Now, when you have just witnessed a serious car accident, are on the phone with 9-1-1, and can hear people screaming “SHE’S GONNA BLOW”, things can feel a bit overwhelming. Altogether though, I felt like I was maintaining my composure. This all began to change as I see Wade and Brent digging around in the passenger seat of a car that was now on fire!

“Alright sir, help is on the way. Can you describe for me the situation?” More questions from the calm lady.

“My father and my best friend are pulling people from a burning vehicle!” I almost can’t believe my own words.

“Okay, go.” She says. Thinking back on it with a clear mind this was kind of a wild thing to say. No instructions? No talking us through this? Just “go”? Okay, I will go. I run across two lanes, through the trench that separates east and westbound traffic, and into the belly of the beast. It is scary and I am really hoping there are no dead people in the car. Wade and Brent have just unbuckled and evacuated a barely conscious female passenger and she’s lying at our feet. Dad runs back to see if anyone else is inside and realizes that another witness has removed the driver from the car – everyone is out. Both are alive. The air is thick with black smoke that is making it hard to breathe. The “It’s gonna blow” chants continue.

“They’re both shitfaced!” Another hillbilly yells eroneously. Wade and I decide to pick up the female and carry her as far from the carnage as possible. She is covered in blood and dirt and her face is so swollen that we can’t tell if she’s 13 or 30. We are trying to be gentle with her but she begins to regain consciousness and is very squirmy. I keep telling her that everything is alright.

“No it’s not!” She screams back at us. She is right. We lay her down well out of harm’s way and Wade makes a pillow with his shirt and places it under her head. I look back to see that the silver car she was buckled to just moments ago is now fully engulfed in flames. The gas tank would later explode, as the hillbillies predicted, but it was far less eventful than their frantic warning yelps implied. The explosion shot up rather than out and was nothing more than a loud BOOM and a puff of smoke.

I see the male driver of the vehicle surrounded by his own group of witnesses. There is a large gash on his forehand but he is standing and walking around on his own power. He holds a dirty cloth to his head to stop the bleeding and is attempting to make his way over to the female but is being slowed down by many well-meaning bystanders. Seemingly out of nowhere comes a Medical First Responder who looks like Doogie Howser. Even though it seems like he has just hit puberty, and it could very well be his first day on the job, this kid does an amazing job taking care of a very distressed female and I earn a ton of respect for, not only him, but anyone in an emergency response profession. The first response team showed up so lightning quick that they must have either been on that stretch of highway already OR they are a bunch of psychics who roll around in first aid Ferrari’s.

Once the professionals have taken over we return to our Jimmy and continue on our journey. When we left the scene of the accident there did not seem to be any reason to believe that either passenger had suffered serious or life-threatening injuries. While we are not doctors, Wade and I do both hold Bachelors Degree’s now so that’s an assessment of health you can take straight to the bank! I see a lot car advertisements bragging about their safety features or crash-test ratings, but it’s impossible to have an appreciation for such things until you witness the importance first-hand. Seatbelts and airbags were the difference between life and death on this day. A few miles down the road I get a text message from my mom. She wants to know how the drive is going and if we’re making good time. I text back:

“Dad and Wade just rescued a person from a burning vehicle. Other than that, everything is going great.”

I have felt some level of nerves in each one of my triathlon races to date. These feelings have ranged from a healthy anxiousness to a full-blown “HOLY I’M DROWNING” panic attack. As corny as it may sound, to experience such a chilling circumstance, and endure the events that followed, really put things into perspective for me as we safely completed the drive to Ghost Lake, Alberta (location of the swim). I felt strangely calm for the remainder of the trip and throughout my longest race distance yet - thankful that I am strong enough in mind and body to even attempt such a task. I mean, c’mon, if Dad and Wade can rescue a person from a flaming vehicle, the least I can do is swim, cycle, and run for 70.3 miles, right?On the way to Ironman Calgary 70.3

Edited by Special_K 2010-09-13 7:51 PM
    2010-09-13 7:55 PM
    in reply to: #3096707

Veteran
    Victoria, BC
    Special K ... what an unbelievable story. Isn't it amazing how life changes in an instant? Thanks for sharing that ... my mom died in a car crash in 2000 and it sure changes your perspective of driving safely. And you just convinced me: I'm going to aim for a HIM next year ... surely to goodness I can do THAT.
    2010-09-13 11:23 PM
    in reply to: #3096650

Regular
    CeeCee.. did my first clipless ride tonight in a safe, vehicle free area... nice leisurely 20k... definitely more efficient than without clips.. now to get proficient at unclipping in a hurry

Yes... I'm over for the Vic 1/2 in October

2010-09-14 1:11 AM
    in reply to: #3096940

Veteran
    Victoria, BC
    Puddle Duck - 2010-09-13 9:23 PM CeeCee.. did my first clipless ride tonight in a safe, vehicle free area... nice leisurely 20k... definitely more efficient than without clips.. now to get proficient at unclipping in a hurry

Yes... I'm over for the Vic 1/2 in October

Yay for you!!! Yup, it's the unclipping in a hurry that'll get ya. I've fallen three times ... all in slo-mo... what they DON'T tell you is it's terribly hard to get up once you're down. I mean, you're still clipped into your bike and lying there like a turtle on its back ... makes for some hilarious situations (and bruises). But you're not a REAL cyclist, so they say, until you've fallen down at least twice. Hehe. Mostly just wounded my dignity. I have enough padding to land on.

Good for you, doing the Half ... it'll be my 7th and probably my slowest. But I'm just grateful to do it. I'll be sporting a tiara on top of my run hat ... I'm going to be the "Comeback Queen." Hehe ... CeeCee = Comeback Connie ...  
    2010-09-14 5:55 AM
    in reply to: #3096707

Elite

Wow what an experience! Well written Sk.

2010-09-14 4:56 PM

Regular
    Special K... Finally had a chance to fully read your entire post.. WOW..

CeeCee... what HIM(s) are you thinking of for next year?!
    2010-09-14 5:06 PM
    in reply to: #3098605

Veteran
    Victoria, BC
    Puddle Duck: the New Balance HIM at Elk Lake ... that's the one I was training for when I fell down and didn't get up for 8 weeks ...

2010-09-15 2:44 AM
    in reply to: #3098624

Regular
    I'm looking at the Oliver HIM event in June.. but wouldn't mind doing the NB HIM at Elk Lake... too bad the events are so close together.. back to back weekends.. if I'm not mistaken?!

Used to live in Victoria and did a lot of weekend training runs at Elk Lake... so it would be a nice "homecoming" visit

New Thread
    Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Best moment(s) from 2010? Rss Feed