Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » LT/Body Fat % Tests? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-19 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: LT/Body Fat % Tests?
Hey everyone!

I've been curious about getting my lactate threshold and Body Fat % tested for quite some time, but I'm not sure how/where to go about it.
The one possibility where I am (at UBC) is the Human Kinetics laboratory in the basement of the UBC Aquatic Center (where I work), but I have no idea how to contact it, as there is almost never anyone in there that I can see, and I'm there quite a bit.
If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, along with an approximate cost, that would be awesome!!

Thanks very much,
Derek

2007-07-20 1:50 PM
in reply to: #893167

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Subject: RE: LT/Body Fat % Tests?
I've wondered the same thing, my bathroom scale is giving me the same info which troubles me since I have lost 15 lbs over the past 5 months!?!?!
2007-07-21 12:44 AM
in reply to: #893167

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
Subject: RE: LT/Body Fat % Tests?

DerekWL - 2007-07-19 12:42 PM Hey everyone! I've been curious about getting my lactate threshold and Body Fat % tested for quite some time, but I'm not sure how/where to go about it. The one possibility where I am (at UBC) is the Human Kinetics laboratory in the basement of the UBC Aquatic Center (where I work), but I have no idea how to contact it, as there is almost never anyone in there that I can see, and I'm there quite a bit. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, along with an approximate cost, that would be awesome!! Thanks very much, Derek

I got the body fat test done last year.  It was $30

http://www.aquatics.ubc.ca/winter/schedules.htm#fitness

Fitness Testing - J.M. Buchanan Exercise Science Lab (downstairs) Call 822-4356.
Progressive Intensity Test:
A progressive intensity test or maximum oxygen consumption test (VO2max) can be performed on either a cycle ergometer or treadmill to assess cardiovascular fitness. This is a measure of the ability of the heart and lungs to deliver oxygen to the working muscles. Both methods start at a low intensity and progress through a series of stages until maximal point is reached. The individual is fitted with a heart rate transmitter and a face mask to monitor physiological variables every minute during the test. At the conclusion of the test, values are determined for maximal oxygen consumption (aerobic fitness), maximum heart rate, and anaerobic threshold.          
Hydrostatic Weighing:
Hydrostatic or underwater weighing is a method of assessing body composition by measuring the body’s density. The individual is fully submerged in a water tank and expires as much air as possible while a weight reading is recorded. This value is then converted through a series of equations to give a reading of body fat. At the conclusion of the test, values are determined for body fat and lean body mass.
Both tests can be combined for an overall assessment of cardiovascular fitness and body composition.
Computer printout interpretation of results and counselling are available on completion of the tests.
Call 822-4356 to book your test.

Edited by ultramike 2007-07-21 12:50 AM
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » LT/Body Fat % Tests? Rss Feed