BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jmk-brooklyn's mentor group- FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2010-04-05 2:48 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Jmk-brooklyn's mentor group- FULL!
NAME: jmk-brooklyn aka Jonah

STORY: I’ve been living in Brooklyn, NY for almost 20 years, and can give you at least 5 meanings for the word “Fuhgetaboutit”. I’ve been an athlete my whole life (football, lacrosse growing up in MD, boxing & softball later on. I decided to give triathlon a go in 2006. My first multi-sport race was Cape Henlopen in Delaware, and my first tri was Lonestar in Galveston, TX in 2007. I am a solidly middle-of-the pack Triathlete. I’ve improved a lot on the swim, to where I’m usually near the front of the pack. My biking is sliiiiightly above average, and my running is coming along, after contending with injuries for a while, I’m starting to get my groove back.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 6-year old son.

CURRENT TRAINING:
I train on my own time, not on my family’s time. What that means is that my training isn’t always so structured or consistent. I try to train 4-5 days a week. I mostly train alone, but I love running and riding with others when possible. I’ve become pretty good at finding ways to spend as much time as possible with my family, while still managing to be prepared on race day. You won’t see me cross the finish line at Kona any time soon, but, hey, fuhgetaboutit. (which, in this context means, “it’s no big deal”.)

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Last year, I finished IM70.3 Rhode Island, and a couple of smaller races, as well as the Montauk Century (in the rain) and the Great Hudson River Swim.

2009 RACES: This year, I’m focusing on OLYs and smaller races. I’ve got the Rev3 Oly in CT and the NYC Tri, as well as some sprints and the Montauk Century again. I’m a glutton for punishment. I would love to do another 70.3 late in 2010 or 2011. I haven’t ruled out an Ironman, but, I don’t have any on the horizon.

WEIGHTLOSS: I’ve lost as much as 20 lbs from what I was before I started training. I don’t really train for the purpose of losing weight, but it happens anyway.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
I’m a people person. No, seriously. I am. Ask anyone…
I’ve been in the sport for a few years and I read and research a lot, so I know a lot more than my finish times would indicate. I can definitely help you get faster if you’re slow, and I can probably help you get faster even if you’re already fast. And regardless, we’ll all have a lot of fun. I love this sport for the fitness and the competition; I love it for the bikes and the gear and all the shiny stuff that comes along with it. But most of all, I love triathlon for the people who do it. I’ve met so many amazing people on BT and made a lot of great friends, many of whom I’ve never even met in person. My mentor group on BT played a big part of getting me immersed in the sport and in the culture, and I’m looking forward to having the opportunity to pay it forward.

Thanks!

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2010-04-09 7:15 PM

2010-04-07 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2769503

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Jmk-brooklyn's mentor group- OPEN
I'd love to join your mentor group!  I have my first tri coming up this month and I think that I'm on track with training but I keep on coming up with more and more questions about logistics and stuff.  

The short version:  I've a 42 yo woman living in the Raleigh, NC area with a husband and two dogs.  Hannah is a 15 yo lab and Emma is a 7 yo golden.

My tri-ness started off with biking, then running and then swimming...

I'm coming from a cycling background.  Seven years ago, I got a golden retriever.  Someone took a picture of me with my new puppy and gave me the photo.  I looked at it and cried because I didn't recognize the overweight person with my dog!  That was a wake up call for me and I got on the bike.   I've been riding a lot since then -- 100ks and 100 milers and so forth. 

I ran until I was in college and my knees started bothering me.  A year and a half ago I started to run more too.  I did a du last April and then another du in November and then thought if only I could swim...  I had my first half marathon in January and my second one in February.  I feel like I am on track with running, although, to be honest, I think my biking may have suffered a little bit because of it (just not as much time in the saddle).  Then again, everyone's biking has suffered this year because the winter was so much worse than usual.

Swimming... Ah, the swim.  I changed gyms a little over a year ago.  The new gym had a pool.  The new gym was more expensive.  To justify the expense, I took adult swim lessons at the gym.  I had lessons as a kid but learned to hate the water when I was in high school.  At the time Iowa had a law on the books that you need to pass a swim test to graduate.  I passed the test my freshman year, moved to NJ with my family and never got in the pool again-- until after I turned 40!  Anyway, I started at  "but I really don't want to put my face in the water."  I took a bit of a pause and started up again this fall with private lessons after deciding that I really did want to make 2010 my first tri season.  I can do the distance but it takes me a long time.   I need to work on that.

P.S.  JMK = cool initials!
2010-04-07 4:06 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Awesome! Welcome aboard.

Wow—you’ve got some great races coming up. B2B looks like such a fun event. Cycling is definitely my favorite part of triathlon, even though swimming is my best event. I wish I had a road bike. I used to have one and, right when I began shopping for a tri-bike, I got hit by a car and my road bike got trashed. There was no clear person at fault, so the driver and I just let it go, but it means that I’m down to one bike. I have a century coming up and I’d much rather ride it on a roadie. I’d do more cycling events if I had one—I’d love to try a crit or a road race sometime.

Your traning is fantastic-you put me to shame. (will you be MY mentor? ) ? I’ve been kind of a slug since my half-ironman. I’m glad the weather is improving.

I think you’re going to crush that Olympic. Fire away with the logistics questions. Do you have aerobars on your bike? Not that you necessarily need them, but they’re a nice-ta-have, for sure.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2010-04-07 4:06 PM
2010-04-07 4:11 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
PS—

I have a friend on BT (and in real life!) who, like you, grew up in the midwest and never learned to swim as a kid. She took lessons when she decided to do tris, and went from being petrified before her first race in 2008 (that had a 400y swim in shallow open water) to racing two HIMs and an IM last year. This year she’s doing IMLP AND IMWI.
2010-04-07 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2775134

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Thanks.  I'm kind of worried about the OWS this weekend.  The distance is not an issue but I've only tried open water twice.  The second time went a lot better than the first but both times I felt winded which I don't feel at all in the pool.  I have heard this is normal but I'm not sure how to resolve it.  Hopefully the third time is the charm.

Newbie question #1 - NUMBERS There is a number for the bike, one for the helmet and race number.  I only need the race number / number belt for the run, right?

Newbie question #2 - CLOTHING Wear tritop under wetsuit?  It gets soaked and aren't you cold on the bike?  Or pull on top after getting out of wetsuit?  I kind of thought I'd look around and see what other people do :-)
2010-04-07 7:24 PM

User image

Jax, FL
Hi jmk, I would love to join in!

NAME: bdfl - Brian

STORY/FAMILY/WEIGHTLOSS:
Pretty simple, 36 yrs old, wife and 2 boys (5 & 2) so training is also sporadic but I do get in 4-6 days a week pretty regularly.  I live in Jacksonville, FL so I have no execuses to not get outside and train.  Have been pretty athletic my whole life as well (mainly football, tennis, past years a little mma training), but with kids and coaching their sports I got out of shape over past 5 years.  Since Feb 09 have dropped 50 lbs and looking to get to 200 lbs by end of summer (currently 230).  Did 2 Sprint tri's last year with my wife (also a newbie), had a blast, we both got the bug and have been training/learining as much as possible since.  Have met some great people at races and found the tri community to be very friendly & accepting.  I feel a mentor group will help make me accountable.  I am going to try an make my training log entires more complete and in depth as well.

2010 RACES:
03/19 - Gate River Run (15k)
04/18 - Marineland Sprint (St Aug, FL)
05/15 - BFAST Sprint (Ponte Vedra Bch, FL)
06/12 - BFAST Sprint (Ponte Vedra Bch, FL)
07/10 - BFAST Sprint (Ponte Vedra Bch, FL)
08/29 - Hammerhead Olympic Tri (Starke, FL)
10/03 - Ameliaman Olympic Tri (Amelia Island, FL)
12/05 - Key West Olympic Tri (Key West, FL)

2011: Hope to do a 1/2 Ironman
2012: Potential Full Ironman

2010-04-07 7:54 PM
in reply to: #2775507

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
bdfl - 2010-04-07 7:24 PM

Hi jmk, I would love to join in!

NAME: bdfl - Brian

STORY/FAMILY/WEIGHTLOSS:
Pretty simple, 36 yrs old, wife and 2 boys (5 & 2) so training is also sporadic but I do get in 4-6 days a week pretty regularly.  I live in Jacksonville, FL so I have no execuses to not get outside and train.  Have been pretty athletic my whole life as well (mainly football, tennis, past years a little mma training), but with kids and coaching their sports I got out of shape over past 5 years.  Since Feb 09 have dropped 50 lbs and looking to get to 200 lbs by end of summer (currently 230).  Did 2 Sprint tri's last year with my wife (also a newbie), had a blast, we both got the bug and have been training/learining as much as possible since.  Have met some great people at races and found the tri community to be very friendly & accepting.  I feel a mentor group will help make me accountable.  I am going to try an make my training log entires more complete and in depth as well.

2010 RACES:
03/19 - Gate River Run (15k)
04/18 - Marineland Sprint (St Aug, FL)
05/15 - BFAST Sprint (Ponte Vedra Bch, FL)
06/12 - BFAST Sprint (Ponte Vedra Bch, FL)
07/10 - BFAST Sprint (Ponte Vedra Bch, FL)
08/29 - Hammerhead Olympic Tri (Starke, FL)
10/03 - Ameliaman Olympic Tri (Amelia Island, FL)
12/05 - Key West Olympic Tri (Key West, FL)

2011: Hope to do a 1/2 Ironman
2012: Potential Full Ironman

Wow--you've got a busy calendar! What sports do you coach? That's great that your wife races with you. My wife runs occasionally and I got he a hybrid bike for her birthday last year, but I don't know if she'll ever do a tri. Maybe I'll get her to do a relay with me one day.

Welcome aboard!
2010-04-07 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2775587

User image

Jax, FL
Right now it is 4 & 5 yr old t-ball (and down here parents think they take it seriously).  I coached soccer in the fall.  I figure if I am going to be at their game, I mine as well be involved!  Yep, the wife is hooked as well so it is fun doing events together, if you get your to do a race, I bet she gets the bug also!  Looking forward to the next several months.

P.S. - My wife is Italian and grew up in westchester, NY so I am familiar with the NY terminology.
2010-04-07 8:08 PM
in reply to: #2775468

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
jmkizer - 2010-04-07 7:08 PM

Thanks.  I'm kind of worried about the OWS this weekend.  The distance is not an issue but I've only tried open water twice.  The second time went a lot better than the first but both times I felt winded which I don't feel at all in the pool.  I have heard this is normal but I'm not sure how to resolve it.  Hopefully the third time is the charm.

Newbie question #1 - NUMBERS There is a number for the bike, one for the helmet and race number.  I only need the race number / number belt for the run, right?

Newbie question #2 - CLOTHING Wear tritop under wetsuit?  It gets soaked and aren't you cold on the bike?  Or pull on top after getting out of wetsuit?  I kind of thought I'd look around and see what other people do :-)

Remember that the wetsuit adds a lot of bouyancy, which is always comforting in rough open water. I think feeling winded just might be getting used to being in the suit. Here's a trick: Try soaking it in the tub for a couple of hours and then let it drip dry the night before your swim. It won't dry all the way, but it'll be a little more pliable and less stiff when you swim with it. Emilio DeSoto (of Desoto Sports) posts on BT sometimes and that was one of his suggestions.

As to your question:

#1: Yes, you're usually only required to wear the bib number (you have a race number belt, right?) and the number on your bike. THe helmet number isn't usually mandatory--it's mostly there so that the photographers can identify you in the pictures that they take. I hate wearing helmet numbers because they're always hard to get off. Yes, on the run, you only need to wear the race number on your race belt. (does that answer your question?)

#2: Yes, wear the tri-top under the wetsuit. It'll be damp, but it won't be any colder than wearing a dry shirt over a wet body. Anyway, trying to put anything on over a wet torso is impossible. Try taking a shower and then, before you dry off, try getting into your tri top. Then imagine that with the T1 clock ticking....
2010-04-07 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2775615

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
bdfl - 2010-04-07 8:02 PM

Right now it is 4 & 5 yr old t-ball (and down here parents think they take it seriously).  I coached soccer in the fall.  I figure if I am going to be at their game, I mine as well be involved!  Yep, the wife is hooked as well so it is fun doing events together, if you get your to do a race, I bet she gets the bug also!  Looking forward to the next several months.

P.S. - My wife is Italian and grew up in westchester, NY so I am familiar with the NY terminology.

My son's six and we're still at the "playing catch" (in NY they call it "having a catch", which I always thought was weird) and taking BP stage. We might try to get him into Little League this summer--we'll see how it goes.
2010-04-08 4:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
Hi Jonah, I'd also like to join your group.

NAME: Stavros (most people just call me Stav)

STORY: I’m 33 and currently living in London, though moving to northampton soon (hopefully). My background is a little different to most. I entered a 3k fun run in July to see if I could complete it and was thoroughly unimpressed with my result (19min which I walked for at least half of, and it turned out to only be 1.5miles). This motivated me to find a training plan for a 5k run later in the year and found this site. One thing lead to another and now a mate and I are entered into our first sprint 10 days time!.

FAMILY STATUS: I’m soon to be living with my girlfriend. No kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: I've just starting the final 2 week taper of the 3x Balanced - 16 Week Sprint plan.

2010 RACES: My first race will be 18th April (pool based sprint), followed by the London Sprint in August.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've never really be concerned with my weight as it has only changed once in the last 15yrs (went up from 126lbs to a healthier 147bls).

I'm going to sign my mate up to the group as well as he's currently without internet (changing ISP)

Name: BlindDave - Adam

Story: He may have a different version of this, but I think he just got sort of swept into this by listening to me going on about tri's and then realising that there are 4 different length races and he has 4 yrs till his 40th - so 1 distance each year!

Family Status: Married with 3 kids - 14yr old girl, 9yr old son and 2yr old girl.

2010 Races: Pool based sprint race - 18th April and The London Triathlon (sprint) - 7th August.
Once his internet is back up I'll get him to introduce himself properly.

2010-04-08 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
JMK,

I see that you are doing Quassy this year.  I'll be interested to see what you think of it and REV3.  I am considering Cedar Point for next year.  Knoxville is also on my radar.
2010-04-08 11:52 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Stav and Adam:
Welcome-- nice to have a little international flavor. My wife and son and I are in the pre-pre-pre planning stages of a visit to London for the Olympics in 2012. Is it presumptuous of me to ask if we can sleep in your living room? Probably. Ok, never mind...

I've done a few pool-based indoor triathlons, since, unlike our lucky Florida contingent, we can't really race outside until May or so. . Is the whole race indoors or just the swim portion?
2010-04-08 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2776317

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
jmkizer - 2010-04-08 7:36 AM

JMK,

I see that you are doing Quassy this year.  I'll be interested to see what you think of it and REV3.  I am considering Cedar Point for next year.  Knoxville is also on my radar.

I have high expectations.

The Rev3 people are incredibly organized and communicative, from what I can tell. I did IM70.3 in Rhode Island last year, and you would have expected an IM-branded race to have it together. Instead, their website was a mess, no one would return calls or emails, the athlete guide wasn’t posted until a few days before the race. The race itself was fine, but for someone like me, who likes to plan everything way in advance, it was nerve-wracking, so I much prefer Rev3's approach which it to almost overcommunicate everything.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2010-04-08 11:59 AM
2010-04-08 1:04 PM

Athens
Hey Jonah,

Story: My name is John and I am 23 and a Vet Student at UGA here in Athens, GA. I have been running in races since High School (10k's) and more recently in the last couple of years several Half Marathons. I grew up in Marietta, Ga just west of Atlanta. I will be back home in the summer after school finishes here in a month. This is my first year to the sport. I was challenged by one of my friends who finished a Half IM and challenged me to try the sport and eventually complete a Half IM. My ultimate goal for the season is finish the Augusta Half Ironman. My strength is in running, my swim is 2nd and bike the third. My bike seems lagging just b/c I'm new to it and findng time to ride is always the most difficult. I have a tough time balancing school, the girlfriend, and training. Finding enough time in the day seems elusive sometimes

Family Status: Single, but I have a serious girlfriend who is in nursing school

Current Training: I am in my base as 20 weeks from my goal is not until may. I have modified one of the BT triathlon training plans and have dialed that down a bit as to prevent burnout before I hit it hard in May and I have more time to dedicate to training.

This Year's Races: I have my first triathlon this weekend! Its the first part of the Savannah Sprint Series in Savannah, GA. I want to do a Olympic or two this summer and then culminating with the Augusta Half Ironman in September.

Weightloss: A couple of pounds, but I get alot of comments from friends noticing how different I look. One of my girlfriend's friends said I was manorexic b/c I was training too much! haha

Goals to the Mentor Process: To find a group of diverse people to help motivate and answer questions to help spur me on to my fairly ambitious goal. Also, to help find creative ways to fit workouts in the day, talk gear (I'm a broke college kid though), and create some accountability.

Looking forward to the season and getting to know yall!

John
2010-04-08 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2777311

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
jmk-brooklyn - 2010-04-08 5:52 PM . . Is the whole race indoors or just the swim portion?

Just the swim, the rest is outdoors as normal

2010-04-08 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2777610

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Hey, John:

Cool! Thanks for joining us. We’ve got quite a diverse group here, don’t we?

I wish I had been motivated to train and race when I was younger. The period of time between the end of HS and, say, five years post graduate was probably the least healthy I’ve ever been. If I hadn’t married an ex-jock and met a group of fairly athletic people and started playing softball in my late 20’s, I’d probably weigh 500 lbs and have my own show on the Discovery Channel.

I think, being a strong runner, you’re already ahead of the game. Cycling is the easiest to get better at, because mostly, all that is required is time in the saddle. I know you’re a poor college student, but do you have a bike trainer or rollers? They’re a great way to make use of what little time you have to improve your bike fitness.

I can definitely help with finding gear at a reasonable price. I’m “the budget Triathlete”—I should write a book. There is very little that I own that wasn’t either a gift or bought second-hand or on clearance. I still covet all the new shiny stuff, but when it comes down to choosing between a family vacation and a new wheelset, it’s a pretty easy choice for me, espcially when the wheels I have get me from point a to point b just fine.
2010-04-08 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2777798

Athens
Yeah I have borrowed my Dad's nice Cyclops trainer for the past couple of months as he has had a toe injury. But just seems like there's no replacement for hills. I'll be getting on it in the next hour or so b/c its raining here. I have a 2005 Specialized Roubaix that I just picked up on Craigslist around Dec. It has wheel upgrades to the Mavic Ksyrium wheelset and Shimano 105's. I am contemplating whether to get clip on aero bars, but the routes I do here in Athens are pretty rolling and hilly, but where I will do most of my training this summer, it is perfectly flat. What do you think I should do? I just don't want to screw up a good thing, b/c I like my road bike set up how it is, but seems like everyone in the tri world is hung up on aero, and I want to do it if its going to help me get faster. I just don't have the cash right now for a tri bike! (I would love one though!)
2010-04-08 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2777926

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Jyounk - 2010-04-08 3:49 PM I like my road bike set up how it is, but seems like everyone in the tri world is hung up on aero, and I want to do it if its going to help me get faster.

I've been thinking about my bike situation too.  I am happy with my road bike and I'm unsure that I want to put aero bars on it.  It seems that a tri bike would be good for Beach2Battleship and beyond.  I'd love some guidance here.  To make matters more confusing, I'm used to my road bike options and completely unfamiliar with the tri manufacturers -- Guru, Cerevelo, Quintana Roo and Felt seem to be popular but that's all I know.  TrySports carries Kuota bikes but I'm not sure that I've seen one on the road.

As I understand it, the seat position needs to be adjusted once the tri bars are added.  That's part of my concern.

Edited by jmkizer 2010-04-08 5:11 PM
2010-04-08 4:03 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Next Question

NUMBERS ON BIKE -- I was given this fold over number thing for my bike.  Not sure how they want it on.  I've had to put numbers on my bike in my two duathlons but didn't to well there either.  Sorry for being such a dork.

front of numberback with adhesive

Edited by jmkizer 2010-04-08 5:10 PM
2010-04-08 10:01 PM
in reply to: #2778197

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
jmkizer - 2010-04-08 4:03 PM

Next Question

NUMBERS ON BIKE -- I was given this fold over number thing for my bike.  Not sure how they want it on.  I've had to put numbers on my bike in my two duathlons but didn't to well there either.  Sorry for being such a dork.

front of numberback with adhesive

No worries--Most people put it over the top tube, far forward enough that it doesn't hit your legs. (which it will do anyway if it's too windy). Some people, if they have enough seatpost and no bags or bottle cages back there, will put it around the seatpost.

The way I usually do it is to crease it along the middle (where it will fold over the tube). Then, unstick the adhesive closest to the fold and lay it very carefully so that the crease runs right down the middle of the top tube. Once it's set correctly, then caaaarefully pull away the rest of the adhesive backing and press the two halves together, making sure the edges line up.

I was looking for a photo to show you, but I don't have any that are great, since you rarely get shot from the side, but if you look at this picture from Lonestar 2007, you can kind of see the race number over my top tube.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albu...

ETA: I don't know what the heck is in my bottle in this picture. It looks like I'm drinking Cosmopolitains.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2010-04-08 10:23 PM

2010-04-08 10:13 PM
in reply to: #2777961

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
jmkizer - 2010-04-08 3:01 PM

Jyounk - 2010-04-08 3:49 PM I like my road bike set up how it is, but seems like everyone in the tri world is hung up on aero, and I want to do it if its going to help me get faster.

I've been thinking about my bike situation too.  I am happy with my road bike and I'm unsure that I want to put aero bars on it.  It seems that a tri bike would be good for Beach2Battleship and beyond.  I'd love some guidance here.  To make matters more confusing, I'm used to my road bike options and completely unfamiliar with the tri manufacturers -- Guru, Cerevelo, Quintana Roo and Felt seem to be popular but that's all I know.  TrySports carries Kuota bikes but I'm not sure that I've seen one on the road.

As I understand it, the seat position needs to be adjusted once the tri bars are added.  That's part of my concern.

You ride a Trek, right? They have the Equinox, which is a great tri bike. Most of the road manufacturers have a tri bike in their stable. My bike is also a Trek--it's one of their earliest tri bikes. It's a Trek Hilo 2001. There's a picture in my album. It looks like a relic compared to some of the carbon rocketships that get racked next to me in transition.

My thing about road vs tri bikes is this: remember that the dedicated tri bike is a fairly new (last 10yrs or so) invention. Meaning that lots of people, including some of the giants of this sport, raced lots of ironman-distance races on aluminum road bikes without aerobars and without disc wheels or aero helmets or many of the high-tech gear that average people use today, so it's not as if it can't be done. A tri bike will be faster, so you'll spend less time on the course, meaning you'll be fresher, better hydrated, and at less of a calorie deficit by the time you hit the run course, which is a good thing. Whether it's worth the money that it will cost to get a second bike is up to you to decide. You can always try a pair of clip-on aero bars and see if you like it. A friend of mine did IMFL last year on a road bike and did just fine. Lots of people do.

So, in short, you don't need a tri bike. But they are the right tool for the job, they are fast, and they sure are pretty...
2010-04-08 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2777926

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Jyounk - 2010-04-08 2:49 PM

Yeah I have borrowed my Dad's nice Cyclops trainer for the past couple of months as he has had a toe injury. But just seems like there's no replacement for hills. I'll be getting on it in the next hour or so b/c its raining here. I have a 2005 Specialized Roubaix that I just picked up on Craigslist around Dec. It has wheel upgrades to the Mavic Ksyrium wheelset and Shimano 105's. I am contemplating whether to get clip on aero bars, but the routes I do here in Athens are pretty rolling and hilly, but where I will do most of my training this summer, it is perfectly flat. What do you think I should do? I just don't want to screw up a good thing, b/c I like my road bike set up how it is, but seems like everyone in the tri world is hung up on aero, and I want to do it if its going to help me get faster. I just don't have the cash right now for a tri bike! (I would love one though!)

I would, if you want, get a pair of those short aerobars like you see on the ITU circuit. ITU races are the international triathlon union and the Olympic triathlon's governing body. The races are draft-legal, like a bike race, unlike ironman races or most of the races that are open to amateurs. The athletes ride road bikes with short aerobars that don't extend past the bends of their road bars. Since they spend most of the time riding in a peloton like a cycling race, they don't need or want the long bars (which are illegal anyway), but the short ones give them an aero option for if they're out in front and want to get into a more aero position. You won't need to change the setup on your bike for them.

Here's a picture of one of the ITU Team USA's bikes. You can see the short aerobars on it.

http://www.triathlondoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/img_0230....
2010-04-09 12:52 AM

New user

Subject: RE: Jmk-brooklyn's mentor group-
I would like to join your mentor group. I am new to the sport, however I am very keen and eager to progress in all three disciplines. I come from a swimming background and find cycling both enjoyable and relatively easy, however i am struggling with running. I am currently working on a lifestyle balanced program due to being a working father of four beautiful children.....

please except me. Joseph
2010-04-09 6:41 AM
in reply to: #2778909

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
jmk-brooklyn - 2010-04-08 11:01 PM  No worries--Most people put it over the top tube, far forward enough that it doesn't hit your legs. (which it will do anyway if it's too windy). Some people, if they have enough seatpost and no bags or bottle cages back there, will put it around the seatpost. The way I usually do it is to crease it along the middle (where it will fold over the tube). Then, unstick the adhesive closest to the fold and lay it very carefully so that the crease runs right down the middle of the top tube. Once it's set correctly, then caaaarefully pull away the rest of the adhesive backing and press the two halves together, making sure the edges line up. I was looking for a photo to show you, but I don't have any that are great, since you rarely get shot from the side, but if you look at this picture from Lonestar 2007, you can kind of see the race number over my top tube. http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albu... ETA: I don't know what the heck is in my bottle in this picture. It looks like I'm drinking Cosmopolitains.

Thanks!  I think that I found a photo that will help me to visualize it -- http://gallery.triduo.com/p/artistic_bike_patriots_half_triathlon_2009/1755-2321-2321-bac_26_27_1 (on the top tube), http://gallery.triduo.com/p/artistic_bike_patriots_half_triathlon_2009/1755-2317-2317-bac_26_27_1 (on the seat post)

Thanks for helping me work through this.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jmk-brooklyn's mentor group- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 15