Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Race Swag in 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-08 4:58 PM

Regular
Toronto, ON
Subject: Race Swag in 2013

Already off to a disappointing start.  Hats?  I already have a hat.  I "need"  shirts.  Lots of shirts.  One from every race.

Even if I wanted TWO hats, I don't want generic different-coloured hats; at least make sure the race name is on the different hats, even for small races.

(Granted, I'm only one data point, and MSC claims "the people have spoken", but they didn't ask me and the Internet was invented for ranting.)

2013-02-08 5:51 PM
in reply to: #4615094

Veteran
London, Ontario
Subject: RE: Race Swag in 2013

I am sorry you are disappointed. I wish I could address this to you personally but your profile does not have that information. If you like you can always contact me and I would be happy to discuss it with you.

We are trying to provide the options that our customers have suggested. I guess it goes to show you that you cannot please everyone, although we do try. Some people want tech tees, some want cotton, some want socks, some want a credit so they can buy other merchandise, alot complain that they have enough shirts. Unfortunately we are not a retail store and cannot carry inventory to satisfy everyone. What we do is put on triathlon and duathlon events, and I hope and think we do a pretty good job at that.

I do hope that you consider you get a safe and good quality race, a good post-race meal, Clif bars and Hammer samples in your race kit. This year we will also have a knapsack type of race kit bag, which you usually get at an Ironman type race.

For those who might be confused as to what this athlete is referring to, here is the February newsletter which announces that our registration is open, with some changes in 2013. Here is the link to the newsletter - http://multisportcanada.com/february-2013.html

I think that is pretty good value for the race fees. I hope you agree.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to add the other benefits we provide such as the multi-race discount, our season long draw with over $10,000 in prizes, TYR Racer of the Day prizes, The HERO of the day prizes and the club rewards program.

Edited by John Salt 2013-02-08 6:10 PM
2013-02-08 9:07 PM
in reply to: #4615168

User image

Last year was my first year of triathlon and I have more t-shirts then I know what to do with! IMO Its more difficult to find a nice running hat then it is a t-shirt. I just hope they are large as I have a big melon! I just completed my registration for my home town race in Woodstock and my first Half in Welland. I am looking forward to some great events. Thanks John.
2013-02-10 7:59 AM

New user

rockwood
Agree with fishwallop - not impressed with the hats as swag as I have no use for hats but with shirts - I haven't bought a shirt for a few years now as I get shirts from the many events I enter...but I am not entering these events for the swag so it doesn't really matter to me and swag does not influence my choice of events. Would like an option at registration to decline the swag...not even looking for a reduction in fees. Over the course of a season there are thousands of people entering the races so there will be lots of different opinions and likes/dislikes and must be difficult to meet all requests but I sure would be interested to know if it just a small noisy majority voicing their concerns about the technical shirts. I am sure bulk purchase(reduced cost) and logistics is a factor in offering just one type of swag.
2013-02-10 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I agree it certainly is not going to effect when and where I race, But I was disapointed with the hat announcment as well. and MSC does run a great events.

Edited by RRH_88 2013-02-10 8:35 AM
2013-02-10 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4616170

Veteran
London, Ontario
I am really happy to see that the most important factor in picking a race is the quality of the event. We believe we do a good job at that and it appears that you agree. As far as swag goes you are 100% correct. It appears to be virtually impossible to make everyone happy. Over the years we have asked about swag in various surveys and the suggestions are all over the map. I can tell that it is personally very frustrating to me because I would love to make all of our customers happy. Having said that, we have explored many different options and while expense is a factor, the bigger factor is race day logistics. By that I mean being able to get the swag into a customers hands without causing congestion during registration. You would need a shirt line, the hat line, the sock line, the need to label the various items so they get to the right customer and additional staff to manage the process, all while trying to keep the line moving. If you want to see an unhappy athlete/customer then just keep them in a line-up for too long before the race starts. In offering different options you will need additional product in case the sizing was incorrect, I can assure you that customers would then have an expectation they should be able to exchange products, which means we would have to carry inventory.As you know in 2013 we will be giving away Headsweats hats and we will see what our customers think by asking about it in the post-race surveys. In the end I guess the best I can hope for is that customers are really happy with a safe race and knowing we are trying to do our best to make them happy.

Edited by John Salt 2013-02-10 1:25 PM

2013-02-10 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4616405

Veteran
London, Ontario
Sorry for the lengthy paragraph in the previous post. For some reason indentation and return was not being picked up when responding with an iPhone.
2013-02-10 2:10 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Admittedly, I much prefer a tech tee to a hat, but I undertsand that everyone is different.  I won't pay $15 for a t-shirt after the fact.  I actually really liked it when race orgs moved to tech tees because they make so much sense for athletes.  But, as mentioned, you can't please everyone.

One area that I would like to see a small improvement with MSC are the medals.  It's not always the same people that reach the podium, and having a generic medal is a little disappointing.  Take a look at the medals handed out by WEC that are personalized for each event - looks like the medal acknowledges the success of reaching the podium. 

2013-02-10 2:12 PM

User image

Sarnia
Geez who cares about the bloody swag. Just race for Gid's sakes.
2013-02-10 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4616431

Veteran
London, Ontario

I realize that the medals are generic and impersonal and that is why we have our personalized awards. Neil, were you are aware of our personalized awards for people who make the podium?

What other series gives the people on the podium a personalized Finishers picture with their name, date and location of the race, their time and position in their age group?

I would suggest that a personalized award is a little nicer than any medal.

I will leave it with you, medal with a race name on it or medal AND personalized award? Which do you prefer?

Here is the link where you can see an image of the award. 

http://www.msctriathlon.com/ms/events/awards.cfm

Edited by John Salt 2013-02-10 3:38 PM
2013-02-10 3:45 PM

User image

Orangeville, ON

I have a collection of hats that I almost never use, but I'm always short of t-shirts to train. However, my decision to compete in particular triathlon in not based on what I get back in goodies. I value many things including organization, scenery, distance from home, course design, water quality, good roads, helpful volunteers, etc. I experienced most of these in numerous races held by both series.

My 5 cents....

2013-02-10 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4615168

Regular
Toronto, ON

John,

My OP was a rant.  I recognize the challenge you face and the impossibility of pleasing everybody.  MSC does a lot of things right: both events I've been to have been well-organized and fun, and several other races look like they have unique character which, schedule permitting, I'd like to experience firsthand.  As for the swag, just keep the barbeque and I'll keep signing up for the races.

The problem with surveys is that people will say anything if they don't have a strong investment in the outcome.  I mean, the fact that some people said they wanted socks is a clear indication that you should just ignore your customers anyway.

Because' I've knocked over the anthill, I'll continue in a slightly more thoughtful vein (I hope).

I run in tech or compression shirts.  In my neighbourhood (south/east Toronto) I frequently see other runners wearing the recognizable blue Toronto Triathlon Festival Nike shirt, or bright red MSC shirts (usually the big "T", but often from other races).  If I'm wearing a local triathlon's shirt, we unfailingly exchange smiles and waves.  Even if I am not wearing race swag, the very fact that others do makes me feel like I'm part of a larger community when I'm out training, and that's an important motivating feeling for me.

The shirts also act as moving billboards.  There's a great shirt from the Midsummer Night's Run I've seen a few times this winter that's got angel wings on the back.  When I see it, I think:

• - that's a cool shirt, and I'd like to have one like that, and
  • I've seen that shirt a few times, so it must be a popular race, which suggests it's a good event, and therefore,
  • I should look up that race and consider going to it.
  • (And: the wings are on the back, so I'm chasing someone again.  I need to keep training so I can get faster).

I'm not sure that hats are as recognizable or as noticeable.  I have never once seen another runner wearing their Downsview Half-Marathon Hat.  (If my wife had her way, no  other runners would ever see me wearing it - I agree it's not the most aesthetically pleasing object).

While I recognize that the goal in offering an alternative to shirts may be responsive to what customers say their wants are, it also seems (at least from this forum) that demand is inelastic with respect to certain components of the product (e.g. changes to race clothing, or moderate variances in OAT fees).  Given that's the case, why not choose the option that gets you the most visibility?  When you gave out shirts, some people wore them.  If you gave me a t-shirt instead of a tech shirt, there would be times I'd wear that - probably in a different social context.  Last summer, when I wore my race shirts, people asked me about them.  If you give out shirts, the people who don't want shirts won't wear them.  The rest of us will, and it's advertising for you.  If you don't give out shirts, nobody is going to wear them.

Since you're offering them, I'm very interested to find out how shirt sales will go for the 2013 season.  My prediction, based on my own, admittedly irrational, consumer bias not to pay extra money for a shirt this year when the shirt was "free" [sunk cost] last year, is that shirt sales will not be substantial.  But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Cheers,

oscar [@] strawczynski.com

PS - you raise the issue of exchanging products.  Last year I was a size L, so if I'm not getting free size M shirts this year, perchance do you have any leftover M from Binbrook and Toronto Island 2012? Innocent

2013-02-10 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4616511

User image

Expert
Pampero - 2013-02-10 4:45 PM

I have a collection of hats that I almost never use, but I'm always short of t-shirts to train. However, my decision to compete in particular triathlon in not based on what I get back in goodies. I value many things including organization, scenery, distance from home, course design, water quality, good roads, helpful volunteers, etc. I experienced most of these in numerous races held by both series.

My 5 cents....

This.

I have 5 running hats that I barely ever wear, one from Trisport Canada (from finishing first Athena at a race years ago), 2 from welland half IMs, one from IMFL and one from IMWI.  If I wear a hat (very rarely - 5 to 15C and rain) I will wear one of my IM hats.  Typically, it I wear head wear, it is a visor.  I honestly will throw away hats if I get any more.  (I think I actually through out a few last year).  Tech shirts, I wear them all the time.  In fact, I was wearing my flourescent yellow race crew shirt all weekend at Great Wolf Lodge with my neice and nephews.  love getting tech tees at races.  They last a few seasons and then I replace them when they start getting smelly.  I can't remember the last time I bought a tech tee and I think it is awesome.  Oh well...

Oh, and I love the free pictures for the top three athletes I think that is an awesome idea and also great advertisement for the series.  I know lots of people that post those pics on facebook.

Edited by Daffodil 2013-02-10 7:16 PM
2013-02-11 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4616581

Veteran
London, Ontario

Oscar, thanks for identifying yourself. I realize it was a rant and that you also support the series, for which I am thankful. Unless you are just having some fun, I would suggest you are being a little harsh when you say that some people’s choices are an indication I should ignore them. I never ignore a customer. My attitude is, if someone is going to take the time to provide feedback in a survey, then I should read it and consider reasonable suggestions. In the case of socks I understand that many who have suggested them are also people who say they have too many shirts, whether tech or cotton, and would appreciate something useful like socks. You would be surprised at how many people have suggested them. In the end I think there are are more people who want to be able to show they participated in a race and a shirt and/or a hat will give them that opportunity.

Back to the shirt discussion. 

As you say a shirt can be a walking billboard. And, while I understand brand and the need to "get it out there", in this case I want to offer something that people will like and wear as a casual fashion item. If they do that and the design is different I hope people will ask where they got the cool shirt. When they say at MultiSport Canada, I will be happy. I believe that will be better advertising than seeing a logo on a shirt that someone is wearing as they run past you.

We are always trying to raise the bar and trying to be different and responsive to our athlete/customers. To me having a shirt that screams triathlon and MultiSport Canada is not different enough. You may be very right and we not sell many shirts, but trust me, at $15 a shirt we are not going to make any real money. We have the cost of a higher quality shirt, royalties to Apres Velo and more administration in getting the shirts to our customers at races. We will have a separate tent for pick-up so the line-ups for race kit pick-up are faster this year. So, it is not about the money, it is about trying to do something different for our customers that I hope they will like. If they do, I think we win.

In the 20+ years I have competed in triathlon it is rare that you see a really cool shirt design. So, I will take full responsibility for making the decision to have great designs this year that will have a subtle reference to MSC, rather than "blast" MSC for marketing purposes. The MSC logo will appear on the back of the race shirts, but that’s it. I suspect you might be right on the sales numbers but I can tell you that with the almost 500 entries we had in the first 48 hours after registration opened that about 50% have purchased shirts and we have had requests from people to just buy the shirt designs they like.

We will continue to try and do all we can for our customers. First and foremost will be safe and fun races. We will continue to respond to athletes who take the time to provide suggestions, we will continue to have our Club Rewards program, the personalized Finishers picture award, the TYR and Hero Racers of the Day, the season long draw (extra ballots if you complete a post-race survey), Water Quality Policy, along with all the other extras. I will also continue to be personally available to anyone who wishes to discuss what we do or how we do it. It is one of the reasons I take the time to be on forums such as Beginner Triathlete. It is also the reason I told you I would discuss it in my original response to you.

And yes, we will still have the HERO burgers this year so I guess that means we will see you at our races. When you do come out please take the time to say hello in person. Otherwise I will see you at the Finish to shake your hand.

Edited by John Salt 2013-02-11 9:15 AM
2013-02-11 9:17 AM
in reply to: #4616434

User image

Toronto-ish

Zaj, I believe people care about the swag because they know at the end of the day, they're paying for it.

I'm with what appears to be the majority here, hats are useless to me. Hopefully organizers will keep the feedback in mind for future years - I'm guessing they're still figuring some things out, like logistics and how to maximize profits, so they're likely fairly attentive to what their customers are saying.

2013-02-11 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4617242

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

I for one am happy that there is a change from the standard race tech-tee-shirt.

I've done MCS triathlons since 2006 (total 25+ races), plus tons of other races and I've donated more Tech-T-shirts than I can remember.  After all  these years my favorite souvenirs from races are the ones that are memorable - a touque from the 2007 Whitby waterfront 10miler,  socks from the Good Friday Burlington Road Race. Onve you get 3 tech T-shirts the marginal value of another one is low. At least cotton shirts make good chain grease rags.

2013-02-11 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4616505

User image

Elite
Ontario
John Salt - 2013-02-10 4:36 PM

I realize that the medals are generic and impersonal and that is why we have our personalized awards. Neil, were you are aware of our personalized awards for people who make the podium?

What other series gives the people on the podium a personalized Finishers picture with their name, date and location of the race, their time and position in their age group?

I would suggest that a personalized award is a little nicer than any medal.

I will leave it with you, medal with a race name on it or medal AND personalized award? Which do you prefer?

Here is the link where you can see an image of the award. 

http://www.msctriathlon.com/ms/events/awards.cfm

Somehow, I completely missed that there was a photo offered.  Live and learn.

2013-02-11 4:24 PM

Regular
Toronto, ON

@John -

My comment about the socks was only half-serious.  My PS about the shirt exchange was not at all.  The fact that you emailed me about it only reinforces my belief that you run a classy operation.

I've now put my money where my mouth is, and signed up for Binbrook tri and Toronto Island sprint. We'll see about other races once I decide whether to run a fall marathon.

[After previewing this post, I realized what follows sounds more negative than it's intended to be.  It's just a description of my experience, and the "pinch points" I'm feeling as a customer, and should not be read as a complaint for which I'm looking for resolution.]

Registration was made a bit cumbersome by the fact that you have to go off and get a TriOnt registration especially since it asked for much of the same information.  I don't understand why EventsOnline wasn't smart enough to realize I needed the a series license and process my sign-up in two automated steps.

I also didn't like that I couldn't sign up for Toronto Island GIT and Sprint in one pass.  They're on different days, so registration should allow it.  I know a bunch of people who did that last year, and you may have lost an impulse purchase from me ...

Despite my earlier complaint about the hat, I liked that the registration process at least showed me I'm getting two different-coloured hats.  The option for buying shirts was also well presented, and I almost bought the Binbrook shirt, except I found the sizing information incomprensible.  What the heck is 20" front of armpit to front of armpit?  How does that relate to standard sizes (e.g. 40" suit, 15.5 shirt)?  I'm assuming I actually need something bigger than an "M" the way they measure, but I'm apparently too thick (literally and figuratively) to figure it out without actually trying one on.  I guess that means no Binbrook shirt for me - if I'm lucky, I can figure out the sizes at the race and know what to order if I decide to get one for a later race.

Cheers,

Oscar

2013-02-12 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4616581

Master
Kitchener
fishwallop - 2013-02-10 6:34 PM

John,

My OP was a rant.  I recognize the challenge you face and the impossibility of pleasing everybody.  MSC does a lot of things right: both events I've been to have been well-organized and fun, and several other races look like they have unique character which, schedule permitting, I'd like to experience firsthand.  As for the swag, just keep the barbeque and I'll keep signing up for the races.

The problem with surveys is that people will say anything if they don't have a strong investment in the outcome.  I mean, the fact that some people said they wanted socks is a clear indication that you should just ignore your customers anyway.

Because' I've knocked over the anthill, I'll continue in a slightly more thoughtful vein (I hope).

I run in tech or compression shirts.  In my neighbourhood (south/east Toronto) I frequently see other runners wearing the recognizable blue Toronto Triathlon Festival Nike shirt, or bright red MSC shirts (usually the big "T", but often from other races).  If I'm wearing a local triathlon's shirt, we unfailingly exchange smiles and waves.  Even if I am not wearing race swag, the very fact that others do makes me feel like I'm part of a larger community when I'm out training, and that's an important motivating feeling for me.

The shirts also act as moving billboards.  There's a great shirt from the Midsummer Night's Run I've seen a few times this winter that's got angel wings on the back.  When I see it, I think:

• - that's a cool shirt, and I'd like to have one like that, and
  • I've seen that shirt a few times, so it must be a popular race, which suggests it's a good event, and therefore,
  • I should look up that race and consider going to it.
  • (And: the wings are on the back, so I'm chasing someone again.  I need to keep training so I can get faster).

I'm not sure that hats are as recognizable or as noticeable.  I have never once seen another runner wearing their Downsview Half-Marathon Hat.  (If my wife had her way, no  other runners would ever see me wearing it - I agree it's not the most aesthetically pleasing object).

While I recognize that the goal in offering an alternative to shirts may be responsive to what customers say their wants are, it also seems (at least from this forum) that demand is inelastic with respect to certain components of the product (e.g. changes to race clothing, or moderate variances in OAT fees).  Given that's the case, why not choose the option that gets you the most visibility?  When you gave out shirts, some people wore them.  If you gave me a t-shirt instead of a tech shirt, there would be times I'd wear that - probably in a different social context.  Last summer, when I wore my race shirts, people asked me about them.  If you give out shirts, the people who don't want shirts won't wear them.  The rest of us will, and it's advertising for you.  If you don't give out shirts, nobody is going to wear them.

Since you're offering them, I'm very interested to find out how shirt sales will go for the 2013 season.  My prediction, based on my own, admittedly irrational, consumer bias not to pay extra money for a shirt this year when the shirt was "free" [sunk cost] last year, is that shirt sales will not be substantial.  But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Cheers,

oscar [@] strawczynski.com

PS - you raise the issue of exchanging products.  Last year I was a size L, so if I'm not getting free size M shirts this year, perchance do you have any leftover M from Binbrook and Toronto Island 2012? Innocent

I think this is a well written post and agree with the comments, as well as the other posts who indicated they are not interested in hats.   In 7 years, I have kept only one hat, from the first tri I did which was a woman's series and the hat was a technical fabric, nice design, fit a woman's head, functional and actually looked good.   

I loved when technical shirts were introduced.   Yes, you do accumulate a lot when racing 8 or 9 times a year, but with all the training, they get trashed fairly quickly with all the dirt and sweat and washings.   It's nice not having to 'buy' shirts to train in.   And it is especially nice getting the odd shirt that has an interesting design and doesn't scream triathlon.   I often where those to the gym and have people asking about them. 

Most people want to get something for their money and when a race is well run like the MSC series, swag is of less importance.    The special attention during the awards is important, I feel, and hope MCS continues to take their time with them.  It drives me crazy when they are given out so fast, you can't even tell who won what award and as an award winner you don't feel too special having to run up, throw on a smile and run back to your 'seat'.    And yes, I do realize time is a factor. 

Looking forward to racing with MSC this year and hoping I love the hats.

Anne

2013-02-12 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON

I have 4 Tech shirts to date from MSC.  I wear them all semi regularly because they serve a function.  The newer ones from 2012 I can wear wherever during daily life, and then when they get a year old they get relegated to work out shirts for training. 

I don't wear hats, and getting a few hats this year doesn't really seem practical. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've never podium'd or placed so the shirt is kinda my reward for finishing a triathlon. My little badge of honour saying "hey, you got through it, you bettered your time, and you can actually do it.)   Wasn't aware of the change, and I'm sure it's moot now, but can't say I like the idea of a hat. No way am I paying $15 bucks for a shirt when they are "free" in every other event I do. TSC, or any running events.

Just my two cents.

2013-02-12 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4618655

Veteran
London, Ontario

Anne,

Thanks for the kind words. I promise we will continue to take our time with the awards. I too hope you like the hats. They are technical and adjustable.

2013-02-13 10:54 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

John,

The MSC website is indicating that you should be entering a predicted finishing time for your race.  I didn't have that happen when I signed up for the Gravenhurst Olympic.  Is it only for certain races you're doing this?  I see in the confirmation it's a possible field, but I double checked the sign up process and it didn't come up.

2013-02-13 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4620686

Regular
Toronto, ON
I think the newsletter said it's only for the "bigger" races - Toronto Island and Wasaga Beach.  It came up for me for Toronto Island.

Edited by fishwallop 2013-02-13 10:58 AM
2013-02-13 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4620697

User image

Elite
Ontario

That's what I initially thought as well, but the website is worded differently.  They make it sound like it is for all races, and the final page of registration is a template that makes it look like you may have missed entering a finishing time.

Online Registration Process Overview

Here is an overview of each page in the Events Online Registration System. Please take a moment to review these steps, especially the areas that are highlighted. There are important changes and/or additions to previous years.

Here are some of the things to watch for:

• We are now asking you to provide us with an approximate Finish time. We will be using this to configure wave starts so you are racing against athletes with the same ability.

From confirmation email:

pred_time_woodstock ::
pred_time_binbrook ::
pred_time_welland ::
pred_time_huronia ::
pred_time_gravenhurst ::
pred_time_belwood ::
pred_time_bracebridge ::
pred_time_bala ::
pred_time_toronto ::
pred_time_wasaga ::
pred_time_lakeside ::

2013-02-13 7:10 PM
in reply to: #4620927

Veteran
London, Ontario

We'll go back and check the wording but in the meantime Fishwallop and the newsletter are right. This year it is for Toronto Island and Wasaga Beach. If it works well and the customers like it we may implement the system for all races. It's all about creating the best race environment for the athlete/customer.

If you ever need a clarification for something or are not sure the best thing would be to contact us directly.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Race Swag in 2013 Rss Feed  

of 2