Korean Triathlon Federation
30C / 86F
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 30m 50s
Overall Rank = 7/600
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Terrible sleep night before, ex girlfriend called at 12am, had 2 hours sleep, room was too hot. Woke up feeling excited and tired, but thankfully had 8 hours previous night.
Ate breakfast (bread, banana, jam) 3hours prior to race, drank sports drink up until 30 mins before race start.
Felt tired but ready for race prior to starting. Maybe ate too much?
Event warmup:

swam for 5 minutes in the lake, no cycling or running, too tired.
Swim
  • 29m 24s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

Excellent swim really, had a good start, kept away from people, some traffic around the course, but I swam on the inside of the lane rope which was about 30cm below the water much of the time, so I avoided much of the traffic. Felt like being sick a few times on the swim, pushing hard after eating a little too much at breakfast I think
What would you do differently?:

Nothing except have a better sleep the night before! On a couple of occasions I got caught in the rope and had to stop swimming, but overall it was an excellent swim, perhaps I went a little too hard which told in the run, should have eaten a little less.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Swim exit and run to bike was good, felt a little tired. We had to place all gear into a plastic bag which took a while to pack. Slow transition, but much to do, gels took a while to load into the suit.

Nothing, although it was slow I think I did the best I could, nothing went wrong.
Bike
  • 2h 22m 5s
  • 88 kms
  • 37.16 km/hr
Comments:

Pushed pretty hard on the bike, maybe a little too much, but everyone else was too and I didn't want to get left behind! Ate 7 gels and three bottles of sports drink, as well as race supplied water.
Aid stations were only supplying water, no sports drink.
spent whole cycle in areo position, bar a couple of short climbs. Was drafted by a Korean man for 70% of the race! Felt like being sick a few times on the cycle.

One time I messed up my gearing, which cost me about 30 seconds on a climb, other than that not much. Good pace, although hard and good cadence.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Sat down for transition, took things out of hanging bag (not able to set things up on floor). Forgot to wipe feet...had small pebbles in my socks for whole run.
Put socks on, no way I could have run without. put one gel in my back and sunscreen as well as carried a gatorade.

Not much, again it was a slow transition but I needed to prepare for the run, I was pretty happy with it.
Run
  • 1h 39m 22s
  • 21 kms
  • 04m 44s  min/km
Comments:

Let myself down here. Tried to take on water, missed one aid station which may have cost me. Only drank 1/4 of gatorade bottle at start of run.
Didn't put water on head or body, big mistake, didn't cool myself down for fear of getting shoes wet. Stopped twice to pee, urine was bright yellow. Didn't want to take on water, stomach was aching, legs felt OK. Last 7km felt like 15km, felt tingling on my skin, boarder line heat stroke I think. Felt flushes of heat running through body, HR gradually dropped and I couldn't prevent it, eventually ran at 149bpm. Negative thoughts were rampant on the run home, questions like "Why am I doing this" and "I don't want to do the Ironman" were running through my brain, as well as "Where the b-jeepers is the finish!".

Very disappointed with my run, didn't think properly. Should have taken on more water, and cooled myself at each aid station with water on my head. Felt like I wasn't going to make it back!
Post race
Warm down:

Exhausted! Got an ice massage for 15minutes.
Walked around for 15 minutes and then ate lunch, felt like being sick.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat exhaustion and dehydration, needed to cool myself more, perhaps take on a few more gels in the cycle. Could have taken it a little easier in the swim.

Event comments:

After all is said and done, I gave my best in this race, couldn't have tried any harder or mentally pushed myself much harder without collapsing.
My knowledge of how to race an event like this is limited and it showed, perhaps I swam and biked too hard, but I am happy with the place I achieved as a result of this. The main fault I made was not taking on enough water on the run and not cooling myself while running, I skipped one aid station and in 30 degree heat with 75% humidity that's not a good idea. I will do this race again next year.

Last updated: 2004-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:24 | 2000 meters | 01m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/600
Performance: Good
Not available, HR on exiting swim was 160bpm
Suit: Orca P'flex
Course: 2 lap course in Lake behind a dam. Water was very murky, but the course was well marked with lane ropes and 3 large buoys. 3 wave start, I was in the third wave (based on race number) 6 minutes behind first group.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 18F / -8C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:13
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:22:05 | 88 kms | 37.16 km/hr
Average HR 160, max 166bpm Started on 164bpm, but HR settled at 160bpm for much of the cycle
Wind: Some
Course: Excellent course, big down hill from lake and then sharp turn into bike. Nice steady downhill to start the race, pretty flat course, some small rolling hills and a handful of sharp turns, but generally a fast course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:39:22 | 21 kms | 04m 44s  min/km
Performance: Bad
Average HR 155bpm Max 165bpm
Course: Mainly flat, with some gentle rolling parts, out and return course.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-07-26 10:01 AM

Subject: DMZ Iron Triangle Half Ironman

2004-07-26 10:14 AM
in reply to: #40338

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: DMZ Iron Triangle Half Ironman
Wow, what a great result! Congratulations! Sorry to hear you didn't fell well for much of it though. Good job hanging in there!

Kelly
2004-07-26 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
WOW - fantastic time - I can only dream!!!!!!!!! If I finished 2 hours slower I'd be happy.

Congratulations!!!
2004-07-27 2:10 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
You did awesome!  Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » DMZ Iron Triangle Half Ironman Rss Feed