Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2008-12-16 11:13 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Aikidoman's Group - FULL!

NAME: Aikidoman/”Kido”/Jim

STORY: I am a 40 year-old male and Clydesdale.  My training for triathlons started in December of 2006 and I have completed two full seasons of racing and training.  Triathlon is something I had dreamed of doing since I saw the Kona Ironman on TV as a kid.  

For years, I did “triathlon” as part of my workouts, which basically meant jumping in the pool for some laps, do some MTN bike riding, and some running – but with no structure or plan.  Then I had several years of a pretty sedentary lifestyle. 

I had finally gotten upset with my level of fitness, and the extra weight I had put on, and had an impending wedding.  So one day, I found a spring race, and told myself “this is it, a new goal, a new hobby, and a way to drop some weight and regain my fitness”.  

I purchased a cheap triathlon bike online, some new running shoes and swim gear, and I was off.  I did a LOT of research and asked a LOT of questions about triathlon, and added to my previous knowledge of running and training. 

I completed that first race, and I was hooked.  I knew it was something I wanted to continue doing.  Two years and an Ironman later, I am still as passionate, if not more so, for swim/bike/run. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a wonderful woman for just over a year.  (Who’s supportive of me and my time spent in this sport).   

CURRENT TRAINING: I’m currently doing some offseason training but typically train pretty hard.  I tend to focus on Olympic and HIM distance races and just finished training for an Ironman.  I train using an HRM and use the LT method to determine HR zones. 

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Last year, I competed in 6 races - a half marathon, an HIM, 3 Olympic Distance races, and the Silverman full Ironman (which I placed first in my division).  IM training caused me to sacrifice a couple shorter races that I would have normally done. 

2009 RACES:  This year, I plan to focus on the shorter distance races (Olympic) and throw an HIM or two in as well.  I have not decided if I will be doing another Ironman in 2009 or not.  I plan to participate in a majority, of not all, of my local races:

• Rage in the Sage 6 (Olympic or HIM)
  • St. George Tri (Olympic)
  • Utah State Games (Olympic)
  • Kokopelli (Olympic)
  • Pumkinman (Olympic or HIM)
  • Showdown at Sundown (Olympic)
  • Lake Las Vegas Triathlon (Olympic)
  • Las Vegas Triathlon (Olympic or HIM)
  • Silverman (HIM or IM)

There is also several “destination” races I am considering, such as Escape from Alcatraz (if I get in), and Vineman, and a half dozen running events as well, including the Las Vegas Marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I am currently down 20 lbs from my max weight and have a specific goal to lose 15 more this season. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I have a passion for triathlon.  As with all of my passions, I do research, ask questions, and I study, extensively.  I feel pretty knowledgeable in the areas of training (specifically HR and RPE training), technique, and equipment (and I’m not shy to share that knowledge!)  I am on BT just about every day and will have time to respond quickly to any inquiries. I LOVE to talk, so be prepared for long and overly thorough answers to questions! (I like to get into the ‘WHY’ of training, not just the ‘how’ )  I like to make rounds in people's logs and provide inspiration.  I know I might not have all the answers, (I still ask plenty of questions myself), but I feel I am at a point in my tri career in which I can offer solid advice to others based on my experience.  I've learned a lot over the past few years, made plenty of mistakes, but continue to make improvements and be competitive in my races, specifically, in my division.

As a Clydesdale, I can also give my unique insight on issues that the “bigger set” has to deal with in triathlon, racing, equipment, etc.

As I mentioned before, I’m a strong advocate of HR training using the LT method for setting HR zones.  It is a very popular method of training, so others on BT can provide insight if I don’t have an answer or if you require a second opinion.

I like to make triathlon FUN for myself, and I would strive to make it fun and perhaps a little less “intimidating” to those just beginning, or those interesting in taking that next step to a longer race such as an HIM or even an IM.

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-12-19 9:13 AM

2008-12-16 3:23 PM
in reply to: #1856564

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Subject: RE: Aikidoman's Group - OPEN

Jim, would love to join your group.... 

NAME: Robb

STORY: I am a 38 year-old male and Clydesdale.  I started training for triathlons in the spring of 2007 when I had that "moment"...  Playing on the floor with my older daughter and I had to roll over to get up.  Weighing in a 272, the most I had ever weighted.  I knew I had to do something, so with a mountain biking background, never swam and hating running, I took up the most logical activity.... Triathlon. 

I am now down to 220 lbs., finished my first half distance race (Silverman 2008) and am signed up for IM Wisconsin next year (along with a return to Silverman 1/2). 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Michelle who loves sprint distance triathlons (she was 6 time NCAA Champion in the 50 and 100 free during her college years) with two daughters, Samantha and Hailey who invariably ask at each finish line... "did you win Daddy?"... 

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Last year, I competed in 6 races - Gear West Duathlon, Lake Minnetonka Triathlon, Waconia Triathlon, Lifetime Fitness, Turtleman and finally Silverman 1/2.  I am typically in the top 10% range for swimming, biking falls back a bit but not much and running... well, I haven't been last yet!

2009 RACES:  This year, I will be moving up to the Full Distance race at IM  Wisconsin.

• Lake Minnetonka Half-Marathon 
  • Gear West Duathlon
  • Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic
  • Liberty 1/2 - HIM
  • Waconia - Sprint (long)
  • Lifetime Fitness (Olympic)
  • Ironman Wisconsin 
  • Silverman (HIM or IM)

WEIGHTLOSS:  Currently sitting at 221.0 this morning, looking to be around 205 by race day for IMWisconsin

2008-12-16 5:34 PM
in reply to: #1857168

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Robb,

Your in.  Welcome!  Hopefully you find it usefull.

2008-12-17 10:41 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Jim, i hope i would be a good fit for your group!!

NAME: Rudy, Rudedog55

STORY: I am a 40 year-old male and Clydesdale.  My training for triathlons started in August of 2008, quite honestly i got sick of being Fat and Lazy. So i got on my bike and started riding, then i decided to take it to the next level so i started running and swimming with a buddy and signed up for my first tri in Sept of 08, i completed two sprints and took off 25lbs. There is still a ton of work i have to do. After my first Tri, i fell in love with it, even though the first race was very painful, physically and emotionally, but when i finished i knew this would be something i would be doing for a long time. I joined the local gym to keep the workouts going in the winter, and built a Tri bike for next years races.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a wonderful woman for just over a year.  (Who’s supportive of me and my time spent in this sport).   <<<< exactly what you said!!! If it was not for my wifes support and understanding this would be harder than it already is.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am loosly following an Olympic plan here on BT, i have no bike trainer and winter came early in the North East this year, i should be getting one for X-mas, i have been running frequently and swimming in the Gym pool at least once week.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Last year, I competed in 2 races - A micro sprint and a full Sprint, both in September, i was mop in the bike and swim of both and almost DFL in the run of all the competitors male and Female

2009 RACES:  This year, I plan to do 8 or 9 races, the longes distance this year being an Oly. I am currently signed up for the Nautica NYC Tri and 4 sprints and am waiting for the reggie to open on the others. I have some time goals i would like to meet in all my races and PR the two i did last year.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I am currently down 25 lbs from my max weight of 260 lbs and i need to work harder and lose another 30 to get down to 210-215.

2008-12-17 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1858685

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Welcome Rudedog.

I hope I can be helpful!

2008-12-18 1:45 PM

User image

Pro
Eureka, Ca

Dude I'm in for some learnin!

edit:

NAME: Geoff aka The Hulk

STORY: Decided to switch from heavy weight training to something that will slim me down

FAMILY STATUS: married for one year... 2 teens boys from previous marriage

LAST YEAR'S RACES: none... i'm a slacker and got into this late...

2009 RACES:  I'm shooting to do an HIM this summer... i've deciced to push myself harder than ever before.

WEIGHTLOSS:  i'm around 280 right now.. was down to 270 but holidays are bad for me... my goal is for 220 by june.

Edited by grdavison 2008-12-18 1:48 PM

2008-12-18 3:06 PM
in reply to: #1861626

User image

Sensei
Sin City
The hulk makes four of us...  Cool
2008-12-18 3:29 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

This is quite a front line we have put together so far!!

2008-12-18 4:08 PM
in reply to: #1861896

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Looks like we just got called up to the majors...

No more staging area!

2008-12-18 4:22 PM
in reply to: #1861984

User image

Pro
Eureka, Ca
Aikidoman - 2008-12-18 2:08 PM

Looks like we just got called up to the majors...

No more staging area!

Time to get this party started! where's all the wimmin at?

2008-12-18 4:25 PM
in reply to: #1861896

User image

Extreme Veteran
Farmington NY
I'm 48 year old male clyde. After letting myself go for the past few years I've decided to get "off the couch". Years ago I did do three triathlons (ft. Bragg tri, Batterson Park Tri and Milford tri. I was a competitive mountain biker and motocross racer.\.
Now my daughter is a very, competitive swimmer in high school. I would love nothing more than do a triathlon with her.
For the past month I have been doing the Michael Pate program. The swim is the challenge. I am a strong swimmer, just really out of shape. Enjoy dark beers too much.
I live with my wife and daughter in western NY. I am originally from CT, but the wife wanted to move back to NY (her home).

So that's it.

Edited by lextek 2008-12-18 4:27 PM

2008-12-18 4:30 PM
in reply to: #1862040

User image

Sensei
Sin City
You want in lex?
2008-12-18 4:33 PM
in reply to: #1862054

User image

Extreme Veteran
Farmington NY
Aikidoman - 2008-12-18 4:30 PM

You want in lex?

Yup!
2008-12-18 4:38 PM
in reply to: #1862059

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Cool.  We have a basketball team now...

Let's see if we can get a couple more, then I will close this down...

2008-12-18 5:34 PM
in reply to: #1862073

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Just a comment to those who signed up...

I'm looking forward to being as much help as I can, but the more information I have about you, the better my answers would/could be.  That would include the use of your training logs.  They are a great tool that's free to use.  Take advantage of them if you are not.

2008-12-18 5:40 PM
in reply to: #1862150

User image

Sensei
Sin City
went back to my "serious" avatar...

2008-12-18 7:48 PM
in reply to: #1862150

User image

Extreme Veteran
Farmington NY
I've been using the log since starting out. Kind of helps with motivation. I've got a glitch coming up in my swimming program. I swim at the local high school. They are shut down for 2 weeks over the holidays. I'll have to try to find an alternate.

Here's the sprint tri I'm shooting for

http://www.musselmantri.com/
2008-12-18 8:37 PM

User image

Champion
Racine, WI
GYM!!!!!
Can I get a piece of this action? I'm in need of some motivation/balance/nutritional help?!

My name: Aidana - prounouced I-Donna....

Did my first Tri in 2005 simply because I wanted to do one. Life became chaotic and got back into them this year 2008. I've done one official Tri this past June and my first half -marathon last month; with some mini-TRI's in between with the donkeys. (I'm associated with the Donkey's in WISCO) I'm determined to drop my last 10-15lbs!!

I'm a single mom of a 10 year old boy. I am a Social Worker by profession, write part-time and I am a full time grad student. (see my dilemna on balance?)

Right now, I'm trying to squeeze in what I can and hopefully become more consistent with getting up in the morning and working out before I start my day. Unfortunately, sleeping in takes the best of me.

Next year, I wanted to complete my first HIM but with my thesis coming up, reality is that it may not happen. I know I'm planing one TRI for sure. However, my goal is to get in the daily/weekly training and know that I can simply do a TRI on my own if my finances or life get in the way.

Ok, I feel like I've rambled. Not sure what else you need but there's my info.
2008-12-18 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN

Agree on training log stuff... I was all over it up to Silverman this year.  My coach and I use Trainingpeaks, so I am up to date there, but will go back to the double entry so we can all benefit!

My swimming has certainly improved to a point where I would like it, but the bike is rough (Silverman killed me with two mechanicals... first flat on a tubular at mile 4.2 and then a slipped rear skewer that I didn't notice till the turn around)... 

Running... no where near where I would like...  sprint races have me in the 8:30's, but once I hit the 10k races... more like 10's and Silverman... well, I finished... but at 2:45 for the HM...  

I am really looking forward to the help, hints, support etc. of a group like this... Plus, with Jim taking 1st in his group at the Silverman full...  !!!!  He knows the course for my run at it next year!

2008-12-18 9:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario

Hello Jim,

I would like to be part of your group.  Is it too late for me to join?

Thanks!

2008-12-19 7:29 AM
in reply to: #1862159

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs

Room for one more?

I'm Brian, 33.  I raced 2 sprints in '08, and was hooked.  I wanted to do more, but life and such got in the way.  I'm also very active in tennis, cycling, soccer, outdoors activities, and motorsports (autocross), so those things will also be juggled along with race scheduling in '09.

I got divorced this past spring/summer, and subsequently lost about 25 lbs. and got back into great shape.  My goal for '09 is to do well in an Olympic (shooting for Amelia Island) or HIM (same location).  I'm fine with knowing that I'll probably never place in AG (see aforemetnioned other activities), so that's not a big deal.  I just need a kick in the pants now and then, and some questions answered here and there regarding training.

Do I make the cut?

2008-12-19 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Lowestoft, England
Hi, can I join your group.

NAME: Hagakure / Mark

STORY: I am 36 years old, 37 in January and live in the UK. I started my tri training just over a year ago after watching Chrissie win at Kona. (She comes from the same area I live in).
I have trained in various martial arts since I was 12 years old, but became a couch potato for most of my 20's. I started lifting weights and getting back into kickboxing and Kendo about 5 years ago. I lost weight and added a bit of muscle and then started running and swimming. Triathlon just seemed a natural progression.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two daughters aged 9 and 12.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am not following a specific plan but run 3-4 times per week, cycle 3 and swim 2-3. I do masters swimming classes which is slowly speeding me up. This winter I am really trying to concentrate on my running. I try and use HR zones for my running although my last LT test was six months ago.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My fiirst season I did three sprints, one sea swim race and a half marathon.

2009 RACES: I have entered one OLY and one sprint. I am planning a couple more sprints and another half marathon.
2008-12-19 9:06 AM

User image

Omaha, NE, Nebraska

If you still have room, I'd like to join your group.

Samantha

NAME: af_wife2004 (Samantha)

STORY: I'm an overcommitted (volunteer work) 27 y/o Air Force wife.  I've had to overcome (and occassionally still struggling with) many medical issues.  The orthopaedic surgeon I worked for started me on my first triathlon, Danskin Orlando.  I love the sense of accomplishment and the "race high," but have difficulty staying motivated and making the time to complete work outs.  We're supposed to move in March, so I don't want to fall off the band wagon as soon as I've climbed on.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 4 years to Scott, stepmom of two Jocelyne 14, Jacob 11

CURRENT TRAINING:  I challenged myself to GYBTTG (get your butt to the gym) for 10 minutes a day, but I should've known better than starting two weeks before Christmas.  I despise running due to the pain and lack of oxygen, so I walk the run portions.  I actually enjoying riding the bike at the gym, and I love to swim (usually between 500-1000 yds) though I haven't done so in months. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I signed up for St Anthony's Meek and Mighty, but had to back out when my husband won an award and the ceremony was the day same time.  GRRR.  I completed Iron Girl 5K, the America Supports You 1 mile walk and the Arthritis Foundation's Jingle Bell Run 5K.

2009 RACES:  I'm planning on Tampa's Gasparilla 5k, and if we get our orders in time, Las Vegas Iron Girl sprint tri, and Danskin Southern California sprint tri.

WEIGHTLOSS: I usually a very happy Athena.  I like my curves, but lately there's a little extra that I could do without.  I've managed to sneak up to 204.  I'd like to get back down to 185.

2008-12-19 9:13 AM
in reply to: #1863072

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Wow!  Lots of responses.  Thanks so much....  Everyone is welcome (I'll prepare a quick list).  Time to close this down, looks like we have a good group!
2008-12-19 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1863084

User image

Sensei
Sin City

So, we have:

• ball6135 - Robb
  • Rudedog55 - Rudy
  • grdavison - Geoff
  • lextek - ? (lex, maybe?)
  • Aidana - Aidana (pronounced 'I-donna')
  • Nats - ? (Nate?)
  • bcarte1991 - Brian
  • hagakure - Mark
  • af wife2004 - Samantha
  • Aikidoman - Jim

WOW!  Big group.  I think we can handle it though...  Nice!

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-12-19 9:20 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aikidoman's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 17