BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-01-06 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED
NAME: Eliwashere- First Name- Elias, but I go by Eli

STORY: I am a lifelong recreational athlete. I swam in summer leagues, played football, wrestling and lacrosse in high school, rugby in college and then...got fat. I ran sporadically after college (1995) but it never really stuck. 
In 2001 I got motivated to run a marathon and ran Disney that year. I also discovered that being fit would help me keep up with my child. Since 2006 I have been running regularly and re-discovered triathlons in 2007-2008. I really enjoy the multi-sport aspect of triathlon and the fact it doesn't wear my body down quite as much as just running. I also like the level of interaction at the races. I find that the community is very friendly and am even looking into becoming a coach.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with one child. Wife runs marathons, and has started to ride!

CURRENT TRAINING: I generally train 5-6 days a week. I would guess I average about 5 hours a week. I try to keep at least one race on my schedule in the next 3 months to stay motivated.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Goofy Challenge, SavageMan Triathlon, Escape to Miami, Local Sprints/Olympics.

2010 RACES:  2010 was a GREAT year for me. Ran the Goofy Challenge at Disney, ING Miami and A1A Half Marathons, volunteered at a few sprint Tri's, joined a local training group, MS 150 bike ride, Palm 100 relay, Some local tri's, Marine Corps Marathon, and....IRONMAN COZUMEL!!!

WEIGHTLOSS: Got down to 210 last year, and am trying to get down to 200, or even 195, although I haven't weighed that little since High School.  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:
 I have seen and done a lot in my time as a recreational athelete. I am also a voracious reader and love to research a topic. I spend a fair bit of time lurking around BT, and I am not shy about posting. This is my 4th season of triathlon, and I am also very interested in sharing my experiences and helping others enjoy it as much as I do. I work from home and am online quite a bit, so it is easy for me to be responsive.

Edited by eliwashere 2011-04-21 7:57 AM

2011-04-12 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3281614

User image

South Florida
Subject: RE: Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-OPEN

1st !!!! :-)

2011-04-12 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3441837

User image

Master
Nick, good to see you!!! Welcome aboard!
2011-04-12 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
2011-04-12 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3443220

User image

Master

Hey Charlie!!!! Good to see you. And great photo!

How are things going?

2011-04-12 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3443318

User image

Regular
I think I'll join here looking for a small group, will post bio tomorrow. I like the mentor groups and they keep me accountable for my training. Lets have some fun and share in our suffering through this summer! (BTW I live in Fort Myers, FL summers are hell).

2011-04-12 9:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

Hey Eli - I am doing great and have a full race schedule planned for 2011.  Look forward to sharing the experiences with the group.  Here is a Bio for those who were not in our group last year.

Hey Nick nice to see you back this summer.

NAME: Charlie Moore /chmoore2

STORY:
2011 will be my 2nd year in Triathlon.  I started last year as a way to maintain the weightloss I acheived over the previous year.  Pretty slow over all but the training is fun and I like having races in front of me for motivation.

FAMILY STATUS:
  Married, going on 13 years.  Have two crazy boys 6 and 8, and a big German Shepard.

CURRENT TRAINING:
  Been following a custom plan made with the BT plan creator.  3X a week for each discipline.  I have one more class left in my swimming clinic where hopefully I learned to be a bit faster in the water.  My logs are up to date and welcome comments.

2010 Races:
First Year only did 2 Sprints and a handfull of 5Ks

2011 RACES:

February 6th - Super Couch Potato 5K - 30:17
March 5th - Tipp Hill Shamrock Run (4 Mile) 44:08
May 1st - Mountain Goat Run (10 Mile)
June 4th - Paige's Butterfly 5K
June 11th - YMCA Livestrong Sprint Triathlon
July 17th - Musselman HIM
August 14th - Cazenovia Sprint Triathlon
September 18th - Syracuse 70.3 - If I don't die during the Musselman
October 16th - Empire State Half Marathon

WEIGHT LOSS:
  I would like to get down to 190 by the time I do my HIM, that would be about 20 more pounds to go.  Still not small but way better than where I started.   280 lbs and 5'7".  I've been stuck at 210 for about 8 months now.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:
  I am willing to learn and contribute as much as possible.  I am very excited about my long distance tri, and will have lots of questions on nutrition and training.

2011-04-13 7:13 AM
in reply to: #3443423

User image

Master

grownassman161 - 2011-04-12 8:44 PM I think I'll join here looking for a small group, will post bio tomorrow. I like the mentor groups and they keep me accountable for my training. Lets have some fun and share in our suffering through this summer! (BTW I live in Fort Myers, FL summers are hell).

Welcome aboard! I can relate to the heat. Nick and I live in the Ft. Lauderdale/Boca Raton area. We did a "training" race with a friend last August. It is now called the Boca "Death March" triathlon.

Looking forward to your Bio!

2011-04-13 7:13 AM

User image

Master

Speaking of training, I just joined a gym again after a couple of months off so that I could start back on the swimming.

I am very interested to see what my "complementary" training session will look like today.

2011-04-13 8:51 AM

User image

South Florida

NAME: Nick

STORY:
2011 will be my 2nd year in Triathlon.  2010 was a year of trials and tribulations. I learned a lot and ready to put it all to great use this year, and crank it up!

FAMILY STATUS:
  Just married actually! 4/2/11 J

CURRENT TRAINING:
  Sporadic training. Nothing structured. But that is due to in part to the wedding, honeymoon. Once that is over, it’s back to normal life and training.

2010 Races:
HM, Sprint, Marathon, HIM

2011 RACES: 
ING HalfMarathon 2:06

NauticaSouthBeachTriathlon 2:32 5th in ThunderThighs Division

A few sprints and a a Full Iron Distance in October!! WooooHoooo!

WEIGHT LOSS:  I’m good with my weight. Tall and really skinny isn’t a good look. I’ll stay around 194-196

.My willingness to listen and take advice from others. I do have questions on nutrition for the long haul

2011-04-13 10:10 AM

User image

Master

Hey Guys,

Just back from the gym. Ouch, although I do core workouts and pullups, I never work my biceps. Working biceps for the first time in 5 years hurts!

I think I will be adding a little bit of strength workouts back to my program, just in support of my joints and strength for swimming and running. Maybe 1 or 2 times a week for 20 minutes each.

I can't wait till Friday to find out if I got a spot in the Kona Lottery, or if I am going to gear up for Hills at the great floridian!

2011-04-13 11:16 AM

User image

South Florida

CHARLIE! Great to "see" you too!

Kinda feels like were getting the band back together! woohoo!

2011-04-13 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

Hey Eli - Good Luck on the Kona Lottery.  That would be awesome. 

Not sure I would want to put my self through the training required for a full IM but it is an extrodinary acomplishment for sure. 

We'll see how I feel after my HIM in July.

2011-04-13 1:09 PM

User image

Master

The IM was a lot to do. I learned a ton about myself, and what it takes to get to that level of fitness.

I am looking forward to playing around at some shorter races this year, but will most likely do an IM in the fall as well.

I am always trying to find new ways to challenge myself. Still trying to get fully healed of the achilles injury as well.

2011-04-13 3:31 PM

User image

Ocala

I would love to join you guys if possible?  Fellow Florida guy here, new to the sport.  

2011-04-13 3:52 PM

Hey Eli! I would like to join group! I have never done any triathlon before and just decided yesterday to do Escape to Miami in September so I have alot to learn and train for. 

Thanks,

corinne

2011-04-13 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3445011

User image

Master
TriColby - 2011-04-13 3:31 PM

I would love to join you guys if possible?  Fellow Florida guy here, new to the sport.  

Welcome aboard! I am going to be up past you on Easter Weekend. Heading to Gainesville to see some family!

2011-04-13 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3445057

User image

Master
casde06 - 2011-04-13 3:52 PM

Hey Eli! I would like to join group! I have never done any triathlon before and just decided yesterday to do Escape to Miami in September so I have alot to learn and train for. 

Thanks,

corinne

Corinne, glad to have you. I am planning on doing Escape as well. I did it two years ago and was having a great time until I started running! 

I am planning to go back and beat that overpass into submission (or at least into a gentle slope).

2011-04-13 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3444011

User image

Regular

NAME: Grant Berkery

STORY:
Just recently got into Tri's. I've ran through out high school and college so I have a great running background, decent on the bike, and still learning on the swim. I've been training seriously for Tri's since about September. I spent two years after college doing nothing being out of shape drinking  too much and taking online grad courses and working overtime. That phase has passed now and I'm back in shape and I feel great about that.

FAMILY STATUS:  Maried 1 year, we have a cat and are waiting another year to have kids to give ourselves some time to do things for us.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have a group of friends I train with we do runs on wednesdays, and either a bike or brick on saturday. I fill in the rest of the days with a couple bike commutes to work (15 miles each way), yoga for an hour once a week, and maybe 1-2 swims. If I'm consistent I usually string together 7-10 days then take a day off. Sometimes I get in a slump for 3-4 days and miss workouts (so get on me if you see that and I'll get back on track, I appreciate the prodding).

2010 Races: 
Boca Bop sprint tri (swim was cancelled performed ok on the rest, it was super windy). Super bowl y-tri Sarasota blew up on the swim (400m in a 50m pool) didn't recover after that.

2011 RACES: 
april 30th country music half marathon in Nashville, TN. May 14th siesta key triathlon (sprint). Muddy buddy w/ my wife may 22nd in Sarasota. Maybe a tri in July (sprint). October siesta key tri again (sprint w/ 800m swim).NauticaSouthBeachTriathlon 2:32 5th in ThunderThighs Division

WEIGHT: need to maintain, I'm about 5'11" and hover around 140 so I need to not drop under 140
 I enjoy the mentor groups they keep me consistent. I'm somewhat knowledgable on Tri's even though I'm just starting out. I could use some help with forcing myself to hydrate on the bike and run I know that is important when it comes to the longer distances.

2011-04-13 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3444212

User image

Regular

Make sure you go and do something light to get the soreness out of the arms, until you do it won't go away. Enjoy the new workouts!

eliwashere - 2011-04-13 11:10 AM

Hey Guys,

Just back from the gym. Ouch, although I do core workouts and pullups, I never work my biceps. Working biceps for the first time in 5 years hurts!

I think I will be adding a little bit of strength workouts back to my program, just in support of my joints and strength for swimming and running. Maybe 1 or 2 times a week for 20 minutes each.

I can't wait till Friday to find out if I got a spot in the Kona Lottery, or if I am going to gear up for Hills at the great floridian!

2011-04-13 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3445338

User image

Regular
Glad to see FL represented in this group!

2011-04-13 7:08 PM
in reply to: #3445342

User image

Master

Grant, Welcome!

Sounds like you have a good season planned. You must be like Nick, the naturally lean type!

I can relate about the being on track for 7-10 and then sagging a bit. We will keep after you!

I am actually thinking of being an official at one of the siesta key events, but I am not sure if I want to travel for it.

2011-04-13 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3445358

User image

Regular
I grew up in sarasota so I'm a bit biased but its one of the best beaches ever. It might be worth the trip, I know gas is getting out of control though. Any perks to being an official or just a volunteer deal? maybe if they threw a future discount to a race your way it would provide some incentive.
2011-04-13 10:49 PM

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Hello Eli,

Would like to join your group.  Did the Winter program and was in a group with experior.  Learned a lot from the group and it helped me stay motivated.  Here is my info:

NAME: Bill

STORY: Rode my bicycle a lot until I was 16.  Lifted weights through HS and the Army.  Was on the swim team in 10th and 11th grade.  In the Army for 3 years after HS.  Played Rugby one year in college.  I have not done much of anything for about 15 years.  I have walked some and lifted weights occassionly but nothing regular until recently.  Some HS friends and I planned a trip to raft the Gauley River in WV.  I saw the videos and thought man I better do something before I go.  I walked every day for a month and lost about 5 pounds before I went.  The trip was in early October 2010.  One of my HS friends had started doing triathlons.  I talked to him a little.  It seemed interesting and I looked into it.  I found that it does not have to be an Ironman.  I looked at the Sprint races and thought I could do that.  I found this site and started the 20 week Sprint program -run focused in middle October.  At that time I did not have a place to swim so I just did bike on swim days.  I got a membership to a health club in late November and began swimming.  I restarted a new program in December, the 20 week Sprint program, balanced.  Then in January I changed to a custom plan from this website that gave times and mileage to give me a better idea of where I should be.  I have been following that plan and have have kept my log on here for all of my workouts.  My first sprint tri will be on April 30th and I am ready to be a CLYDESDALE!!

FAMILY STATUS: Married 19.5 years, two kids, 17 year old son and 5 year old girl.

CURRENT TRAINING: 6 days a week.  Following a custom plan from this website.  Yoga once a week.  After my race on April 30th I am taking a week off of heavy training.  I will do some light swim, bike and run that week.  Then I am starting a 20 week program to do an olympic event in the fall.  

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - Sprint, April 30th

Tri the Parks - Indian Springs - Sprint, June 11th

Maybe another sprint in July or August.

Tugaloo Triathlon - Olympic - September 24th.

Atlanta Half Marathon in November. (We'll see, it has been on my list forever and just never managed to get out and start training)

2010 RACES:  Couch to refrigerator to couch.

WEIGHTLOSS: Was at 280 last summer.  On a 5' 8" frame that is a little scary.  At 238 right now.  Not really watching the weight as much as I am watching the changes. Still would like to be down between 210 and 220 by fall.

I look forward to joining this group to be able to get some feedback on what I am doing and to be able to see what other people are doing or have done.  I am really interested in hearing about how people got started and what their struggles were and what they continue to be.  I hope that I can add to the group with my input and questions that I am sure to have.

2011-04-14 7:07 AM

User image

Ocala

Thanks for having me guys.  I am just getting into the sport, and really looking forward to my first race, June 18th in Orlando.  

Story:  I am 28 years old, and started running back in October to lose a few extra pounds.  I really enjoyed the running, so i wanted to start doing more active stuff.  I bought a road bike and have really enjoyed that this year so far.  The swimming is the rough spot for me.  I have never been a swimmer in the athletic sense, just your float around and drink beer swimmer.  I am starting my YMCA membership this weekend to try and get 3 days a week going with that.  

Family Status:  Engaged to a very lovely and supportive gal.

Current Training: I run 3 times a week, and I do strength training 3-4 times a week.  I try and ride my bike as much as possible on the weekends, which usually translates into 15-30 miles of Road and Mountain biking over the course of Saturday and Sunday.

Plans:  I really started this whole thing to get in shape for the Tough Mudder in December.  12 miles of military style obstacle course.  I figured the best way to get in shape for something is to be as active as possible, and multi-sport seems interesting because of my ADD, lol.  I have the Father's Day Triathlon on June 18th in Orlando, which I am debating doing the MyFirst Event for that since i don't know how strong my swimming will be, but there is a part of me that just wants to sign up for the Sprint to test myself.  Then I am hoping for the Fall Triathlon in August in Orlando, and Tough Mudder in December down near Tampa.

Weightloss:  I have lost 21 pounds since October but more importantly I have gotten off my arse for the first time in many years, and I feel great!

I am really looking forward to getting in shape this year and completing some races, and it sounds like you guys are really into this, and that makes it even more exciting to have people to talk to about it. Everyone I know is a professional beer drinker, so when i talk about triathlons or the like, I look like the crazy guy.  Really looking forward to the group, especially for some help with swimming, and thanks for having me.  Nice to be in a group with fellow Floridians!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20