Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Guelph2-first timer-suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-14 5:36 PM

Niagara Falls
Subject: Guelph2-first timer-suggestions?
Thinking of doing my first tri in september in Guelph. My big goal is to officially start racing next summer but I saw that there is a tri-a-tri that weekend. Is it stupid to think that I could do that without having trained for it in the cycling area? Been swimming 2000-2500m 3 times a week, been training for a half marathon for september and have been leisurly cycling once or twice a week for an hour (about 15-20km). I am getting so excited about my swimming progress that I am thinking : Why not!!!! Any tips? Should I? Shouldn't I? How prepared do you have to be? Do not own a wet suit, will that be a problem? What do women wear for running as far as support is concerned? I am one of those women that need a running bra. OH! So many questions and ao little time! Anyone can help? That would be greatly appreciated!

2009-08-14 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2349730

Subject: RE: Guelph2-first timer-suggestions?

If you are already swimming 2500 and running for a half mary and can cycle 15-20 km, \i think you will be fine. \you have more than enough training in. \i would say go for it. \as per the running question since I'm of the male variety I can't help you there. \i will be doing the sprint distance the bike is not hilly at all I would say it is rolling as well as the run. If you have anymore non female related questions I would be more than happy to help you with them. Of sorry... a wetsuit isn't necessary as many people don't wear them but if you have one then I would say go for it. Again just go for it.

2009-08-14 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2349897

Regular
Mississauga, Ontario

I think you will be fine for the swim - if you haven't done a open water swim before, you might want to try to get to an outdoor location before the race (Kelso Conservation area is good on the weekends with lifeguards at the beach). The bike is short enough as long as you treat the race as a learning experience you will enjoy it. This was my first tri race a few years ago - very well organized and a friendly bunch.

2009-08-15 9:36 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-15 10:42 AM

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
You can definitely do it!! I did my first - the Try a Tri at Guelph Lake in June and it was great.  Okay, i completely panicked in the water but i finished strong and generally did well.  Apparently panicking is pretty normal ....

I am not a great swimmer so for me it was all about the swim. Definitely second the advice of swimming in a lake beforehand.  If you're a strong swimmer you can definitely go without a wetsuit.  I rented one from Endurosport (there are other places to rent) for the weekend but I did because I wanted the extra buoyancy.  I was glad I had it because i wasn't prepared for the OW environment and just how strange it was to have so many people around me.

Anyway, my friend who also did the race wore a swimsuit with a sportsbra under it and it worked for her. I had some tri shorts so i wore those.  You'll see lots of people wearing lots of different things. Just don't expect to be able to change much. It's really hard to put things on when you're wet!

Best of luck!
2009-08-17 9:55 AM

Niagara Falls
Thanks to all of you, great tips! I am doing it!!!! I am registering today for Wasaga Beach since I found friends doing the duathlon and the 1/2 Mary the next day! We are going all together, it will be fun and I will have supporters!!!!  I am psyched! I chose not to do Guelph2 on the 5th, Wasaga on the 12th and my 1/2 Mary on the 20th! Thought it was going to be too much since I am not tapering at all. My big race is the Toronto 1/2 on October 18th. I will be treating those races as training sessions. I am going to try to get at least one OWS and a couple of bricks and I should be good right?!?!

Thank you for all your input and if there are any women out there that could guide me as to what to wear that would be great!

Wish me luck!

2009-08-19 6:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
Like juniperjen said - sports bra under the swimsuit (or tri top). Whether your wear a wetsuit or not, if you are ample in the girls department, you will want a sports bra underneath.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Guelph2-first timer-suggestions? Rss Feed