BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2008-12-16 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED

NAME: kellc09/Kellie Kource

STORY: I have been on this site for a couple of years now, and since 05' have gone from completing a 5k, to a sprint tri, up to a couple of marathons and a Ironman. I absolutely love everything about triathlon and running and being active! I fell into tris out of doing a Adventure Race and trying to find a way to train for a Adventure race. (just replace canoeing for swimming)

FAMILY STATUS: I am married with a dog (a very cute black lab I might say)

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I am taking a little break from heavy training after training for a HIM, IM and marathon in 08'. So I am in maintenance phase for now, prepping for heavier workout loads in the Spring.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: in 08' I did a half marathon, HIM, IM Lake Placid, marathon, and a handful of sprints/olympics

2009 RACES: I plan to race the Olympic distance circuit in my area, and do a HIM, and potentially a marathon again. This year will be focused a little more on shorter distance, and then I plan to go back to the IM distance in 2010.

WEIGHTLOSS: I plan to lose the 8 I gained after the Ironman race, and work more on eating whole foods and dropping some body fat for the faster racing in 09'.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I love triathlon life, racing, running, and soaking up any information out there that can help me, and/or others improve themselves. I've done a lot of research on my own, picked many brains, and have a couple years of trial and error under me now and am excited to put all this to work in the next couple of years ahead of me

Edited by kellc09 2008-12-17 2:15 PM

2008-12-17 7:33 AM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - OPEN

Hello, can a male join your mentor group?  Some of your goals seem to line up with mine.  I did Steelhead last year and in 2009 I am doing a "mismash" of events to work my way to completing an IM in 2010.  My plan is to do some long rides, long runs, maybe a couple HIM's.

I also see you are from Mi.  I grew up in Flint.  Maybe you could talk me into coming up and doing the Crim 10-MilerSmile

Anyway, check my training log and let me know if I can be a part of your group.  I could use some motivation about now.  I have had some circumstances that are trying to de-rail my training.

Greg

2008-12-17 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Absolutely Greg... my only qualification for this group is that your motivated to improve in 09'! Thats pretty easy for a qualification!

When they open this group public (or now I assume), go ahead and copy and paste my question/answers and replace them with your own answers to share with me, and what will be the group

2008-12-17 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Hi Kellie,

If you have room I would also like to join your group, Like you I try to pick everyones brain regarding training nutrition and rest.  I don't realy need any motivation but its nice to talk with someone that has or is doing what I am doing.  This year I have 3 A races 70.3 FL, IMKY, IMFL with the 70.3 steelhead for training.  My ultimate goal this year is a 10:30 at IMKY.  So I need all the help trying to stay healthy so I can attain this goal. 

Being this is my second year I feel I have so much to learn and it would be nice to avoid some mistakes others have made.

David

2008-12-17 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1858645

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Hi David!  Your in!   Sounds like you have a full year ahead of you    Thats awesome!   I just came off a bigger volume year this year, and I did end up injured at the end of it.  Even though we figured out what it was, sometimes its all just a learning process of what your body can/can not handle or what it does/doesnt not like that you do different with your training.

copy and past and fill out the questionare for the group so we have your background! 

razorxp - 2008-12-17 10:29 AM

Hi Kellie,

If you have room I would also like to join your group, Like you I try to pick everyones brain regarding training nutrition and rest.  I don't realy need any motivation but its nice to talk with someone that has or is doing what I am doing.  This year I have 3 A races 70.3 FL, IMKY, IMFL with the 70.3 steelhead for training.  My ultimate goal this year is a 10:30 at IMKY.  So I need all the help trying to stay healthy so I can attain this goal. 

Being this is my second year I feel I have so much to learn and it would be nice to avoid some mistakes others have made.

David

2008-12-17 10:44 AM

User image

Master
I'm not sure how the mentor groups work... but I am doing my first HIM in 09 and would love a group to bounce ideas off of, etc. I have a long history of swimming and running and biking is my weakness for sure. Feel free to check out my logs and/or let me know if I need to do anything to join up!

2008-12-17 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL

Hi Kellc, I'd like to join your group as well if there's any room left.

Here's my info:

NAME: matt_d/Matt Dube
STORY: Started running in April of 2007, could only run for 2 minutes without stopping.  Did 2 1/2 marathons towards the end of 2007.  Ran the Chicago Marathon in October, am now starting to focus on triathlons.
FAMILY STATUS: I am married with 2 dogs and a cat. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Working hard on my swimming, which I'm starting from scratch on.  Found out that run cardio and swim cardio are VERY different.  Using the drills in the Essential Triathlon Swimming DVD I'm making progress.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Chicago Marathon, 1 5k race.
2009 RACES: I plan to do the Little Rock 1/2 Marathon, the St. Louis 1/2 Marathon, a short (bit shorter than a normal sprint) Tri in May, and a longer tri (think it's close to Olympic distance) in June.  Also doing a sprint in August. 
WEIGHTLOSS: I'm around 215 now, down from 235 earlier this year.  Would like to be close to 200 when race season starts.

2008-12-17 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1858696

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Hello!  You are in!   I kind of am letting people read my bio, decide if they want to be in the group, and then from there we'll establish how we'll work the group depending on the levels of people involved.   I welcome anyone, any level though, and it will still make it a great group of people who have information to offer each other for longer, and shorter distances.  And above all, some accountability and motivation though the winter training months!!    

kkcbelle - 2008-12-17 10:44 AM I'm not sure how the mentor groups work... but I am doing my first HIM in 09 and would love a group to bounce ideas off of, etc. I have a long history of swimming and running and biking is my weakness for sure. Feel free to check out my logs and/or let me know if I need to do anything to join up!

2008-12-17 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1858700

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Hi Matt... welcome!   You have some good goals for the next year, and will be a good addition to the group! 

matt_d - 2008-12-17 10:47 AM

Hi Kellc, I'd like to join your group as well if there's any room left.

Here's my info:

NAME: matt_d/Matt Dube
STORY: Started running in April of 2007, could only run for 2 minutes without stopping.  Did 2 1/2 marathons towards the end of 2007.  Ran the Chicago Marathon in October, am now starting to focus on triathlons.
FAMILY STATUS: I am married with 2 dogs and a cat. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Working hard on my swimming, which I'm starting from scratch on.  Found out that run cardio and swim cardio are VERY different.  Using the drills in the Essential Triathlon Swimming DVD I'm making progress.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: Chicago Marathon, 1 5k race.
2009 RACES: I plan to do the Little Rock 1/2 Marathon, the St. Louis 1/2 Marathon, a short (bit shorter than a normal sprint) Tri in May, and a longer tri (think it's close to Olympic distance) in June.  Also doing a sprint in August. 
WEIGHTLOSS: I'm around 215 now, down from 235 earlier this year.  Would like to be close to 200 when race season starts.

2008-12-17 11:34 AM

User image

Elgin, Ok
Kellc:

I would like to join your group.

I am 31 years old. I am married with two children. A daughter who is 9 and a son who is 6.

I am new to tri's, but come from a very athletic background. I am a high school teacher and coach. I currently coach cross country and track. (This gives me the added bonus of having training time built into my job.) I formerly coached swimming at the previous school I taught. (That gives me an excellent background in swimming.) Which leaves me with the weakest of the three. Biking! I am able to ride indoors during the school day during the winter when it is to cold to run outside. I am also able to ride outdoors on days the team is running. Time is not an issue for me. I need help with training ideas and race day questions.

2008 races: I ran in my first competitive team marathon competition. (5 individuals each ran a 5th of the marathon then combined times.)

2009 plan: March 1st; indoor sprint tri
Early June; outdoor 1/2 iron tri
Late September; outdoor full iron tri

Hughes411
2008-12-17 11:39 AM
in reply to: #1858866

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Hi Jon!

You are in!   I like the cross country and track coach background (used to run track)   But this distance stuff, that took me quite a while to get used to!

You may be able to offer some in the group some good running and swimming advice, and Im sure some of us in the group can in turn help with the biking and some good workouts for those different distance races you are thinking of!

hughes411 - 2008-12-17 11:34 AM Kellc: I would like to join your group. I am 31 years old. I am married with two children. A daughter who is 9 and a son who is 6. I am new to tri's, but come from a very athletic background. I am a high school teacher and coach. I currently coach cross country and track. (This gives me the added bonus of having training time built into my job.) I formerly coached swimming at the previous school I taught. (That gives me an excellent background in swimming.) Which leaves me with the weakest of the three. Biking! I am able to ride indoors during the school day during the winter when it is to cold to run outside. I am also able to ride outdoors on days the team is running. Time is not an issue for me. I need help with training ideas and race day questions. 2008 races: I ran in my first competitive team marathon competition. (5 individuals each ran a 5th of the marathon then combined times.) 2009 plan: March 1st; indoor sprint tri Early June; outdoor 1/2 iron tri Late September; outdoor full iron tri Hughes411

2008-12-17 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Hi Kellie, room for another I take it? I see your an '08 IMLP finisher. The '08 IMLP is what got me into this...so thanks for the motivation!! And here's a little about me...

NAME: Nate

STORY: I'll try to keep it short. My father has done IMLP for the past 3 years. Since I was away at school for the first 2, '08 was the first year I could watch. Seeing everyone, many of whom are 2-3 time my age (23), complete the greuling course on that terrible day it what made me think "Why not me?!?". I was always active in HS playing a sport every season namely football and baseball. But got really lazy in college, and put on 30lbs in my first 1 1/2 years. Got past that once I graduated and was lifting pretty hardcore for about 3 months until I broke my ankle and had surgery in early April '08. Didn't start walking until June. Started bikiing & swimming a lot in August and wasn't able to start running until the past 1 1/2 months. Have seen a lot of progress already!!
FAMILY STATUS: Single living at home still to save up some dough...man this is an expensive sport.
CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I'm taking it kind of easy since I start my 30 week Ironfit program 12/29. Running and swimming 3-5 times a week and bike 1-2 easy spins.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: none
2009 RACES: I plan on doing 2-3 sprint tri's and a few mini's before '09 IM LP, which is the ultimate goal.
WEIGHTLOSS: I've dropped 15lbs, down from 194, since I started training in August and hope to drop another 15ish by IMLP

Edited by zee744 2008-12-17 12:15 PM
2008-12-17 12:24 PM
in reply to: #1858983

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Hey Nate!!!  You are in!   Its hard not to be inspired by watching someone you love complete a Ironman huh?   My dad ended up being so moved by it, that he is going to probably do IMWI 2010 with me

I look forward to having you in the group and seeing how your 09 progresses!

zee744 - 2008-12-17 12:13 PM Hi Kellie, room for another I take it? I see your an '08 IMLP finisher. The '08 IMLP is what got me into this...so thanks for the motivation!! And here's a little about me... NAME: Nate STORY: I'll try to keep it short. My father has done IMLP for the past 3 years. Since I was away at school for the first 2, '08 was the first year I could watch. Seeing everyone, many of whom are 2-3 time my age (23), complete the greuling course on that terrible day it what made me think "Why not me?!?". I was always active in HS playing a sport every season namely football and baseball. But got really lazy in college, and put on 30lbs in my first 1 1/2 years. Got past that once I graduated and was lifting pretty hardcore for about 3 months until I broke my ankle and had surgery in early April '08. Didn't start walking until June. Started bikiing & swimming a lot in August and wasn't able to start running until the past 1 1/2 months. Have seen a lot of progress already!! FAMILY STATUS: Single living at home still to save up some dough...man this is an expensive sport. CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I'm taking it kind of easy since I start my 30 week Ironfit program 12/29. Running and swimming 3-5 times a week and bike 1-2 easy spins. THIS YEAR'S RACES: none 2009 RACES: I plan on doing 2-3 sprint tri's and a few mini's before '09 IM LP, which is the ultimate goal. WEIGHTLOSS: I've dropped 15lbs, down from 194, since I started training in August and hope to drop another 15ish by IMLP

2008-12-17 12:38 PM

User image

Expert

Hi KellC!

Can I join?

My name is Heidi. I fell into the world of Tri's by accident last summer. I bought a bike to commute to work, adn quickly remembered how much I love to go fast! I've been running off and on since I was 13, but have never been super fast. A few yeasrs ago I added swimming to my exercise routine out of necessity because of a foot injury.  So, once I rediscovered biking, I decided to challenge myself and train for a sprint Tri. I completed a sprint distance unofficial race  on SDept 28, with an embarrassing slow time.

So my goals for 2009 are:

to complete an official sprint distance, shaving considerable time off my bike and run.

To complete an olympic distance race.

To learn a lot about how to improve my swim techniques and biking skills.

On a personal life note, I'm 40, married and have 3 kids between the ages of 18 and 2. I work full time, but currently manage to get in a work out every other day. It was more when I was actively training for the Sprint.

Please let me know if I can join.

Heidi

2008-12-17 12:40 PM
in reply to: #1859021

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

Hey Kell,

Can I join-on too?

I'll wait for the acceptance/denial to take-up space with my who/what/etc.

Thanks, Matt. 

2008-12-17 1:33 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

Do you have room for one more in your group? I'm planning my first Marathon and HIM in the Spring, working towards IM in 2010. Love the support of a mentor group and this sounds like an awesome group of people!

Roni

2008-12-17 1:50 PM
in reply to: #1859064

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Hi Heidi, absolutely, you are in!

You have some good goals for this year, I hope you will find this group very beneficial!

slow turtle - 2008-12-17 12:38 PM

Hi KellC!

Can I join?

My name is Heidi. I fell into the world of Tri's by accident last summer. I bought a bike to commute to work, adn quickly remembered how much I love to go fast! I've been running off and on since I was 13, but have never been super fast. A few yeasrs ago I added swimming to my exercise routine out of necessity because of a foot injury.  So, once I rediscovered biking, I decided to challenge myself and train for a sprint Tri. I completed a sprint distance unofficial race  on SDept 28, with an embarrassing slow time.

So my goals for 2009 are:

to complete an official sprint distance, shaving considerable time off my bike and run.

To complete an olympic distance race.

To learn a lot about how to improve my swim techniques and biking skills.

On a personal life note, I'm 40, married and have 3 kids between the ages of 18 and 2. I work full time, but currently manage to get in a work out every other day. It was more when I was actively training for the Sprint.

Please let me know if I can join.

Heidi

2008-12-17 1:51 PM

User image

Montana

Any space for one more? I've been on BT for a little over a year now finishing my first tris last summer, 2 sprints and one offroad xterra. I desperately could use some motivation as my training the last couple months has been nonexistant! Looks like a great group - hope there's room!

PS...Hi Roni!!!

2008-12-17 1:51 PM
in reply to: #1859070

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Hi Matt, give me your bio, you are in

GomesBolt - 2008-12-17 12:40 PM

Hey Kell,

Can I join-on too?

I'll wait for the acceptance/denial to take-up space with my who/what/etc.

Thanks, Matt. 

2008-12-17 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1859259

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Hi Roni!   Sure we have room!  Give us your bio

roni_runnw - 2008-12-17 1:33 PM

Do you have room for one more in your group? I'm planning my first Marathon and HIM in the Spring, working towards IM in 2010. Love the support of a mentor group and this sounds like an awesome group of people!

Roni

2008-12-17 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1859320

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Absolutely  your in to!

Give us you bio also!

hollybushellehill - 2008-12-17 1:51 PM

Any space for one more? I've been on BT for a little over a year now finishing my first tris last summer, 2 sprints and one offroad xterra. I desperately could use some motivation as my training the last couple months has been nonexistant! Looks like a great group - hope there's room!

PS...Hi Roni!!!

2008-12-17 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED

Hey everyone!!   I am glad to see some interest in this mentor group!   I have now closed the group.  We haev 10 in out group right now, and I would like to keep it at that if that is ok with all of you.  

My hope for this mentor group is 3 main things:

1) Provide a place where we all can ask questions and help each other out, with no bias, and offer the same respect to those in this group no matter what the experience level

2)  I see this as a form of goal setting and accountability also.  Weekly I will ask for your goals/training schedule, etc for the week and post some good articles/tips/suggestions every now and then.    It will help you think about it, and also allow others to help you out if you are stuck

3)  This is about fun also, so this doesnt have to be all work/training related in here.    Feel free to interact with one another also and have some fun!

Mainly, I see this as a way for the 10 of us to form our own little team to achieve some goals for this winter and keep on track when it is most easy to fall off the wagon during this time of year!

In my blog, kellc09,  I have put up our group, a link to to this forum, and also a link to all the people in our mentor group.  So if you add me to your friends list you can access all those from my blog.  For those of you new on here, use it as a opportunity to get to know some of us who have been here for a while, and also, log as much information as you can about what you are doing.  Daily inspires are great!  It also will help us help you if/when you have questions.   Looking into your logs can sometimes provide a quick answer. 

If any of you dont like this idea, let me know!  Or, if you have any suggestions on how you want to see this go, let me know that to!  This is YOUR group after all

I look forward to the next few months! 

2008-12-17 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED
Thanks for taking me! I didn't post a "real" bio before but will do so now:

NAME: Kyla, age 41

STORY: Competitive swimmer age 6-21 (through college). Some running along the way. Ran my first marathon in 1998. Ran 3 more the summer of 2003 (when my kids were ages 1 and 3). Have run 6 marathons total, countless halves. Got addicted to spinning several years ago, joined a tri group at my Y, bought a road bike in summer of 07 and did a few sprints. In 08 did several sprints and one oly. My body gets running and swimming, but my biking times are woefully slow compared to swim/run. Hoping to improve that! Love endurance races -- hate speedy stuff (would rather run 15 miles than race a 5K), but I also know that some speedy stuff is good for me.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, two kids (8-y.o. boy and 6-y.o. girl), one dog (1-y.o. Flat-Coated Retriever)

CURRENT TRAINING: Maintenance running, trying to bike as much as I can (but not super motivated for indoor riding -- trying, though!). Will start swimming again probably after the 1st of the year (given my history I can get away w/much less than most people).

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Phoenix Rock n Roll Mary (January), 3 Half marys (March, May, November), 3 sprints, 1 oly

2009 RACES: Maybe March half mary, June 21st HIM (Victoria, BC), summer races and whatever else tickles my fancy as the year progresses.

2008-12-17 2:42 PM
in reply to: #1859321

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
kellc09 - 2008-12-17 2:51 PM

Name: Matt

Background: I was in the Marine Corps for 8 years.  Got out in Sept 07, started gaining weight because my job is a lot of travel and a lot of desk.  So, last year, I joined a mentor group on BT, started working-out again, went from 250 lbs to 217 last summer.  Ran several races and now I'm hooked!  My weight is back-up to 225lbs because I just can't get focused on keeping it down and staying in the training mode!

Family: Married, 2 small kids (20 months and 6 months-14 mo apart!!!) very limited training time, but I get it done usually between 5 and 7 AM or during lunch.  Wife doesn't do the exercise thing although that may change because she wants to lose some weight!

Races: 2008, I did a 5K, 4 sprints, a race across FL (Relay, each person ran 3 legs totaling 14.5 miles over the course of 36 hours), and the Marine Corps Marathon.

2009: Depends on the family...I plan to do 2 Olys, 3 Sprints, an HIM (November MiamiMan), and a Half Mary (Dec). Just need to be around at home as much as possible with the young kids and all.

Training: I am on the 20-week Intermediate Oly plan and doing terrible sticking with it.

Other Stuff:  The reason I like the Mentor Program is that I get good advice from folks going through this, I get held accountable to perform and I can pass-on my learning points.  I find that BT helps to compile everyone's lessons learned so we learn from everyone's mistakes and victories.  This mentor group thing always helps to get me out of bed and on the road.

2008-12-17 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1859460

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Thanks Matt!  I did Marine Corps to... did you like it?   I liked it alot, but wow was it a crowded race!  I was injured also, so that kind of forced me to kick back and relax and take it all in instead of focusing on racing. 

Hopefully we can help you come up with a plan to work in the Olympic training.  Sometimes its just a matter of managing the workouts in a different way than the plan calls for to fit it in to your particular circumstances.   Good goals for 09 though!

GomesBolt - 2008-12-17 2:42 PM
kellc09 - 2008-12-17 2:51 PM

Name: Matt

Background: I was in the Marine Corps for 8 years.  Got out in Sept 07, started gaining weight because my job is a lot of travel and a lot of desk.  So, last year, I joined a mentor group on BT, started working-out again, went from 250 lbs to 217 last summer.  Ran several races and now I'm hooked!  My weight is back-up to 225lbs because I just can't get focused on keeping it down and staying in the training mode!

Family: Married, 2 small kids (20 months and 6 months-14 mo apart!!!) very limited training time, but I get it done usually between 5 and 7 AM or during lunch.  Wife doesn't do the exercise thing although that may change because she wants to lose some weight!

Races: 2008, I did a 5K, 4 sprints, a race across FL (Relay, each person ran 3 legs totaling 14.5 miles over the course of 36 hours), and the Marine Corps Marathon.

2009: Depends on the family...I plan to do 2 Olys, 3 Sprints, an HIM (November MiamiMan), and a Half Mary (Dec). Just need to be around at home as much as possible with the young kids and all.

Training: I am on the 20-week Intermediate Oly plan and doing terrible sticking with it.

Other Stuff:  The reason I like the Mentor Program is that I get good advice from folks going through this, I get held accountable to perform and I can pass-on my learning points.  I find that BT helps to compile everyone's lessons learned so we learn from everyone's mistakes and victories.  This mentor group thing always helps to get me out of bed and on the road.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30