General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do I Really Need a TriBike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-27 5:22 PM

Veteran
Harrisburg, PA
Subject: Do I Really Need a TriBike?
First year of doing triathlons.  Done a sprint & an oly and will probably do two more olys before year end.  By mid-2010 I expect to try my first HIM.  And more sprints & olys.  Long-term goal, aside from fitness, is to complete a FIM in about 3 years.  I now train on a hardtail mtn bike and am using it in the races (with street tires).  I'm giving up about 10-20 mins on the bike in the oly distance.  Of more concern is the extra energy I expend.
No question that by the time I do a HIM I'll be using a new bike.  But do I really need for that to be a tri bike as opposed to a road bike?  Even at the FIM distance?  Is there any information out there on the web that quantifies the gains of a tri bike vs a road bike?  I am only buying one more bike.  I still intend to put alot of time on the mtn bike as I like riding trails. 
What do I need to go the distance?

2009-08-27 5:31 PM
in reply to: #2375117

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Do I Really Need a TriBike?
You can do a Search (Upper right hand corner) on BT for Tri bike vs. Road bike. There is a new thread on it about every other day.

Do you NEED a tri bike? Nope. What you NEED is a bike that fits your lifestyle and how you plan to use it.

I have a tri bike and a road bike. I ride my road bike all the time in group rides. I'm more comfortable on it in general and like it more than my tri bike. I have done a HIM and an IM... both on my road bike. Felt more comfortable on hills with my roadie so left the tri bike at home.

For ME a road bike is more useful. Others will say they won't ride anything other than their tri bike.

For everyone it's different.

2009-08-27 5:35 PM

User image

Either a road bike or a tri bike will suit you well.

If you:
are going to do technical and/or a lot of climbing HIM and IM
are going to ride with people
want to just have a decent bike that is very versital

Get a road bike

if you:
Want to do solo rides or ride only with other triathletes
want the faster bike (but your training counts a WHOLE lot more than the bike)
want to use muscle groups that will help your run

Get a tri bike.

Yeah, there are arguments both ways and people will even argue some of those points but those are the biggest questions asked.
2009-08-27 5:38 PM

User image

Veteran
You will get a lot of that time back on a roadbike in your races. Do you NEED a tri bike, No. Get a roadbike first and in a few years decide what you want again.
I have both and split my time between them pretty evenly. Did lots of tris on roadbikes and lots on tri bikes no huge diff unless you are top5 in agegroup then it matters.
John.
2009-08-27 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky
Get a unicycle and just work on the engine...

Tongue out
2009-08-27 5:54 PM
in reply to: #2375144

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Get both! 

Seriously though, they are both tools that have different uses/abilities...

I love my tri bike and I do all my riding solo and it's fast.  However, it is a aggressive, a little cramped/compact (as it should be), twitchy steering, a little harder on the hills/technical stuff.

However, I wanted to expand my riding a bit so I just ordered a road bike.  I wanted something a bit better to climb with, something I can join in on group rides with, something that might be a little more relaxed and stretched out for some epic rides, etc...

I sort of think of my tri bike as a two seater sports car, fast and agile, but maybe not the most comfortable to commute in.  A road bike could be like the luxury sedan that is still uber fast, but maybe a bit more suitable for day to day driving and long road trips.  That's just my take.

BTW, my MTB is like a 4x4 obviously!

2009-08-27 7:14 PM

Veteran
Harrisburg, PA
Thanks everybody.  I did read a couple of other threads with similar discussion.  I am not going for tops in my age group.  I like to do well but mostly I challenge myself.  I think the long term value is probably in the road bike.
Does the geometry of a tri bike help improve your running muscles or help you conserve your running muscles for the run?  I guess the geometry also makes it easier to get in a cleaner aero position, too.  That doesn't look very comfortable to me.  But I'm guessing it's not much different -- comfortwise -- from leaning out over a road bike.
I guess I need to do a little research as I wait for the end-of-season sales.
2009-08-27 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2375261

User image

jfdjrr - 2009-08-27 8:14 PM

That doesn't look very comfortable to me.  But I'm guessing it's not much different -- comfortwise -- from leaning out over a road bike.
I guess I need to do a little research as I wait for the end-of-season sales.

If your bike isn't comfortable riding a half or full century, your bike fit is wrong and/or you haven't got enough miles in the seat, no matter which bike you got.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do I Really Need a TriBike? Rss Feed