General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Couch to Olympic in 11 months? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-20 5:27 PM

User image

Subject: Couch to Olympic in 11 months?
Greetings. After a move to a new town, a new house, new baby, new job, etc. etc. I stopped to look around and realized I was about 35 pounds above my ideal weight. I've tried periodic jogging (sort of) but come to accept that my personality requires something monumental before I can make a lifestyle switch. I've dropped about 30 pounds twice before in my life, over about three months each time by exercising like a freak and barely eating (I know, bad idea), but it came back both times after I resumed old habits.

I just turned 30 and am comfortable with the running and bike portions. Even when I'm out of shape the nurses at a check up often comment on the good heart rate, and traditionally I've been able to get back in shape pretty easily. We'll see if being post-30 changes that. FYI, I've run 10Ks in the past, never excelling but usually in an hour.

My goal is to run an Olympic Triathlon eleven months from today. I plan to take it really slow starting off, running and biking in the mornings until I get back to some sort of form. Then join a pool at the local university and get serious about implementing a triathlon training schedule.

Any plans or suggestions are welcome, I'm pretty sure this is a reasonable goal but if anyone disagrees I'd be glad to hear their almost certainly more informed opinion. Many thanks.

2006-06-20 8:58 PM
in reply to: #460893

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Couch to Olympic in 11 months?
Thats very reasonable. I think you should look for some later season sprints this year to get some practice in too. Nothing beats experience.
2006-06-20 10:39 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Congrats on the baby, job, etc. and on the decision to do a tri. You have plenty of time.

My recommendations to keep motivated:

• Pick a goal race now
  • Tell people you're going to do the race. Date and place. Makes you accountable for it.
  • Use a training plan or at least a regular training schedule. 
  • Log your training

Also, I agree with Comet.  Why not shoot for a Sprint or a Try a tri at the end of this summer? 

2006-06-21 8:47 AM

User image

Great points, thanks. I've got a goal triathlon picked out, it's the Memphis in May Olympic on May 20, 2007. I will be keeping a log of both training and diet.

As to telling lots of people, I've heard this from a friend who runs marathons, but have not gotten up the nerve yet to tell anyone but my wife (and the buddy who runs marathons). Guess I need to suck it up and take the plunge.

Doing lighter competition as training is a great idea. I live in a really rural area and so there are not too many options, but I think I can make a sprint in Nashville on September 16, 2005. Also, there are fairly local 10ks in March and April, 2007, that I can run to get used to organized competition in the months leading up to the big one.

I really appreciate the advice and will keep you posted.
2006-06-23 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Michigan
You can do it. Hard work and a good diet and you will be crossing the finish line.
2006-06-23 2:20 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

You can get ready for an olympic triathlon in 11 months.  Do yourself a favour though and start slowly.  You have 48 weeks so there is no rush.  Start with the 16 week swim focused sprint triathlon training program from this site.  Follow that up with a 20 week olympic training program and then maintain your level of fitness until your triathlon. 

Do sign up for an olympic triathlon as soon as possible to keep you focused on your goal.

Ask as many questions as you can on BT about training, racing, nutrition and gear maintenance.

2006-06-23 2:59 PM

User image

thanks again, especially to machiavello for the suggestions on which plans to use, and in which sequence. if you check out my training log you'll see that I'm definitely starting out slow, not trying to do too much too fast.

fyi, I've sucked it up and started telling people I'm running an olympic next May, and it has made me realize there's no backing out. the best part is I found out by telling people that a guy I work every once in awhile runs triathlons regularly, and he gave me an old helmet and some good advice about riding in this area, where to swim, etc.

I will certainly be back and asking questions on the main board as I get closer, right now just trying to shed some pounds and get in a routine. thanks again for the help and kind words
2006-06-23 3:28 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Welcome aboard. You've been given good advice so far, so I won't blather on. Just wanted to say welcome.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Couch to Olympic in 11 months? Rss Feed