BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 78

2008-04-29 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: swbkrun's group - FULL
I am from Seattle and have been doing triathlons for approximately 9 years. I remember when I was 23 watching my wife do her 1st race. It was Danskin. I was so proud of her, but knew that that was something that I never would want to do!!! That is not my cup of tea I THOUGHT!!! Well I some how got suckered into a sprint the very next year, and thought that was "PRETTY FUN."

What's next? I tried another, and had more fun, then another, then the next distance. AN OLYMPIC DISTANCE! That was pretty fun, let's try something different. How about a marathon! WOW that was hard, but what a victory. Ok, I did that... Now let's try a 1/2 Ironman! UGH! TOUGH BUT GREAT.. ANOTHER VICTORY! That really only leaves the mother of all mothers!!

That is right THE IRONMAN! It is logical in the steps of my life goals. I have done all other distances. This seems to be the next step, but wait! I said that I never wanted to do a triathlon 9 years ago, and here I am. I now proudly have a Ironman tattoo, and bragging rights for the rest of my life, but that is not enough! What is next? I don't know! Help me out, LET US HELP EACH OTHER OUT! WHAT IS THAT NEXT GOAL! Join my group, and I will make sure we ALL GET THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by swbkrun 2008-05-01 9:56 AM

2008-04-29 12:38 PM
in reply to: #1369643

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group - OPEN
Hi, I'm Ben, and I like long walks on the beach, sharing a Hammer Gel with my loved one, and pushing my body to the point where an appendage is liable to fall off.
2008-04-29 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Hi Steve, I would love to join your group.

A little about me:

Name: Mark from Austin, TX

I am married with one son (almost 3 yrs old) and another boy on the way (July

I will be 36 this summer and entering my first tri on May 25th (it will be a sprint).  Actually, I think it is less than a sprint (called a "first tri".  I am also registered for a sprint on June 22nd.  I would like to get a few sprints under my belt and then give Oly a try. 

I am a pretty strong swimmer and swam competitively in high school and my freshman year in college.  That was a while ago so I am really working on my endurance.  I have been a casual runner for the past 10 years but more for exercise than anything else.  I just recently bought an entry road bike and this will probably be my weakest event. 

Let me know if you need anything else.

2008-04-29 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

Welcome Mark!

2008-04-29 6:44 PM

User image

Dallas

room for one more? let me know and i'll send you my info later today

2008-04-29 10:41 PM
in reply to: #1369649

User image

Pro
MoquiVA - 2008-04-29 10:38 AM

Hi, I'm Ben, and I like long walks on the beach, sharing a Hammer Gel with my loved one, and pushing my body to the point where an appendage is liable to fall off.

Yeah Ben but what about your new bike? Where is the love there?!

2008-04-29 10:42 PM
in reply to: #1370718

User image

Pro
Squatch79 - 2008-04-29 4:44 PM

ALWAYS ROOM!
2008-04-29 10:43 PM
in reply to: #1370409

User image

Pro
texwilk - 2008-04-29 2:04 PM

Hi Steve, I would love to join your group.

A little about me:

Name: Mark from Austin, TX

I am married with one son (almost 3 yrs old) and another boy on the way (July

I will be 36 this summer and entering my first tri on May 25th (it will be a sprint).  Actually, I think it is less than a sprint (called a "first tri").  I am also registered for a sprint on June 22nd.  I would like to get a few sprints under my belt and then give Oly a try. 

I am a pretty strong swimmer and swam competitively in high school and my freshman year in college.  That was a while ago so I am really working on my endurance.  I have been a casual runner for the past 10 years but more for exercise than anything else.  I just recently bought an entry road bike and this will probably be my weakest event. 

Let me know if you need anything else.

Mark some of the strongest triathletes I find are swimmers. You are set. That is usually peoples worst, hardest, and scariest event!! WELCOME!
2008-04-30 12:14 AM

User image

Calgary, Canada
Hello Steve

If you allow me, I like to join your group.
My name is Igo, a 44 year old living in Calgary, married with 2 kids (8 year old boy and 5 year old girl). Never done a triathlon, but I am registered for IM Canada 2008 in August

Cycling is my favorite sport as I ride everyday to work, which is a 1.25hr round trip
I started running 3 years ago, did a couple of 1/2's and one full (but slow 4.5hr) marathon. Started swimming last year in the YMCA pool and up to 2.5k in 1 hr workout.

Looking for support in my training, to get my butt out of the door!

Edited by ITan 2008-04-30 12:15 AM
2008-04-30 9:07 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Not sure if you have room for another but I would be interested.

Tony from Arlington, VA will be 37 this year.

My wife started doing Tri's last year so I signed up with her, got in a car accident before my first one, threw my back out before my second one. So I was training last year not anything specific, just making sure I got in a bit of each during the week.

Started the 16 week x2 balanced program a couple months ago.

Completed my first tri last weekend, felt really good afterwards, swim and transition times were pretty good, bike was average and running sucked... (300m/18Mi/2mi)

Doing my next tri, June 1st and another in July. If those go well we were going to sign up for an olympic in November (Miami)

Would love to have someone I can ask my multitude of questions to...

Thanks

2008-04-30 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Okay, Ladies turn.

Hey guys, it's Tracy's story. This one time, at band camp...................

Seriously. I am in my second year of tris, having completed 2 sprints, a bunch of 5Ks, and am currently training for my first olympic in September. I am looking to get in at least one more sprint prior to the olympic to work on my transitions and bricks. I am also doing the Army 10 miler, a half century charity ride, and a super sprint to close out the season.

I was a college cheerleader who has since had 2 kids. Fitness level is returning and I am focusing on getting stronger with a good endurance base. Biking is my strongest. Mark, I am glad to hear you are a swimmer. Need lots of advise. I have roped my poor hubby into the sport with me. It is nice to have a training partner.

It's nice to see the midwest getting a stronger representation in the group. I currently live in North Carolina, but as the signature picture shows I am a Jayhawker. Look out Texans! (Actually I'm a Texan by birth.)

2008-04-30 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Igo,

I know you are training for an IronMan, but what are you doing posting at 1:15 in the morning? Don't you ever sleep!?

Edited by tahrens 2008-04-30 9:25 AM
2008-04-30 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary

Hi Steve, if there is room for one more I would like to join, I will write up a bio a little later today.

Thanks

Perry

2008-04-30 10:55 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
I hope you still have room for a newbie.
I'm Rob and have yet to do my first tri. That is set for June 8. A short distance called a "tri a tri" but one none the less. I start training on the treadmill and stationary bike this past January and have progressed to outdoors. The swimming I started training inn March in the local pool. I have been following a training schedule found here on BT. It is actually trainng for a sprint but I figured if I train for a sprint a shorter distance should be easier.
I am 55 years old and have been athletic all my life being involved in hockey, baseball and other assorted sports. I have 3rd degree black belt in karate but retired from the sport last year. Married with a great wife, 2 girls and 2 grandchildren.
I am hoping to do this first tri and then move into a couple sprints I would like to get into an Olympic distance but that may have to wait until next year as business is booming right now. I do have some trouble fitting all the training in but have great support from home.

Edited by Redknight 2008-04-30 10:58 AM
2008-04-30 11:28 AM
in reply to: #1371233

User image

Dallas
swbkrun - 2008-04-29 10:42 PM
Squatch79 - 2008-04-29 4:44 PM

ALWAYS ROOM!

great. i will send my bio later today.  i have been swamped at work but i definitely want to join the group.  thanks.

2008-04-30 11:37 AM
in reply to: #1372396

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

Here's a refresh on my bio for those of you who are new:

NAME: Ben

Story: While it's been a good ten years since I last competed, I decided this year was as good as any to return to the sport. So tossing aside all reason, I have thrown myself headfirst into the sport. Few races down, and many in the works, I love every minute of it.

My motivation to train is a combination of desire to compete, along with a weight-loss / toning goal. I let too many years go by, with too many bottles of wine and good dinners accumulate Now it's the challenge to undo the damage and get back into shape.

My strength is in the run (or was... need to build that back up!), but I am committed to working my swim strokes and learn the mechanics of cycling.

GOAL: Drop my weight from the November 2007 high (227) down to the 170s. Currently with my modified (re: nutrition and serving appropriate) diet I am just about to go under 190 lbs.

I am signed up for (a lot) of racing this year, and have been augmenting my triathlons with 5 and 10k road races. In order to motivate myself to train at a high level, I signed up for the April 2009 IM California 70.3 in Oceanside.

IM Kona is on my mind every time I get in the pool, sit on a bike, or lace up my shoes. I hope to make it there some day.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, two kids (3 and 1)

TRAINING: In the early phases of a custom-built 51-week HIM training/conditioning plan. I am still tweaking it, but I hope to post it up here soon for evaluation from the rest of you.

2008-04-30 11:47 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hi, I am interested in joining your group. I have been happily married 18 years, just keeps getting better, am 41 years old have 5 children anyone want a walking mouth I can spare my 2nd, any takers?

I hit 180 pounds on a 5' 9" frame last summer and decided well enough was enough, I am too cheap to buy new fat clothes I will spend it on a bike instead (bikes are expensive). So training went fairly well, then I did my first sprint in December and finished very well for me, despite totaling my bike 3 days before the event when I was 700 miles from home. (gogo first tri on a rental bike). I went with crazy glue instead of stiches over the right eye so it would be waterproof for the swim 8).

I had been hoping to hit an olympic distance some time this fall, but well I have been sick on and off for basically 4 months after starting to show some decent improvements in endurance.

I have had countless colds, shins gave me prolbems, back has a twing to it, right foot bugged out on me for a couple weeks, left knee twinged for a couple weeks and now I have had gastroentinitis for 2 weeks with my first half mary scheduled for this Sunday. I was on bedrest sat, sun, monday with a clear liquids diet sat sun, crackers monday tuesday and ensure and crackers today, maybe some toast. Oh ya and that minor groin pull on the trampoline wiht my 2nd (the mouth) where he jumped right in front of me and I nearly squished him.

I am thinking I will go to the half mary anyway, I can probly move to more solid food today or tomorrow. I am not expecting anything decent time wize, just to finish it.

By the way I live way out in the boondox, 100 miles from nearest stoplight with all 3 colors, at 4500 feet and no swimming possibilities during the winter which is very limiting. I have no swiming experience other than usual splish and splash around the dock, so I will have to learn to swim. I am really hoping that that old rotator cuf injury won't limit me from doing the crawl.

So far I have lost 30 pounds (150 lbs this am) could spare another 5-10, 140 would be ideal. I now ice my legs after longer runs, well now a days after every run. Hopefully the snow on the ground melts, I get over this last round of illness and can get back into a training routine.

Oh ya and I did a 10 mile race 3/1 in 78 minutes. That was way faster than I usualy run. I am the lone wolf because no one in my town exercizes. When I first started running folks would pull over and ask where my car had broken down because, why else would I be running along side the road. Anyway, long read, but thats me.
2008-04-30 12:01 PM

User image

NYC, NY

Hi swbkrun,

Im from New York City.
I am relatively new to the sport of triathlon.

I have never been a star athlete but particpated all through high school (Swim and Lacrosse). But I always hated running.

As a dare from a work collegue, we trained for a 5K race 2 summers ago. I ended up loving it and continued running and racing through the summer. As the fall and winter were approaching I knew that I would likely stay indoors  and lose my endurance. so I decided to join an organized group to help motivate me to continue running and have the organized coaching. I went to a meeting to sign up for their half marathon program and I was pulled into joining a triathlon. I complete by first Tri last april (olympic) despite injury (needing a cortisone injection) and fell in love.

However, I lost my season to my injury and have been battling both knee, ITB and shin splint issues ever since. So I keep training but am constantly having to rest and take days to weeks off to recover.... making getting conditioned for this season frustrating.

2008 Season:

St. Anthony's (last weekend) PR'd by 13min 

Capital of Texas  (Olympic) Memorial day Weekend

Mayors Half Marathon (Alaska) June  

Westchester (Olympic Relay Swim) September

Montauk Half IM ( Relay Swim) October

Current Goal: Improve Olympic Time to sub 3hours (now 3:13)

Future Goal: Half Ironman next season.

Onwards, Upwards and Sometimes Sideways Smile

2008-04-30 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1371915

User image

Veteran
Calgary

Bio time, I am a 6' 2" 34 years old and 6 months ago I was 238lbs and lazy, I decided to do a Triathlon in Dec of 07 as it has always interested me and I wanted to be able to push myself like I have never done before. I also have two little girls at home and I did want them being raised by an always tired and out of shape dad. I've never done any competive sports in the past, I have play football and volleyball but a recreational level so this is totally new to me.

As of today I have lost 35 punds (a weight I haven't seen in about 17 years) and looking to break the barrier of being under 200lbs for the first time in about 17 years.  I started training using one of the free BT plans in December on my own and also hired a personal trainer to help me. I have signed up as a gold member now and amdoing the basic Olympic distance plan and training up to 9 times a week. I am registered for an A race on Aug 17th which is an Olympic distance race. I am planning on doing at least one sprint before then so I am not completely a newbie for my A race, but would like to do more before then. I love the training that I am doing and feel energized when tell people about my plans and many say they have drawn inpiration from what I am doing which is a weird thing to hear.

I overall plan is to do the Olympic this year, and then start planning and training for a HIM next year and if all goes well maybe just maybe a full IM in 2010, but only time will tell.

I love this site and am on it on a regular basis and have aquired a lot of knowledge and inspiration from the stories here and I will be forever gratefull to BT for helping me with my journey.

Enough said..... lets getter done....

Edited by Pasman 2008-04-30 1:06 PM
2008-04-30 1:47 PM
in reply to: #1371303

User image

Veteran
Calgary
hey just notices you're another cowtowner.... excellent!!!!
2008-04-30 2:12 PM

User image

Dallas

My name is Craig and I live in Amarillo, TX.  I am 28 years old and began my quest to conquer this triathlon thing in January.  For probably the last 3 or 4 years, I have been intrigued by the sport but never really had a chance to get into it.  I am a poor college student and could never really get enough money together to get a bike, so I just dreamt about it for a while.  This last September, I said screw it, bought a bike and started riding.  In January, I officially began training for my first triathlon.   I didn't find this website until about 3 weeks ago, but have been trying since then to absorb all of the valuable knowledge that all of the members throw out there.

I have no formal background in swimming, running, or cycling, but have always been very active, playing team sports most of my life.  Training is tough at times because I always worry that I'm not using my time wisely by doing the right things.  I can go out and put the time in but I always think to myself that I could be doing this differently with maybe a better result.  I haven't really been following a specific plan other than making sure I spend enough time each week on all 3 events.  I competed in my first race in March and like most people, was immediately hooked.  I continued the training and finished my second sprint last weekend.  I am improving daily and have numerous sprints lined up over the next few months.  I also plan on doing maybe 2 or 3 olympic distances during that time as well.

I am single, which allows for a huge amount of freedom to train whenever I want.  However, I am in medical school and am constantly having to battle studying, call, lectures.  My schedule is pretty erratic, but I use training as a release and have gotten into a nice routine to juggle everything. 

My long term goals are to compete in a 1/2 IM and IM within the next year or two.  I would love to one day qualify for Kona.  Other than that, I hope to do this for the rest of my life and meet a lot of great people along the way.  I love the culture of the sport and thrive off of the competition and fellowship that it creates.   

My strength is cycling and I love getting on the bike.  Swimming has been a self-teaching type thing and my running is pretty average.  I look forward to using you swimmers and runners for some knowledge along the way.  I am really excited about getting the most out of this mentor experience.

Tracy, I'm an Aggie, so we might have to team up against Mark.  Actually, I probably should worry about you two teaming up against me!

Edited by Squatch79 2008-04-30 2:17 PM

2008-04-30 3:10 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I'd like to join up as well!

I started training last year when I realized I was way too far overweight, and a triathlon was something I always wanted to do but thought it was too far out of reach.  So I trained from January, lost about 45lbs and did my first two Sprint triathlons in August and September.  I was very happy with the accomplishment, as well as the results!

This year I'm planning on a sprint in a couple of weeks, then my first Olympic in June, then another in July.  I'm registered for those, and after that is kind of up in the year.  My biggest struggle this year is how to find the time to ramp up the minutes that I need to do train successfully.

Also towards the end of last year I started to have lots of aches and pains that made the training not so much fun anymore.  I ended up taking a bunch of time off, and I've been very surprised at how much my fitness dropped off.  So I'd like to avoid that happening again. 

I've been married for coming up to 13 years now, and we have two daughters who are 10 and 7.

Assuming all goes well this year, I'd like to be able to do an HIM next year.

I should also mention that I'm riding a Mountain Bike!  So my goal is also to get a proper road bike or tri bike.  But today I'm about to drop $3k on a trip to Ireland in August to visit my wife's family (I dragged her over to the US after we got married!), so the bike is starting to look doubtful... Frown 

2008-04-30 5:12 PM

User image

Expert
B'ham

Hey, looks like this group is still open and I'd like to join up.

My name is Matt, 31, married with a 10 month old daughter and yet to do my first tri.  I decided to do a triathlon in December of 2007 and have lost about 20 lbs since making that decision.  I am most recently a recreational mountain biker, but have always been athletic and participated in many different sports.

Swimming and biking are my stronger disciplines.  Running has been causing me issues of late, more on that later.

My goal for now is a Sprint on July 12th.  I haven't looked much beyond that.  I was considering a half-marathon in the fall, but with my run-training issues - who knows.

Thanks,

Matt

2008-04-30 5:28 PM
in reply to: #1371894

User image

Calgary, Canada
Lauren

Most likely it was I woke up at 1AM (as I sleep at 9PM so a 4hr sleep already) and was thinking of , what else, TRAINING. So logged into BT And with Steve's email that the old forum was moved to this one, so there was no time to loose.
This Tri thing is a taking over my life :-) In a good way
2008-04-30 5:35 PM
in reply to: #1372888

User image

Calgary, Canada
Welcome Perry

It good to be in Calgary now as the weather is getting better! At last
I work in downtown and do most of my workouts swim at the YMCA Eau Claire.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 78