General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taper vs de-train Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-22 8:42 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Taper vs de-train

In the 10+ years I've been doing triathlons and marathons I have always struggled with "taper".  Maybe it's my ODC, nothing-exceeds-like-excess personality but I have a hard time doing ANYTHING in moderation.  Subsequently, when it  comes time to taper, I end up doing nothing or almost nothing.  I've done a modicum of training this week but I don't plan on doing anything this weekend and not much next week either.

So the question is, at what point does taper become de-training?  That is, if I do NOTHING for the next week, how bad is this and will my body start to lose muscle?

~Mike

I feel better now having posted my taper thought de jour.  :-)

2008-08-22 8:52 AM
in reply to: #1620787

User image

Expert
Louisville, KY
Subject: RE: Taper vs de-train
I've been thinking that one over this week as I've had an extremely hard time getting to my workouts.  Mentally, I feel like I'm letting all of the air out the ballon that I worked so hard to fill over the last few months. 
2008-08-22 8:54 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

1-2 weeks of no training and you will detrain / not be optimally prepared for your race.  Will you be completely back to square 0, no.  But you're not doing yourself any favors at all.

Make sure to let the air out of your bike tires race morning, don't bother with nutrition, just drink water, and hammer the heck out of the bike. 

There is no glory that I see in knowingly setting yourself up to fail. 

Perhaps your motto should be "Nothing fails like self sabotage."

y

2008-08-22 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1620839

User image

Champion
Alabama
coredump - 2008-08-22 8:54 AM

1-2 weeks of no training and you will detrain / not be optimally prepared for your race.  Will you be completely back to square 0, no.  But you're not doing yourself any favors at all.

Make sure to let the air out of your bike tires race morning, don't bother with nutrition, just drink water, and hammer the heck out of the bike. 

y

The question still remains....how much is too much and how much is too little?  Should I limit my runs to 6 miles or 2 miles?  Should I cut my Saturday bike ride down to 3 hours or 1 hour? 

~Mike

2008-08-22 9:37 AM

Regular
TwinCities, MN

I am doing IMLOU on the 31st. Here is my 3week taper. I will work short intervals of 5-6 minutes of zone3-4 work on the bike and run but not much. I am just trying to trust the training schedule and hope It all works out. Good luck all.

8/11 off day

8/12 swim 3500m, Run 45min

8/13 bike 45min, Run 30min

8/14 swim 4000m, Bike 1hr

8/15 swim 3500m, run 1hr

8/16 bike 4hrs, run 30min

8/17 bike 1 hour, run 2hrs

8/18 off day

8/19 swim 3600m, run 45min

8/20 bike 45 min, run 15min

8/21 swim 3400m, bike 1hr

8/22 swim 3500m, run 45min

8/23 bike 2hrs, run 30

8/24 bike 1 hr, run 1hr

8/25 off day

8/26 swim 3500m, run 45min

8/27 bike 45min, run 15min

8/28 travel day

8/29 swim ohio river 15-20min. 45min bike, 15min run.

8/30 15min swim ohio river, 15min run/bike. Hydrate!

2008-08-22 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1620956

User image

over a barrier
Rogillio - 2008-08-22 9:20 AM

coredump - 2008-08-22 8:54 AM

y

The question still remains....how much is too much and how much is too little?  Should I limit my runs to 6 miles or 2 miles?  Should I cut my Saturday bike ride down to 3 hours or 1 hour? 

~Mike

What ever your training plan says.....

2008-08-22 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well my taper has turned into me not doing anything pretty much.

Why?

1) It's been raining here. The days I could have ridden my bike (M-W) I could not do it outside. My coach said no trainer. So no riding for me.

2) I can't run because my left knee is hurt right now. I'm trying to get it to stop hurting so I can have a good race. I'll have a good race no matter what, but who knows how much suffering I'll have. Right now, there will be some suffering.

3) I did swim once this week, 3,000 yards. Could I have swam every day? Yes. But since I'm a strong swimmer... I didn't see the need in doing it. Honestly, I just can't swim back to back days, and mentally I'm not into it enough to do that. AAANNNDDDD... after I did swim on Wednesday, my knee hurt afterwards. So swimming more didn't seem like a wise decision.

So Mon-Fri of this week I have had 1 swim session, and that's it.

2008-08-22 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1620956

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX

I originally typed up a longer response, but decided to go with somewhat shorter version. IM Training happens over months (and preferably years). You're not going to make yourself faster in that last week by doing a 1 hour bike vs a 30 minute bike, etc. We tend to be Type A obsessive control freaks that are looking for magic bullets - there are none. Lower your volume, limit intensity to shorter durations, and allow yourself to rest and recover from the brutality you've subjected your body to for the many months leading up to the IM. You cannot make yourself more fit in the last week, but you can limit the recovery that your body is attempting.

2008-08-22 9:58 AM
in reply to: #1621066

User image

Champion
Alabama
PLMsbr - 2008-08-22 9:45 AM

I originally typed up a longer response, but decided to go with somewhat shorter version. IM Training happens over months (and preferably years). You're not going to make yourself faster in that last week by doing a 1 hour bike vs a 30 minute bike, etc. We tend to be Type A obsessive control freaks that are looking for magic bullets - there are none. Lower your volume, limit intensity to shorter durations, and allow yourself to rest and recover from the brutality you've subjected your body to for the many months leading up to the IM. You cannot make yourself more fit in the last week, but you can limit the recovery that your body is attempting.

Good thoughts.  I wish you had opted for the longer version.

~Mike 

2008-08-22 10:03 AM

My coach: "There is nothing you can do in the last ten days to make yourself better on IM race day, but there are a lot of things you can do to make yourself worse. Do as little as you can stand."

Me personally, I feel like I am becoming a big fat blob. Bring it on already.
2008-08-22 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Ive heard this explained well... during TAPER phase, your muscles are ready to go, your mind, is not. After the IM, your mind is still on its high, ready to go, but your body/muscles are not.

Basically, do your taper workouts, you will not always feel like it, but just as your plan leading up to the race served a purpose, so does the taper. Missing a little more is one thing, will it hurt a week or two out, no. But not doing most things during taper, yeah, your body remembers paces/speed/use, so I would think you are hurting yourself a bit by going too far on slacking off during taper

2008-08-22 10:12 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
A taper should be relatively easy: a gradual redcuction in volume while maintaining training intensity. So if your long runs where 14 miles, start cutting down the volume until you get to a long run of 8 BUT run at the same pace you were training at. A taper is not about doing 'nothing" but doing the same thing you have been for months but at much less volume leading into the race. By holding on to the "intensity" you prevent the de-training, although I would think it would take a great deal of doing nothing to actually achieve that.
2008-08-22 10:20 AM
in reply to: #1621120

User image

Elite
Chicago

bravo1 - 2008-08-22 10:03 AM My coach: "There is nothing you can do in the last ten days to make yourself better on IM race day, but there are a lot of things you can do to make yourself worse. Do as little as you can stand." Me personally, I feel like I am becoming a big fat blob. Bring it on already.

I see your coach is smart and subscribes to my taper methodology:

"What you do can't help you but what you don't do can hurt you."

but I won't post my taper graph here again...(ha ha ha)...you can view it on the other post .

2008-08-22 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1621174

Steve,

I missed that one. I like your graphics. It is clear that I have not been spending an adequate amount of time on the BT website. I hope that won't hurt me on the race.
2008-08-22 12:53 PM

User image

Expert
Part of the reason taper workouts feel so crappy is that most of our bodies have gotten used to the long workouts. My body doesn't feel warmed up for 30 miles on the bike now, swim takes me a good 1000 yards and running, 6 miles to get into a groove. Now that my workouts are mosty at or below that warm up line I just start to feel good when the workout is over. My body is achey and I feel like I have pulled 3 or 4 muscles, my body is used to getting 2 - 8 hours of workouts in a day, just a stretch and 30 - 60 min. workout just doesn't cut it.

I've pretty much screwed up my last 5 weeks of training b/c of family (sick kid, I mean really sick) and travel. I am going into the race feeling very de-trained b/c I peaked in July then Aug. really started to fall apart rather than continue the peak. Because life in general has been overwhelming I have at times had to choose nap & sleep over workouts. It is a gamble but I was undertrained and well rested last year and had a GREAT race. For the Disney Marathon I was well trained but under rested and I had one of the worst days of my life.
So, on top of all the other things you have to worry about I would put having a resting body that is 100% topped of w/ lots of carbs & fluids up at the top.
2008-08-22 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland

I am the opposite since it is difficult for me to accept the taper and now woth Ironman for the first time, I need to accept 2 weeks tapering which will be the incoming 2 weeks.

Coming to your question, about running, 1 week is not enough to loose performances if you just jog few times. The second week can be "killing" already if you don't throw in some intensity.

For the bike I would assume the same but I have little experience.

For the swimming I would say that it is more a sport where tecnique plays a big role so 2 weeks I would be more relaxed.

Just for your info, next week 3 training days with intensity and in the last week of the taper, just "hard" training day on wednesday. 

2008-08-22 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I wondered this too and asked my coach about it.

I was on a 3 week taper and still felt pretty crappy and fatigued going into week 2 so we shortened the 12 mile run to 8, pulled a run and shortened the others from 5 to 3. Originally my 2nd week taper week had I think 22-25 miles of running. Running is what fatigues me the most and I think I ran about 13-14. I started feeling better at end of week 2 which is about now for you IMKY folks.

My coach had me do higher % of intenisty than normal and cut length down of my workouts. He said current research shows best way to stay sharp and also allow me to recover from the fatigue. I had only one rest day a week and did doubles most days..either swim/bike or swim/run. I also worked on mental stuff to get to a good place come race day. Training was done best thing I could do for me was to mentally strong and positive so I could do my best come race day.

What we did worked great for me. I did 3 week bike/run taper and kept building my swim so I was swimming 5x a week (I'm worst at swimming) and did my last 2.4 mile swim about 10 days out from my IM. 

2008-08-22 3:07 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

There is NO one right answer. Our bodies respond to the stress of training differently and what you have to think is in terms of positive (training adaptation) and negative (fatigue). There are studies done about this and in general it indicates an athlete can begin realizing the positives effects (benefit) of one session as soon as 4-5 days and as long as 7-8 days. OTOH the negatives or the time it will take you to recover for a given session can be as short as hours (12-24 hrs) and as long as days (10+ days). All this depends directly on your specific physiology and fitness level.  

In terms of de-training there are also studies (Coyle is one of them) in which it indicates an athlete begins to lose training adaptations as soon as 7 days and it tend to peak at around 21 days but again this varies from athlete to athlete. For that reason through taper times the key factor is to stress the body just enough so it can maintain the produced adaptations gained through months of training but easy enough that is not stressing the body to the point it forces it to further adapt and subsequently induced too much fatigue.

So what does this mean for someone planning taper for IM? Well, the best approach is to pay attention to your training and keep a log. In that way you can easily estimate how fast it takes you to recover from long/intense sessions, how often do you see breakthrough sessions/days and when you do begin to slow down/plateau after easy training or inactivity. A 3 week taper might be good for some while too long for others. Taking a few days off might be great for some but really bad for others. Doing a 3 hr ride the week before IM might be ‘easy’ for some but ‘hard’ for others.

The message here is that you just need to do enough to keep the hard earned fitness you accomplished in weeks of training but not too much that get to your race day fatigued/unrecovered. But also it is VERY possible end up detraining and losing that hard earned fitness by ‘resting’ too much

I believe people adhere to the 3 week taper advice just cuz it become sort of famous by Friel as a general advice and IMO some of the coaches following it either don’t understand training adaptations/detraining very well, don’t know their athletes very well or are too lazy to learn/pay attention.

BTW -  To state that you can’t get positive training benefits days before an IM is inaccurate, in fact doing a timely planned threshold session could give an athlete a great performance boost on race day; is it risky if not plan properly? Definitely but it can also be worth it if done correctly. (That’s why some coaches schedule short-high intensity sessions, they might not understand why, but they do it )

2008-08-22 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1622029

User image

Champion
Alabama
amiine - 2008-08-22 3:07 PM

There is NO one right answer. Our bodies respond to the stress of training differently and what you have to think is in terms of positive (training adaptation) and negative (fatigue). There are studies done about this and in general it indicates an athlete can begin realizing the positives effects (benefit) of one session as soon as 4-5 days and as long as 7-8 days. OTOH the negatives or the time it will take you to recover for a given session can be as short as hours (12-24 hrs) and as long as days (10+ days). All this depends directly on your specific physiology and fitness level.  

In terms of de-training there are also studies (Coyle is one of them) in which it indicates an athlete begins to lose training adaptations as soon as 7 days and it tend to peak at around 21 days but again this varies from athlete to athlete. For that reason through taper times the key factor is to stress the body just enough so it can maintain the produced adaptations gained through months of training but easy enough that is not stressing the body to the point it forces it to further adapt and subsequently induced too much fatigue.

So what does this mean for someone planning taper for IM? Well, the best approach is to pay attention to your training and keep a log. In that way you can easily estimate how fast it takes you to recover from long/intense sessions, how often do you see breakthrough sessions/days and when you do begin to slow down/plateau after easy training or inactivity. A 3 week taper might be good for some while too long for others. Taking a few days off might be great for some but really bad for others. Doing a 3 hr ride the week before IM might be ‘easy’ for some but ‘hard’ for others.

The message here is that you just need to do enough to keep the hard earned fitness you accomplished in weeks of training but not too much that get to your race day fatigued/unrecovered. But also it is VERY possible end up detraining and losing that hard earned fitness by ‘resting’ too much

I believe people adhere to the 3 week taper advice just cuz it become sort of famous by Friel as a general advice and IMO some of the coaches following it either don’t understand training adaptations/detraining very well, don’t know their athletes very well or are too lazy to learn/pay attention.

BTW -  To state that you can’t get positive training benefits days before an IM is inaccurate, in fact doing a timely planned threshold session could give an athlete a great performance boost on race day; is it risky if not plan properly? Definitely but it can also be worth it if done correctly. (That’s why some coaches schedule short-high intensity sessions, they might not understand why, but they do it )

Excellent post!  Thanks.  This is very helpful!

~Mike

2008-08-22 10:08 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

...in fact doing a timely planned threshold session could give an athlete a great performance boost on race day...

that's great news and I did not know that!  can you point me to where I can read up more about this fact? 

thx!

2008-08-23 7:25 AM
in reply to: #1622728

New user

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0903.htm
A helpful article which specidfially addresses the no volume vs. low volume, low intensity vs. low volume high intensity.

2008-08-23 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1622874

User image

Champion
Alabama

pdwonderboy - 2008-08-23 7:25 AM http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0903.htmA helpful article which specidfially addresses the no volume vs. low volume, low intensity vs. low volume high intensity.

Good read!  Thanks for posting this.

~Mike

2008-08-23 8:44 AM
in reply to: #1622920

User image

Champion
MA
Rogillio - 2008-08-23 9:42 AM

pdwonderboy - 2008-08-23 7:25 AM http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0903.htmA helpful article which specidfially addresses the no volume vs. low volume, low intensity vs. low volume high intensity.

Good read! Thanks for posting this.

~Mike

x2

Thanks! 

2008-08-23 11:32 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-23 12:58 PM

Elite

Bravo!
Very well put.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taper vs de-train Rss Feed  

of 2