General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » some random product/getting started questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-27 2:20 PM

Subject: some random product/getting started questions
Hi guys

I'm a medical student and I'm training to do my first tri - I'm doing it through Team in Training, so I'm getting a lot of coaching support, which is great. But I haven't been able to gather many knowledgeable opinions about what I REALLY should be buying. Since I am a student, I am POOR and can't spend much money. I'm riding a borrowed bike (don't worry we made sure it fits), since my bike is really heavy and I can't afford a new one. I've put up the bucks for some good running shoes and bought bike shoes to clip in with. The wet suit is being provided, and I have bike shorts. There is so much stuff out there that I COULD be buying; what of it do I really need? Tri shorts? Special socks? Compression shorts? Fancy sunglasses? What am I likely to be comfortable in under the wetsuit?

Thanks - any opinions would be helpful since I'm kind of like a deer in the headlights right now.

-R

2004-03-27 3:35 PM
in reply to: #14793

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-03-27 3:42 PM

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: some random product/getting started questions
Hi! Well, this is the place for answers. I'm also doing my first tri this year, and I'm in the same boat (although I did just find out I'm owed $1300 - woo hoo! New bike!)

From what I've learned so far, a tri-suit is not essential, although you'll want to be comfortable for your swim and bike portions. I'm going to go with my running shoes during the bike portion this time, as I've found that the tread on my running shoes grips the pedals pretty well.

The socks seem to be a 50-50 proposition. A lot of people don't wear them. I will, as I hate smelly shoes! I've got a pair of cheap sunglasses (thank you, ZZ Top!) so that if I lose/scratch them, I'm only out a few dollars. Since I wear contacts, I wanted a pair that will 'wrap' somewhat to keep the wind out of my eyes. Eating bugs is one thing, I don't want messing up a contact lens.

I think the distances might help you decide what you'll need. For a 15 mile bike ride, I know I could potentially drink 36-48 oz of water. I'll have one bottle and my camelback. I know I won't want to mess around with the number too much, so I'll get a belt for that. Since I'm doing a sprint, I don't think I'll need any energy gels, but I'll bring a couple of bananas and some fruit bars (which I find so much cheaper and tastier than regular energy bars).

Don't forget some of your other training costs: pool membership, food, etc. I'm planning on asking for 'sponsorship' help; if I can pick up smaller stuff like a water bottle, towel, transition bag, etc. from those companies that would normally give them away as freebies, it's one less thing to buy.

Good luck!
2004-03-28 6:46 PM

Veteran
Illinois
Hey R-

Welcome to the site, kudos for many things: being in med school, training for tri, and raising money for a great cause [leukemia]. I did TNT in 2000, and what a great experience i had with them!

as for what you need- i love buying the cheapo glasses... until i misplaced them, my best pair were $15... they were a light tint of brown and covered my eyes on the sides. i made sure that they fit right by wearing them in the store for a good 10 minutes [sure i looked like a dork, but i hate the pressure pain that some glasses give you after riding a while].

swim cap- my favorite are the silicone ones.... i've had one made by TYR that i've been using for 4 yrs now. it's been tortured but still no signs of wear or tear. that cost me like $12.

swim goggles- i LOVE the Aqua Sphere goggles by Seal. Seal also makes the mask, but the goggle are lighter and a bit cheaper. these cost about $20 and should last you about a good 6 months if not more. Again, I would by a lightly tinted pair... it helps reduce the glare on overcast day AND the sunshine on a sunny day.

As for what to wear underneath the wetsuit, i'm still trying to figure this part out- i'll avoid any advice here. BUT DO make sure you oil yourself up with something to make putting on/taking off your wet suit a little bit easier. TNT should give you advice on this..... 1-2 weeks prior to your race, they have a mock mini triathlon with the team.... this is really cool and will prep you for the actual race day.

i can't think of anything else, but good luck with everything, write in if you have more questions! welcome again!

Milly
2004-03-28 9:46 PM

, Alabama

Rebecca, welcome to the site.  The most important thing as far as what to wear is whatever's most comfortable to you.  You need to practice everything in training so there are minimal surprises on race day.  How long is the race?  Will you definitely be needing/using a wetsuit for the race?  As far as the shorts are concerned, I'm a big fan of the tri-shorts.  There's enough padding so biking is okay, but thin enough to run in also.  They also dry quickly from the swim. 

Sharon

2004-03-29 8:53 AM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Welcome Rebecca. You can spend as much or as little as you want. It seems to me that you have the basic necessities, a swimsuit, a bike (replete with clipless pedals and shoes), and running shoes. What are are you likely to be comfortable in under the wetsuit? A tri suit comes to mind. When you get right down to it, the tri suit is used for all three events which comes out cheaper than buying a swimsuit, a cycling outfit and a jogging outfit....and you save tons of time by not having to change! As for the rest ...fancy sunglasses...get what you like? If anyone sneers at you for not wearing "in" sunsglasses, just sneer back!

2004-03-29 3:48 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm just kind of confused about the whole clothing plan. I definitely will be wetsuit for the swim. I was thinking that under the wetsuit would go a comfy sports bra and some type of bottom - tri shorts seem to be getting endorsed, so probably that if I pull together the cash (oh, tax return, where are you?!?!) - otherwise I probably would have done just little lycra shorts. Now, do most people wear just the tri shorts for the bike, or should I be thinking that I'll be wanting to pull on my bike shorts over (this is olympic distance, so its 25mi), then pull those off at transition #2 and run in the tri shorts?

I'm staying away from the idea of a 'tri suit' just because I usually don't like one-piece clothing (overalls and the like drive me crazy) so I'm betting it would be a bad investment.

Its good to get so much feedback!

-rebecca
2004-03-29 5:48 PM

First I wanted to say welcome Rebecca! Being a student that is putting himself through school right now I can relate to the money issues.

Second, I wanted to continue with the gear question. I myself feel like a "deer in the headlights." My situation is different as far as I am doing a sprint and I will be in a pool for the swimming portion (Rebecca I assume your outdoors hence the wetsuit?) Also, I am male (at least last time I checked). What are noticable differences in gear here other then the obvious (women specific bikes, sports bras, etc.)?

Money is very tight for me (yes I check the mailbox for the tax refund everyday, its kind of like christmas except your not getting a present, just money that you already made back). I am a runner/cyclist so I'd like to buy as little as possible by utilizing my running and cycling gear.

Vets, dig in!!!! Thank you in advance for your help.

-Michael
2004-03-29 7:55 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

Welcome to the site - here's my two cents on gear:

You need a bike, but it doesn't have to be tri-specific or have all of the bells and whistles.  You need shoes - get fitted, but I'm sure the TNT folks can tell you that.  You need a swimming suit and goggles.  You need a helmet.  Other than that, it's up to you.

If you spend the money for tri-suits or tri-shorts, that's cool.  If you like doing triathlon, you'll probably use them for a long time.  If you are in a phase (my wife went through the phase) then most of what you buy will wind up in a drawer and you'll really not be happy with the way you spent your money.

What I've noticed with gear is that you can tell a difference in quality up to a certain price point.  For instance, you may be able to tell a lot of difference between $10 sunglasses and $20 sunglasses, but at $25 you can't tell that much difference.  I noticed this with bikes, but the price point was higher.  I've been training for about a year and just got my first pair of bike shorts.  Yeah, they're kind of nice, but I don't know that I really needed them.

The gear is really kind of secondary.  A pair of shorts or shoes or sunglasses, etc., isn't going to make you faster or better - training will.  Focus on things that will keep you injury free (good shoes) and forego the things you probably don't have to have (the Peace Corpse bike jersey like I just bought) until the $$ improve.  Use the things you don't have to have as rewards for reaching objectives.

Again, just my two cents . . .

TB

2004-03-29 10:56 PM

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the site and as you can see you can get some great advice from a lot of nice people.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » some random product/getting started questions Rss Feed