BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2009-12-14 10:22 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED
NAME: Steve- / Steve (ha, that's a strange coincidence)

STORY: I started in the sport of triathlon in 1996 after being a paratrooper in the United States Army as an Airborne Combat Engineer. Notable races I have competed in are:

* Multiple Ironman Triathlons (including 2 Ironman races in one week)
* Countless Sprint, Olympic, and Half Ironman Triathlons
* Several 24-hour Adventure Races
* Multiple Marathons

I continue to enjoy pushing the limits in all areas of my life living by my motto: "You have not tasted success until you have succeeded at something you truly thought not possible."

What I have found over the years is that I have a passion and love for teaching/showing others how amazing it is to surpass your previous athletic expectations you had for yourself before embarking on the unknown. Those who know me on this forum know how much I love talking triathlon and helping others enjoy the sport.

In addition to coaching, I am member of Mideast Team Elite (www.mideastelite.com) and I also continue to use the sport to raise money and awareness for the Aplastic Anemia and MDS International Foundation (www.aamds.org).

FAMILY STATUS: I am married to an amazing woman and have the cutest little son. (but I'm not biased) www.2foraa.blogspot.com

CURRENT TRAINING: My training has its foundation in peer reviewed research and honed with the practical art of knowing that training sometimes can be as much an art as a science. I make every single workout I do have a purpose and work a specific energy system because I (like everyone else) am very time constrained and need to get the most optimal benefit from each and every workout. (I never have "saddle time" to just get miles in.)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2009 was my 13th year in the sport and I took the year off of racing. My family needed the break.

2010 RACES: Somewhat up in the air but most likely Racine 70.3, a 1/2 and full marathon and any other races that people drag me into.

WEIGHTLOSS: Uhm, I kinda don't have a problem with this. I struggle to keep weight on.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE imparting the knowledge I have to others and see them surpass their previously thought endurance or speed limits. I have a passion to talk triathlon that makes my wife and child go to sleep nightly. ha ha ha. The benefit I can provide to mentees is that I will absolutely NOT provide you with advice that has not been shown to be valid, just read on the "internet", or told to me from a friend whose friend knows this guy that it worked for...so it must work for you. ha ha ha.

You will get the most out of me as a mentor if you have the motivation to succeed and are now ready to hone this motivation to a sharp edge and get ready to rock it out in 2010 !

Edited by Steve- 2009-12-20 3:37 PM

2009-12-15 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2559007

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
Subject: RE: Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - OPEN
Steve,

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring and join your Mentor Group.

NAME:  eddievolly/ Eddie

STORY:  I grew up playing soccer since I could walk.  High school provided the opportunity to play volleyball and of course, soccer was still a huge success for me.  While at UofI-Champaign, I continued to play soccer for the traveling team and played on the Vball Men's Club.  Running always came so easy for me, from my soccer training I think. 
About 4 years ago I started running in the many, many 5K's available to us in the Chicago Metro area.  I LOVED the feeling of competitiveness that it provided and looking up the standings post-race was a great way to track my progress in speed and efficiency.
The racing bug had bitten hard and I did almost 20 events in 2008 which included 4 events in my first season of Triathlons
That pretty much illustrates how crazy I am about participating in age-group related events!

FAMILY STATUS:  - Single.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have the BT "Half Ironman 20 Week Plan" entered to start in February.  Currently I've been going to 2 Spin Classes/week and reintroducing Core work and Running to my regiment.

2009 RACES:  One 5K, one 8K, one 10Miler, 3 Half-Marathons, and two Olympic triathlons.

2010 RACES:  Actual: Under Construction
                        Planned: 3/7/10    Wacky Snacky 5K (Chicago, IL)
                                       4/18/10  Dooby Du Formula 1 Style Duathlon (Toledo, OH)
                                       5/29/10  Soldier Field 10Miler (Chicago, IL)
                                       6/20/10  Maumee Bay Olympic Triathlon (Toledo, OH)
                                       7/10/10  Ironman Racine 70.3 (Racine, WI)
                                       8/8/10    Sylvania Olympic Triathlon (Toledo, OH)
                                       9/26/10  Ironman Augusta 70.3 (Augusta, GA)

WEIGHTLOSS:  I've managed to put 10lbs on my frame and intend to keep it.  Getting faster over the next few years may shed some of those pounds away but they should provide the added strength I need to get faster.

So....am I in?
2009-12-16 9:56 PM
in reply to: #2560109

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - OPEN !
Sure, love to have you. 70.3 distance races qualify for "distance endurance"

eddievolly - 2009-12-15 12:12 PM

Steve,

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring and join your Mentor Group.

NAME:  eddievolly/ Eddie

STORY:  I grew up playing soccer since I could walk.  High school provided the opportunity to play volleyball and of course, soccer was still a huge success for me.  While at UofI-Champaign, I continued to play soccer for the traveling team and played on the Vball Men's Club.  Running always came so easy for me, from my soccer training I think. 
About 4 years ago I started running in the many, many 5K's available to us in the Chicago Metro area.  I LOVED the feeling of competitiveness that it provided and looking up the standings post-race was a great way to track my progress in speed and efficiency.
The racing bug had bitten hard and I did almost 20 events in 2008 which included 4 events in my first season of Triathlons
That pretty much illustrates how crazy I am about participating in age-group related events!

FAMILY STATUS:  - Single.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have the BT "Half Ironman 20 Week Plan" entered to start in February.  Currently I've been going to 2 Spin Classes/week and reintroducing Core work and Running to my regiment.

2009 RACES:  One 5K, one 8K, one 10Miler, 3 Half-Marathons, and two Olympic triathlons.

2010 RACES:  Actual: Under Construction
                        Planned: 3/7/10    Wacky Snacky 5K (Chicago, IL)
                                       4/18/10  Dooby Du Formula 1 Style Duathlon (Toledo, OH)
                                       5/29/10  Soldier Field 10Miler (Chicago, IL)
                                       6/20/10  Maumee Bay Olympic Triathlon (Toledo, OH)
                                       7/10/10  Ironman Racine 70.3 (Racine, WI)
                                       8/8/10    Sylvania Olympic Triathlon (Toledo, OH)
                                       9/26/10  Ironman Augusta 70.3 (Augusta, GA)

WEIGHTLOSS:  I've managed to put 10lbs on my frame and intend to keep it.  Getting faster over the next few years may shed some of those pounds away but they should provide the added strength I need to get faster.

So....am I in?

Edited by Steve- 2009-12-19 9:31 PM
2009-12-16 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
Ahh yes.  I forgot to include that point in fact:

I am entering into the Half Ironman realm in 2010 so I can begin to call myself and endurance athlete.

Thanks and look forward to seeing the group expand....
2009-12-18 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2560109

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Count me in!

NAME:  Suzy Shain

STORY:  Started endurance training late in life after watching my first IM WI.  I figured if those athletes could complete 140.6m at one time, I should be able to run a marathon.  Twelve marathons later, including 3 BQ's I turned to triathlon with the goal of completing a 140.6m for myself.  Only problem, I was completely afraid of the water after nearly drowining in Hawaii so had to learn to swim (no small challenge as a 43 year old woman).  Started with sprints two years ago, finished my first HIM this year thanks to a terrific coach  and am competing in IM WI in '10. I should also mention my terrific coach is the mentor of this group.  WIthout him, I would not have had the '09 season I did or be ready for what I have planned in '10.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Paul for 20 fabulous years, no kids, no pets.

CURRENT TRAINING: Rehabing a stress fracture so have been off running for 6 weeks which is killing me.  Focusing on my "opportunity" areas, swimming and biking.

2009 RACES:
  Boston Marathon, 3 Olys, 1 sprint, several running races and the crowned jewel, the Lake Geneva HIM.

2010 RACES:
  3 HIMs-Lonestar 70.3, HIgh Cliff HIM and Racine 70.3, Dairyland Dare, a couple sprints and my A race, IM WI.

WEIGHTLOSS:  Not focused on weight loss, but not focused on gaining weight either!

Looking forward to a fun group.....I am sure there will be no shortage of advice!

Suzy

2009-12-18 8:39 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
I'd love to join in too.  Steve I attended (via Phone) your conference call recently about off season training.

NAME: Jeremy Hagerman

STORY: January '07 I found myself as a career firefighter who was overweight  (almost 210 pounds).  I decided to take part in a national 911 Fitness Challenge.  I dropped 35 pounds (I'm still hovering around the 170's now) by getting on the treadmill.  At first I couldn't run half a mile without slowing to a walk, a sad realization for a firefighter.  At the end of the 12 week mark I was able to run about a 10-ish min/mile.  A co-worker convinced me to run a 5k.  After a few more weeks of running, I ran the whole race without slowing to a walk, I was stoked and also somehow convinced that I love to race.  A local triathlon was coming to my area, so I went to watch it... that was my goal -  to run that race the coming year (2008 I did it).  Last year was my breakout year for pushing myself harder than ever and finding that way to settle into the swim.  I ran 13 events and placed in several of those. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married for almost 5 years.  We have a 3 and a half year old and a 11 month old.  Both daughters.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm making my own plan, but right now I'm in a prep phase.  I have the basics mapped out through IM 70.3 Racine.

PAST RACES: See my log if you really want to see.

2010 RACES: I'm on the RACING GREYHOUNDS (Livonia, MI) team.  I plan to race my first HIM (Racine) and hope to qualify for Worlds.  I'd like to run a couple Oly's and there are a couple sprints that are just too much fun to miss out on!  So, not as many races as last year, but I'll add a few as they come around.  I'd like to run a full marathon this year and if training goes well, set a new 1/2 Mary PR (currently 1:37)

WEIGHTLOSS: I'd like to drop about 4% BF by Racine.

2009-12-19 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2568077

User image

Elite
Chicago
Welcome Suzy & Jeremy!

Jeremy: If you want to watch the entire 1 hour free off-season training clinic again you can view it here:

http://www.btoffseasonnewsletter.endurancesportsinstitute.com

Edited by Steve- 2009-12-19 5:51 PM
2009-12-19 10:01 PM

User image

New user

Boston, MA
NAME:  Rachelle Berry

STORY:  I played soccer for nine years. I've also been a distance runner since running cross country in high school. More recently have I been taking running more seriously. I have also recently been competing in longer races (two half marathons last year...a week apart...and a full marathon and a half this year). My husband started doing tri's this past year to lose weight. I had a lot on my plate this last year with moving to Boston, starting grad school, starting a new job, etc. that doing tri's myself just didn't fit my schedule. The 2010 season will be my first triathlon season, and I guess you could say I'm going all out by doing a HIM my first year. I am also dedicating all my races this season, road and tri, to my cousin who was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer this past July, and she is only 18 years old. I figure a HIM and the training that is involved is nothing in comparison to the pain that she endures daily.
Personally, I'm originally from the Milwaukee area, went to Ohio State for undergrad, and am currently at Boston University for grad school. I work as the athletic trainer for the BU women's ice hockey team.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, no kids...not until I'm done with grad school at the earliest.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just finished my last road race of the year. I have a 10K schedule for Jan. 1, but I've already been doing some swimming and biking.

2009 RACES:
  "Last Chance for Boston" Marathon, Maine Coast Harvard Pilgrim Half Marathon, Numerous 5K's and 4 milers.

2010 RACES:
  Timberman 70.3, I am also doing sprints and oly's leading up to the HIM, just don't have them scheduled yet

WEIGHTLOSS:  Maintain.

2009-12-19 11:14 PM

Steve, I would like to join your group. I am 30, very new to tri. I was motivated by an Ironman competition in 2004. I am very slow in all three sports. I have a bike, and have done one marathon, I could swim one mile, but again, I am very slow. I need a lot of advice on how to increase speed, nutrition. I need your help.
2009-12-20 12:18 AM
in reply to: #2569332

User image

Elite
Chicago
Welcome Rachelle!

deathbyzamboni87 - 2009-12-19 10:01 PM

NAME:  Rachelle Berry

STORY:  I played soccer for nine years. I've also been a distance runner since running cross country in high school. More recently have I been taking running more seriously. I have also recently been competing in longer races (two half marathons last year...a week apart...and a full marathon and a half this year). My husband started doing tri's this past year to lose weight. I had a lot on my plate this last year with moving to Boston, starting grad school, starting a new job, etc. that doing tri's myself just didn't fit my schedule. The 2010 season will be my first triathlon season, and I guess you could say I'm going all out by doing a HIM my first year. I am also dedicating all my races this season, road and tri, to my cousin who was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer this past July, and she is only 18 years old. I figure a HIM and the training that is involved is nothing in comparison to the pain that she endures daily.
Personally, I'm originally from the Milwaukee area, went to Ohio State for undergrad, and am currently at Boston University for grad school. I work as the athletic trainer for the BU women's ice hockey team.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, no kids...not until I'm done with grad school at the earliest.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just finished my last road race of the year. I have a 10K schedule for Jan. 1, but I've already been doing some swimming and biking.

2009 RACES:
  "Last Chance for Boston" Marathon, Maine Coast Harvard Pilgrim Half Marathon, Numerous 5K's and 4 milers.

2010 RACES:
  Timberman 70.3, I am also doing sprints and oly's leading up to the HIM, just don't have them scheduled yet

WEIGHTLOSS:  Maintain.

2009-12-20 12:19 AM
in reply to: #2569386

User image

Elite
Chicago
If you could take an opportunity to fill out the profile, it will help everyone in the group get to know you and your distance endurance goals in 2010.

Thanks so much.

shunshun - 2009-12-19 11:14 PM

Steve, I would like to join your group. I am 30, very new to tri. I was motivated by an Ironman competition in 2004. I am very slow in all three sports. I have a bike, and have done one marathon, I could swim one mile, but again, I am very slow. I need a lot of advice on how to increase speed, nutrition. I need your help.

2009-12-20 2:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Delaware
Name: Scott

Story: Fitness always came easy to me for years. Whilst I was in the army I played rugby for the Corps, and would always run for fun. I always wanted to do tri's but couldn't swim well enough. So I jockstraped for my wife instead. Have completed a few races, including Eagleman in 06 (DFL'd), but always wanted to do an IM. Went to Lou in 08, and missed the bike cutoff by 7mins. Showed me that if you live on the flat, you have to train on hills, and also you can't go out there with the cutoffs as your goal! Have done a few half marathons and one marathon.
 Currently working as a paramedic. Hoping that I can get some motivation from this group to get myself back on track.

Family Status: Married with three boys 15, 13 and 10. All do sports, so lots of time running around after them! Immigrated here 13 years ago from England, so only the youngest was born in the US. It's something he has over his older brothers-he can be President, they can't!

Current Training: None really. Have been going to the gym occasionally, looking to get things to be a bit more consistent, and hopefully be in half decent shape by March 1st, when I want to start a 30 week programme for Chesapeakeman.

2009 Races: None. After the IM I decided that I needed to spend some time just hanging with the family, as I work quite a lot.

2010 Races: Chesapeakeman

Weightloss: Well, this is where I need to work! Currently 265, hoping to be down to 200 by the race. 215 is probably more realistic. I know that it won't be easy, however I feel that nine months is enough time to drop it sensibly. Did Louisville at 235, and know that if I'd lost another 30 pounds, I might have been successful that day. I'm determined to be successful this time, and feel that getting my weight under control is an essential key to that.

Edited by scotmedic 2009-12-20 9:33 AM
2009-12-20 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Delaware
Steve, I watched your off-season video. As far as weights go, is it better to do all muscle groups in one go, three times a week, or split them up and do them on different days? I've pretty much decided that I should focus on biking, at least until I get some of the weight off, with some swimming thrown in as well. The three days a week with the weights would work well, as I can do a quick swim once I'm done.
2009-12-20 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2569580

User image

Elite
Chicago
scotmedic - 2009-12-20 9:32 AM

Steve, I watched your off-season video. As far as weights go, is it better to do all muscle groups in one go, three times a week, or split them up and do them on different days? I've pretty much decided that I should focus on biking, at least until I get some of the weight off, with some swimming thrown in as well. The three days a week with the weights would work well, as I can do a quick swim once I'm done.

I would recommend swimming BEFORE your do weights that day. You don't want to compromise your swim technique due to fatigued muscles.

Secondly, I would recommend to work major muscle groups and use multi joint movements (like I mentioned in my off season training clinic) and the major reason for this is to have it be time efficient but also increase the strength of the stabilizing muscles. The added benefit (and the answer to your question) is that you can work the entire body 2-3x/week in a relatively short amount of time (30-40min max). Remember, as triathletes we are not looking to increase muscle size but rather prevent muscle atrophy that comes with age as well as prevent injuries that we may incur through everyday life (lifting our children or groceries form the store were the examples I used in the clinic) that would sideline us from competing/training consistently in triathlon.

Additionally, if you haven't googled Seebohar, do so and pick up a nutrition book from him. He's great at helping people make good choices with food in order to loose weight while they are engaged in endurance sports.
2009-12-20 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Hi Steve, are you still taking mentees? Here's my story.NAME: Ann-Marie STORY: I've always been athletic and active, but in 2007 found that I had become complacent and out of shape. I started working out again and found myself in 2008 training for my first marathon. The fact that I even considered running a marathon was a huge surprise to me as I always thought of running as a necessary evil to stay in shape, but never actually enjoyed it. Much to my surprise, I came to really enjoy long, long runs. I completed my first marathon January 2009 (Disney), my second November 2009 and have my 3d planned for Feb. 2010. I am now looking forward to branching out to triathlons. I do have some background in cycling having completed a handful of centuries, but none within 10 yrs. I have not swum for exercise in a very, very long time; so I expect that to be my weak suit.FAMILY STATUS: Single - but I do have a big German Shepherd that keeps me company on short runs.CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I'm training for a half marathon in January and full in Feb. THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2 marathons, 2 halfs, 1 15k and a handful of 5ks.2010 RACES: half and full marathon, triathlons and fall marathon to be determined . WEIGHTLOSS: I've put on about 5 pounds recently, so I'd like to lose them again. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am very self motivated, but enjoy the camaraderie of group training. I also love to learn from those with more experience than I, so expect to learn a lot from this group!
2009-12-20 10:45 AM

New user

New Jersey
Hi, my name is Wayne and I would like to join too.

I have been cycling for several years. I started running during winters, because I can not take the cold on the bike. I then started doing bricks to transition in spring, which led to triathlons. 2009 was the first year I entered any events.

2009: 1 half and 1 full marathon, 3 sprints, and a half-distance.

2010: IM

2009-12-20 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2569642

User image

Elite
Chicago
yes, you can still join...and welcome !

amd723 - 2009-12-20 10:39 AM

Hi Steve, are you still taking mentees? Here's my story.NAME: Ann-Marie STORY: I've always been athletic and active, but in 2007 found that I had become complacent and out of shape. I started working out again and found myself in 2008 training for my first marathon. The fact that I even considered running a marathon was a huge surprise to me as I always thought of running as a necessary evil to stay in shape, but never actually enjoyed it. Much to my surprise, I came to really enjoy long, long runs. I completed my first marathon January 2009 (Disney), my second November 2009 and have my 3d planned for Feb. 2010. I am now looking forward to branching out to triathlons. I do have some background in cycling having completed a handful of centuries, but none within 10 yrs. I have not swum for exercise in a very, very long time; so I expect that to be my weak suit.FAMILY STATUS: Single - but I do have a big German Shepherd that keeps me company on short runs.CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I'm training for a half marathon in January and full in Feb. THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2 marathons, 2 halfs, 1 15k and a handful of 5ks.2010 RACES: half and full marathon, triathlons and fall marathon to be determined . WEIGHTLOSS: I've put on about 5 pounds recently, so I'd like to lose them again. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am very self motivated, but enjoy the camaraderie of group training. I also love to learn from those with more experience than I, so expect to learn a lot from this group!
2009-12-20 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2569656

User image

Elite
Chicago
Hi Wayne:

Welcome. It would be a great way for the group to get to know you if you had a second to fill out the "profile" that we all filled out about ourselves (i.e. family status, etc.)

insqy90a - 2009-12-20 10:45 AM

Hi, my name is Wayne and I would like to join too.

I have been cycling for several years. I started running during winters, because I can not take the cold on the bike. I then started doing bricks to transition in spring, which led to triathlons. 2009 was the first year I entered any events.

2009: 1 half and 1 full marathon, 3 sprints, and a half-distance.

2010: IM

2009-12-20 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Hey Steve....I would love to join the group as well.  I completed two HIM's last year and targeting 2 HIM's in 2010 probably Muncie and Rev3.  I can always use some more knowledge as I get into my 3rd full season of tri's and love having a group to motivate and get advice.

I will fill out a complete profile for everyone this afternoon but have to run out the door to finish up my christmas shopping (yeah i am that guy).  I saw the group was starting to fill up quick.  I look forward to being a part of the group.

Thanks...Ryan.

2009-12-20 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2569714

User image

Elite
Chicago
awesome! welcome to the group. we all look forward to seeing your profile and getting to know you better.

rymac - 2009-12-20 11:41 AM

Hey Steve....I would love to join the group as well.  I completed two HIM's last year and targeting 2 HIM's in 2010 probably Muncie and Rev3.  I can always use some more knowledge as I get into my 3rd full season of tri's and love having a group to motivate and get advice.

I will fill out a complete profile for everyone this afternoon but have to run out the door to finish up my christmas shopping (yeah i am that guy).  I saw the group was starting to fill up quick.  I look forward to being a part of the group.

Thanks...Ryan.

2009-12-20 1:27 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Subject: RE: Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - ALMOST FULL !
Hey Steve hope you still have  room I would like to sign up for your group also. This will be my second year in trng for tri. I did my first marathon last year never having ran a race before did a oly distance and then a HIM. Love all the trng and love to race. Going back to race the Gasparilla Marathon this year to kick its butt instead of what happened last year (it kicked my butt). Already signed up for IM Cozumel. Enjoy reading and learning about what works for others and putting it to the test. After my HIM I knew I was ready for the big show just wish I didnt have to wait so long. Doing some Xterra racing before my season kicks off this year. Last year did a little to much at once started to get a little cranky. Signed up for the long course distance Xterra Miami and have a half marathon (trail) in Jan. I will fill out the profile today.  

2009-12-20 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Steve,

Do you have room for one more?

I will post my profile later.

Thanks!
Lori
2009-12-20 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Paul, MN

Still Open?  I'd like to sign up if it is.

Story: Played hockey my whole life, ran XC for a few years in high school, decided I liked getting high better.  Got clean at a young age, but didn't quit smoking till my daughter was on her way, and went back to running to help me stay off cigarettes.   I've enjoyed reaching my running goals, and would like to try tri's to help me stay motivated.

Family Status: Married to Katie almost five years, DD Hazel is 2 1/2 going on 17, and we're expecting another in June.

CURRENT TRAINING:
Now, I play hockey year round, and run a fair amount.  My training log here isn't very big (I've been a running ahead person), but I've logged over 1500 miles running this year.  Starting to swim once or twice a week, and trying to get on the trainer at least once a week.  

2009 RACES: 2 marathons and half marathons, a few 5, 8, and 10ks, a trail race, a really fun One Mile in downtown Minneapolis, and a third overall in an indoor tri this month.

2010 RACES:  Cinco De Mayo 5k
                        TC One Mile in May
                        Maybe Lifetime Oly in July
                        Maybe Pigman Half in Aug
                        BQ attempt at Twin Cities Marathon in October. 
I'm not sure how the middle of the summer should be handled with a new little one on the way, but I think I'd like to get at least a couple non-goal tri's in before then.

WEIGHTLOSS: Don't gain non-muscle. 

2009-12-20 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2569953

User image

Elite
Chicago
*** MENTOR GROUP OFFICIALLY CLOSED. ***

There is one or two more people that may come into our group but they are not near a computer during the holidays but told me they'd like to join....so our group may grow to 14. Additionally, you all may have the benefit of 2 MENTORS; as a fellow coach that works with me may join us as a Mentor as well to provide you guys with that much more attention!

So Here's who we have in our Mentor Group:

1) eddievolley (aka Eddie)
2) ssminnow (aka Suzy Shain)
3) JHagerman (aka Jeremy Hagerman)
4) deathbyzamboni87 (aka Rachelle Berry)
5) shunshun
6) scotmedic (aka Scott)
7) amd723 (aka Ann-Marie)
8) insqy90a (aka Wayne)
9) rymac (aka Ryan)
10) fireman70
11) retiretotri (Lori)
12) DTraitor
13) knewbike

Ok. So let's get the boring housekeeping stuff out of the way first....Here is what you can expect from me as a mentor and here is what I expect from you as mentees (is that spelled right?)

WHAT I WILL COMMIT TO YOU

- I will commit to coming into this thread a minimum of 2-3x/week and helping you with your questions...most likely more, but min of 2-3x/week.

- I will not provide you with answers if I don't know them. I will tell you I don't know and help point you in the right direction of where to find people with the knowledge and credentials that do know. For those of you who know me....nothing frustrates me more than people who opine in areas in which they do not have the proper experience, knowledge, or credentials. I will not be this person. (ha ha ha)

- I'm here to help you in anyway I can reach your goals but unfortunately I don't sell motivation (but I'd be a rich man if I did) and as I stated in my original post, you will get the most out of this mentor group if you come with your own supply of motivation. However, with that said, we all have our down days/weeks and this group (including me) will hopefully provide you with a support structure to lift you up during those times and keep you on track to reach your goals.

WHAT YOU WILL COMMIT TO THE GROUP

- If you did not fill out a profile yet as outlined by Ron in the Mentor Group instructions, you will do so no later than Monday, December 21, 2009.

- You will get the most benefit from this group if you commit to coming a minimum of 2-3x/week and "check in". If you don't have any questions for me or are running on all cylinders with motivation and don't need energy from the group, be sure to just come into the group and check in on others and do your part helping keep others motivated that may need it. At a minimum, sound off on how your training is going for that given week so we at least know you're alive.

- You will log your training in the training log of BT so even though myself and the group may not be "checking" your training logs on a daily basis, it will be there for reference. If you have a question for me about training or about something your experiencing (an ache, lack of motivation, plateau in performance, etc) I have the ability to look through your logs for more insight.

- While this last point probably doesn't need to be said...You acknowledge that everyone is different and everyone's opinion has value and degradation has no place here.

Ok. So that's it. This group officially runs from now through the end of March 2009.

If I missed anything, let me know. This is the first "mentor group" on BT I have lead so suggestions from you as mentees is very welcome.

Oh, by the way, if you didn't see the previous post about this....check out the off season training clinic I gave. You might be able to garner a few nuggets of helpful hints.

You can access the video by going to this link:

http://www.endurancesportsinstitute.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51:clients&catid=1:public-access-articles&Itemid=62

or this link:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=157848632400&topic=10555

Edited by Steve- 2009-12-20 6:51 PM
2009-12-20 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2569846

User image

Elite
Chicago
retiretotri - 2009-12-20 1:35 PM

Steve,

Do you have room for one more?

I will post my profile later.

Thanks!
Lori

yes, welcome to our group. we look forward to reading your profile and learning more about you!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Steve-'s Distance Endurance Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21