Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Ontario Race Calendar Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-20 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: Ontario Race Calendar
Its mid-January and even though the 2010 triathlon season may feel painfully distant its never to early to start planning which races you're gonna do.

I'm sharing a simple calendar of races I am interested in (mostly HSBC, Subaru and SummerSault).
I'm using this calendar to plan out which weekends I can race since half my summer is already booked with family trips, kids camps, weddings, etc.
I suspect that you, my fellow Ontario BT'ers, will find it useful in planning your races as well... Smile

Edited by mgalanter 2010-01-20 7:53 AM

Attachments
----------------
2010 Multisport Southern Ontario Calendar.zip (20KB - 62 downloads)

2010-01-21 4:13 PM
in reply to: #2623544

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ontario Race Calendar
thanks for posting it
2010-01-21 9:11 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
I've been told the file won't work for some. Here is a PDF version.

Attachments
----------------
2010 Weekly Multisport Calendar.pdf (30KB - 75 downloads)
2010-01-24 6:12 PM

Veteran
Hello all,

I am a newbie who is looking to plan out the comming year. My main goal is to complete the 70.3 Muskoka in Sept. I am located in Petawawa Ontario and plan on doing the deepriver tri and barrys bay tri cause they are close. What other events are out there that anyone would suggest???? The ottawa 1/2 marathon is also on my radar but I am open to suggestion where I dont have a clue what is out there and what would be a good plan of attack. I am sure some people out there are thinking that the 70.3 is a bit much for the first year goal, but I have always sat back and watch the event and figure life is too short to sit by and watch any more. If there is anyone in the Pet/ Pembroke area looking for a training partner when the weather breaks that would be great as well.  I have over 18 years of competitive swimming and about 10 yrs of swim coaching under my belt if anyone wants to swap some biking/ running knowledge Thanks for any help/tips you can provide.
2010-01-24 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

You have set yourself a signficant challenge in signing up for a race like Muskoka without having done any triathlons. My suggestion is that you find a good training plan, or even a coach, work on a big base through the winter, and do minimal racing next summer. Maybe a couple of short races in the spring or early summer to give you a feel for the logistics of racing, transitions, etc., and then just stick to your training plan for the summer. Doing a lot of racing is just going to interupt your preparation for the 70.3 and might increase your chance of injury. I don't know what your running and biking background are, but if they are minimal you need to start slow and build your volume gradually.

2010-01-25 6:00 AM
in reply to: #2632127

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
bostonredsox - 2010-01-24 6:12 PM Hello all,

I am a newbie who is looking to plan out the comming year. My main goal is to complete the 70.3 Muskoka in Sept. I am located in Petawawa Ontario and plan on doing the deepriver tri and barrys bay tri cause they are close. What other events are out there that anyone would suggest???? The ottawa 1/2 marathon is also on my radar but I am open to suggestion where I dont have a clue what is out there and what would be a good plan of attack. I am sure some people out there are thinking that the 70.3 is a bit much for the first year goal, but I have always sat back and watch the event and figure life is too short to sit by and watch any more. If there is anyone in the Pet/ Pembroke area looking for a training partner when the weather breaks that would be great as well.  I have over 18 years of competitive swimming and about 10 yrs of swim coaching under my belt if anyone wants to swap some biking/ running knowledge Thanks for any help/tips you can provide.

Check out http://www.trirudy.com- it is a website/mailing list based out of the Ottawa area and I'm sure you'll have luck finding training partners on there if there isn't anyone here!

Some good races are Smith's Falls and Carleton Place - they are put on by Somersault promotions.  I've done both.  The swim in Smith's Falls is gross - but the race is well run and fun to do.  The Ottawa half-marathon is a great race.  I haven't done it since '03 but it was a flat fast course!

I will say that you probably want to race less if you're going to do a half.  Recovering after races takes some time and you'll need those training hours to get ready.

I just started back racing last year after a 5 year hiatus.  I did my first 1/2IM last year.  I knew it was a big jump considering my multisport training had been racing road races (running) and biking to work.  It's doable - you just need to stay focused and find a plan that works for you.  Especially with the swim background. (I'm also a swimmer - and it takes so much pressure off.)

Just to give you something else to think about - Ottawa has a 1/2 Ironman put on by Somersault.  I believe it's in the fall as well and it would be a flatter race.

2010-01-25 3:53 PM

Veteran
Thanks for the tips, we will see how it goes. I will definity look in to the flat ottawa half, lots of people are telling me I  am crazy for the muskoka goal but i figure,,,, the one after that,,, if Muskoka dont kill would be a little easier. Thanks again.
2010-02-02 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
THANKS!!!!
2010-05-02 7:07 PM

hey im new to tri's and im looking at doing 3 this season ive been training hard and am fairly fit. I was wondering if 3 is too many they would be on june 6, july 4,(both sprints) and aug 28 (olympic) is ther any input on recovery time in between? i did my first brick today with 30 km bike followed by a 7.5 km run i did it at a decent pace and im not feeling too bad given the circumstances. any input is welcomed thank you
2010-05-03 7:52 AM
in reply to: #2831891

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-03 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2831891

Veteran
Burlington
Nigelv - 2010-05-02 8:07 PM hey im new to tri's and im looking at doing 3 this season ive been training hard and am fairly fit. I was wondering if 3 is too many they would be on june 6, july 4,(both sprints) and aug 28 (olympic) is ther any input on recovery time in between? i did my first brick today with 30 km bike followed by a 7.5 km run i did it at a decent pace and im not feeling too bad given the circumstances. any input is welcomed thank you

3 seems about right and you've spaced them out nicely.  After a sprint 1-2 days of recovery and 1-2 days of easy workouts and you should be ready to get back at it.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Ontario Race Calendar Rss Feed