Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Steelhead, Muskoka, Ciderpoints or just forget it this year? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2010-02-03 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI
Subject: Steelhead, Muskoka, Ciderpoints or just forget it this year?
I ask the same question in the MI board but you guys might be able to give me more head up for Muskoka...

I was planning to do Steelhead this year and has been preparing since last year.  However, due to sickness, I have been out of commission for over a month.  I recently recovered but I find that I have loss almost all my fitness and I am starting from ground zero now...  According to the time line, Steelhead seems out of question.  This is my first 1/2 ironman, and this would be my planned A race this year.   

Would anyone suggest Ciderpoint or Muskoka as the first 1/2? Or stuck with Steelhead with limited training and lower my expectation?  I don't know about Ciderpoint but I heard Muskoka is very hard course...

2010-02-03 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2652059

Subject: RE: Steelhead, Muskoka, Ciderpoints or just forget it this year?
Steelhead is still 25 weeks away...should be plenty of time to train for an 'A' race.

Muskoka is very challenging and you need a lot of hill practise for it ... now knowing the course I would have biked and ran hills at least a couple times a week...and I mean hills not overpasses over the 401.

Steelhead and Cedarpoint I cannot give advice on but they seem "relatively" flat and would in my opinion be a better choice for your first HIM...but as DaveH says if you want an experience you won't soon forget do Muskoka the race is world class. Just be prepared to have your goal shot down
2010-02-03 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

Good advice from Jeff. You have lots of time to get ready for any of those races, and as long as your training goes well from this point the break in January could end up being a good thing. Muskoka is the best race of the 3 and Cedar Point probably the easiest. It depends on what your goals are for your first half. I'd probably do Cedar Point for my first, and save Muskoka, which is a world class race, for your second year.

2010-02-03 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2652141

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
ff_jeff - 2010-02-03 10:51 AM Steelhead is still 25 weeks away...should be plenty of time to train for an 'A' race. Muskoka is very challenging and you need a lot of hill practise for it ... now knowing the course I would have biked and ran hills at least a couple times a week...and I mean hills not overpasses over the 401. Steelhead and Cedarpoint I cannot give advice on but they seem "relatively" flat and would in my opinion be a better choice for your first HIM...but as DaveH says if you want an experience you won't soon forget do Muskoka the race is world class. Just be prepared to have your goal shot down

You could still do Steelhead.  I think there's plenty of time work up to it as Jeff said but it more depends on your goals.  If you're building fitness you may not be as fast as you want to be but if it's your first half then it's hard to say anyway.

I've only spectated at Muskoka - but signed up for this year - and it is a world-class event.  It's awesome to race the same course as Craig Alexander, Mirinda Carfrae, Richie Cunningham ... it's a hard course, there's no doubt so goals have to be tempered.  And it's a great area for a get away too.

Now Cedar Point is a whole new thing and would be a great destination for any family if you have it.
2010-02-03 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
You have lots of time to train - I didn't start my "training plan" until the end of March.  (I used an 18 week.)  I am planning on racing Welland which I will start my training plan at the beginning of March.

Steelhead is relatively flat and a great course - it was my first HIM.  I am scared of hills - which is why I probably will never do Muskoka.  Cedar Point will most likely be VERY flat.
2010-02-03 11:34 AM

Veteran
Most of the advice you have recieved up to this point made too much sence for me,,,, I am now registared for Muskoka and it will be my first HIM, I say go for it. What is the worst that can happen other then learning a valuable lesson on your climbing ability. I m going to see what happens and the second one (if I am still alive) will be flat and a great chance to imprve on my PB time...

2010-02-03 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario

I am planning on doing the Muskoka HIM myself and it will be my first.  There is also the HSBC HIM in Bracebridge.  It is in early August.  It is hilly but I dont think it is as bad as the Muskoka bike route.  Although someone who has actually done the race may be able to correct me if I am wrong.

2010-02-04 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2653124

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI
Thanks everyone for the advice.  I am more leaning toward steelhead for now but I will see after getting back on my feet. 

Silver_wlf - 2010-02-03 11:17 AM You have lots of time to train - I didn't start my "training plan" until the end of March.  (I used an 18 week.)  I am planning on racing Welland which I will start my training plan at the beginning of March.

Stef, do you mind showing me your 18week plan?  Most plan I seen is more than 5 months or over...

jspelay - 2010-02-03 4:19 PM

I am planning on doing the Muskoka HIM myself and it will be my first.  There is also the HSBC HIM in Bracebridge.  It is in early August.  It is hilly but I dont think it is as bad as the Muskoka bike route.  Although someone who has actually done the race may be able to correct me if I am wrong.

you have the link for the HSBC HIM?
2010-02-05 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2654517

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-02-05 11:29 AM

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
I am picking Cedar Point because it will be the flatest.
2010-02-05 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2654517

Master
Southern Ontario

Stef, do you mind showing me your 18week plan?  Most plan I seen is more than 5 months or over...

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/tno_HIM.asp

I am planning on substituting a "distance" running program for the "timed" runs this year.  I found that my running fitness wasn't where it needed to be.  However, I also had to do the last month of training in a pool due to injury - so this also would have impacted it.  But even my longest run before the race was only 15k - which wasn't far enough for me. 

Swimming-wise I did probably half of the swims (but I'm a swimmer).  I hit all the bike workouts and my ride in Steelhead was dead on what I had planned.  Average speed 30km/h.

2010-02-05 1:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

I have used the TNO program as well and found it to be a good, cheap (free) starting point

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Steelhead, Muskoka, Ciderpoints or just forget it this year? Rss Feed