BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-04-05 1:25 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by PennState 2010-04-07 5:56 AM

2010-04-06 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2769226

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - OPEN

PennState/Fred,

Name:  GRB1 / Greg

I would be interested in joining your group, that is if you can have room for another Big Ten guy, Go State, MSU! 

BIO:  Last year was my first year doing Triathlons.  I have biked on and off over the years and did some entry level road racing about 15-20 years ago.  That fitness has long since departed.  My job requires me to maintain fitness and I have kept in good overall shape over the years, but I have dropped about 20 pounds since starting triathlons.  I was in a mentor group last year and it really paid dividends. The group helps me to stay focused and accountable to others.

Family:  I am married with 2 boys, 5 and 7 years old.   I am an Active Duty Navy Officer and I am doing what is known as Geo Baching.  Meaning I am working 4, 10 hour, days a week in Great Lakes IL and spend the other 3 days at home in the Madison WI area with my family.  My job also dictates that I travel all around the Midwest.  As you can imagine this has some positives and negatives when it comes to training.  I can train as much as I want during the week, after work, but family commitments kick in on the weekends.  I have a great wife who understands my training needs and is really supportive.  This is important as I am training for IM Wisconsin this year and will require significant weekend training.

Current Training:  Have been around 7 hours a week, but I am getting ready to start ramping up the volume significantly. 

Prior Races:  1 sprint, 1 olympic, 1 HIM, all last year.

Planned races:  1 sprint, IM Racine 70.3 and Ironman Wisconsin.

I like that you have dealt with many of the same challenges, family, busy work life and training.  Hopefully I can pick up some of your success.

Greg

2010-04-06 10:09 PM
in reply to: #2772636

2010-04-06 10:17 PM

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
I would like to join the group.  I'll post a bio on myself tomorrow morning as I'm just doing a quick check prior to heading off to bed.

Kevin
2010-04-06 10:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Hi Fred,

I'd love to join your group if you have room. Here's my info:

Name: Margot/calimavs

BIO: I'm a 28 year old woman living in San Francisco. I've been an athlete all my life, was a rower in high school and college, and then had four very sedentary years during the end of college/grad school where I didn't work out and picked up a lot of weight. In 2006 after moving to San Francisco I started to focus on losing weight and getting back into shape. I got into tri's last year and did three sprints and a 10k running race. This year I ran a half marathon in February and am training for an Oly in May and a HIM in July. I'm not fast but I love the tri lifestyle and am now very active with the Golden Gate Triathlon Club here in SF.

FAMILY STATUS: Sort of newly married (1.5 years), no kids

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been training about 7 hours a week with a group who is training together to prep for the Wildflower Oly. I expect training to pick up from there as I build towards the HIM.

PRIOR RACES: 
Tiburon Sprint, Chicago Sprint, See Jane Tri Sprint, North Face Endurance Challenge 10K

RACES 2010: Kaiser Half Marathon, Wildflower Oly, Vineman Ironman 70.3, North Face Endurance Challenge Trail Marathon

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I've lost 55 pounds in the last 3 years and am working on losing the last 10-15 which are coming off very slowly. I'm pretty happy with the weight I am now though.

I've been part of a mentor group twice before and I would love to be in this group tailored towards the longer distances since the half ironman is really my main focus this year.

Thanks!

Edited by calimavs 2010-04-06 10:28 PM
2010-04-06 10:29 PM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I would like to join the group!

Fred, we did IMLP 2008 together (except that I was probably on course for a while longer!

My name is Ken, I am 45 and 4 years off the couch.  I have lost +/- 90 pounds and since then I have enjoyed doing marathons, IM's, HIM's, and a lot of running races of all distances.  My goal for 2010 is to actually race the longer distances. 

My races for this year are:

June: Keuka Olympic
July: Musselman HIM
November: IMFL

Plus some charity bike rides, 5 and 10K road races just to keep training interesting!!!

I am married to a very supportive wife for the last 14 years, plus I have a 20 year old daughter and 22 year old son.  My family have been very supportive (and probably entertained by) my new found love of fitness. 

My goal this year is to learn to race the longer distances and be comfortable being uncomfortable.  Although I have led mentor groups the last 2 years, I have plenty to learn.  Fred, I have respected your opinions on many different subjects here on BT.  I think this group would be a great oportunity for me.

2010-04-06 11:25 PM

Master
Redlands, CA
I'd like to join, this group seems like a good fit for me.

Name: Chris

BIO:  Last year was my first year doing tri's.  I've been cycling for 6 years, running for 20, Did 2 sprints, got the bug, and on a whim signed up for IMSG.  I heard IMs all sold out so quick it was impossible to register, and the day it was announced I signed up.

After that I really focused on my swimming, I got to a point where I could go 2 miles nonstop but really haven't improved my speed at all.  I'm around 2:05/100, have been for awhile.

Things were going really good prepping for it; a few 15 milers, a few rides of 70+ miles, then one day while on a run in 115 degree heat something 'popped' in my leg.  I ignored it, and kept training until I got a partial achilles tear in October.  I was out for 8 weeks, nothing but swimming, I couldn't even walk for 2 weeks.

When I came back in January, I knew I had a short window, training went well but my volume never really got to an IM level.  In late February I tweaked my achilles again spinning (yes, spin class).  I told my wife that I was done, and didn't train for 2 weeks. 

After that period, I stopped my self loathing and started training again.  I've never quit anything in my life and I may DNF, but I will show.  Somehow, I don't think that will happen though.  

Amazingly, I feel really strong right now and I think the reinjury wasn't as bad as I thought.  I still have to stretch my achilles every few miles on runs but I'm fairly certain it will hold up.  My IM training really is to just finish, which is vastly different from the days I thought KQ'ing may be possible (probably was a pipe dream).  My focus is more on endurance so my body can hold up for what may be a long day.  I may even have to walk alot to achieve this.

Family:  I'm married with 2 dogs.  I like to call them my kids, mainly to antagonize my friends with kids.  One of them is my running partner but for some reason lately he hasn't wanted to run.

Current Training:  (see bio) About 8-10 hours a week;  I may ramp it up some next week but not much.  My main focus is to show up to my IM with a strong achilles.

Weight Loss:  I've lost about 15 lbs since IMSG, probably have about 5-10 to go but I'm not going to force it at this point.  I'm a horrifically bad binge eater and would probably be 300 lbs if I didn't exercise.  I've been known to eat a whole gallon of ice cream, or family size bag of chips in one sitting.  I've been alot better about that lately.

Prior Races:  2 sprints.  Several running and cycling races through the years.

Planned races:  1 Oly (in 2 weeks), and Ironman St George in 4.  After that I'm giving my body a rest, and going to focus on short stuff for a year or 2 to get my speed up.

Edited by furiousferret 2010-04-06 11:30 PM
2010-04-07 12:12 AM

Master
Chicago
First time IM/HIM... sounds like I fit here.

Name: Debb

BIO: I'm 36 years old... work from home Artist. I normally do art shows / online sales. I come from a non-sports background. 2007 I was an inactive couch potato basically who needed to lose a lot of weight, and I mean a lot! I have worked my way up to training for my first HIM (July) and IM (IMOO in September) I'm sort of the underdog, but I'm OK with that. I probably should have waited another season or two and lost all my weight first, but I like to be really challenged. Helps keep me motivated.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, no kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: Working with a training group specifically for IMOO. We meet twice a week. One Swim and one Bike/Run class a week. We started training in February... mostly base kinda stuff we're just starting to slowly build up now. Averaging 2-3 hours a day or about 1000 mins a week most of the time, but that includes walking as well.

PRIOR RACES: Danskin Sprint 2008, Chicago Tri Oly 2008, Chicago Tri Oly 2009, HC-15k 2009.

RACES 2010: Door County HIM, Ironman Wisconsin.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: Okay, so I mentioned that I lost a lot of weight. I've lost as much as 120lbs, although at the moment it's more like 115. I need to lose give/take 35 more, which I'm hoping will happen before September. Mostly been playing with the same 5-10 lbs for the last 4 months, but really need to get serious again. I need to be able to get my butt up those relentless IMOO hills!

Anyway, I'd like to join.

Edited by IdealMuse 2010-04-07 12:13 AM
2010-04-07 12:36 AM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Fred,

I am attempting my first HIM this summer and would very much like to join your group.

Name: Kathleen/Kath2163

BIO: I am entering my third year of triathlon with my focus on completing my first HIM.  I started out in this sport intending to do one race but as happens to most of us, I got hooked.  I have trained with a group of women over the past two years but my interest in longer distance races has separated me from the pack and I do almost all of my training alone. I recently joined a tri club for some support and group rides but we haven't had any formalized trainings yet as the weather here in CO constantly changes in March and April. I also have a coach who writes a plan for me. While I like having the structure, I don't receive any feed back or "how did the race go"(he strictly writes the plan.. nothing more) which is something that is important to me.  I am signed up for the Boulder 70.3 race and am extremely nervous about it. To be honest I get nervous about any race, even when they are months away.  I have never raced in Boulder and the intimidation factor of being amongst elite and professional athletes add to the nerves.  I am not fast by any means and my true weakness is my running. I did complete my first half marathon in January and ran the whole thing. My training plan has been very run focused up to this point but will be more tri focused starting next month. Nutrition planning for a HIM is a big concern for me and I could really use some guidance in that area. I work as a case manager for people with disabilities so it is in my nature to help  and support others which I would enjoy doing here. I have started a blog and have enjoyed meeting other triathletes through that.  Finally  I have been playing with the idea of purchasing a tri bike and test rode one for the first time yesterday. Very fun!

FAMILY STATUS:  Well... we hold ourselves out as married but don't have the paper to prove it. Maybe someday.. kind of a joke since I am turning 47 in a couple of weeks. Yikes!

CURRENT TRAINING:  I train between seven and 10 hours a week if I am sticking to the plan.

PRIOR RACES: 
I did five sprints my first year and numerous sprints and two Olympic distance races last year.

RACES 2010: Boulder tri series (5430 sprint,  Boulder Peak Triathlon and Boulder 70.3).  I am also signed up to do the Irongirl sprint with my friends.  I  have a half marathon coming up this weekend but I think I am in denial about it

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I don't have any weight loss goals at this time. However, I was a heavy throughout my childhood and teen years and have battled with weight issues all of my life. I can completely relate to those who are dealing with weight concerns. I have been there.

Thanks,

Kathleen

2010-04-07 12:45 AM

Expert
Thornton, CO
ETA: Oh yeah... and my name is Pete.

Bio:  My first Tri was in 2003, I smoke cigarettes on the way there and 5 minutes after it.  After smoking for 7 years I quit (October 2008) and decided to go after something I said wanted to do 15 years ago, do an Ironman.  I'm 29, injury free (no history of injuries either)  Looking to get myself into the FOP more consistently, I seem to be on that border of MOP and FOP.  I'm a software engineer, so I hang out in a cubical, but have a fairly flexible work schedule  as my work gets done and I'm there during the majority of the typical corporate work hours, but even 2 hour lunches are ok sometimes.

Family:  Single, live alone, own my house, HOA bugs me about my lawn not being mowed enough, most family is back east, but my brother lives an hour away in Keystone and is mainly a mountain biker.  Because he lives at 9k ft, I luckily have an awesome high altitude training location for on the weekends.  He has me trying out some mountain biking this year as well since my fitness is finally up to par after quitting smoking.

Last Years Performance/Training: Because of the 7 years of smoking I spent 4 months just swimming (November-Feburary) to build back my cardio a little.  Then did 4 months biking 5 days a week and swimming 2 days (March-June) to get my legs in shape and avoid the impact of running and the risk of injury.  Then finally started adding running 3 days a week for 2 months (July-August).  I did a HIM in September in 5:39 with my limiting factor (besides experience) being my run split of 2:16.  A month later I did a 1:43 stand alone half marathon in a last minute decision because I happen to be in the area, so I registered 5 days before the race.

Current Training:  Winter was dedicated to running because of such a horrible HIM run split last year.  The weather has finally started to be warmer, so I've been getting out on the bike more and focusing on hill climbing because of how quickly that kicked my butt into shape last year... and well, it's Colorado, you can always find someone to climb hills with around here.

Prior Races: Besides the HIM and half mary last year I did a couple of sprints.  From October until now I'm done a number of 5k running races, steadily watching my time drop (Could probably do a low 20 now, last one was 21:04 and I was still coughing flem up from being sick 3 days before).  Did my first Marathon in Sedona in February, "took it easy" and did a 4:02 on a course with 1800 ft of climbing.  Felt awesome at mile 20 and picked up the pace, until the last 5.2miles was done in 26 minutes (my most recent 5k time then was a 23).  Ended up hiking in Sedona the following two days.  It was really just a training run for my next big race... my first ultra marathon... which I did 48miles in 14 hours, but was still able to get back to training with only one day off after it.

2010 Races:  A priority races: Ironman Arizona (November 22nd) [Goal = sub 11hours, get as close to 10 flat as possible] & Marine Corp Marathon (October 31st) [Goal = Boston Qualify]
B Priority Races: San Diego Marathon (June) Boulder 70.3 (August), Harvest Moon HIM (September).
Plus there's some 'fun' races that I'll train right though... including another marathon, some mountain bike races, some sprint tris, an xterra, etc.

Weight Loss Goals: Never cared about weight... It's all about body fat percentage.  I'm currently 5'8", 160lbs and around 12% body fat.  October '08 I was measured at 170lbs with 24% body fat.  During the year I went up as high as 185lbs as muscle was building even though the pants got looser.  I'd like to get back to single digit body fat like I was in high school, but I figure it's a bi-product of training and it'll come with time.

Why I want to be part of the group:  I consider myself to still be "building a base", even though it's been over a year.  I figure it's better to build the base correctly now instead of having to try to redo part of it because I pushed too hard too early.  I'm hoping to learn from the group things that will help me do well in my first IM and hopefully because of that let me learn more about myself than I otherwise would have during the race so I can be better prepared for next year.  I'm actually pretty good with transitions based on past races, have a lot of past running experience, current running experience, and love hills (both on the bike and running).  Hopefully I have some useful information in my head that I can share with others on these things.  Motivation is definitely not lacking, but like everyone there are those days were you wonder why you're doing this and you have to force yourself out that door.

Edited by zionvier 2010-04-07 12:46 AM
2010-04-07 12:52 AM
in reply to: #2772993

Expert
Thornton, CO
Hey Kathleen,  I'm signed up for the Boulder Tri Series as well.  I'll also be doing the Platte River Half Mary on Sunday too.  I figure that's got to be the one you're talking about this weekend right?

2010-04-07 3:00 AM

Expert
Name: Todd or phxphotog (Phoenix Photographer).

Bio: I'm a tv cameraman at the CNN affiliate in Phoenix, AZ. Just got into triathlon in January when some friends asked if I wanted to do one in Rocky Point, Mexico. They are pretty competitive people and I didn't want to compete with them but I did want to have a goal to workout towards. It has been great and I have lost over 15 pounds since early January. I have a wife who is a school teacher and she is training for her first 5k. We train together a couple times a week and we enjoy that a lot.

Current Training: I'm trying to get in about 8 hours a week right now on a couch to Oly training program. Not really looking at a strict S/B/R division on the workout, just whatever I feel like doing or that I need to work on. It has been working pretty well for me so far. My run is the weakest of the three, so I'm going to hit it hard before my 1st Oly in 3 weeks.

Prior Races: Southwest Valley YMCA Sprint Triathlon (Goodyear, AZ) 400m swim, 12 mile bike, 3.1 mile run. Finished in 1:31:53. Not good but a baseline to work off of. This was my 1st triathlon.

2010 Races: Las Palomas Oly triathlon (Rocky Point, Mexico) April 24th
                   Tempe Int'l Sprint Triathlon (Tempe, AZ) May 16th
                   SOMA 1/2 IM (Tempe, AZ) Oct 24th
                   PF Changs Rock N Roll Marathon Jan 16th, 2011

Weight Loss Goals: Started at 216.5 and I am at 201.5 right now. I would like to get to 195 by my 1st Oly in 3 weeks. My ultimate goal would to be around 180 by my 1st 1/2 IM in Oct. I think being 6'1" that 180 would be  good goal weight to be at.

Why me?: I think this would be a good group because I'm also working toward my 1st 1/2 IM. Don't know if I'll ever do a full IM but I think the 1/2 will suit me well. At first I want to just finish my races and get a good baseline time to work toward improving. I think with the help and encouragement of others I can learn and motivate others to achieve their goals. I'm always looking for fun and exciting ways to keep motivated and I think this group can bring this to me.

2010-04-07 5:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
I'm just on my way to work, but I'll post a bio later today.  I sound similar to you in the weight category... was 200 and am now about 180, on my way to 165-170.  I will be doing my first HIM this summer.  More to come.
2010-04-07 5:39 AM

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Fred,

Croixfan (Curt Stowers) here.  I'd love to join the group -- as an Illini alum would help with the Big Ten theme.  I'll post a full bio later today.  Basically you're dealing with a total noobie.  Just started getting serious a couple of weeks back and logging efforts.  Goal is to compete in a sprint triathlon with my son in late July.

More to follow.

Curt
2010-04-07 6:07 AM

Edited by PennState 2010-04-07 6:08 AM
2010-04-07 6:31 AM
in reply to: #2772636

2010-04-07 6:34 AM
in reply to: #2772852

2010-04-07 6:40 AM
in reply to: #2772867

2010-04-07 6:45 AM
in reply to: #2772871

2010-04-07 6:47 AM

2010-04-07 7:54 AM

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
I hope I can come it, this would be GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

2010-04-07 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2772998

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Hi Pete,
Yep, it is the Platte River race.  Good luck this weekend. I don't feel ready for this race but as long as I finish under the time limit I will be ok with that (well maybe not as I finished a half marathon in January so I have something to compare it to in terms of times). 
Have you done the Boulder series before?  I hear the Boulder Peak course has a huge climb in it.
2010-04-07 9:39 AM

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Fred,

I must have missed your comment in your opening post about somewhat tailoring your group to longer distances, HIM and full IM.  At my current experience level, I am more interested in sprints and possibly olympic distances.  I'm going to go ahead and drop out from your group, opening up a spot for someone interested in the longer distances.  I wish everyone here well in their training.  I too hope one day to compete at the longer distances.

Thanks,
Kevin
2010-04-07 10:57 AM

Expert
Fred,

Id love to join the mentor goup! I have talked a bit in the LP forum and will be racing there this year. Is it too late to join this group>?
2010-04-07 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2773942

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121