General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition - Keep it Simple Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-07-27 5:50 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: Transition - Keep it Simple
Often at races I see athletes who bring way too much into transition and as a result are disorganized with their gear ends up spilling into other athletes' transition spots.  When setting up transition, you should ask yourself what do I really need and what can I do without.

The key to efficient transitions is to keep everything simple and minimize clutter; the picture shows my transition setup for an OD triathlon:

Here is what I have in transition:

Bike - my shoes are clipped in, helmet is on the handlebars with my sunglasses inside my helmet

Run - running shoes are sitting on top of my hat and my race belt with number is folded up inside my hat

Also, you can see that there is plenty of room for my cap, goggles and wetsuit so I don't have to wonder what to do with those after the swim leg.

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2010-07-27 5:52 AM

2010-07-27 6:07 AM
in reply to: #3006561

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: Transition - Keep it Simple
Thanks for sharing the picture, getting ready for my first one in 2 weeks and trying to visualize transition setup.  Thanks again!
2010-07-27 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3006572

User image

On your right
dandr614 - 2010-07-27 7:07 AM Thanks for sharing the picture, getting ready for my first one in 2 weeks and trying to visualize transition setup.  Thanks again!

IF you're going to copy this setup, PRACTICE your bike mounting with the shoes clipped in.  Not something you want to try for the first time during your first race.

Shane, where's your bucket to sit on, and your other bucket to wash your feet off, and your towel to dry your feet, the balloon to mark your spot, the bright towel to mark your spot in case the balloon pops, your pile of gu's to have during transition, and the pile of socks and other random clothes in case you want to make some outfit changes so you always have matching shoes/shirts/shorts? 
2010-07-27 7:27 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Nice demo Shane.

Which begs the next question: why would one need a $150 transition bag to transport this little equipment?
2010-07-27 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3006674

User image

On your right
the bear - 2010-07-27 8:27 AM Nice demo Shane.

Which begs the next question: why would one need a $150 transition bag to transport this little equipment?

Because it's all about looking like you've got so much experience and tri-loot that you need a specific bag to carry it all.  It's way more important to look impressive than to be fast.  DUH. 

My 'transition' bag is a rolling backpack that I got for free at a conference.  It also is my daily gym bag and I use it for races because it's got my goggles in it already, so there's 1 less thing to remember on race day.
2010-07-27 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3006644

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Chaderbox - 2010-07-27 8:10 AM [

IF you're going to copy this setup, PRACTICE your bike mounting with the shoes clipped in.  Not something you want to try for the first time during your first race.

Definitely will, thanks for the heads up

2010-07-27 7:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA

similar to my set up, only I have never had that much room at a race.  even at Meat Pie where they had sweet racks with spots for your bags, someone took up both sides of the stuff boxes so I had no room.  LOL

2010-07-27 7:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Believe it or not, here in the New England area, there are a few tri's (eg. Cohasset,MA and Duxbury,MA) in which there is limited parking or you  have to shuttle your gear to the tranisition area. No immediate parking. Therefore, I think a bag or some sort is necessary at times. Its easier than trying to put on your cycle shoes, carry your running shoes, while wearing your helmet and slinging your wetsuit over the top tube of your bike, all while picking up a reg. package bag, getting numbered and trying to find the porta-potty.

The other thing is I also agree that having a ballon to mark your transition site is a little overkill, but an obnoxious colored throw towel hanging over your bike seat is a great idea.  I believe one of the women's only tri's here in the area is registering over 2,000 racers in one location, so why not have some sort of visual advantage.

My next question is what do those of you do who transition from a sandy beach area right into the bike transition when there is no grassy area to run through or such?  Do you hope right onto the bike with sandy feet and hope that you can take the pain of the grinding and digging of sand into your skin?

Personally, for me its work having a small liter bottle of water to do a quick splash off of sand.  The last tri I did, I witnessed a lady who finished the run, took off her shoes and proceeded to  arch in pain because the side of her foot was grinded down due to sand. Not to mention the discomfort of diggging the sand out of an open wound.  No thanks for me. 

I think practicing your transition movements prior to a race is a great idea.  I can splash water to rid sand/dirt, roll socks on, and exit T1 just as fast as my fellow competitors, but you have to know the tricks and shortcuts to make it work.

Just food for thought.
Have fun ya'll!!

2010-07-27 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3006723

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
tigers75 - 2010-07-27 9:56 AM

Believe it or not, here in the New England area, there are a few tri's (eg. Cohasset,MA and Duxbury,MA) in which there is limited parking or you  have to shuttle your gear to the tranisition area. No immediate parking. Therefore, I think a bag or some sort is necessary at times. Its easier than trying to put on your cycle shoes, carry your running shoes, while wearing your helmet and slinging your wetsuit over the top tube of your bike, all while picking up a reg. package bag, getting numbered and trying to find the porta-potty.

If you look against the fence you will see my backpack (free from my triclub) as we had to ride to the race in Gatineau from the University of Ottawa (about 8km).  However, just about any backpack will do and before I got this one, I had a cheap backpack I still had from university.

My next question is what do those of you do who transition from a sandy beach area right into the bike transition when there is no grassy area to run through or such?  Do you hope right onto the bike with sandy feet and hope that you can take the pain of the grinding and digging of sand into your skin?

I don't worry about rinsing or wiping my feet; just run with the bike, jump on and go.

Shane

2010-07-27 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Husk, NC
While this setup looks good, I question how practical it really is.  As someone else mentioned, you do not want to put your sand/dirt covered feet into your cycling shoes.  I use a pre-wetted wash cloth to remove sand/dirt.  Also, most races do not allow you to have your bike shoes clipped to the bike.  You are required to mount with your shoes already on.  Just my 2 cents.
2010-07-27 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3006723

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
tigers75 - 2010-07-27 8:56 AM

The other thing is I also agree that having a ballon to mark your transition site is a little overkill, but an obnoxious colored throw towel hanging over your bike seat is a great idea.  I believe one of the women's only tri's here in the area is registering over 2,000 racers in one location, so why not have some sort of visual advantage.

Personally, for me its work having a small liter bottle of water to do a quick splash off of sand.  The last tri I did, I witnessed a lady who finished the run, took off her shoes and proceeded to  arch in pain because the side of her foot was grinded down due to sand. Not to mention the discomfort of diggging the sand out of an open wound.  No thanks for me. 

I think practicing your transition movements prior to a race is a great idea.  I can splash water to rid sand/dirt, roll socks on, and exit T1 just as fast as my fellow competitors, but you have to know the tricks and shortcuts to make it work.

Just food for thought.
Have fun ya'll!!

that's what I do too.  I keep a spare water bottle to quickly drive off the sand.  Being BOP, I don't worry overly about losing an extra 10 seconds to do so, and I know that I can make up that time by not having to slow down and deal with sandpaper in my shoes. I also use a backpack to carry everything down from the parking that I got free at a race last year. Before that, I used one of my old day packs.  All I carry is the helmet, bike shoes, goggles and swim cap, and race belt. The bike has the water bottles on it., and I wear the running shoes from the car to the transition area to set up.

The other transition area that people should remember to think about is the car at the end of the race. It is very nice to get back to your car, and have a fresh change of clothes and shoes to wear for the drive or ride home.  I keep a blanket and towel in the car.  The blanket to stand on in case there is gravel in the parking area (which usually seems to be the case) and the towel to dry off.  I sometimes keep an extra water bottle or two for another quick rinse off before getting changed.  I may smell bad, but having clean, dry cotton clothing and fresh shoes and socks on makes a big difference in how I feel.

2010-07-27 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3006674

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
the bear - 2010-07-27 8:27 AM

Nice demo Shane.

I have a similar setup as this and I have a Rocket bag to carry it all. Why? Because while my transition setup may be simple, I have extra gear in my bag for the "what ifs". Also, a nice bag helps me to keep stuff organized and stored. Do you need an expensive bag? no. Is it a "nice have"? Absolutely.
2010-07-27 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3006766

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Maybe "most" of you races prohibit shoes on the bike but absolutely NONE of the races I do ( and that's all of the local races) have any such prohibition.
2010-07-27 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
bighorsecreek - 2010-07-27 9:17 AM Also, most races do not allow you to have your bike shoes clipped to the bike.  You are required to mount with your shoes already on.  Just my 2 cents.

Why would this be a rule? It's much faster to have your shoes clipped in and just hop on. I'd think it would be more dangerous running in bike shoes. I've only done two tris so far, and gone with the shoes clipped in both times. I bet it saves me a good 20 seconds at T1 - just put on the sunglasses, helmet, grab the bike and go.

It's advisable to practice a running mount though. I did that for a good hour in a school parking lot before trying it in my first race.

I also use a 15+ year-old North Face backpack that has traveled around the world with me for my transition bag. Fits everything, including my wetsuit and towel, with the helmet strapped to the outside.

Edited by natethomas2000 2010-07-27 8:49 AM
2010-07-27 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3006677

User image

Master
Baltimore
Chaderbox - 2010-07-27 8:32 AM
the bear - 2010-07-27 8:27 AM Nice demo Shane.

Because it's all about looking like you've got so much experience and tri-loot that you need a specific bag to carry it all.  It's way more important to look impressive than to be fast.  DUH. 

My 'transition' bag is a rolling backpack that I got for free at a conference.  It also is my daily gym bag and I use it for races because it's got my goggles in it already, so there's 1 less thing to remember on race day.

Same reason someone buys a $3000 tri bike - they want one.  I paid (WHAT?!?!?) $50 for my tri bag!  Maybe if I went to ST with my tri bag I'd get judged cause its not the top of the line bag (though I doubt it).  I come here and I get judged/ridiculed because it wasn't free...love it.  Its a great bag.  I frequently have enough stuff to fill it up (all my swimming and running gear and clothes, extra clothes, toiletries/shower stuff, water and food today) and it been well worth the $50.  It may only last 3 years before straps/seams rip, then I may (GASP) BUY another...maybe even (SAY IT AIN'T SO!) a $150 one if it seems like it'll last a lot longer.  Apparently, this makes me a tool though.

Otherwise, good stuff.  I'd probably have a towel down, just in case, but it doesn't get in the way.  As I've gotten more comfortable and more experience, I learned what I do and don't need in transition and my area has gotten cleaner.  I still bring a ton though, I'd rather pack everything just in case than show up and realize you really wanted that extra Gu or arm warmers or something (though I put what I don't need back in the car).  For the ocean swims I've done (both in New England coincidentally), they've had kiddie pools just before transition to jump in/out to clean the beach sand off, works really well.
2010-07-27 8:55 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
bighorsecreek - 2010-07-27 8:17 AM While this setup looks good, I question how practical it really is.  As someone else mentioned, you do not want to put your sand/dirt covered feet into your cycling shoes.  I use a pre-wetted wash cloth to remove sand/dirt.  Also, most races do not allow you to have your bike shoes clipped to the bike.  You are required to mount with your shoes already on.  Just my 2 cents.

You may not, but I don't care.  I hose my tri shoes out after races and then set them on the shoe rack to dry until my next race.  By the time I get to the run the sand has already dried and flakes off into the bike shoes.

2010-07-27 8:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I have heard of very few races that don't allow shoes to be clipped in.

To the OP. Beautiful setup. I thought mine was clean, but that is amazing.

The only question I have is, What did you do with the bucket? 
2010-07-27 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3006846

User image

Davenport, IA
natethomas2000 - 2010-07-27 8:47 AM
bighorsecreek - 2010-07-27 9:17 AM Also, most races do not allow you to have your bike shoes clipped to the bike.  You are required to mount with your shoes already on.  Just my 2 cents.

Why would this be a rule? It's much faster to have your shoes clipped in and just hop on. I'd think it would be more dangerous running in bike shoes. I've only done two tris so far, and gone with the shoes clipped in both times. I bet it saves me a good 20 seconds at T1 - just put on the sunglasses, helmet, grab the bike and go.

It's advisable to practice a running mount though. I did that for a good hour in a school parking lot before trying it in my first race.

I also use a 15+ year-old North Face backpack that has traveled around the world with me for my transition bag. Fits everything, including my wetsuit and towel, with the helmet strapped to the outside.

Because, as you've said, "It's advisable to practice a running mount..." Many people don't, they just try it for the first time at the race.  I guarantee you if I would have tried that for the first time at a race I would have crashed.  I can't consistently jump high enough to clear my seat.
2010-07-27 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
PERFECT SETUP!  Less = More! 
2010-07-27 9:22 AM

Champion
South Jersey

I have a similar set up, only I don't clip my cycling shoes in so I have those sitting on the ground too. I also have the shoes sitting on a towel (folded so as to not take up any more space than the shoes do).

Is that your backpack off in the back? That's the toughest part -- most of the time we need to keep our backpacks right there with our bike.

2010-07-27 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
HIM Boise follows a "clean transition" rule for T1 and T2 - everything in the bag, nothing on the bike or on the ground. You tie your bag hanging from the bar next to your bike. Only the pros are allowed to leave shoes clipped in on the bike and the helmet on the bike. Same for IMLP.

I hate the feeling of "what am I forgetting???" and my current approach to avoiding that is to store everything in my shoes that fits. This actually works quite well for me. I stuff into one bike shoe the sock, the Garmin + strap + race belt with number, the other shoe gets it's sock plus the sunglasses (in their case), the helmet goes on top. I run into transition, yank out the helmet and put it on, put on the race number, put on the strap and Garmin, put on the sock & shoe, put on the sunglasses, put on the sock & shoe, shove in my wetsuit, tie, and go. Nothing forgotten because I can't put on my shoe if stuff is in it.

This worked quite well for me Sunday at IMLP. Nothing forgotten, smooth no-worries transition.

Edited by brucemorgan 2010-07-27 9:29 AM

2010-07-27 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg
bighorsecreek - 2010-07-27 9:17 AM While this setup looks good, I question how practical it really is.  As someone else mentioned, you do not want to put your sand/dirt covered feet into your cycling shoes.  I use a pre-wetted wash cloth to remove sand/dirt.  Also, most races do not allow you to have your bike shoes clipped to the bike.  You are required to mount with your shoes already on.  Just my 2 cents.

In all of the hundreds of races I've done (since 1985), the only ones that didn't allow you to have your shoes on the bike were Ironman.  And when I did Louisville we could have our shoes clipped on to the pedals.  Where do you race? Maybe its different in the North.  I've only raced in CA, LA, MS, TX, AL, NC, FL and OK.

Put a small towel down to step on, put a little baby powder in your cycling shoes and all the dirt will filter off your feet.

Edited by gts 2010-07-27 10:07 AM
2010-07-27 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Good photo.

I don't clip my shoes in.  So, I've got 2 pr. sitting there, and I sit them on a towel (folded).

It amazes me that I spend the amt of time I do in T1.  I've been in the top 20 (or so) in both my tris in transitions (even putting on socks).  But, I can't fathom I'm spending as much time, there, as the clock says I am.
2010-07-27 10:18 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
bighorsecreek - 2010-07-27 9:17 AM While this setup looks good, I question how practical it really is.  As someone else mentioned, you do not want to put your sand/dirt covered feet into your cycling shoes.  I use a pre-wetted wash cloth to remove sand/dirt.  Also, most races do not allow you to have your bike shoes clipped to the bike.  You are required to mount with your shoes already on.  Just my 2 cents.

I've done 5 races with the same setup, except bike shoes on the ground and asthma inhaler inside my sneaker for a quick hit in T2.  With runs through sand, dirt, gravel, grass.  This is as practical as it gets!
2010-07-27 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3007084

User image

Veteran
Husk, NC

In all of the hundreds of races I've done (since 1985), the only ones that didn't allow you to have your shoes on the bike were Ironman.  And when I did Louisville we could have our shoes clipped on to the pedals.  Where do you race? Maybe its different in the North.  I've only raced in CA, LA, MS, TX, AL, NC, FL and OK.

Put a small towel down to step on, put a little baby powder in your cycling shoes and all the dirt will filter off your feet.

I stand corrected.  I was always under the impression that Set Up Events did not allow this practice.  I emailed them and they say that they do allow shoes to be clipped in.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition - Keep it Simple Rss Feed  

of 2