Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Master Swimming Clubs Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-28 2:27 PM

Subject: Master Swimming Clubs
I'm trying to find out if there are any current masters swimming clubs in the Caledon/Brampton area (GTA). I've been looking into joining one in the fall to try to help improve my swim for next season (I haven't even done my first tri yet, but I'm a keener!)

I found two listed on the MyMSC website, but both seem to be inactive (Cobra Masters and Dorado Stars). Can anyone help me out here?

Now, a more general question, what are the benefits of joining a masters group? I have an idea of them, but I'm curious to see if I'm correct in my assumptions.

Thanks!!!

2010-08-06 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3010514

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Master Swimming Clubs
I know there was at least one Masters swimmer that swim with the stars (they swim at Mayfield pool and I used to lifeguard there).  She was an ironman competitor, i don't think anyone else was out of highschool.  So if you are interested in just improving and getting faster, they are an amazing team with an unreal coach, but you probably wont have many friends out of highschool
2010-08-06 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
evey1984 - 2010-07-28 2:27 PM

Now, a more general question, what are the benefits of joining a masters group? I have an idea of them, but I'm curious to see if I'm correct in my assumptions.

Thanks!!!

I'm not in your area - so I have no idea ... I used to swim competitively at the Masters level and knew some of the teams - but not in a really long time...

Benefits?
1. Coaching - improving your stroke.  Swimming is all about efficiency.  I was watching the girl I swam beside for a bit at Steelhead - she had 2-3 strokes for every one of mine.  Who was expending more energy? (Yes I know - should have been focused on my swim ... but I'm totally off-task all the time! *laughing*)

2. Structured practices.  Sure you can swim on your own.  However, having to swim with others forces you to not only perhaps do more than you would - but also to stick to a pace time.

I swam on my own last year - and I come from a swimming background.  I had my workouts planned and pace times included.  However - going to masters this year pushed me more than I would have on my own.  Totally worth it in my opinion.
2010-08-06 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3027893

Silver_wlf - 2010-08-06 1:56 PM

evey1984 - 2010-07-28 2:27 PM

Thanks!!!

I'm not in your area - so I have no idea ... I used to swim competitively at the Masters level and knew some of the teams - but not in a really long time...

Benefits?
1. Coaching - improving your stroke.  Swimming is all about efficiency.  I was watching the girl I swam beside for a bit at Steelhead - she had 2-3 strokes for every one of mine.  Who was expending more energy? (Yes I know - should have been focused on my swim ... but I'm totally off-task all the time! *laughing*)

2. Structured practices.  Sure you can swim on your own.  However, having to swim with others forces you to not only perhaps do more than you would - but also to stick to a pace time.

I swam on my own last year - and I come from a swimming background.  I had my workouts planned and pace times included.  However - going to masters this year pushed me more than I would have on my own.  Totally worth it in my opinion.

I concur, as much as I swam alone at a pool I never got as much benefit as going to a masters swim. My speed has improved , my stroke efficiency has inproved ...actually every part of my swimming has improved. Over the winter I went from being a 2:00+/100m +swimmer to a 1:44/100m swimmer over a 2km swim and I owe that all to trying to keep up to Steve in the fast lane lol and of course the great teachings of Jenn our masters swim instructor.
2010-08-07 8:05 AM

User image

Orangeville, ON
I'm not sure how far you are from Orangeville, ON (half Hr??) but we have a great masters club at Alder Pool (Orangeville Otters). I have been swimming by my own for the past year and I haven't done much progres so I'm also thinking in joining them for the next season. Good luck!!
http://www.orangevilleotters.com/Masters.htm
2010-09-01 1:43 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
There is a club in Mississauga that appears to be accepting new applications:

http://mmswimming.blogspot.com/

2010-09-01 9:54 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
A couple people I scuba dive with Swim with a masters program up on Toronto. I will drop them a line and ask them where and when they swim and when it is starting. And if they know of any other programs. Both of them have been swimming for years up there all over toronto.  I will let you know what I find out.
2010-09-06 8:20 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
This site has a pretty extensive list of Masters Clubs including several in the GTA.

Check it out...  http://www.mastersswimmingontario.ca/
2010-09-06 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3083533

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Panther - 2010-09-06 9:20 AM This site has a pretty extensive list of Masters Clubs including several in the GTA.

Check it out...  http://www.mastersswimmingontario.ca/
/>
Great resource! I think that I will look into joining UofT Mississauga.
2010-09-07 8:07 AM

User image

New user

I'm actually in the same situation in the Brampton area and was looking into this group based in the Caledon / North Brampton area:

http://www.c3online.ca/index.shtml

2010-09-07 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3084661

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
cambull - 2010-09-07 9:07 AM I'm actually in the same situation in the Brampton area and was looking into this group based in the Caledon / North Brampton area:

http://www.c3online.ca/index.shtml

The prices are fantastic compared to what I have been seeing. I am also considering this location. Weekend warrior package for only $85 for the full year!

2010-09-07 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3084712

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-09-07 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3084792

Elite
Ontario, Canada

I will add my two cents to this organization. This is probably one of the best kept secrets in South Central Ontario. The head coach was the National Tri coach for many years. He has built a wonderful organization with C3, and great personal training company in Personal Best. His courses, events and training is always top notch.

If you live in that area, it's by far the best investment you will ever make for improving yourself... not just in triathlon, but in what ever you do. They will make you a better athlete... period!

Good luck and enjoy the training!

Sold! Now I will make sure that they have space for me since so many other clubs talk about waiting lists on their web sites. Thank you for your advice!

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Master Swimming Clubs Rss Feed