General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero at any speed? True or urban myth? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-08-06 10:28 AM

Master
Subject: Aero at any speed? True or urban myth?

One of the most common 'pearls' I hear on this forum and elsewhere is you will get the same aero advantage at slow speeds as fast speeds because you're on the course longer.

This is especially used to rationalize buying aero helmets, aero frames, etc., even a beginner.

I don't have any problem with buying what you like, but I am starting to wonder if there is any data to back this up or whether it's just a marketing-promoted pearl.

I ask, because in marathon distance RUNNING races (not cycling), you do not see teams of runners on a same team banding together into pacelines like cyclists to create a draft (similar to aero effects) for their favorite runner. ( I'm going to use drafting as an analogous situation to aero gear, as the effects are similar - hiding from wind to achieve faster speed with lower power.) Top pro marathoners are running about 12-miles per hour for 26.2 miles. 

If 'aero at any speed' is true, these pro marathoners should get a SIGNIFICANT effect from 'drafting' at that speed, as there are definitely cyclists who average only slightly higher than that over a 40k (nearly identical distance) course. Yet we never see it happening, ever. 

Can somebody clarify the difference here? 

2011-08-06 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3631814

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Aero at any speed? True or urban myth?
Have you ever run directly behind someone while going into a headwind for a while and then come up beside them?  It makes a difference.  No answer as to why that doesn't happen in races.
2011-08-06 11:05 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut

The amount of wind resistance increases by the velocity squared.  Wind resistance is a factor at all speeds and runners do, indeed, use a drafting effect.  However, the higher velocity, the larger percentage of overall power is used in overcoming wind drag.

If something gives an aerodynamic advantage with no compromises/sacrifices, then it's advantageous at any speed.  Thus, all else being equal, always opt for the more aerodynamic choice.  However, all else is not always equal and aerodynamic options sometimes come at the cost of other variables. When a racer is in a position where he has to make compromises between aerodynamics and other important factors (comfort, coolness, weight, mechanical efficiency)... then the speed is relevant to the decision.  The faster the speed, the more the tipping point is weighted toward aero.

2011-08-06 12:15 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I've never heard anyone claim that the aero benefit is the same regardless of speed; rather that aero benefits exist for all speeds and that there is no magic speed at which aero benefits kick in. You can run some numbers yourself using the following equation if you are interested:

P = 1/2 * rho * CdA * v^3

P is the power to overcome aerodynamic drag, rho is the air density, CdA is a combined term the is the coefficient of aero drag and frontal area and v is speed in m/s.

As for running, I have seen several instances where a runner will take advantage of a draft, especially if they can tuck in behind a bigger runner. With running, the only term a runner can make big changes to is v and this means that there will only be small advantages from drafting due to a smaller v term than is seen in cycling. However, even if a cyclist has a small v, if they can lower CdA, they reduce the power required at all speeds.

Shane
2011-08-06 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3631872

User image

Champion

gsmacleod - 2011-08-06 12:15 PM I've never heard anyone claim that the aero benefit is the same regardless of speed; rather that aero benefits exist for all speeds and that there is no magic speed at which aero benefits kick in.

This is pretty much what I was going to post as well.

2011-08-06 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3631873

Veteran

Two aspects to consider here:aero position and aerodynamics.

Aero shouldn't only be considered for the aerodynamic benefit, but for the pressure it takes off of wrists and hands.  I know I'm opening a can of worms, but after 50 miles, I start to have numbness in one hand if I don't have access to aero bars.

I'm more comfortable aero than not.  I'll even go aero in a sustained gradual climb because of the comfort level.  But I guarantee I'm not moving fast.

2011-08-06 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3631872

Master

gsmacleod - 2011-08-06 12:15 PM I've never heard anyone claim that the aero benefit is the same regardless of speed; rather that aero benefits exist for all speeds and that there is no magic speed at which aero benefits kick in. You can run some numbers yourself using the following equation if you are interested: P = 1/2 * rho * CdA * v^3 P is the power to overcome aerodynamic drag, rho is the air density, CdA is a combined term the is the coefficient of aero drag and frontal area and v is speed in m/s. As for running, I have seen several instances where a runner will take advantage of a draft, especially if they can tuck in behind a bigger runner. With running, the only term a runner can make big changes to is v and this means that there will only be small advantages from drafting due to a smaller v term than is seen in cycling. However, even if a cyclist has a small v, if they can lower CdA, they reduce the power required at all speeds. Shane

I disagree that a runner in a draft cannot reduce his CdA as much as a cyclist in a draft. A runner has more x-sectional area at wind-risk, and also, they run at slower speeds than a bicycle, hence it will be easier to maintain a close distance safely and thus improve the draft effect.

I agree that for SOLO athletes, a runner cannot reduce draft as much as a cyclist, but as drafting is eminently legal in running races, the fact that the pros do not run-draft strongly indicates that there is a minimal-negligible aero benefit from drafting at slower speeds.

By this standard, it might actually be true that 'significant aero benefits don't come until you're at X speed on the bike' - which is one of the most anathema statements you can make here on BT despite lack of evidence supporting.

The equation with v^3 as well also strongly supports the concept that slower beginners should NOT get the same time savings as a rider at fast speeds, so it would be accurate to say beginners are not getting anywhere near as much benefit from their deep-dish race wheels as a fast rider if the equation played out that way in real-world situations.

Edited by agarose2000 2011-08-06 1:30 PM
2011-08-06 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3631873

Master
DerekL - 2011-08-06 12:17 PM

gsmacleod - 2011-08-06 12:15 PM I've never heard anyone claim that the aero benefit is the same regardless of speed; rather that aero benefits exist for all speeds and that there is no magic speed at which aero benefits kick in.

This is pretty much what I was going to post as well.

One of the most COMMON things you'll here on this forum are:

"Speed benefits from aero gear end up being net the same for same distance traveled. While the faster rider gets a bigger mph drop, the slower rider overall gets the same time savings because they're on the course longer."

Do a search - this is by far the most common rationale for beginners by expensive aero gear like wheels for their bike.

I actually agree with your statement that there is no lower limit at which aero gear doesn't stop working, but I do believe the difference we're talking about are a lot smaller than people think on these forums - like trivial enough to be barely measurable at small speeds, honestly.

If pro marathoners don't find any benefit in drafting at 12mph, it's hard for me to believe that you'll get much of a time savings in a 40k bike at 15-16mph, which is trivially faster. Add the fact that most aero benefit measurements by wheels are done at high speeds where the gains are bigger (20+mph), and this supports this idea.

To date, I've never seen any real substantive data regarding time savings of aero gear by beginners riding at ,say, 15-17mph, more than isolated anecdotal incidents. 

I'm definitely playing devil's advocate here, but this is one of the most often asked questions and heated areas of debate - and to me, the data about pro marathoners really casts doubt on how much of a time savings you're getting when you're near their speed on a bike (like 15-16mph), and serious doubt on the concept that beginners save the same amount of time as fast cyclists because they're on the course longer. (I actually dont buy that one at all anymore.)

Edited by agarose2000 2011-08-06 1:28 PM
2011-08-06 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3631915

User image

Champion
I disagree that a runner in a draft cannot reduce his CdA as much as a cyclist in a draft. A runner has more x-sectional area at wind-risk, and also, they run at slower speeds than a bicycle, hence it will be easier to maintain a close distance safely and thus improve the draft effect.

You are certainly free to disagee as that is not what I said. I was not dealing with drafting as that is not as straight forward as simple aero drag. Drafting is not beneficial due to a change in CdA but rather due to the behaviour of the fluid after it has been distirubed.

What you need to consider is that the draft benefit is there but the power required to cycle at a given speed on level ground is primarily due to aero drag while the power required to run at a given speed on level ground is only partially related to aero drag.

I agree that for SOLO athletes, a runner cannot reduce draft as much as a cyclist, but as drafting is eminently legal in running races, the fact that the pros do not run-draft strongly indicates that there is a minimal-negligible aero benefit from drafting at slower speeds.

I have no idea what running races you are watching, but I have seen runners draft in pretty much every race I have ever watched.

By this standard, it might actually be true that 'significant aero benefits don't come until you're at X speed on the bike' - which is one of the most anathema statements you can make here on BT despite lack of evidence supporting.

There is lots of evidence to support that aero benefits occur at all speeds and if you disagree, I would suggest the onus is on you to present more than a flawed analogy.

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2011-08-06 1:59 PM
2011-08-06 1:48 PM

Master

Again, not disagreeing that aero benefits occur at any speed (they obviously do), but disagree on the oft-cited key concept here:

That net time savings for aero gear for slow and fast riders is the same because beginners are on the course longer. 

When I'm talking run-drafting, I'm commenting on why pro running teams clearly do not have team-pacelines to drag their favorite runner to the finish. Yes, there is some 'drafting' going on, but it is all loose and informal - nothing like HTC pulling Mark Cavendish or a yellow jersey rider to a finish in an organized manner. If drafting really worked that well at 12mph, I'm sure we'd see it done.

I'm starting to be inclined to take the position (especially based on your formula) that time savings are significantly greater for riders at 20+mph and that this idea of having equal net time savings on the course for slow vs fast riders is not true despite it being commonly said on these forums.

Edited by agarose2000 2011-08-06 1:49 PM
2011-08-06 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3631915

User image

Champion
agarose2000 - 2011-08-06 3:21 PM

The equation with v^3 as well also strongly supports the concept that slower beginners should NOT get the same time savings as a rider at fast speeds, so it would be accurate to say beginners are not getting anywhere near as much benefit from their deep-dish race wheels as a fast rider if the equation played out that way in real-world situations.

To your edit, run the numbers and see who saves more time in a 40kmTT assuming identical positions (CdA of .3) assuming that both save 0.02m^2 due to aero wheels - an athlete with an FTP of 200W or one with an FTP of 350W.

Shane

2011-08-06 1:58 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-08-06 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3631920

Master
Northern IL
agarose2000 - 2011-08-06 1:27 PM

One of the most COMMON things you'll here on this forum are:

"Speed benefits from aero gear end up being net the same for same distance traveled. While the faster rider gets a bigger mph drop, the slower rider overall gets the same time savings because they're on the course longer."

Do a search - this is by far the most common rationale for beginners by expensive aero gear like wheels for their bike.

How about you bring up the threads that lead to this belief since you have the question?  Then the responders can go from common ground.  Shane has done an excellent job explaining this, so what keeping you from accepting it?

Edited by brigby1 2011-08-06 2:08 PM
2011-08-06 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3631936

Champion
I'm starting to be inclined to take the position (especially based on your formula) that time savings are significantly greater for riders at 20+mph and that this idea of having equal net time savings on the course for slow vs fast riders is not true despite it being commonly said on these forums.

Feel free to run the numbers.

Shane
2011-08-06 2:25 PM

Master

No need to get personal here. I've always found Shane's responses very helpful and elucidating. I don't have an axe to grind, but I disagree when I see big discrepancies between theory and reality as practiced by the pros. (As per my marathoners not doing draftlines example.)

I'm still in the dark though on the conclusion - Shane, what is your  final take on the statement I posted above:

"That NET time savings for aero geafor slow and fast riders is the same because beginners are on the course longer."

Agree/disagree? I obviously value your judgment enough to ask!

A search for what I'm mentioning turned out thousands of threads - too many to go through individually, but this one should suffice as a started (scroll down to AndrewMTs response)

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=263374&start=1

Edited by agarose2000 2011-08-06 2:26 PM
2011-08-06 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3631962

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
agarose2000 - 2011-08-06 2:25 PM

No need to get personal here. I've always found Shane's responses very helpful and elucidating. I don't have an axe to grind, but I disagree when I see big discrepancies between theory and reality as practiced by the pros. (As per my marathoners not doing draftlines example.)

I'm still in the dark though on the conclusion - Shane, what is your  final take on the statement I posted above:

"That NET time savings for aero geafor slow and fast riders is the same because beginners are on the course longer."

A search for what I'm mentioning turned out thousands of threads - too many to go through individually, but this one should suffice as a started (scroll down to AndrewMTs response)

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=263374&start=1

This question was brought up on "that other site" and the point was made that "faster riders save more watts and slower riders save more seconds".  That seems to be a simple way to sum it up.  There are more benefits than just amount of time you save.

Edited by msteiner 2011-08-06 2:31 PM

2011-08-06 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3631969

Master
msteiner - 2011-08-06 2:31 PM

This question was brought up on "that other site" and the point was made that "faster riders save more watts and slower riders save more seconds".  That seems to be a simple way to sum it up.  There are more benefits than just amount of time you save.

And again, if this is true, why don't marathon runners, who would obviously get a significant aero benefit by closely running in a draft, safe those seconds during racing? You'll see them form loose packs, but they don't optimize their draft, even when going for the world record or Olympic gold. According to the statement you just made, marathoners (analogous to a 'slower rider) should benefit MORE over a 26 mile distance than a cyclist if the statement is in fact true.

EDIT - actually, I'm coming around to seeing GSMacloed's point - missed it the first time. It has to do with the differences in resistance of running vs cycling. That makes more sense to me. 

Thanks gsmacloed!

Edited by agarose2000 2011-08-06 2:42 PM
2011-08-06 2:41 PM

Champion

This is an apples to oranges comparison as well.

You spend a large amount of your energy cycling overcoming air resistance to propel yourself forward.  When you're running, most of the resistance is provided by gravity, and that is what you spend your energy overcoming in order to continue forward.  I'm not sure why you're trying to directly compare two very obviously different things.

2011-08-06 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3631975

Master
DerekL - 2011-08-06 2:41 PM

This is an apples to oranges comparison as well.

You spend a large amount of your energy cycling overcoming air resistance to propel yourself forward.  When you're running, most of the resistance is provided by gravity, and that is what you spend your energy overcoming in order to continue forward.  I'm not sure why you're trying to directly compare two very obviously different things.

Just realized this as Gsmacloed pointed out above. Good to have experts on this forum! Thanks.

2011-08-06 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3631972

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Through a quick google search, I found several sources recommending drafting like this one:

http://www.marathonandbeyond.com/choices/williams.htm

"How can biomechanics help the marathoner? Most of us who have run a marathon have used a simple biomechanical strategy. When running into the wind, we have drafted off another runner or, better yet, a group of runners. In doing so, we have reduced the adverse effects of air resistance, or drag. When we draft, the oxygen cost of running is reduced dramatically, improving running efficiency and saving energy for the latter part of the race. "

I'd like to say that I've seen runners draft in the Olympic marathon as well as NY, Boston, etc.

Edit: Realized as I posted this that three other people posted, but leaving this here as the article is at least a decent read.

Edited by msteiner 2011-08-06 2:46 PM
2011-08-06 2:47 PM

Master
Northern IL

If there are a thousand posts then it should be easy to find a handful to link.

And here is what Andrew said:

More time out on the course means more overall time saved.  If you do the math for how much time an aero helmet makes for a 4:15 IM bike split versus a 6:30 IM bike split, you'll see that the slower guy saves a lot more time.

It doesn't say that they save the same time.

2011-08-06 2:51 PM

Veteran
In the original formula, does "v^3" mean v cubed? If so, it seems like the impact of velocity on P is pretty dramatic.Also worth noting that v in this case isn't your speed. It is your speed relative to the wind. (I think). Meaning that in the eyes of this equation, going 20mph in no wind is the same as going 10mph into a 10 mph headwind. Or going 30 with a 10mph tailwind.This lines up with my own experiences running ld. It never occurred to me to draft but I sure did notice the difference between a headwind and a tailwind. The v being cubed.Also, the "A"in CdA is interesting to me. I need to reduce my frontal surface area.Thx for writing this up. Sounds like y'all have been over this 1000000 times on this forum but I just got here a couple months ago.
2011-08-06 2:53 PM

Master
, California

You do see some drafting / position jockeying in running -- look at an Olympic 1500m for example.  But I disagree that it's easier to maintain a close distance running.  On a bike you can be *right on* someone's wheel or even overlapping slightly to the side.  In a run you have to stay out of their kick.

2011-08-06 2:54 PM

2011-08-06 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3631990

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero at any speed? True or urban myth? Rss Feed  

of 2