Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Bike Trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-01 9:20 PM

User image

Regular
Dorchester
Subject: Bike Trainer
What do you use for a bike trainer and would you recommend it?

2011-09-02 5:23 AM
in reply to: #3670138

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Bike Trainer

I have a cyclops trainer.  I like it.  I think the resistance on it is a little tougher than riding outdoors in the same gear, but that is okay, as long as you aren't trying to use a rear wheel speed sensor.

I also ride on a computrainer once a week.  I would totally buy one... if I had an extra $2 grand lying around

2011-09-02 6:08 AM

User image

Veteran

I have a couple of trainers.

Blackburn which rarely gets used and typically for interval work. If you are looking at a rear ount trainer, Kurk Kinetics are pretty solid and so are Cyclops IMO. Lots our there to choose from and at varying price points.

Cyclops rollers....which traditionally have been used most of the time...best IMO because you can do just about anything on them and you actually have to think on them because you are using your balance to stay upright....I have had a few "doh" moments and fallen off.Embarassed Highly recommend rollers

I also have a Tacx Fortius MP...software driven trainer that has virtual and real life videos....you can also download GPX files into the software and ride indoors that which you have riden outdoors with the same effort required such as hills ( it will translate the elevation changes and automatically change tension on the rear roller) and also create your own profiles for different types of workouts. I like it as it breaks up the duldrums of indoor training however since it is software driven, it can be glitchy at times....but I do like it.

2011-09-02 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3670298

User image

Elite
Ontario
jsmoon - 2011-09-02 7:08 AM

I also have a Tacx Fortius MP...software driven trainer that has virtual and real life videos....you can also download GPX files into the software and ride indoors that which you have riden outdoors with the same effort required such as hills ( it will translate the elevation changes and automatically change tension on the rear roller) and also create your own profiles for different types of workouts. I like it as it breaks up the duldrums of indoor training however since it is software driven, it can be glitchy at times....but I do like it.

^^^^^^^
This - I have an i Magic trainer and love it.  Probably the best purchase I made.  While the videos are great (not such a big fan of the virtual), the Catalyst program is the hidden gem that not enough people use.  You can create specific ride programs with intervals etc, set targets, etc.  Works really well with Jorge's winter program.

I feel I got mine at a great deal since I (really my wife) found it on Kijiji in the Maritimes for $400.

2011-09-02 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia

Got a computrainer and really like it a lot.

Like the fact I can prepare for a course while staying indoor. Like the real course videos. Like that I can prepare my workout, load the file and then don't think of anything but crushing it

2011-09-02 8:03 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

I would love a computrainer - I have a friend with one and I'm totally jealous.

However, until I can save my pennies for one, I love my rollers.  I have a mag trainer but my rollers actually feel like I'm riding my bike.  I bought them for 25$ on Kijiji and they are crazy scary at first - but by the end of the winter last year I could get down on my aerobars on them.  My only complaint is that my hands get really numb.  Otherwise WAY better than a trainer.

2011-09-02 9:14 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

I quite like my Cyclops mag trainer.

Quiet, plenty of resistance for me, stable, and will outlive me several times over.

2011-09-02 8:08 PM

User image

Orangeville, ON
I have done some 2000 km on a Kurt Kinetic and I like it a lot. Solid construction, less noisy than others that I have tried and they are well calibrated in terms of speed/effort compared to a ride on a real road. Easy to put the bike on it, and when you are done riding you fold the legs and it fits under the bed. I use it for my weekday workouts (between 30 to 120 min) to avoid the traffic. I would recommend it.
2011-10-06 1:54 PM

milllgrove, Ontario
I use a Kurt Kinetic Rock n Roll trainer which is fantastic. the only issue I had was with it "bottoming out" when I weighed 250+ but that was resolved using risers that Kinetic supplied free of charge
2011-10-07 10:24 AM

Extreme Veteran
I'm glad this thread is up! I have a Cycleops trainer that I've used ONCE.
& in theory I like it (it's really solid & quiet).. but I just can't get myself motivated to use the darned thing.
Maybe checking out a Spinnervals dvd or something might get me out of the rut??
But until I somehow acquire discipline... it's spin class for me!

For those of you who have trainers or rollers that you use consistently... how do you plan your workouts??
Do you switch things up & work on different skills/etc? Or rely on it for the long endurance rides when it's too nasty to get outside??

(I'll also add myself to the list of people with Computrainer envy... I've only used one ONCE, but it was unreal!!)
2011-10-07 1:41 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-10-13 6:42 AM

I've got the Cycleops Fluid2, which I love. Highly recommended. Start looking on Kijiji or Craigslist.. you can usually find good value on there.  I think I paid $250 for mine.

Also, check out the Sufferfest videos.... They're pretty entertaining and a good workout.  Makes it easier to slug it out on the trainer.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Bike Trainer Rss Feed