BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2011-12-17 6:56 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: Experior and Slornow's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED

This is a group that I will co-mentor with Experior/Michael

When can I start?  Immediately

Name: Slornow/Randy.  Slornow=slower now than I use to be! Trying to fix that.

Story:  I'm 49 years old (50-54 AG next year...YEAH!) and 2012 will be my 4th season doing triathlons.  I have always been active in sports.  Played tennis competitively as a junior and for a couple of years in college. Ran off and on over the years but became more serious about running 4-5 years ago when my children started doing cross country.  Unfortunately, I seemed to have constant injuries as I incresed run volume/intensity.  Decided to give triathlon a try as I thought the different types of training would help with the injury problems.  Thought I knew how to swim but turns out that splashing around at the beach or pool was alot different than swimming with purpose from one place to another.  It was a struggle and still is. I have become passionate/obsessive about the sport and enjoy the people I meet through training/racing and BT.

Family:  Married for 21+ years to my very tolerant and supportive wife. Son, 18, that is a HS senior in the midst of the college application process and a daughter 17, a HS junior.  I have lived in South Alabama near Mobile for the last 22 years but grew up in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia.

Current training:  I guess you could call it maintenance mode but I am trying to hit some year end goals on bike mileage (obsessive). Running is typically about 25 miles a week and swimming is currently 3-4 short workouts a week.  Right now I train about 10 hours a week and during the peak of the season will be between 10-15.  Very proud to have broken 20 minutes in a 5k today (19:58) for the first time in 25 years. (May not be slornow anymore!)  I enjoy training, swimming not so much, so it has just become something I do as a part of my day.

2011 races: Did 4 sprints and 2 olympic distance races and was fortunate enough to reach the podium in 3.  Looking back I was pleased with the season and think that I began to benefit from 2+ prior years of consistent training.  Plus, I got a new tri bike, thanks to supportive wife, so was very motivated to put in the miles during 2011.  

2012 races:  Will likely be similar to 2012.  Just easier to do the shorter distances given family activities but I may do a Spring or Fall HIM.  The lure of an iron distance event is there but may have to wait another year or two.

Weightloss:  Not really an issue for me although I plan to try to eat healthier in 2012.....too much ice cream an hour before bed is not a good habit to have.

What will make me a good mentor?  I have been a mentee in 3-4 mentee groups.  I met Michael through a group he mentored in Summer 2010 and was able to race with/behind him at Chattanooga that Summer.  It was a great group. Last Winter I was in Fred Doucette's group (another great group) and he encouraged us to try to become a mentor.  Co-mentored with jseigs/Joe last Summer and really enjoyed it. We had a really active group and it was so much fun to see people with a variety of experience levels progress through the season.  I log all of my training here on BT and check in on the site more than I should. Have been anxiously awaiting the opening of the Winter groups and mentoring with Experior so I'm ready to go!          

Edited by slornow 2011-12-20 6:59 PM

2011-12-17 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3942424

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Experior and Slornow's Winter Mentor Group

And...I'm Randy's other half (not his better half -- he's got one of those).

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Immediately

NAME: Experior / Michael

STORY: I am an adult-onset athlete.  Until age 40, setting aside a few failed attempts to start running, I was not particularly healthy.  I looked at myself in the mirror (on my 40th birthday no less, so all clichés apply) and didn't like what I saw, the model I was setting for my kids, and generally how I felt.  I went out and ran a mile and it nearly killed me.  For some reason, I did it again the next day, and after a while it stuck.  Not long after that, I got injured from too much running too soon, and so looked into biking and then swimming, and that's how I stumbled onto triathlon.  I made a lot of other pretty big changes in my life, and now -- excluding the truly important things like family and trying to be a good person -- training is my priority.  I have some other hobbies (cooking, classical guitar, and (recently revived) woodworking), but they all take a back seat to training.

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for almost 18 years.  I have three children, about to turn 11, 9, and 7 (two boys and girl, in that order).  We live in Columbia, SC, where my wife grew up (and where I was an undergraduate).  We moved (back) here in 2004, from Indiana.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Right now, I have a stress fracture in my right forefoot, which probably started its life as a stress fracture waiting to happen at ITU worlds (in Las Vegas in early November), and became a bona fide stress fracture almost exactly a week ago at a half marathon race, verified by MRI this past Tuesday.   So at the moment, my training consists of pool running (yes, that is almost as exciting as it sounds) and, as of today, I've started swimming again.  I hope to start biking again next week.  I'm iffy for a marathon this March, but for the moment preparing for that race remains my focus.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2011, my highlights were (in order of how good they make me feel...)

• I hit 100 miles per week running for a few weeks straight over the summer
  • I PR'd at the half marathon distance twice (once this spring, once a week ago)
  • I took first overall for the first (and probably only) time in my life in a triathlon
  • I raced (well, maybe 'endured' is a better word) at ITU worlds

2012 RACES:  Right now, I have just two races on my calendar:  the inaugural Columbia (SC) marathon in March, and Ironman Wisconsin in September.  I will do some sprints and Olympic distance races as well, and probably a spring or early summer half ironman race.  But my big focus will, eventually, be Wisconsin.

WEIGHTLOSS: When I got into this business I was quite overweight.  I lost 40 pounds or so in several months, and now hover around 140, give or take 5 pounds.  I'm probably on the 'give' side right now, and would like to get back down to around 135 for the marathon.  (I'm 5'7", and pretty scrawny above the waist, apart from my belly...)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I love endurance sport, and I spend an inordinate amount of time reading about it, discussing it with others, trying to learn from others (including taking graduate courses at my local university), and trying to help others learn about it.  I believe that we all have things to learn from one another.  I've run several active and successful mentor groups in the past.  I check the forums multiple times per day, and love answering questions, posing questions, and looking in on how the mentor group members are doing.  

Randy is a very encouraging, motivating, and knowledgeable member of BT.  Come join Randy and me and let's have fun learning and tri'ing together!

Edited by Experior 2011-12-17 8:52 PM
2011-12-17 11:21 PM

User image

Randy/Mike,

I'd love to be a part of this group.  Will post a full bio a little later.

Thanks and looking forward to learning/contributing to this group.

2011-12-18 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3942625

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
tri808 - 2011-12-18 12:21 AM

Randy/Mike,

I'd love to be a part of this group.  Will post a full bio a little later.

Thanks and looking forward to learning/contributing to this group.

Welcome Jason!  (I don't think we are officially open for business yet, but the back door is unlocked...)

2011-12-19 8:30 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Randy/Mike,

Like Jason, I know this is a little early, but I'd love to be a part of this group.  Can post my bio later on.

Neil

2011-12-19 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3943667

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
GoFaster - 2011-12-19 9:30 AM

Randy/Mike,

Like Jason, I know this is a little early, but I'd love to be a part of this group.  Can post my bio later on.

Neil

Welcome Neil!

2011-12-19 10:20 AM

User image

West Texas
Someone said the backdoor was unlocked, mind if I come in?
2011-12-19 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3943930

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

matthew_lt - 2011-12-19 11:20 AM Someone said the backdoor was unlocked, mind if I come in?

lol.  At this rate we'll be full before we're live.  But I don't think we can say 'no'!  Welcome, Matthew.

When you guys get a chance, post a little bio as Randy and I did so we can get to know each other.  You can copy and past from one of ours to get the structure (changing the last item to "What will make me a good member of this group").  It would be especially great to get info about your history in endurance sport, and your goals for this coming year.

2011-12-19 12:10 PM

User image

West Texas
WHEN CAN YOU START BEING MENTORED CONSISTENTLY: Immediately - I'm good at taking orders.

NAME: matthew_lt/Matthew

STORY: I've always been "kind of active." I played sports in high school. In college and grad school I played intramurals and beer league softball. But became very inactive when I graduated and moved into the workforce (May '09). About 14 months ago after a few weeks of suffering from headaches I finally decided to go to the doctor. He told me I what I already knew, I had (very) high blood pressure. He also told me I wouldn't be able to control it with diet and exercise and I would have to have meds. After a little more than three months of pills (and peeing a lot) and finding out that my wife was pregnant with our first child I decided I had to change and I was going to do it without pills. I started slowly and began walking/running and biking and then added in swimming with the goal of completing a sprint. After a few weeks of working out I completed a mini-sprint and then later in the summer I completed my first sprint. Not long after that our child was born and things have slowed way down. Now I am trying to figure out how to make it all work together: being a dad, husband, pastor, community volunteer, triathlete, etc.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Kaci for 6 years and we have one son, Cooper (3mo). Plus we have two dogs, Duke and Dixie.

CURRENT TRAINING: Since Cooper's birth my training days have dropped from 5 days a week to 1 or 0 days a week. Now I want to figure out how to train smartly and consistently.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: A mini-sprint triathlon (first race ever) that I finished under my goal time and felt pretty good about, few 5Ks and, a sprint that I missed my goal time by about two minutes but still felt good about, a couple of charity cycling rides (30 and 40 miles).

2012 RACES: I have a few tris penciled in but am having trouble filling in a complete calendar because so many races are on Sunday's. But being a pastor Sunday is the only day I work (or so they say).

WEIGHT LOSS: Weight loss isn't as big a goal for me as just overall health. I'm about 250 right now, so I need to lose some weight but it would be icing on the cake. If I'm healthy as a horse I'm ok if that horse is a clydesdale.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER: I can be a pretty encouraging guy. Plus every group needs a slow person. Camping groups need a slow person to outrun when the bear attacks so they don't get eaten. Classes need a slow person to help the curve. Triathlon groups need a slow person to show just how good everyone else really is. (My self deprecating humor is just a bonus for y'all.)
2011-12-19 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3942519

User image

NAME: tri808/Jason

STORY: I'm 30 years old, and have always been somewhat active my entire life.  Mostly involved with lifting weights and playing basketball through college, which slowly turned more into playing softball (and drinking/eating more) after college.  Finally decided I needed something new to get back into shape so I signed up to do my first marathon in 2008.  Went about it all wrong, made all the rookie mistakes and ended up injured.  Put on more weight while I couldn't run and got up near 200 pouds (I'm 5'6"). 

Started looking up how to train properly, and successfully ran my first marathon (along with some other shorter races prior) in 2009.  Bought a road bike during that time, and took the plunge head first into triathlons in 2010.  Started off with sprints and a couple olympics that year, and progressed up to my first HIM in 2011.  I also found a passion for the bike...which is my strength, and I have gotten more into bike racing recently as well.

FAMILY STATUS: In a fairly new relationship with a fellow triathlete.  We do some of our training together, so she's pretty understanding of my training time, as I am with hers.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Just coming off marathon training, and just taking it easy till the new year.  I generally do some type of training everyday.  Right now I'm laying off the swimming a bit to rebuild my bike fitness that I have neglected during marathon training. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2011 Races (all my races are in my logs, but here are a few major highlights)

• Hawaii 70.3 (Honu) - 5:32
  • Cycle to the Sun (10k foot climb to the top of Haleakala) - 3:37
  • Dick Evans Memorial Road Race (112 miles...finished 40th, but was in a pack of the top 15 with 2 miles to go before I flatted)
  • Val Nolasco Half Marathon 1:41:07

2012 RACES: 

• Great Aloha Run, February
  • Mokuleia Tme Trial, March
  • Tantalus Time Trial, April
  • Honolulu Olympic, May
  • Hawaii 70.3, June
  • State Team Time Trial, June
  • State Individual Time Trial, June
  • Cycle to the Sun, August
  • Dick Evans Memorial Road Race, September

There are a few more races I may throw in just for fun.  After September, I may marathon train again, but I won't be looking for a PR...maybe just run with my GF to help her finish her first marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: I balooned up to 200 pounds, and am not steady at around 160.  I do want to get down to about 150 or less for this upcoming season, but I'm not sure if that's going to really happen.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I've been both a mentor and mentee in a few of these groups already.  I feel I have a lot to learn, but I have also learned a lot from personal experience that I can also share with others.

2011-12-19 1:54 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

NAME: GoFaster / Neil

STORY: Next year will make year number 5 - and I'm still trying to figure this all out.   I started out with no background in any of the 3 sports, and quickly discovered that swimming and I don't see eye to eye, the bike I'm okay, but the run is where I have some natural abilities.

Injured my ITB in 2009 at the Muskoka 70.3, and struggled throughout all of 2010 with the injury, until it got fixed after the season.  Funny enough (or not so friggin funny), it has just flared up for the first time over the weekend, and I'm hoping I can get it fixed asap.  Had my highest bike and run volume this year, but would like to increase it, especially the running in 2012 - I think I can make some further gains there.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, great wife, two crazy kids. 

CURRENT TRAINING:
Training for me has really fallen off since Sept (I haven't updated my logs for the past 3 weeks).  I kind of lost some motivation and have been struggling to get that back.  I had started Jorge's winter cycling, but fell off the wagon and need to restart.  Swimming is down to once a week, and the only thing semi-consistent at the moment is running.  So I'm really looking forward to this group since these always help with the motivation.

2011 RACES: HM where I went 1:33, some Sprints and the Muskoka 70.3 (5:52) - second time doing this race, and second time the hills handed me my behind.   

2012 RACES:  Looking to see if I can get the training and volume right to go sub 1:30 at the same HM as last year, with a stretch goal of 1:28.  Considering 2 HIM's next year, including Muskoka where I would like some redemption and be able to ride/run the way I think I can.

WEIGHTLOSS:
Non issue for me.  I'm 6' at 153lbs - enough said.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: 
I've been a member of a few groups in the past (Jason and Randy are both past members of some of those groups), and I feel like I can contribute - but mostly I'm here to learn as much as possible.  Even 5 years in, there are lots of different ways of doing things, and I like to soak as much in as possible.

2011-12-19 2:00 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Oh, and before I forget, I'm the proud new owner (October) of a Speed Concept 7.2.  Really excited about this, and hoping that it will help put me in a better position than my old bike and lead to some faster times next season.
2011-12-19 5:35 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

Hi Gang!  Would love to be part of this group if you'll have me!

NAME: DiOnMaui / Dianna

STORY:  This will be my third year racing tris.  In 2009 I was in a bootcamp class and we were talking about "someday I'd like to" and I mentioned triathlon.  Well, the instructor jumped right on me and said - there's one at the end of October - get on a bike!  I couldn't really swim, didn't have my own bike (though she lent me hers and I rediscovered how much I liked to ride!).  Things didn't work out for the October race, so I bought an MTB and went into 2010 with the idea of working up to that race.  Then, an Oly came up in June.  I figured I could do it if I learned to swim, so I took lessons, joined Masters, found BT and here I am.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married to Bruce for 23 years, no children, but have a yellow Lab (Cody) both who are responsible for getting me off the couch a few years ago.

CURRENT TRAINING:  In week 12 of 16 week marathon training for my first 26.2 on January 22!  Just put my MTB up for sale this weekend to fund a new road/tri bike (haven't decided which just yet).

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  PR'd my June 2011 Oly by almost 40 minutes over last year.  My first 1/2 marathon in 10 years in September.  Xterra 10K trail run in October, which prompted my to re-think any off-road racing.  Self-preservation is in order when you are 44.

2012 RACES: 

• January:  Maui Oceanfront Marathon
  • June:  Hawaii 70.3 and South Maui Triathlon (Oly)
  • September: Maui Marathon

Weightloss:  I discovered Paleo nutrition in March of this year and haven't looked back.  I initially dropped 20 lbs in the first two months, and have hovered at 135 (+/- 1 or 2 lbs) for the last 8 months.  At 5'8" and 135, there isn't a lot of meat left on me.  I'm the leanest I've been in over 10 years and feel great.  My biggest effort right now is to eat enough to sustain me through marathon training.

Why I'd Be A Good Participant/Mentee:  I love to read, research, EAT, test, train, EAT, ride, swim, EAT, run!  I train alone and have a couple of friends I can occasionally train with depending on everyone's schedules, so I'd love to be part of a like-minded group.  I'm an avid BT member and am a good student!  I'm ramping up to 70.3 this year and want to talk about it with others who "get it."  Oh, BTW, I love to eat and cook, so happy to share cooking/nutrition stuff if anyone is interested.

2011-12-19 5:58 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Experior and Slornow's Winter Mentor Group-OPEN

Well, I've been on the road for work today. Checked BT before heading out for a short run and swim and it looks like things have been busy.  Welcome Jason, Neil, Matthew and Dianna.  Thanks for becoming a part of the group.  Should be fun!

Randy

2011-12-19 6:12 PM

User image

We're live!!!  Looks like a good group so far.  Lots of familiar "faces".

Planning on a short 3 mile run after work and about an 45 minutes on the exercise bike at our office fitness center.  I would ride my trainer at home...but I don't plan to ride too hard...so the exercise bike does the job.  Maybe next week my bike workouts will get a little more focused, in which I'll get back on the trainer to make sure I can hit specific power intervals using my power tap.

2011-12-19 6:23 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

Experior and Slornow,

Mine if I join the group ...I was in Michael's group in the past and would like come aboard again.  I'll post a bio tonight.

Brian

Edited by TriGuyBri 2011-12-19 6:27 PM

2011-12-19 6:52 PM

User image

Master
Experior and and Slornow- Is there room for another member? If so then add me the group! I'll send in my bio later this evening.

Rene
2011-12-19 6:59 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

Name:  TRIGUYBRI/Brian

Story: This will be my 4th year doing Triathlons. I have done mostly sprints and 1 Oly and 1 Half-Iron Distance. I am an active member of our Tri Club in Salem, OR …Willamette Valley Tri Club (www.wvtriathletes.org). I am the Web Coordinator for the club and lead some workouts for members and newbies.  I am 48 yrs. old and a work as a  Public School Administrator in the field of Special Education.

Family Status: Married for 24 years. My wife Kay and I have a 10 year old son and a White Westie (Scooter).

Current Training: Going Long this April in a bid at completion of my first Marathon (Eugene Marathon in Eugene, Oregon). I have a Half-Marathon coming up here in January; one I have done before. Not looking to race it, but use it as a fun day, long run and to test out my Marathon Pace.

This years Races: I did two races this past year. My first Half-Iron Distance (Pacific Crest in Sunriver, Oregon). Very hilly and at high altitude, but got it done. Last one was a sprint distance race and placed third in my age group (45-49).

2012 Races: Eugene Marathon, probably some Local Olympic Distances and Sprint Distance races. I plan to either go up to Ironman Coeur D’Alene in June to volunteer with the expectation of signing up for 2013; or sign up online for Vineman Full in California in July. The Vineman Full is the day before my 50th Birthday. I believe I have one Ironman in me and it is to celebrate my 50th.

Weight Loss: I am trying to shed 23 lbs. and it is coming along slow; very slow. Would like to be at 190-185 by end of April for the Marathon.

Why I’d be a good participant/mentee: I take advice and direction well. I am always on line reading and gathering information. I like to share and celebrate others successes as well.

2011-12-19 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3944170

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Welcome again, Matthew.  Congrats on the new baby!  Yes, training with a little one is a challenge, and you certainly have to be flexible.  I was a single Dad for most of the past three summers while my wife was away for job training.  With some creativity and flexibility, it can be done.  I have some strategies that I'll try to remember to share, and I bet others do as well.
2011-12-19 7:17 PM
in reply to: #3944363

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Welcome again, Jason!  Congrats on the recent marathon PR, by the way.  You've got an exciting race schedule lined up for 2012.
2011-12-19 7:22 PM
in reply to: #3944429

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Welcome again, Neil!  Sorry to hear about the ITBS.  The roller is deadly painful, but works for me.  More recently, massage therapy has helped with that and other issues.  Of course, finding the root cause is important too.  (In my case, I think that a pretty steep camber in the road was causing me trouble.  I found flatter places to run, and no more ITBS.  Possibly a coincidence, but I'll take it either way.)

Going from 1:33 to <1:30 is VERY doable with good training.

2011-12-19 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3944796

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Welcome Dianna!  I like your spirit!  First marathon coming up is exciting (maybe a little scary?  I was terrified).  Anybody who loves to eat and cook and train will be right at home here, as far as I'm concerned....
2011-12-19 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3944878

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Catwoman - 2011-12-19 7:52 PM Experior and and Slornow- Is there room for another member? If so then add me the group! I'll send in my bio later this evening. Rene

Absolutely!  Tell us about yourself.

2011-12-19 7:29 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Welcome Brian and Rene.  Always nice to add some familiar names to the group.  Here is what I have so far:

Experior=Michael

Slornow=Randy

Tri808=Jason

GoFaster=Neil

Matthew lt=Matthew

DiOnMaui=Dianna

Catwoman=Rene

TriGuyBri=Brian

2011-12-19 7:29 PM
in reply to: #3944894

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Welcome Brian!  (Or welcome back, I guess...)  It looks like you have a very active tri club -- that's awesome.  Ironman for your 50th, huh?  Sounds like a plan.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46