General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why you should swim with a Snorkel and other new ideas... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-06-22 7:53 AM

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Subject: Why you should swim with a Snorkel and other new ideas...

I love to experiment with new training toys. It keeps me motivated, I get to see what works, what doesn't and if I can get faster using it. Last month I messed around with a metronome for swimming and running and if you have been reading my log you'll know that I have been using a snorkel recently.

A quick re-cap: The metronome or Tempo Trainer (TT) (Cost is $29.99) as it's called is a little electronic watch-like device. In the pool you can clip the TT onto your goggle strap and it will beep at the cadence you set it to. With your TT comes a bunch of info on how to use it at different settings etc. World Class swimmer swim at a rate of a stroke every .77 for 1650 - that's a pretty quick turnover.

For running, you can clip the TT to your hat or onto your shorts or even hold it in your hand (It's about the size of a silver dollar) and set the cadence to the desired pace. If you want to run 90 cadence you set the TT to .67 and off you go.

In both instances I have seen solid improvement in my swimming and running - my cadence has gone up on the run and my swim turnover is more consistent now than before. This is definitely a 'must-have' for the tool box.

Snorkels: Right now I am experimenting with the Finis Swimmer's Snorkel (cost is $39.99)- the main reasons I am trying this:
1. The Australian National Team is using them in all their training
2. They increase VO2 as it's harder to get O2 when you are breathing through the snorkel
3. It will help you see your entry, hand position and catch b/c you aren't turning your head to breath.  

So - I'll have more of a write up by end of next month on these two products - I need to get all my thoughts pros/cons on paper first. My impression so far has been good and I will recommend that all the athletes I coach use these products. My opinion is that the technology is there so we might as well use it and make training more fun AND improve in the process (see June's D3 newsletter - "Process Focused vs. Results Focused" http://www.d3multisport.com/newsletter/june2006.htm).

Lastly, if you want to try out the TT for yourself or the Swimmer's Snorkel, I have secured a discount of 20% for BT.com users - they also sell Zoomers, swim suits, hand paddles, goggles, videos, mono fins etc. The website is: http://www.swimyourbest.com/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=2 

**The coupon code is 'tempotr20ainer'
***The TT is backordered until August is what I am being told

Remember, have fun in your training!

Edited by mikericci 2006-06-22 7:58 AM

2006-06-22 9:54 AM
in reply to: #462527

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Why you should swim with a Snorkel and other new ideas...
Thanks Mike, good information and new toys to buy.
2006-06-22 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
IMO, Metrone for swimming has a limited advantage. And, if used incorrectly can be counter-productive.

>World Class swimmer swim at a rate of a stroke every .77 for 1650 - that's a pretty quick >turnover.

Yes... this may be true... but, the key element to successful swimming training session has to do with distance per stroke... not number of strokes. A metranone only focuses on maintaining a specific stroke count. Which can be good if you already have very good swim form and have establlished a good pace relative to the distance you are training. IMHO, the metranone may be good for very experienced swimmers, but may not so much for beginners or even average swimmers.

Higher turnover rate is counter productive unless distance gained per stroke is increased.

The best use of a metranone is to have the device help you determine the slowest turn over rate relative to the fastest swim time for a specific distance.

Unless I misunderstood your post... I see the metranone as a tool that could be used to help set a good pace defined by a pretermined "efficient" stroke count. And, this predetermined stroke count is best determined by distance covered per stroke (i.e., efficiency of effort). For this reason, I found the old Speedo Lap counter to be a much better tool to use (I wish they still made that device... mine still works... but, they had a lot of those devices not work).

FWIW Joe Moya

BTW, I like training toys also... they keep training interesting.

Edited by Joe M 2006-06-22 10:18 AM
2006-06-22 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
BTW, I might add... I've been using the Finis Swim snorkel for about 10 plus years - Off and On... And, the key advantage I have found is that it helps with developing body balance/hip rotation in the water...

It is also very handy to have if you happen to strain your neck while swimming....

I prefer to do strength based swim sessions with the Finis Snorkel because it tends to reduce neck stress and the potential injury it can cause.

Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2006-06-22 10:23 AM
2006-06-22 10:22 AM
in reply to: #462681

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Joe M - 2006-06-22 8:13 AM IMO, Metrone for swimming has a limited advantage. And, if used incorrectly can be counter-productive. >World Class swimmer swim at a rate of a stroke every .77 for 1650 - that's a pretty quick >turnover. Yes... this may be true... but, the key element to successful swimming training session has to do with distance per stroke... not number of strokes.

>>>not true. I saw a presentation of strokes counts and DPS for all of the swimmers in the Finals and the American woman with the fastest turnover, and shortest DPS won the Gold. Think Janet Evans. DPS doesn't work for everyone. I have seen this hundreds if not thousands of times with the athletes I coach and have coached over 20+ years. Each swimmer has to find that 'sweet spot' and the TT will help you do that and make a nice tempo for you to swim at.

A metranone only focuses on maintaining a specific stroke count. Which can be good if you already have good swim form and have establlished a good pace relative to the distance you are training. IMHO, the mentrone may be good for very experienced swimmers, but may not so much for beginners or even average swimmers.

>>I dont' agree for the simple reason that it will get you into a consistent swim stroke just like it will help with consistent run cadence or bike cadence for that matter.

Higher turnover rate is counter productive unless distance gained per stroke is increased.

>>>See above

The best use of a metranone is to have the device help you determine the slowest turn over rate relative to the fastest swim time for a specific distance.

>>>Ok - you said what I said above so we agree on that. You still can't be out there swimming 14 strokes per length if it's taking you 2:05 to swim a 50 though. That's too much like TI and I don't agree with that philosophy at all. If you want to swim fast, you need to swim fast. Same for running and biking as well.

Unless I misunderstood your post... I see the mentranone as a tool that could be used to help set a good pace defined by a pretermined "efficient" stroke count. And, this predetermined stroke count is best determined by distance covered per stroke (i.e., efficiency of effort).

>>>have you tried the TT? Just curious?

For this reason, I found the old Speedo Lap counter to be a much better tool to use (I wish they still made that device... mine still works... but, they had a lot of those devices not work).

>>>PS - you are pretty smart for a young guy (avator!) ;-) FWIW Joe Moya

2006-06-22 10:23 AM
in reply to: #462696

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Joe M - 2006-06-22 8:21 AM BTW, I might add... I've been using the Finis Swim snorkel for about 10 plus years - Off and On... And, the key advantage I have found is that it helps with developing body balance/hip rotation in the water... It is also very handy to have if you happen to strain your neck while swimming.... I prefer to do strength based swim sessions with the Finis Snorkel because it tends to reduce neck stress and the potential injury it can cause. Joe Moya

Good points, thanks. I have a new toy I am experimenting with for body balance - I guess I could use the snorkel and this thing too....hmmm....thanks for the idea.

2006-06-22 10:51 AM
in reply to: #462697

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
>>>Joe M - 2006-06-22 8:13 AM IMO, Metrone for swimming has a limited advantage. And, if used incorrectly can be counter-productive. >World Class swimmer swim at a rate of a stroke every .77 for 1650 - that's a pretty quick >turnover. Yes... this may be true... but, the key element to successful swimming training session has to do with distance per stroke... not number of strokes.

>>>not true. I saw a presentation of strokes counts and DPS for all of the swimmers in the Finals and the American woman with the fastest turnover, and shortest DPS won the Gold. Think Janet Evans. DPS doesn't work for everyone. I have seen this hundreds if not thousands of times with the athletes I coach and have coached over 20+ years. Each swimmer has to find that 'sweet spot' and the TT will help you do that and make a nice tempo for you to swim at.

Well, I think you have a point... tempo is important... but, one point you are making seems to be defined in terms that are related to world class swimmers or collegiate level swimmers.... And, these swimmers who do not do open water swims... And/or, swimmers who (in certain triathlon distance terms) do relatively short distances. What this means is that the end to the swim is that... there is no run or bike that follows.

For this reason, IMHO... turnover rate and it's resulting swim pace has to be adapted to terms based on efficiency with speed only a by-product of that efficiency of effort. When I see a lot of novices and intermediate level swimmers... a whole lot more can be gained in performance with efficiency of stroke than can be gained with number of strokes.

Janet Evens? Hmmm... her form and method was pretty radical from even other swimmers simular caliber. In spite of that... she did extremely well as a swimmer.

>>>Joe - A metranone only focuses on maintaining a specific stroke count. Which can be good if you already have good swim form and have establlished a good pace relative to the distance you are training. IMHO, the mentrone may be good for very experienced swimmers, but may not so much for beginners or even average swimmers.

>>>I dont' agree for the simple reason that it will get you into a consistent swim stroke just like it will help with consistent run cadence or bike cadence for that matter.

Consistent stroke with bad form doesn't make you a better swimmer. Better form with an efficient pace makes for a better swimmer. Assuming good form and efficient stroke... the metranome will be useful.

>>>Joe - The best use of a metranone is to have the device help you determine the slowest turn over rate relative to the fastest swim time for a specific distance.

>>>Ok - you said what I said above so we agree on that. You still can't be out there swimming 14 strokes per length if it's taking you 2:05 to swim a 50 though. That's too much like TI and I don't agree with that philosophy at all. If you want to swim fast, you need to swim fast. Same for running and biking as well.

Well... I would agree... but, maybe where we are divided has more to do with the level of experience of a swimmer and the relative value of a metranome for various swim distances.

TI can help some swimmers... and, it can hurt others. IMHO, TI will be of most benefit for novice swimmers with no natural ability. TI may actually hurt swimmers who have a natural ability. IMO, TI is like a version of a 101 course in swimming... it is a training method that needs to be evaluated but it is not an end unto itself. There are many training methods... TI is just one.

>>>have you tried the TT? Just curious?

Nope... but, I have used and still use the Speedo Lap counter which basically can be adapted to do the same thing by looking at your stroke count... I think I will give that device a try some day... but, I don't think I have the developed good enough form to find it as much of an advantage for my current training (i.e., IM distances). NOW!... That is where efficiency of stroke becomes a REAL issue... turnover is of less value at my current level of training and current training goals.

2006-06-22 11:37 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Mike, great timing for this thread!  I played with my son's snorkel in my backyard pool a few weeks back. I liked the feeling on not having to turn and breath with the short lengths.  I was able to better concentrate on swimming back and forth. 

My wife also runs and her main issue right now is her stride rate.  I was going to look for a MP3 file that had a beat for helping with this.  The TT sounds perfect for both of us to use.  I did a lot of work last two years on my running form working on stride rate & efficiency and on the bike my cadence, its paid off for me.  I was wondering about swimming, I'm slow because I know don't turnover like others do.  I have an article somewhere that said for OWS its about increasing the number of strokes that helps the most with speed, as the conditions are always different, far from ideal of a pool.  Sure maintaining the basics of proper form was still important but the number of strokes was key.  If I swim faster by stroking more I can go faster but maintaining it is another thing, I need to just swim a lot more and with the HIM in Nov I will be! But I'm sure using the snorkel and TT could help me a lot in training.

Looking forward to your feedback/articles, and any swim training guide on using these.  Not sure what I'd do if I had one or both today.

Don

2006-06-22 12:05 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Thanks Mike!

Now, about this tools for training: I am really REALLY looking to get my swim to be consistent sub 20-19 min per 1.5K (right now I am at 21ish min although my OWS is a bit slower but I think is because my wetsuit restricts my stroke) I have the time and I can spend up to 4 times a week in the pool and 1-2 doing OW. I still have some work to do on my stroke but if I get any of the suggested tools, is there a place where I can learn the best way to use them and take full advantage?

2006-06-22 1:10 PM
in reply to: #462855

User image

Boulder, Colorado
amiine - 2006-06-22 10:05 AM

Thanks Mike!

Now, about this tools for training: I am really REALLY looking to get my swim to be consistent sub 20-19 min per 1.5K (right now I am at 21ish min although my OWS is a bit slower but I think is because my wetsuit restricts my stroke) I have the time and I can spend up to 4 times a week in the pool and 1-2 doing OW. I still have some work to do on my stroke but if I get any of the suggested tools, is there a place where I can learn the best way to use them and take full advantage?

I think Kurt is familar with TT - but I should have some sets drawn up in a few weeks once I get back from vacation.

2006-06-22 1:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal

Mike,

This might be a stupid question, but are snorkels legal during a race? I honestly don't know if it could help improve performance. I have never thought of using one, but a friend of mine has asked me this question. I checked Triathlon Quebec's (yes I am in Canada) and there is no mention of it.

2006-06-22 1:46 PM
in reply to: #462947

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Oh ok, I'll shoot him an email asap! Good luck and BSL; I hope you guys don't melt in the middle of the run!
2006-06-22 2:06 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
mikericci - 2006-06-22 7:53 AM

Snorkels: Right now I am experimenting with the Finis Swimmer's Snorkel (cost is $39.99)- the main reasons I am trying this:
2. They increase VO2 as it's harder to get O2 when you are breathing through the snorkel
3. It will help you see your entry, hand position and catch b/c you aren't turning your head to breath.  

So

Would biking or running with a snorkel provide the same benefit?

2006-06-22 2:22 PM
in reply to: #463035

User image

Boulder, Colorado
the bear - 2006-06-22 12:06 PM
mikericci - 2006-06-22 7:53 AM

So

It sure would! Not getting O2 at the source makes it tougher to breath.

Would biking or running with a snorkel provide the same benefit?

2006-06-22 2:23 PM
in reply to: #462979

User image

Boulder, Colorado
p4406 - 2006-06-22 11:34 AM

Mike,

This might be a stupid question, but are snorkels legal during a race? I honestly don't know if it could help improve performance. I have never thought of using one, but a friend of mine has asked me this question. I checked Triathlon Quebec's (yes I am in Canada) and there is no mention of it.

Not a stupid question at all. I know the race I am doing this weekend, states 'no snorkels' - so I don't think they are legal.

2006-06-22 2:35 PM
in reply to: #463068

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
mikericci - 2006-06-22 2:23 PM

Mike,

Not a stupid question at all. I know the race I am doing this weekend, states 'no snorkels' - so I don't think they are legal.

USAT addresses snorkels in their FAQs:

Q. Am I allowed to use a snorkel during a triathlon competition?

A. Yes. But typically those who do are required to because of a diagnosed injury to a person's neck or head.

Of course that has nothing to do with canada, and would not pre-empt the rules of individual events.

2006-06-22 2:37 PM
in reply to: #463068

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
mikericci - 2006-06-22 3:23 PM

Mike,

From the USAT FAQ:

Q: Am I allowed to use a snorkel during a triathlon competition?

A: Yes. But typically those who do are required to because of a diagnosed injury to a person's neck or head.

So I guess it depends. Only "illegal equipment" in the USAT website rules is any thing that aids in propulsion or flotation that is not a wetsuit.

2006-06-22 3:45 PM
in reply to: #463066

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Well... a few things...

1) Hypoxic (i.e., oxygen deprivation) does not improve VO2... at least according to a study I read some time ago... (I'll dig this research up later this evening... as, it seemed to have disappeared from the search engine from this site.)

The abillity of the body to convert oxygen to energy (in simplistic terms) is not defined so much by oxygen consumption, but it is defined more by conversion. The lungs can bring in more than enough oxygen to the body.... but, the bodies ability to convert this into energy is the limiting factor.

I believe it was someone on this site who mentioned that they use a tube that limits oxygen intake as a way to develop adaptation for higher altitude racing (as related to running). In that instance, maybe it would have some effect - but, I've not seen any research to prove this. Others have claimed that breathing through a tube helps muscular lung strength... which may or may not be the case... but, that really doesn't matter since muscular strength of the lungs has virtually no effect on oxygen conversion.

The only known positive influence that breathing through a tube (whether it be in water or running) is if you have some neurological issue with regard to breathing rythym. I have seen these tubes used by Respriratory Therapists to help facilitate breathing issues with individuals who have CP or other neurological disorders. However, I know of no research that indicates this would help athletic performance.

The terms Hypoxic training and Interval training are commonly confused (specially among swimmers). The key difference being that Interval Training is where Oxygen is not limited in terms of consumption but rather the body is being forced into a state that makes it need more oxygen but has hit it's limits of CONVERSION capacity. IMHO, Hypoxic training simply gets to this state sooner and thus deprives the bodies ability to achieve this state through a longer process. It is this longer process that provides the bodies key mechinisms to achieve better oxygen conversion ability.

I guess you could say ... Hypoxic training is akin to training to crash on a bike... yea... it would make you good a preparing for crashing... but, is that really the purpose of training to increase performance?

The goal of most training is to maintain the longest period of time in a state of NEAR oxygen conversion failure (IMHO... this is not deprivation). The "NEAR" state is commonly referred to as functional threshold (whether this be HR, VO2, Watts, etc). Just how much you need to be in this functional state is dependent upon your training goals (i.e., long periods of activity vs. shorter periods of activity). Teaching the body to convert O2 to it's optimal level is the key. And, I have seen no study to indicate that Hypoxic training provides this ability (of course, I may have missed something and someone can indicate a study to me).

FWIW Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2006-06-22 3:51 PM
2006-06-22 3:50 PM
in reply to: #463097

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
I have seen this conflict also...

There is no rule that specifically forbids the use of snorkels (however, at one time there was such a rule)....

And, yet I have actually had USAT officials say that it would only be acceptable if it was medically necessary (...in fact, I had it happen to me this weekend when I RD a triathlon).

Something tells me there is an old school vs. new school idea regarding the use of snorkels... the old school still thinking it is illegal... and the new school who finds no rule to that effect.

Joe Moya

2006-06-22 3:54 PM
in reply to: #463214

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Joe M - 2006-06-22 3:50 PM I have seen this conflict also... There is no rule that specifically forbids the use of snorkels (however, at one time there was such a rule).... And, yet I have actually had USAT officials say that it would only be acceptable if it was medically necessary (...in fact, I had it happen to me this weekend when I RD a triathlon). Something tells me there is an old school vs. new school idea regarding the use of snorkels... the old school still thinking it is illegal... and the new school who finds no rule to that effect. Joe Moya
as and RD would you allow snorkels in your race?
2006-06-22 5:39 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I think there are benefits to both approaches and you need to incorporate both. 

Swim Fast: Means you gotta have a faster turnover.  I'd use this device when I was trying to go fast to help me stay on pace. 

Swim Efficiently: Means you gotta get as much distance per stroke as you can.  I don't think that this device would be as helpful in that case.

As far as the snorkel, I can see it being helpful so you can really concentrate on your stroke, but as far as oxygen dep training I don't see it.  And, you can't use them in races, (or at least any race I've ever been in) so while it might be a useful training aid, I would not use it too much.

I think swimming really fast is where you meld these two approaches into one seamless unit where your distance per stroke is efficient AT THE SAME TIME your stroke turnover is high.

I find focusing on the different areas and then trying to put them together is the most productive long term.

2006-06-22 9:25 PM

Elite Veteran
Why do I get sucked into these threads?! Hey, if Mike Ricci and Doug Stern advocate using a snorkel during your swim training, you should probably keep an open mind...

I can't comment on increasing one's VO2 max, but Doug is an advocate of snorkel training because it allows you to concentrate on working on your stroke deficiencies without having to add breathing back into the equation. It is a training tool. I can't speak for Doug, but I think the main point is that perfecting a swim stroke is hard enough; if you can tease out the breathing while working on another aspect, you'll be well served. Doug believes that you should stay aerobic while you swim, just as you do biking and running. If a snorkel helps you work on your stroke without having to rotate every 2-5 strokes, the stronger swimmer you'll be once you add in the breathing portion of the stroke.

And, Bear, I understand where you're coming from, but biking and running don't require you to turn your body to the side to breathe. You just breathe when you need to. You don't need to worry where your feet are in relation to your head. The snorkel just helps with stroke technique, if I understand the concept.

Can't wait to read Mike's formal thoughts.
2006-06-22 9:39 PM
in reply to: #463309

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Good overall analysis...

I'm with you on every point... good succinct explanation...

Joe
2006-06-27 2:38 PM
in reply to: #462742

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Joe M - 2006-06-22 8:51 AM >>>Joe M - 2006-06-22 8:13 AM IMO, Metrone for swimming has a limited advantage. And, if used incorrectly can be counter-productive. >World Class swimmer swim at a rate of a stroke every .77 for 1650 - that's a pretty quick >turnover. Yes... this may be true... but, the key element to successful swimming training session has to do with distance per stroke... not number of strokes. >>>not true. I saw a presentation of strokes counts and DPS for all of the swimmers in the Finals and the American woman with the fastest turnover, and shortest DPS won the Gold. Think Janet Evans. DPS doesn't work for everyone. I have seen this hundreds if not thousands of times with the athletes I coach and have coached over 20+ years. Each swimmer has to find that 'sweet spot' and the TT will help you do that and make a nice tempo for you to swim at. Well, I think you have a point... tempo is important... but, one point you are making seems to be defined in terms that are related to world class swimmers or collegiate level swimmers.... And, these swimmers who do not do open water swims... And/or, swimmers who (in certain triathlon distance terms) do relatively short distances. What this means is that the end to the swim is that... there is no run or bike that follows. For this reason, IMHO... turnover rate and it's resulting swim pace has to be adapted to terms based on efficiency with speed only a by-product of that efficiency of effort. When I see a lot of novices and intermediate level swimmers... a whole lot more can be gained in performance with efficiency of stroke than can be gained with number of strokes. Janet Evens? Hmmm... her form and method was pretty radical from even other swimmers simular caliber. In spite of that... she did extremely well as a swimmer.

>>>Joe - as a 10 year vet - why wouldn't you try something new - I don't know your history nor your background, body type of anything like that - but I have tried anything and everything to see if it works. Actually I feel it's my obligation to do that as a coach and if I find something that works, I'll tell people about it. In other words - I think you can swim faster than you do - without even seeing you how swim - not knowing any of your swim times, etc - b/c I have the confidence that I CAN make you a better swimmer. if you don't believe me go ask one of my 58 yr old athletes who started swimming when he was 54 - we had him down to 1:09 IM swim in 2 years from ZERO. I guess that's why I try everything with everyone - you never know what might work.

>>>Joe - A metranone only focuses on maintaining a specific stroke count. Which can be good if you already have good swim form and have establlished a good pace relative to the distance you are training. IMHO, the mentrone may be good for very experienced swimmers, but may not so much for beginners or even average swimmers. >>>I dont' agree for the simple reason that it will get you into a consistent swim stroke just like it will help with consistent run cadence or bike cadence for that matter. Consistent stroke with bad form doesn't make you a better swimmer. Better form with an efficient pace makes for a better swimmer. Assuming good form and efficient stroke... the metranome will be useful. >>>Joe - The best use of a metranone is to have the device help you determine the slowest turn over rate relative to the fastest swim time for a specific distance. >>>Ok - you said what I said above so we agree on that. You still can't be out there swimming 14 strokes per length if it's taking you 2:05 to swim a 50 though. That's too much like TI and I don't agree with that philosophy at all. If you want to swim fast, you need to swim fast. Same for running and biking as well. Well... I would agree... but, maybe where we are divided has more to do with the level of experience of a swimmer and the relative value of a metranome for various swim distances. TI can help some swimmers... and, it can hurt others. IMHO, TI will be of most benefit for novice swimmers with no natural ability. TI may actually hurt swimmers who have a natural ability. IMO, TI is like a version of a 101 course in swimming... it is a training method that needs to be evaluated but it is not an end unto itself. There are many training methods... TI is just one. >>>have you tried the TT? Just curious? Nope...

>>>this is my case in point! how would you know, unless you tried it? it's not even about using the TEMPO TRAINER for stroking your arms, but to get your hips in a natural groove. That's how we swim fast, by driving our hips, not by pulling faster.

I have used and still use the Speedo Lap counter which basically can be adapted to do the same thing by looking at your stroke count... I think I will give that device a try some day... but, I don't think I have the developed good enough form

>>>Well, endurance and form - in swimming you need both so improve one and you'll improve the other, no doubt about it.

to find it as much of an advantage for my current training (i.e., IM distances). NOW!... That is where efficiency of stroke becomes a REAL issue... turnover is of less value at my current level of training and current training goals.

>>>Forget turnover and think about hip rotation.

PS - nice race at Buff Springs - I wish we could have met.

2006-06-27 3:30 PM

Pro
AZ
Is there anything in the rules that allow for the use of a snorkel due to swim teacher dereliction? If 29 years ago you were a Guppy for 3 years in a row and never graduated to Minnow because your swim teacher could not teach you to blow out your nose in the water, and now as an adult you appear to be drowning when attempting to swim, BUT YET are stupid enough...or um... hard headed enough to train for a Sprint…..do you think they could make an exception? I could be a great swimmer IF ONLY I didn’t need to breathe!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why you should swim with a Snorkel and other new ideas... Rss Feed  

of 2