United States
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 06m 11s
Overall Rank = 55/239
Age Group = Cat 5 Men
Age Group Rank = 6/57
Pre-race routine:

Watched the Shamrock Half marathon and rode some of the course. Then drove to the race site.
Event warmup:

5 min on the trainer because I misjudged how long it would take me to get stuff ready.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 11s
  • 25.2 miles
  • 22.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Wind was a BEAR! My goal for this race was to be consistantly hard and keep it wheels down. I started out fine and at about mile 1, I got to the open fields. The wind was coming from my right to my left. It was so strong that I had to lean into it about 5 degrees to go straight down the road. A dog decided to come out and play around mile 3 but luckily for me he stayed on his side of the road.

I got to the left turn point and was feeling ok. The Zipp 404's (second ride ever) were sounding neat and I was feeling stong. Most of the way down to the turn around was fast because of the mostly tail wind. I knew that as of the night before there were 57 people in my Category. My goal was to be 50th and not get passed. There were random pot holes but I managed them well. I passed 2 people on the way out but I wanted to pass the guy who went off in front of me because he gave me the "evil" stare before he took off.

I got to the turn around and skidded my back tire. It is on a two lane road on the North Carolina/Virginia Border. So you come to a dead stop and then...WHAM...into a 20+ mph head wind. This is where I had to focus something fierce. I was also excited because I got there before 30 min which means I was averaging at least 25 mph. I had visions of coming in around an hour. Mother nature laughed at that one.

I was not going to let my resolve give up. I kept it in the big front ring but found myself mashing even when I was in my 23. So I made the smart choice to drop to my small front ring and use the small rear gears. It gave me a wider choice of gears and I could keep my cadence up. If I felt my stroke get easy, I up-shifted, if I felt it get hard, I down-shifted. My goal was not to slack and give it everything and see if I could do it.

I kept counting as I passed people. I went from 53 to 49 in like a 1/2 mile. I was feeling good about myself. There is nothing better than hearing the sound of a disc wheel as YOU are passing it. :P

Got to the right turn and it was now a cross wind. Again, I had to lean into it to keep from getting blown around. I was knashing my teeth pretty much the whole time. It makes it hard to drink that way.

I just kept pushing and pushing. When the road became new pavement, I knew I was close to the line, but not sure how far. I was still in my small front ring. By the time I saw the finish line, I tried to get into my big ring, but I had lost about 200 meters of sprint time. I probably lost about 10 seconds there. So I made sure to tell my team mates that when they hit new pavement, go all out.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Other than know how close the finish line was and push that a bit harder. I gave it what I had and I was consistant. I even felt good enough to go for a bit of a run afterwards yet I knew I left it on the course.

That's a neat feeling!!
Post race
Warm down:

Road around a bit and warned people to use their gears out there. Went for a quick jog to see how it felt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience. I treated it as a bike leg of a Triathlon. I was glad that I had my Aerodrink because I used it a lot. But I'm sure a 'pure' TT rider would have gone without water. I figure train how you race and this was a hard training day.

Event comments:

I was disappointed that there was no T-shirt. I guess I am spoiled with running races and Tri's. Apparently, you only get something when you place. That's my next goal.

It was a great day to beat up my body and although I didn't place where I wanted, it was all that I had. I did place the highest on the Conte's Hilton Cycling Club team. Not bad for a first timer!!

Last updated: 2007-03-02 12:00 AM
Biking
01:06:11 | 25.2 miles | 22.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/57
Overall: 55/239
Performance: Good
1st half: 29:45 avg HR: 154 max HR: 163 2nd half: 36:24 avg HR: 157 max HR: 163
Wind: Strong
Course: Course was out 5.7 miles, left turn and winding down to a turnaround. (12.6 miles) Then reverse and come back.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-03-19 1:08 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Dismal Dash TT

2007-03-19 5:50 PM
in reply to: #728630

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: RE: Dismal Dash TT
Believe it or not you saved yourself 30 seconds by having your Areo Drink. So in your face other Time Trialist. Also its probably a good thing you didn't have a full disc rear, you would have been blown off the road!!

Good performance man, glad to see that Slice 6 or 13-ish is treating you nicely.

Shanks
2007-03-19 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Congratulations!!  You kept a great pace, especially considering that wind yesterday.
2007-03-19 8:52 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Nice race!!  Hopefully this will be the year that I will passing the full disc rear riders as well...I can only imagine the sound, and the looks on their faces now

Ben

2007-03-20 7:54 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Nice race, way to keep at in even into a sucky headwind!
2007-03-23 8:27 PM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida
It sounds like you  had a great TT!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dismal Dash TT Rss Feed