BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2009-01-02 9:44 PM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Elgin, Ok
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED
Lesson on sighting.

I was swimming at my local y this morning. About half way through my swim a younger lady (probably a big sister or sitter, not his mother) brought a handicap boy in to let him swim. He was about 12 to 13 years old. He swam around a while in the open swim area. Then he started to cross the lane lines and swim around in the lanes. I have seen swimmers in the past get very angry when this happened and even myself have in the past been annoyed. However, this morning the thought that crossed my mind was what a great opportunity for sighting for an open water swim had presented itself. I finished my workout without any problems and walked out of the pool with my two non-handicapped children. Sometimes you never realize the blessings god gives you until he puts the potential for a bad reaction right in your swim lane.

2009-01-02 10:40 PM
in reply to: #1883597

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

hughes411 - 2009-01-02 9:25 PM I have a question about biking. I need to adjust my seat height on my bike. What type of angle should your knee be at during both the top and bottom of your pedal rotation. I know that when squatting it is not good for your knees to flex past 90 degrees is that also true on the bike?

there are a couple of different sites that kind of give you some recommended angles, etc.  But, in all honesty, if you have a good bike shop that has a good bike fitter in your area, its well worth the money.  If that is not a option, good bike fit and there should be some common recommendations out there for you.  Good luck!

2009-01-02 10:42 PM
in reply to: #1883645

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

hughes411 - 2009-01-02 9:44 PM Lesson on sighting. I was swimming at my local y this morning. About half way through my swim a younger lady (probably a big sister or sitter, not his mother) brought a handicap boy in to let him swim. He was about 12 to 13 years old. He swam around a while in the open swim area. Then he started to cross the lane lines and swim around in the lanes. I have seen swimmers in the past get very angry when this happened and even myself have in the past been annoyed. However, this morning the thought that crossed my mind was what a great opportunity for sighting for an open water swim had presented itself. I finished my workout without any problems and walked out of the pool with my two non-handicapped children. Sometimes you never realize the blessings god gives you until he puts the potential for a bad reaction right in your swim lane.

great lesson!   Sometimes you just have to look at things from a different angle.  

I know there is a water aerobics class (read, older ladies) that a trainer runs on the weekends around when I swim.   A lot of weekends, they spill over, and they let them into the last lane of the lap pool so they are water aerobicizing in the lap pool.  I personally dont think that is right because the lap pool should be for swimmers only, BUT, they seem to really enjoy it, it seems to get them out and active, so I try not to get mad.  Also, when I swim in the lane next to them, it great open water wave practice!!!!!

2009-01-02 11:59 PM
in reply to: #1883182

User image

Master
Thanks Kellie and Greg for the comments about the biking and the HIM. I have looked over the program and think I can do Jorge mostly and get in a better ride than planned. The longer rides will have to happen and I am still wondering about riding in really crappy weather. It's been my worry all along with a June race, but so it goes. I'll find a way!!!

And Roni your plans for the mary and HIM sound perfect. Definitely dedicated!! If I am really focused on a running race it's really hard for me to keep up the other stuff. But your run will benefit so much from the increased running training. Great for you. I know after I finish a big race like a mary or a fast half-mary I just want to find something else to train for since the race itself was an awesome training session and philosophically I want to build on that! I think that's how addictions work!! LOL!

Kudos to you, Jon, for making lemonade out of your swim session. Way to go!

2009-01-03 2:53 PM
in reply to: #1883723

User image

Expert
kellc09 - 2009-01-02 11:42 PM

hughes411 - 2009-01-02 9:44 PM Lesson on sighting. I was swimming at my local y this morning. About half way through my swim a younger lady (probably a big sister or sitter, not his mother) brought a handicap boy in to let him swim. He was about 12 to 13 years old. He swam around a while in the open swim area. Then he started to cross the lane lines and swim around in the lanes. I have seen swimmers in the past get very angry when this happened and even myself have in the past been annoyed. However, this morning the thought that crossed my mind was what a great opportunity for sighting for an open water swim had presented itself. I finished my workout without any problems and walked out of the pool with my two non-handicapped children. Sometimes you never realize the blessings god gives you until he puts the potential for a bad reaction right in your swim lane.

great lesson!   Sometimes you just have to look at things from a different angle.  

I know there is a water aerobics class (read, older ladies) that a trainer runs on the weekends around when I swim.   A lot of weekends, they spill over, and they let them into the last lane of the lap pool so they are water aerobicizing in the lap pool.  I personally dont think that is right because the lap pool should be for swimmers only, BUT, they seem to really enjoy it, it seems to get them out and active, so I try not to get mad.  Also, when I swim in the lane next to them, it great open water wave practice!!!!!

One night a week, the Y has the highschool swim team in the far left lanes, and the water aerobics in the far right lanes, with 2 lap lanes squished inbetween. I try to go on those nights and swim near the swim team. It's as close to an open water swim as I can get!

2009-01-03 2:59 PM

User image

Expert

Help Me, Please!

I just went out for a run for the first time in weeks! Check my log-no yellow bars for all of December.

My run today was pitiful. I was SLOW. Way slower than usual, and I only did 2 miles. There are lots of reasons why I havent been running- no daylight, icy/slushy roads, cold and wind. But the reality is that I have to find a way to run atleast twice a week.

So here's where ya'll come in: Please help me stay focused on the run. Hold me accountable, check my logs and comment if I'm not running. If I know someone is watching, I'm more likely to get my aasics on!

Thanks-Heidi

2009-01-03 3:32 PM
in reply to: #1884361

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2009-01-03 2:59 PM

Help Me, Please!

I just went out for a run for the first time in weeks! Check my log-no yellow bars for all of December.

My run today was pitiful. I was SLOW. Way slower than usual, and I only did 2 miles. There are lots of reasons why I havent been running- no daylight, icy/slushy roads, cold and wind. But the reality is that I have to find a way to run atleast twice a week.

So here's where ya'll come in: Please help me stay focused on the run. Hold me accountable, check my logs and comment if I'm not running. If I know someone is watching, I'm more likely to get my aasics on!

Thanks-Heidi

Ok, you asked for it   So tell us what your plan for running is this week and we'll make sure you do it! 

I ran a lot last winter outside in the crap, and the dark.  In the winter I leave for work when its dark and its dark when I get home.   I only ran on the treadmill when it was too icy and they didnt clear our streets.   So it can be done.  This year if I run before spring (fingers crossed), I will be mostly on the treadmill due to the knee.  More controlled environment.

But, just take the proper precautions and get out there!!!!!!!!!

2009-01-03 5:01 PM

User image

Master
Good job getting out there, Heidi! How long has it been since you ran regularly? (I'll surf your log!) Anyway, remember the first few runs can be really sucky but if you've had a base in the past you'll get your groove back sooner rather than later. You just have to be mentally tough for the first few runs.

I'll happily cajole you into running!

These last few weeks have been a tough time of year to keep up the runs -- kids home from school, holidays, and I've had the same ice/slush/ick conditions you've had. Blech. Now that the new year is upon us we'll all find our routines -- so just try to make sure the runs are a part of yours!

Me, I need to find my way to the pool. I think I will do that on Tuesday morning and aim to do it 2x a week for now. Swimming is the easy sport for me, so it's the first to get neglected and the one I put the least amount of time into... I can be very competitive for tri swims w/o much work, and to be faster would require huge amounts of time/effort which for me is much better spent on the bike. At least that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it!

So when are you planning your next run, Heidi??

And Greg -- come and tell us about your race today please!!
2009-01-03 11:08 PM
in reply to: #1884392

User image

Expert
kellc09 - 2009-01-03 4:32 PM
slow turtle - 2009-01-03 2:59 PM

Help Me, Please!

Thanks-Heidi

Ok, you asked for it   So tell us what your plan for running is this week and we'll make sure you do it! 

I ran a lot last winter outside in the crap, and the dark.  In the winter I leave for work when its dark and its dark when I get home.   I only ran on the treadmill when it was too icy and they didnt clear our streets.   So it can be done.  This year if I run before spring (fingers crossed), I will be mostly on the treadmill due to the knee.  More controlled environment.

But, just take the proper precautions and get out there!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the support. Here is my plan for the week:

Sunday (Tomorrow)-swim 800 yards and RUN 20 to 25 minutes at the Y.

Mon: Bike- Jorges Week 3 Day 1

Tues: Swim 1000 yards

Weds: Bike Jorges program

Thurs: Run 2 miles

Fri: Bike Jorge's plan W3, D3

Sat: Rest

I'll have to make a commitment to getting on the treadmill sometimes (which I've never done before). I'm very weary of running outside in the dark or when the roads aren't clear. I ruptured a tendon in my foot 4 years ago, and it is easily re-injured. So I'm pretty cautious with it.

2009-01-04 6:34 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Today I rest, since I will taking my daughter back to college and it is 8 hours of driving. Ugh!  Check my log from yesterday though, I did my first trail run so I need the day off!

It was fun.  Different, but fun!

2009-01-04 4:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

Heidi - I will check your log later this week.  I didn't ride my bike once this week!  I ran a lot though...too bad we can't combine our training.  I would do all the running!

Greg - great job on the trail run.  I can't wait to run outside again.

I am hoping this week I can behave like a triathlete and not be weak.  I have not been as consistent with my diet or training as I would like to be.  I have very high expectations for myself and hate when I fall short.   If I don't get it together, I will be a slow, fat triathle (oh, there is a book by that name...hmmmmm).

2009-01-04 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Alright guys.. so here it goes.  Holidays are over, Im back to work tomorrow, and the dread of Michigan winters is upon us      So, time to get with the program.   Im back to a few hours of workouts, and I need to re-clean up my diet. 

My Friday weigh in with the Biggest Loser group I run for my tri club was 137.  Its a far cry from the 125 I like to race at.  Soooo, its on now.       no excuses.  (well if I have surgery I may need to lay off myself that week and the next)

2009-01-04 5:54 PM

User image

Expert

My friday weigh in was 136.5. That's about 4 lbs heavier than I like to be.

I did make it to the Y this morning for my scheduled workout. 800 yards in the pool, then 2 miles on the treadmill. I didn't eat enough before I went, so my legs were pretty shaky by the time I was done.

Then this afternoon, we spent about 1 1/2 hours sleigh riding with the kids. That was lots of hill work-which was fun!

Greg- Hope you had safe travels to your daughters college today. I'll be taking my 18 year old back to school on 1/20. For now, I'm enjoying having her around!

2009-01-04 6:44 PM
in reply to: #1885653

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

Kellie - I feel your pain.  I will be waiting to hear the news about your knee.

I go back to work tomorrow too.  I have some scheduling issues cuz my gym closed and will reopen in March (changing locations).  They gave us an alternate place to go at 16 mile and Gratiot, but it totally screws up my morning routine.

Anyway, my eating was great between xmas and new years eve.  Then it went to hell.  I am very discouraged and scared that I won't be able to get it back together.  I just packed up a bunch of healthy meals for the week. 

I am hoping for a miracle between now and the Martian Half! I feel really slow running at this weight.  And I definitely don't want to be seen in my itty bitty tri suit at this weight or anything close!

Edited by Bronwyn1968 2009-01-04 6:45 PM
2009-01-04 7:28 PM
in reply to: #1884961

User image

Master
Wow Greg, to have a child in college.... Hope the drive went well.

Heidi, good girl for getting another run done!

Bronwyn, that is a great plan to pack up healthy meals for the week. I find that good planning leads to good eating for me.

Friday I was 134.5, in my upper range. This morning it was 133. I panic when I see 135 for 2 days in a row, but usually I bounce around quite a bit. I'd like to be racing sub-130 but I don't want to work hard to do it, so I won't complain.

This week I'll do Jorge MWF. There is a body shop class at my Y that I love to do on Tu/Th (30 min. spin/30 min. of something else -- we change it up every 8-12 weeks; I think now we're doing some core & weights). I'm toying with the idea of swimming instead of the spinning, but that means earlier wake-up and I'll decide later what I want to do. I'll add some runs in as my schedule allows, but don't have tons planned yet. I am doing a stairs workout with a girlfriend on Tuesday.

Today I got in the pool for the first time in several months. When I swim I always wonder why I don't swim more because I truly love it. But for tris, my time is better spent running or biking as that is where I need more speed.

Happy back-to-reality-work-school-life, peeps!!

Kyla
2009-01-04 7:54 PM
in reply to: #1885719

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
slow turtle - 2009-01-04 5:54 PM

I did make it to the Y this morning for my scheduled workout. 800 yards in the pool, then 2 miles on the treadmill. I didn't eat enough before I went, so my legs were pretty shaky by the time I was done.

Then this afternoon, we spent about 1 1/2 hours sleigh riding with the kids. That was lots of hill work-which was fun!

Greg- Hope you had safe travels to your daughters college today. I'll be taking my 18 year old back to school on 1/20. For now, I'm enjoying having her around!

Everything went fine.  We dropped her off and drove her wrecked car home and it made it just fine, though the headlights were not shining in the right directionSurprised

2009-01-04 8:17 PM
in reply to: #1885886

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Gregkl - 2009-01-04 7:54 PM
slow turtle - 2009-01-04 5:54 PM

Everything went fine.  We dropped her off and drove her wrecked car home and it made it just fine, though the headlights were not shining in the right directionSurprised

Glad she arrived safe and the car made it back home

2009-01-05 7:06 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
slow turtle - 2009-01-03 12:59 PM

Help Me, Please!

Thanks-Heidi

Hi Heidi! Great job getting the run in! Whenever I take some time off running and come back to it, I feel like I've forgotten how to run for the first run or two. It'll come back to you quickly though. It can be really difficult to motivate yourself to get out there in the Winter when there is less daylight and cold, icey,snowy weather. I usually try to find a late Winter or early Spring race to train for which helps keep me motivated to run through the Winter. Accountability is also great, so consider yourself watched

2009-01-05 7:07 AM
in reply to: #1884961

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Gregkl - 2009-01-04 4:34 AM

Today I rest, since I will taking my daughter back to college and it is 8 hours of driving. Ugh!  Check my log from yesterday though, I did my first trail run so I need the day off!

It was fun.  Different, but fun!

Great job on the trail run Greg!!!

2009-01-05 7:18 AM
in reply to: #1885780

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-01-04 4:44 PM

Kellie - I feel your pain.  I will be waiting to hear the news about your knee.

I go back to work tomorrow too.  I have some scheduling issues cuz my gym closed and will reopen in March (changing locations).  They gave us an alternate place to go at 16 mile and Gratiot, but it totally screws up my morning routine.

Anyway, my eating was great between xmas and new years eve.  Then it went to hell.  I am very discouraged and scared that I won't be able to get it back together.  I just packed up a bunch of healthy meals for the week. 

I am hoping for a miracle between now and the Martian Half! I feel really slow running at this weight.  And I definitely don't want to be seen in my itty bitty tri suit at this weight or anything close!

Great job packing up healthy meals for the week Bronwyn! It's an awesome start to getting it back together. I understand your fear, but you can do it! You've done it before, and you know how, so it's just a matter of doing it. I know that's the hard part, but I have faith in you! You can be your miracle!!!

2009-01-05 10:53 AM

User image

Expert

Bronwyn-Great job with planning the healthy meals! You can do it!

Roni-I just saw your before/after pics. Wow! What a transformation!

Kyla-How did the 30 minute bike test go?

Hope every one else is doing well.

2009-01-05 11:03 AM

User image

Elgin, Ok
Back to school. That is good for me though. It gives me a scheduled workout that I can't skip. Someone has to watch the students. Friday weight was 168. My weight is pretty consistant. It ranges from 165 to 170. (I am one of those blessed with high metabolism).

Great Job on all the training.

Happy Monday.
2009-01-05 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
hey Hughes-What do you teach? And no matter what subject it is...God bless ya!
2009-01-05 12:17 PM

User image

Expert

Holly-Happy Birthday!! A little late, but I just saw it on your blog!

Heidi

2009-01-05 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1886784

User image

Master
Amen. LTHR test DONE. I tell ya, I had major anxiety leading up to that. I totally had to pep-talk myself all morning: "This is all about you. It's only to give you a measurement to train from. You can do it. Just because it will be hard doesn't mean you can't/won't do it. Just get 'er done. You have given birth, you have run marathons, you have endured: You can do anything for 30 minutes." Seriously!!!!!! This sent me into a tizzy. Why?????? I dunno -- I think I am just a total slow-twitch athlete who loves to go long forever but pushing myself for short times is really scary and hard. My college swim team 20+ years ago did lactate testing for two seasons (ear pricks) and I was the total slow-twitch distance person (good thing, as my best & fave event was the mile)... I KNOW this is how I'm made.

But I digress. Sorry, this is sort-of like therapy for me!!!

Anyway, test was humming along fine -- it was hard but I was hanging on. I was playing mind games where I couldn't check my time unless two songs passed by. I was scrolling thru my MP3s and landing on every Foo Fighters song I could. About mid-way through I got the brilliant idea to turn off the multisport on my garmin so I wouldn't have weird transition splits. So I did... and it TURNED OFF MY TIMER!!!!!! Ack!!!!!!!!!!! Good thing my kids were at school because the profanities I was shouting were passionate and loud. I was fumbling all over with buttons just trying to get my timer going again. And when I finally did, I realized I didn't know how long I had gone before this fiasco!! So I did my best guestimate, and when all was said and done my test came in at 28:42... so add in the time I fumbled around to get the timer going again and I'm gonna say I was close to 30:00 (maybe :20-:30 short). The good news is that was a total rush and my HR ended up climbing 3-4 beats and I held it there for the rest of the test. I averaged the two avg. HRs (165 and 169), multiplied by .97 and get a 162 LTHR. We'll see how that goes for future workouts.

Glad that is done. I'm copying this post into my log to remind myself how I felt the next time I need to do a test!!

Happy Monday.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30