BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tribesman's group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-01-22 7:18 PM
in reply to: #1857242

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: tribesman's group - FULL

Stay inside and ride on a trainer or run on the treadmill...safe, warm and you can do it naked if you choose...

2009-01-22 8:08 PM
in reply to: #1923716

Expert
Atlanta, GA
natebs - 2009-01-22 8:18 PM

Stay inside and ride on a trainer or run on the treadmill...safe, warm and you can do it naked if you choose...

And you save time if it is at your house!
2009-01-22 10:00 PM
in reply to: #1923716

User image

Regular
Los Angeles, CA
natebs - 2009-01-22 5:18 PM

Personally, I save the naked runs for outside: I make a ton of new friends that way!  :-)

2009-01-23 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1924093

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Steve Mark - 2009-01-22 11:00 PM

natebs - 2009-01-22 5:18 PM

Personally, I save the naked runs for outside: I make a ton of new friends that way!  :-)

haha....I'll let you guys run naked. I'll stick to my tri shorts...
2009-01-23 3:00 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
With attire, I belive layering is your best bet. For instance, when I ran last Sunday, it was about 38 degrees F and not very windy. I went out with a short sleeved base layer on top and a zip up long sleeved top so I could cover my neck if needed then unzip if I became warm. I had running tights on because I like to keep my knees warm due to past injuries. I also wore a running hat and had light gloves just in case. This seemed to work well.

For those running outside these days, how are you dressing?

Tony
2009-01-23 8:47 PM
in reply to: #1923346

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
tribesman - 2009-01-22 5:06 PM

Hey Team,

I hope all is well this week! I know it is more "end of the week" but I want to toss additional topics your way. With it being winter and all, our attire is different than say what we will train in over the summer. With that said, let's discuss clothing. Additionally, now is a great time to discuss time management in order to form those habits that will help make us sucessful the rest of the year. Also, with less daylight now, safety is a bigger concern. I know it is really 3 topics, but let's give it a shot.

* Attire
- Is layering or big and bulky the way to go?

* Time management
- A huge concern for triathletes, but life becomes "easier" when we plan

* Safety
- Mostly riding and running, but swimming counts too!

Let's hear your thoughts!!

Attire -- I love the layers!
If running outside I tend to go for capri type pants (unless under 30 degrees, in which case I wear the tights under longer pants. I tend to have a problem with my britches riding lower at the end of a run than when I began which isn't a big deal in capris - but in long pants I end up running on them (not good). I layer up top so that I can unzip and tie around waist if necessary. I got these awesome shirts at Wal-mart last year in the boys department (I think they are intended to be worn under a baseball uniform) but they work just like the Under Armour cold gear and really help keep me warm - which helps cut down on number of layers. Best part -- $9.00. Try not to wear gloves if can help it b/c hands get super sweaty if I do - unless seriously cold I pull sleeves over hands until warm up.

If riding outside -- still learning. Just got a pair of booties in the mail that I got off Ebay. Hopefully they will keep my toes warm. Otherwise - legging/tights, shorts, layers of tops to keep me warm and block wind, and of course - a hat for under helmet and gloves.

I truly believe in keeping warm. I am the girl that looksl like a bag lady going into the office b/c of all my layers. I don't even wear heels into the office but change into them when I get there b/c my feet get to cold with them on in the mornings. -- AKA - I'm a Florida girl.

Time management --
My life is all about time management. With two kids I try to get into as many routines as posible to expedite simple tasks and cut down on chaos. I am really good at multi-tasking so I try to plan ahead and coordinate certain things together for efficiency. BUT - don't get me wrong. We can't "live by the clock, die by the clock" - I truly believe that if you can plan ahead and use time wisely you can cut out the wasted time which in turn leaves more time for what you want to do and enjoy doing.

If something will take less than 2 minutes now - do it, b/c it will take you 10 minutes to come back and get it done later.

Safety --
are you talking about safety issues like don't talk to strangers or watch out for cars when crossing the road?

2009-01-24 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1926313

Expert
Atlanta, GA
swise - 2009-01-23 9:47 PM

Hey Team,

I hope all is well this week! I know it is more "end of the week" but I want to toss additional topics your way. With it being winter and all, our attire is different than say what we will train in over the summer. With that said, let's discuss clothing. Additionally, now is a great time to discuss time management in order to form those habits that will help make us sucessful the rest of the year. Also, with less daylight now, safety is a bigger concern. I know it is really 3 topics, but let's give it a shot.

* Attire

* Time management

* Safety

If running outside I tend to go for capri type pants (unless under 30 degrees, in which case I wear the tights under longer pants. I tend to have a problem with my britches riding lower at the end of a run than when I began which isn't a big deal in capris - but in long pants I end up running on them (not good). I layer up top so that I can unzip and tie around waist if necessary. I got these awesome shirts at Wal-mart last year in the boys department (I think they are intended to be worn under a baseball uniform) but they work just like the Under Armour cold gear and really help keep me warm - which helps cut down on number of layers. Best part -- $9.00. Try not to wear gloves if can help it b/c hands get super sweaty if I do - unless seriously cold I pull sleeves over hands until warm up.

If riding outside -- still learning. Just got a pair of booties in the mail that I got off Ebay. Hopefully they will keep my toes warm. Otherwise - legging/tights, shorts, layers of tops to keep me warm and block wind, and of course - a hat for under helmet and gloves.

I truly believe in keeping warm. I am the girl that looksl like a bag lady going into the office b/c of all my layers. I don't even wear heels into the office but change into them when I get there b/c my feet get to cold with them on in the mornings. -- AKA - I'm a Florida girl.

Time management --
My life is all about time management. With two kids I try to get into as many routines as posible to expedite simple tasks and cut down on chaos. I am really good at multi-tasking so I try to plan ahead and coordinate certain things together for efficiency. BUT - don't get me wrong. We can't "live by the clock, die by the clock" - I truly believe that if you can plan ahead and use time wisely you can cut out the wasted time which in turn leaves more time for what you want to do and enjoy doing.

If something will take less than 2 minutes now - do it, b/c it will take you 10 minutes to come back and get it done later.

Safety --
are you talking about safety issues like don't talk to strangers or watch out for cars when crossing the road?

Sandy,

Good information here! I'm going to comment more later but want to hear from the team too.

TEAM- have a great weekend of training. Be smart and safe out there!

Tony
2009-01-24 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran

No real comment from me, I wont run/ bike outside till it gets above 5 C (which is ussally almost April

I do agree with that layer is a must.

2009-01-24 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1927159

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
natebs - 2009-01-24 6:24 PM

No real comment from me, I wont run/ bike outside till it gets above 5 C (which is ussally almost April

5 C ???? Yikes! Having only resided in the south I can not imagine it! inside training until April? THAT is true dedication!
2009-01-25 10:53 AM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: attire

Hey Team,

* Attire

* Time management

* Safety

Time management --

Safety --

Yes, layering is the way to go and is your best bet usually. You can always peel off and like Sandy said, hold on to it or even safely ditch it. For instance, if you are running in your community you can swing by your house and toss the jacket or gloves if needed. I'd rather be a little too warm than chilly as my muscles respond MUCH better this way. I usually start with a base layer, especially on top, then go from there based on the weather. Don't forget a cap or something on your head as that's where a lot of heat can escape. Wool or thicker socks are also good I find when the weather gets COLD.

Re Sandy's good deals on attire too...I find now is a GREAT time to find sale items. I just picked up a running jacket and 2 pairs of running shorts at Target at 75% off. The are moving stuff out big time. Wal-Mart does the same and I have a few shirts from there too. I find they work well. Additionally, I find you can pick up your basic medium weight white gloves there for 88 cents. I have been known to "donate" these at aid stations at half marathons where the weather is chilly but warms up later in the race.

Sandy, you mention you don't like gloves very much when you run. Have you tried starting with them and putting them in your Fuel Belt (if you use one) or waist band? I will do this if I don't want to hold them. Or, I ditch them and come back for them later (and hope they are there!).

More later gang. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Tony
2009-01-25 8:13 PM
in reply to: #1927763

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Subject: RE: attire
[Sandy, you mention you don't like gloves very much when you run. Have you tried starting with them and putting them in your Fuel Belt (if you use one) or waist band? I will do this if I don't want to hold them. Or, I ditch them and come back for them later (and hope they are there!). ]

I took 99 cent hand warmers (those things you rub that generate heat) last time I went to an event that was cold enough. I think next time I will just take the cheapo gloves and ditch 'em once necessary.

Talking about layers - Today on my ride I dressed a little too warm and within the first couple miles I knew I need to get rid of something. I stopped at a local fire station on my route and they were happy to let me leave some stuff there. (I don't think the fireman particularly minded me stripping off layers to get to the one I wanted to leave there - I have a new friend.)

2009-01-25 11:06 PM
in reply to: #1928309

User image

Georgia Tech
Yeah today when  I went running I went out with gloves, mostly because they have a little pocket in the palm so I can keep my car key in there. But within the first mile I had to take them off and left them behind a tree and picked them up on the way back. The weather wasn't too bad this weekend. I biked in shorts and a jersey on Saturday. I'm excited for the spring to roll around. 
2009-01-26 7:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville

Hi Team!  I am back from all my inaugeral hoop-la..It was fun..Buddy had a membership at Lifetime Fitnes so I got to work out there all week..Wow what a nice gym!  It wass sooooo cold in the DC area I had to do indoor training all week..I really am proud of you folks in the frigid north who have to train indoors all the time  That is just beyond tough  Keep up the good work!

I layered and ran this weekend...For races I go to the goodwill and buy three or four sweatshirt, fleeces ($5 each) and leave them as a donation at aid stations.  I try to get nice stuff that can be donated easily and reused...

Speaking of layers are any of you Georgia folks going to do the ING may/halfmary in March?  We should try to meet up if you are.... 

2009-01-26 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran

Another cold weekend here, it hit -30 C with the windchill on Saturday. I was lazy yesturday and didnt do anything. Im worried about my right ankle, (the one I chipped in Sept) It`s getting sorer each week. I saw my doctor on Friday and hes sending me to a sports foot doctor. So we will see, I will keep you updated. Feburary I have planned to be a bike month so that should make it a bit beter.

2009-01-26 12:35 PM
in reply to: #1929138

Expert
Atlanta, GA
natebs - 2009-01-26 12:08 PM

Another cold weekend here, it hit -30 C with the windchill on Saturday. I was lazy yesturday and didnt do anything. Im worried about my right ankle, (the one I chipped in Sept) It`s getting sorer each week. I saw my doctor on Friday and hes sending me to a sports foot doctor. So we will see, I will keep you updated. Feburary I have planned to be a bike month so that should make it a bit beter.

Nate,

PLEASE be careful and keep us posted. Rest and rehab now = stronger later in the year.

Be smart...

Tony
2009-01-26 12:36 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: lessons learned
-So what did we learn over the weekend?

-Who met what goal(s)?

-Any set-backs? (I noted yours Nate )

-Any break throughs?

Tony

2009-01-26 2:51 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Sandy,

I think it must be a woman thing with the no gloves.  My wife won't wear them either and just pulls the sleeves (my shirt usually) over her hands.  Her entire body can be -10 degrees, but her hands are 300 degrees.  WEIRD.

ALL:

Here is my simplistic view on layering and dressing for winter. 
Biking - If you are warm standing waiting for the ride to start, you will be fine.  If you are cold, put on more layers

Running - If you are slighly cold when you are standing waiting for the run to start, you will be fine.  If you are warm, you will be taking clothes off.

Nathan - I think you need to find a winter home.

2009-01-26 3:56 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: safety

Hey Team,

* Attire

* Time management

* Safety

Time management --

Safety --

Sandy,

Re safety, I am mostly refering to doing things (or not doing things) that make sure you are not in harms way or are avoiding it as much as possible.

-For instance, it's smart to ride WITH traffic but run AGAINST it.
-When I ride, I also use a blinking light on my saddle bag if I am leaving early in the morning (when it is a little dark out) or if I even think I might be caught in the dark later in the evening.
-I use a light that's mounted on the front so I can see and be seen. http://www.performancebike.com/shop/sub_cat.cfm?subcategory_id=4322

-Reflective clothing is important too, especially in the winter and if you are alone.

Sandy, I saw that you carry something to spray people or animals too if you are in a dangerous situation...that's smart to me!

Hope this helps. I look forward the team's ideas too...

Tony
2009-01-26 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1927159

Expert
Atlanta, GA
natebs - 2009-01-24 6:24 PM

I will typically run in single digits (F) and ride above 32F.

Either way, cold is cold

Tony
2009-01-26 4:02 PM
in reply to: #1928309

Expert
Atlanta, GA
swise - 2009-01-25 9:13 PM

[Sandy, you mention you don't like gloves very much when you run. Have you tried starting with them and putting them in your Fuel Belt (if you use one) or waist band? I will do this if I don't want to hold them. Or, I ditch them and come back for them later (and hope they are there!). ]

I took 99 cent hand warmers (those things you rub that generate heat) last time I went to an event that was cold enough. I think next time I will just take the cheapo gloves and ditch 'em once necessary.

Talking about layers - Today on my ride I dressed a little too warm and within the first couple miles I knew I need to get rid of something. I stopped at a local fire station on my route and they were happy to let me leave some stuff there. (I don't think the fireman particularly minded me stripping off layers to get to the one I wanted to leave there - I have a new friend.)

Yeah, the el cheapo gloves work well! New friends are (usually) good too!

Edited by tribesman 2009-01-26 4:02 PM
2009-01-26 4:49 PM
in reply to: #1928622

Expert
Atlanta, GA
afrutoz - 2009-01-26 8:00 AM

Hi Team!  I am back from all my inaugeral hoop-la..It was fun..Buddy had a membership at Lifetime Fitnes so I got to work out there all week..Wow what a nice gym!  It wass sooooo cold in the DC area I had to do indoor training all week..I really am proud of you folks in the frigid north who have to train indoors all the time  That is just beyond tough  Keep up the good work!

I layered and ran this weekend...For races I go to the goodwill and buy three or four sweatshirt, fleeces ($5 each) and leave them as a donation at aid stations.  I try to get nice stuff that can be donated easily and reused...

Speaking of layers are any of you Georgia folks going to do the ING may/halfmary in March?  We should try to meet up if you are.... 

Welcome back! Sounds like you had fun.

I am doing the ING Half and I believe Ian (theiframe) is too. Sounds like a plan!

Tony

Edited by tribesman 2009-01-26 4:49 PM

2009-01-26 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Ever since Meredith Baxter I am a bit paranoid about going out by myself (doesn't keep me from doing it - I just try to be very mindful of my surroundings).

When I run (against traffic of course) I wave at everyone passing me in a car - usually 2x. The first is from a distance - it is my please notice me wave. I get off the road - atleast a foot or two onto the shoulder. The second wave is when they are right up on me - that is my thank you for not hitting me wave. If they don't make eye contact of any sort as they get closer and acknowledge me at all I get even further off the road b/c at that point I don't trust that he/she is paying enough attention to see me or doesn't care enough about me to bother paying attention so I am extra cautious. I started my two wave approach b/c someone did that to me and I really paid better attention as I got closer to them. Plus I tend to run on country roads and I want the people who travel out this way to have somewhat of a connection to the few of us who run out here. My community isn't "small" but we still have a fair amount of that small town feel.

2009-01-27 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Douglasville

Hey This if Off Topic BUT>>>

Swim School!

For those of you in Georgia who are near the West GA area I just found a new swim class at Boundary Waters in Douglasville.  Its from 6-7:30 am every tues and thurs.  Its a small class of swimmers and triathletes.  The best part is that it is only 50 bucks a month so that is basically less than 5 bucks an hour for swim lessons.  the coach is good with lots of attention paid to everyone.  You can shower and change in the facility and be in downtown atlanta by 9 am...The facitliy has a cardio room with treamill etc plus running trails if you want to do bricks on those days...

Just an FYI if anyone is interested...

2009-01-27 4:22 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Time management...
In regards to time management, here are a few things I do to ensure I am maximizing my training time to facilitate a balanced life.

- Plan ahead with nutrition. Your run calls for a nutrition plan of 2 gels and some water? Have the gels set out by your watch or shoes with the water in the fridge right up front. You have to mix your nutrition? Do it the night before!

- Attire...get it out the night before too. Who wants to fumble through a dark room at 5am looking for socks or a running hat? My first stop is the bathroom where my training attire is layed out, in order, ready to go. My snack or gels and water are next to my watch and HRM.

- Meeting a group for a ride or run? Leave early. This way you ensure you are not rushed and have everything you need for the session. (ie, you don't leave part of your nutrition or arm warmers behind....not that I would know from experience or anything )

What do you all do? I look forward to your responses...

tony
2009-01-27 4:30 PM

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Way to Go SANDY!!
Hello Team,

Great news to share!

Sandy (swise) WON her age group in a 5K on 1/10/09. Way to go!

I look forward to hearing more great news from everyone!

Tony

Edited by tribesman 2009-01-27 4:31 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tribesman's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 17