General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2010-03-14 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2724823

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida : Official Thread

So the race is sold out, that is awesome.

Edited by mdfahy 2010-03-14 10:31 AM

2010-03-14 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2725297

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
mdfahy - 2010-03-14 11:26 AM Great job Brian!  You are way ahead of me, I just did a 29 mile bike and 3 mile run, my first real brick Friday.  I rode 39 miles yesterday for my longest ride so far outside.  Making progress, but need more time on the bike.
Youre looking good.  The bike and run will be okay for me.  The swim is another story.  I am a terrible swimmer.  I can do the distance.  Today I did 2550 yards in 1 hour in the pool.  I am over 2mins and 26 for 100.  I am just going to insure I can do the distance by the cutoff of 1 hour and 10 mins.  This will be my first half and I have a full planned Beach to Battleship in November.

Good luck everyone!
2010-03-14 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2725415

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
Wow.  Is that the swim cutoff?  70 mins?

I had better get to work. Haha 
2010-03-14 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2725425

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
LanierSpots - 2010-03-14 1:59 PM Wow.  Is that the swim cutoff?  70 mins?

I had better get to work. Haha 

After the final wave start.  So I guess if you are not in the final wave start you have longer.  Here is what is posted on their website.
http://www.floridahalfironman.com/info.php
What are the course cut off times?
  • Swim: 1 hour and 10 minutes after final wave start
    Bike: 5 hours and 30 minutes after final wave start
    Run: 8 hours and 30 minutes after final wave start
2010-03-14 4:38 PM
in reply to: #2319164

User image

Champion
New York, NY
well with my knee out of commission for now, I am WAY behind on training - but working on swimming - all as pull sets for now....since I cannot do anything else....

my bike was going great until this happened, but I will make it through the race one way or another....
2010-03-14 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2725624

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
TriToy - 2010-03-14 5:38 PM well with my knee out of commission for now, I am WAY behind on training - but working on swimming - all as pull sets for now....since I cannot do anything else....

my bike was going great until this happened, but I will make it through the race one way or another....

What happened to your knee?

2010-03-15 6:48 AM

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga

Thanks for the info on the bike route.  I will be down in town for the event on Wednesday before.  I plan on a few short workouts before the event.  Id love to get a open water swim in.  Anywhere to do it?

Im half way through my training plan. I am using a 15 week plan.  Being my first tri, I have no idea if what I am doing is enough.  It seems like It should be but I just dont know.   I have a 1/2 marathon this weekend.  Also my first race.   Ive done a 5K but it was many many years ago.   I think I am ready for this weekend.  I am not fast but steady.  I have a few long runs under my belt now and feel ready for this weekends run.  I hear it will be very hilly but thats how most of my training is.  I live in a very hilly area.. 

I guess my biggest concern now is the difference in the temperatures with my training and the race.  I have read a bunch of race reports from last year and everyone is complaining about the heat during the event.  That one will be hard for me to duplicate here in the north ga spring

2010-03-15 6:50 AM
in reply to: #2725749

User image

Champion
New York, NY
[email protected] - 2010-03-14 7:12 PM
TriToy - 2010-03-14 5:38 PM well with my knee out of commission for now, I am WAY behind on training - but working on swimming - all as pull sets for now....since I cannot do anything else....

What happened to your knee?

pretty sure I tore my medial meniscus (I am a doc so this is an informed opinion) - playing paintball....a dive with a bad landing.  It has only been a week so I am ignoring my ortho friend's suggestion of an MRI because I don't want to confuse symptoms with pathology (ie if there is an old tear not causing these symptoms....)

so this race has turned into base building for me.....
2010-03-15 7:19 AM
in reply to: #2726232

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
LanierSpots - 2010-03-15 7:48 AM

Thanks for the info on the bike route.  I will be down in town for the event on Wednesday before.  I plan on a few short workouts before the event.  Id love to get a open water swim in.  Anywhere to do it?

Im half way through my training plan. I am using a 15 week plan.  Being my first tri, I have no idea if what I am doing is enough.  It seems like It should be but I just dont know.   I have a 1/2 marathon this weekend.  Also my first race.   Ive done a 5K but it was many many years ago.   I think I am ready for this weekend.  I am not fast but steady.  I have a few long runs under my belt now and feel ready for this weekends run.  I hear it will be very hilly but thats how most of my training is.  I live in a very hilly area.. 

I guess my biggest concern now is the difference in the temperatures with my training and the race.  I have read a bunch of race reports from last year and everyone is complaining about the heat during the event.  That one will be hard for me to duplicate here in the north ga spring

Yes there is a great place to do an open water swim called Lucky's Lake.  http://www.luckyslakeswim.com/
It is right beside Universal Theme park.  This is a doctor's house that sits on Cane Lake.  It is used daily in the early mornings and anyone can come.  I could meet you on Thursday morning.  I don't fly out until 5:55PM.  Weekday swims are at 6:30 AM.  If you are interested PM me and I will meet you.
2010-03-15 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Wilmington
I am getting super nervous it will my first HIM. I am doing my first Half Mary this weekend and then full steam ahead to get on the bike out side. I know I can finish the swim in 27m to 32ish minutes and the bike not sure how fast  because I have not riden that far before in race mode. My finish  goal is 6H:30 total  but want to do better. SO 30ish minutes  on the swim and lets say 3hours on the bike(thats what 16mph right ) and then 3 hours on the run thats like 14m.50sec pace per mile. So it might just get to the finsh with a smile.

Edited by Livestrong191 2010-03-15 8:30 AM
2010-03-15 10:54 PM

Regular
Great going everyone..!!!  The weekend long rides and runs are starting to get fewer and fewer as we get closer and closer...  Wow, my first HIM is almost here.  Had a very nice run event this past weekend where I ran the local Run 'O Luck 7k in 39:01.  Nice mental boost there.  Bike mileage is up in the 45mi per ride now and feeling better with a new Cobb Max V-Flow seat.  Need to work on road running miles and the swim is improving with 2000 and 3000m swims each week.  Been working on a simple progression each week with mileage trying to keep the potential for injury down.
Question I have is regarding race day nutrition...??  I've got some ideas based on past olympic tri's and some half and one full marathon, but I'm also trying to be ready to manage a hot day.  Any ideas?? 
Thanks very much.

2010-03-16 4:23 AM
in reply to: #2728254

adgradiology - 2010-03-15 11:54 PM

Great going everyone..!!!  The weekend long rides and runs are starting to get fewer and fewer as we get closer and closer...  Wow, my first HIM is almost here.  Had a very nice run event this past weekend where I ran the local Run 'O Luck 7k in 39:01.  Nice mental boost there.  Bike mileage is up in the 45mi per ride now and feeling better with a new Cobb Max V-Flow seat.  Need to work on road running miles and the swim is improving with 2000 and 3000m swims each week.  Been working on a simple progression each week with mileage trying to keep the potential for injury down.
Question I have is regarding race day nutrition...??  I've got some ideas based on past olympic tri's and some half and one full marathon, but I'm also trying to be ready to manage a hot day.  Any ideas?? 
Thanks very much.

hi

saw a lot of dehydration last year. i had lots of fluid. (except when i fell off my bike and forgot to pick up my bottles.) i froze my running bottles and they stayed perfectly cold until the run. (left them in a insulated bag) lots of endurolytes. 2-3 pills/hour. gu one every hour. that is what i did and i stayed hydrated.

don't forget a plastic bag for ur running shoes in case of rain on the bike. nothing like putting on wet shoes and running. it didn't rain last year but i was wishing. ;-0

and just remember to have fun!
2010-03-16 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Wilmington
Just a quick tip to cover your stuff if it rains .Get a mens  black plastic suit bag with the long zippers the ones you  get when you buy a suit with alittle clear plastic to see what the suit color is and stuff. Well you can put your towel and shoes and shocks and whatever you need in  it and when you come out the swim just unzip and stand on your towel wipe feet and just zipp up and off on the bike. You have your running shoes and socks waiting for you and IF it rains they will be dry  and nice space safer in T1 and no one can nocl your stuff off or move cause its zipped up in a nice package . Hope it helps
2010-03-17 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2726260

User image

Extreme Veteran
[email protected] - 2010-03-15 7:19 AM

Yes there is a great place to do an open water swim called Lucky's Lake.  http://www.luckyslakeswim.com/
It is right beside Universal Theme park.  This is a doctor's house that sits on Cane Lake.  It is used daily in the early mornings and anyone can come.  I could meet you on Thursday morning.  I don't fly out until 5:55PM.  Weekday swims are at 6:30 AM.  If you are interested PM me and I will meet you.

I may try and meet you guys for an early morning swim.  I have hte family down there for vacation so it will have to be early so I can get back for the Disney portion of the day.  Cooper, did you get your bike situation worked out?  I think you were the one looking for a place to store it right?  I could be wrong....
2010-03-17 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2731347

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
dewcubs - 2010-03-17 12:11 PM

I may try and meet you guys for an early morning swim.  I have hte family down there for vacation so it will have to be early so I can get back for the Disney portion of the day.  Cooper, did you get your bike situation worked out?  I think you were the one looking for a place to store it right?  I could be wrong....

Great memory.  Actually I have not got it worked out.  I was going to wait closer to the race to ask for some help.  I think you offered and I may take you up on it if the offer still stands.  It looks like we have two takers so far for the OWS.  The OWS is at 6:30 AM on weekdays and 7:45 AM on Saturday.  I don't think Lucky does anything on Sunday.  I will keep tabs on who is responding and send out the date time a week before people start showing up.  How is your training going?  PM me your email address and I will email you the information. 

Edited by [email protected] 2010-03-17 12:50 PM
2010-03-17 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2728445

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Livestrong191 - 2010-03-16 8:19 AM Just a quick tip to cover your stuff if it rains .Get a mens  black plastic suit bag with the long zippers the ones you  get when you buy a suit with alittle clear plastic to see what the suit color is and stuff. Well you can put your towel and shoes and shocks and whatever you need in  it and when you come out the swim just unzip and stand on your towel wipe feet and just zipp up and off on the bike. You have your running shoes and socks waiting for you and IF it rains they will be dry  and nice space safer in T1 and no one can nocl your stuff off or move cause its zipped up in a nice package . Hope it helps

this is a spectacular suggestion, as was the prior about putting your shoes in zip locks. In 2008 when I ran this race, I left my shoes & socks out while on the bike.  As luck would have it, it not only rained - it poured.  My shoes got soaked.  Whilst on the run, I became the proud owner of blisters that literally covered every inch of the bottom of both feet.  Made running on the trails extremely difficult and painful.  I learned my lesson the hard way!

2010-03-17 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
 We have three takers so far for an OWS on Thursday, May 13 @ 6:30 AM at Lucky's Lake by Universal Studios.
Dewcubs
Laniersports
[email protected]

Let me know if any are in town by Thursday AM or earlier.  We can also plan a bike or run for those arriving early.

Good luck!
2010-03-17 4:42 PM
in reply to: #2731600

User image

Extreme Veteran
[email protected] - 2010-03-17 12:49 PM
dewcubs - 2010-03-17 12:11 PM

Great memory.  Actually I have not got it worked out.  I was going to wait closer to the race to ask for some help.  I think you offered and I may take you up on it if the offer still stands.  It looks like we have two takers so far for the OWS.  The OWS is at 6:30 AM on weekdays and 7:45 AM on Saturday.  I don't think Lucky does anything on Sunday.  I will keep tabs on who is responding and send out the date time a week before people start showing up.  How is your training going?  PM me your email address and I will email you the information. 

Trying to find for training is the tough part.....managing but not real well.  I did get my first outside bike ride today though 
2010-03-18 6:14 AM
in reply to: #2732197

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Just keep plugging.  I know living here in Florida we have more opportunity to ride during the winter. Those up in the north central and northeast not so lucky.  We have 8 weeks.  This bike course is not  realy hilly.  It does have a few rollers on it but they are short and will come in the first 25 miles.  I would say that the biggest portion is flat.  The last 20 plus miles you won't see any hills.  
2010-03-18 6:22 AM

it's finally getting "warm" here. the towns finally got the sand and salt off the road. getting out after work today for a good bike ride. last year i was out in feb on the roads.

i am glad the "hilly" part of the bike course is in the beginning. at mile 33 is where the 1st hill is and i'll be ready this time. the rest is nice and rolling hills (by the farm) and then all flat.

2010-03-18 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Wilmington
I was looking at last years results and looks like alottttttttttttttttttt of people where doing 19 to 20mph avg on the bike finishing 2h30min +. For those who have practiced on the course  did you find yourself going at those speeds

2010-03-18 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2733141

User image

Veteran
Richmond
I noticed the same thing about the bike results, lots of speed (19-21mph).  This is the part that worries me the most since I have never done a ride at that pace, let alone for 56 miles. I just started biking indoors in Dec and riding outside this month.
2010-03-18 5:57 PM
in reply to: #2734173

hi

i was way slower than that. but this year i'm hoping to go a lot faster!!!
2010-03-19 6:07 AM
in reply to: #2733141

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Livestrong191 - 2010-03-18 9:55 AM I was looking at last years results and looks like alottttttttttttttttttt of people where doing 19 to 20mph avg on the bike finishing 2h30min +. For those who have practiced on the course  did you find yourself going at those speeds

I have done the course several times and avg high 18 -19 without going all out  About the effort I would use durning the race.  This course just has a few rollers and they are short about 2/10 to 4/10 of a mile.  You finish on a road that is Florida flat.  About 8 miles
2010-03-19 7:06 AM
in reply to: #2735069

User image

Master
Wilmington
[email protected] - 2010-03-19 6:07 AM
Livestrong191 - 2010-03-18 9:55 AM I was looking at last years results and looks like alottttttttttttttttttt of people where doing 19 to 20mph avg on the bike finishing 2h30min +. For those who have practiced on the course  did you find yourself going at those speeds

I have done the course several times and avg high 18 -19 without going all out  About the effort I would use durning the race.  This course just has a few rollers and they are short about 2/10 to 4/10 of a mile.  You finish on a road that is Florida flat.  About 8 miles

Well  mmm this changes my game plan all together. I was shoting for 6H30m max finish time to be safe but now I might even be looking at finishing under 6 Hours comfortably. Thank you
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 28