BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-01-18 5:20 PM
in reply to: #3256935

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed
majority of my training is done in the evenings after dinner around 8:30pm once work and family are all sorted. means i dont have to fuel for a session. On weekends when i get proper rides in i will go around 2pm so once again dont have need for food

Diet at present consists of a fruit salad for brekfast, soup or couscous with chicken at lunch, piece of fruit for afternoon with a low fat meal in evening of steak or chicken with rice or salad or dahl

2011-01-18 5:29 PM

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
sufferred my pet hate at the pool tonight, those mobile blockades who serenely swim at 1 length every 5 minutes while chatting 3 a breast while the spotty ten year old lifeguard stares at the ceiling wondering how long until he can go home. aaaagggghhhhhh!!!!!
2011-01-18 5:44 PM
in reply to: #3307339

User image

South Florida
trigal38 - 2011-01-18 6:15 PM
nvalaitis - 2011-01-18 3:42 PM

My workouts are in the afternoon after work. Everyonce and awhile i do a morning workout. I'm not training for a HIM or IM so my workout sched is pretty lax. The weekends is when i do my distance workouts.

As far as breakfast. mon-fri i have a plain bagel with strawberry jam or peanut butter, a handful of apple slices and my vitamins ( b-12 complex, O-3 fishoil, Glucosomine and chondr.. and a multivamin)
 Of course with coffee and  i drink water all day. The weekends i do 2 cups of oatmeal with fruit. I can never get enough food though. I'm 6'4" and weight a steady 194.  6.5%bf. I need at least 3,000 calories/day or else i feel my body going into reserve.

I don't take this but I noticed there is a coupon for this at Walgreens this week. Nope, it's a register reward for Joint Juice Glucosamine Chondroitin 20 oz. So you pay $10 for the bottle and then when you check out they will print out a $10 coupon that you can use in the store on anything. So basically they pay you back to try it. Just passing it along......

Oh awesome thanks! I always pay attention to Walgreens and CVS add's they are always having buy one, get one sales. Good looking out...
2011-01-18 5:55 PM
in reply to: #3305696

User image

New user
Leegoocrap - 2011-01-17 6:56 PM ITS POWER TEST DAY!!!!

Can't wait to test the FTP again (to all fairness we re-test about every month so it's not THAT exciting... well...actually it is)

It's really a love/hate thing. I hate feeling like I'm dying on a bike, but I love to see the numbers

What is FTP? Sounds like something fun if you feel like your going to die in a bike

Bike search is done. 52cm Black Cannondale CAAD 10 105 53/39 crank w/ aero bars, FF seat post and tri seat. Can't wait to switch to actual bike rides rather than the stationary cycle!
2011-01-18 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3307409

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
Andr3w - 2011-01-18 5:55 PM

Can't wait to test the FTP again (to all fairness we re-test about every month so it's not THAT exciting... well...actually it is)

It's really a love/hate thing. I hate feeling like I'm dying on a bike, but I love to see the numbers

What is FTP? Sounds like something fun if you feel like your going to die in a bike

Bike search is done. 52cm Black Cannondale CAAD 10 105 53/39 crank w/ aero bars, FF seat post and tri seat. Can't wait to switch to actual bike rides rather than the stationary cycle!

Congrats on the new bike!
2011-01-18 7:51 PM

User image

South Florida
Andr3w - 2011-01-18 6:55 PM

Congrats. Now get out there and ride!

2011-01-18 8:09 PM

User image

South Florida
So i love my DS Trainers, but the next day after my runs my soleus and calf muscle are sore. I stretch and roll the heck out of it but its starting to bug me.  I shortened my stride a bit and landed for midfoot. But still the end result is the same. Not sure where to go from here.

I switched to Newtons in March of 2010 and never had a problem with them. Towards the end of the season i switched shoes and started having problem.

Argh......
2011-01-18 8:33 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Andr3w - 2011-01-18 6:55 PM

Congratulations on the Bike, the CAAD series is one of the best bikes I've ever sat on. I've been eying a 9 myself for some time now.

FTP = Functional Threshold Power. At it's purest its the watts you can hold for 60 minutes, but to try and condense it and get a more realistic reading (an hour on the trainer at ftp would be a nightmare) you do a 5' all out, recover for 10', then do 20' @ as hard as you can go without your power level falling off at the end. It's a pita, but very useful for training (if you are using a power meter of course)
2011-01-19 7:25 AM

User image

Bronze member
Have fun with your new bike! I'm waiting for a call today to see if my lbs can get a 2010 felt B16 for me. Feeling a little hesitant to spend the money all of the sudden though.

Broke a swim barrier last night. 1:19 for a 100 Woo Hoo, but that hurt bad! I finished and my swim coach said "if you can do that you can do a 1:15". AAHHHHHHHHH - I told him that he wants more out of me than I want to give Wink.

Might need some inspiration this week as I'm trying to take a rest week. I rolled my ankle back in December and I still have a little pain at times. Want to start a 1/2 IM plan in February so I thought I should take this next couple of weeks to rest up a little and give the ankle a break. Turns out I have a hard time resting. When did working out just once a day become lazy for me? Triathlon has really messed with my brain......

Happy training everyone!
2011-01-19 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3308125

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
trigal38 - 2011-01-19 8:25 AM Have fun with your new bike! I'm waiting for a call today to see if my lbs can get a 2010 felt B16 for me. Feeling a little hesitant to spend the money all of the sudden though.

Broke a swim barrier last night. 1:19 for a 100 Woo Hoo, but that hurt bad! I finished and my swim coach said "if you can do that you can do a 1:15". AAHHHHHHHHH - I told him that he wants more out of me than I want to give Wink.

Might need some inspiration this week as I'm trying to take a rest week. I rolled my ankle back in December and I still have a little pain at times. Want to start a 1/2 IM plan in February so I thought I should take this next couple of weeks to rest up a little and give the ankle a break. Turns out I have a hard time resting. When did working out just once a day become lazy for me? Triathlon has really messed with my brain......

Happy training everyone!

Awesome! That's really hitting it hard

When I broke my Collarbone I was back on the bike before I had the staples out of my shoulder. I can say though, take it easy when it comes to the legs... get back to 100% before getting into a demanding program... there's nothing worse than getting close and then getting injured again
2011-01-19 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3307657

User image

New user
Ouch. Some days I do notice my calves being sore, but I think that is gonna come with the way I run. Have you always been a forefoot striker? The reason I ask is because my brother started to run with a forefoot strike and he always told me about how he would have soreness in his calves. Over time he has increased his distance with out them getting sore. 

I've also read that Newton running shoes give people the same problem. I personally did not like how the newtons felt on my feet. If have treated you well in the past I would stick with them. Wish they were priced a little cheaper though lol.

Bike shop was able to locate the only black CAAD 10 105 with the 53/39 crankset in the country at the moment. Should be in here in a week! I wonder if they will let me watch them assemble the bike to learn some bicycle mechanical skills.  

2011-01-19 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3309839

User image

South Florida
I've been a midfoot striker for the better part of a year now. Before the DS's i ran in Brooks Ghost. I like them, but they hurt my feet due to them being neutral, and me being a slight pronator. Guess i'll take is one day at a time.

Good luck with the new bike and be sure to post pics (which i'm sure you knew)
2011-01-19 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3309888

User image

New user
Looks like we have been trying close to the same shoes. I purchased the brooks ghost 3 as well and returned them. For me they had a little more cushion than I would like, but felt nice other than that. I went with the Brooks launch after that and have been using those in rotation with the ds racers. I now use my ds racers all the time with no issues. Only thing that sucks is when you step in any sort of water, you feet will get soaked due to the vents at the sole of the shoe.
2011-01-19 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3308125

User image

South Florida
trigal38 - 2011-01-19 8:25 AM Have fun with your new bike! I'm waiting for a call today to see if my lbs can get a 2010 felt B16 for me. Feeling a little hesitant to spend the money all of the sudden though.

Happy training everyone!

Way to own the swim!  Sorry about the ankle. I've been there before, and its not fun. Dont push it to hard on the running seeing as how its not back to normal strenth. Get one of those resistance bands to use and do some ankle exercises with that.
2011-01-20 7:29 AM

User image

Bronze member
Ankle is feeling much better. I think the rest is helping!
2011-01-20 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3310501

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
trigal38 - 2011-01-20 8:29 AM Ankle is feeling much better. I think the rest is helping!

Like Button

2011-01-20 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
I, too, had calf issues when i switched over to a minimal shoe.  Anytime you change the offset distance between the heel and midfoot you could run into problems.  Fortunately, most shoe companies now tell you the offset specs so you can make a more informed purchase decisions.

And a 1:19/100 is MIND BOGGLING to me.  Way to rock!
2011-01-20 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3311452

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
jeffnboise - 2011-01-20 1:45 PM  

And a 1:19/100 is MIND BOGGLING to me.  Way to rock!

That was my thought exactly! That is about 30s/100 faster than I can swim consistently. Amazing. Keep up the great work!

So I did a 5k TT with my club last night. Went out WAY too fast (4min/km...  I'm usually in the 4:45-4:50/km range...), and kinda suffered. Still finished in 23:12, but that is slower than my projected 5k time going on my 3k TT from December. A little bit disappointing, but hey, you live and learn, right? I know where I am, and where I have to go!

Keep up the great work, everyone. Been busy with work, hence my lack of involvement. Hope we are all doing super! 
2011-01-20 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3311495

User image

New user
I did the same exact thing when I was at the front of the pack for the first time in a 5k. My time dropped 45 seconds or so and it was a struggle the rest of the race after mile 1. 

Also had my running form looked at by the physical therapist who is a runner as well. Issues were my right foot is ducked outward a little bit before striking. I've noticed it myself and try to correct it, hopefully it will become natural after some time. The other issue was me not pulling my heel high enough. It felt really awkward attempting to do that in the treadmill because I just wanted to jump forward every time. I do notice that my heel will come up higher depending on how fast I run, but at 7.7 mph pace it felt hard without starting to hop. Other small thing is that I am landing slightly on my toes, but that goes down as a run longer.  

Unfortunately there was no information about pronation and what it will do in biking 
2011-01-20 4:00 PM

User image

South Florida

I didn't think the difference in heel heights is that significant. Which is probably why i didnt think of it. I'm gonna go for a run in my Ghost's this evening and see how they feel. Guess i should've taken it a bit easier in my DS's

There is a chart floating around online somewhere that gives the heights of shoes. I saw it awhile back but can think of where i saw it.

2011-01-20 5:54 PM

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
running is my weak point, mainly as i am heavier i tend to plod. Is there a "best way" to run or is it personnel choice and what people find comfortable 

what is the optimum foot strike, front, back , flat? 

tried the breathing in through nose on tonights run and have found i suffer from congestion while running so went back to purely mouth breathing. I see people wearing the nose strips, do they really help

2011-01-20 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3312185

User image

New user
MAC36 - 2011-01-20 6:54 AM running is my weak point, mainly as i am heavier i tend to plod. Is there a "best way" to run or is it personnel choice and what people find comfortable 

what is the optimum foot strike, front, back , flat? 

tried the breathing in through nose on tonights run and have found i suffer from congestion while running so went back to purely mouth breathing. I see people wearing the nose strips, do they really help

I guess the fad right now is the midfoot strike running and they say it is more efficient and less stress on you knees. There was a heal strike runner with me at my appointment, so I listened in to what his suggestions were. His issue was that the angle of his heel strike in relation to the ground was 33 degrees or so. The goal for him was to bring it down to a 10-15 deg angle. That as well as checking to see if your knee is locked out when you heel is hitting the ground.

As for breathing for you nose while running, I can't do that either. I just try to relax my breaths and make them smooth and long. I too would like to learn about the importance in through the nose while running.  
2011-01-20 7:10 PM
in reply to: #3312246

User image

South Florida
I was a heal striker last year then turned into a midfoot to forefoot striker. I know have less knee problems and don't feel the "shock" in my legs. I try to have my feet land under below my center of gravitity. Each person is has different strides and running styles to use caution.

2011-01-20 7:13 PM

User image

South Florida
So i went out for a short  run this evening and did so ins my Brooks Ghost and i didnt notice any calf pain. So i'm thinking that the DS's are a bit minimalistic than the Brooks. So it'll take some getting used to. But it looks like i'll be running in my Ghost for my half marathon next weekend. I ran the Marine Corps Marathon in them and didn't have problems until mile 23. So i will be good. I'm not racing or anything jsut a fun run with my brother who's coming down to visit. Should be a blast!

And tomorrow is Friday. What could be better!
2011-01-20 7:17 PM
in reply to: #3312315

User image

New user
Are you in the DC area by any chance?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22