BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-01-08 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3286065

User image

Expert
Canada
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL
Osfan4life - 2011-01-08 2:13 AM LOL @ aero boobs. Oh my stars, what a lovely group this is!

GoGoGo - thx for sharing the seasonal focus bit. I was doubting my run-focused winter training. I figure doing all 3 sports is probably best but I'm feeling good about just running right now. Last year I intended to do all 3 throughout training, but ended up focusing on swim because I was most nervous about that (my plan included 3 but I wouldn't skip out on swimming).  it improved confidence but overall fitness, not so much. i'ma stop beating myself up and say this is a good route startingggggg now. or now.

question - do yall run with or without music? i used to think i needed music to run. and yet, i have been running sans music for 11 weeks. it's been awesome - like i've removed music as my crutch. i had been doing really really well but started getting bored last week. changing my route didn't help the other day, but definitely helped today.  any other former music junkies struggle with this?

Aero boobs... I am gonna have to leave one to you ladies.  Definitely out of my "circle of expertise", however, I imagine wearing something like this would help.

http://www.hubpages.com/hub/Madonnas-80s-Cone-Bramaking-a-comeback

Re:  Winter/off season training.  Many concentrate on weakness, etc during the off-season.  Keep doing the other disciplines, but just to maintain.  Hopefully when spring arrives you will have made up for some weakness.  Then time to restructure plan for Tri-season. 

RE: Music  When I run alone, outside or dreadmill, I always have music.  iPod cranked!!  When doing group, Sunday run, tend not to, as we often chat & don't want to appear anti-social, although I probably am.Undecided  Nevertheless, I am trying!!

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-01-08 11:36 AM

2011-01-08 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

Memphis
Morning friends, need your help on this one! So today would be 7 days on with workouts. Have the chance to do 1:15 yoga level 2 today - it's a great class but def a workout! Next day off is looking like wednesday, tomorrow is bike 45 run 15ish. Should I rest today? How many days off are you all taking? FYI sprint tri is march 26. Still not registered - we'll see!
2011-01-08 10:47 AM

User image

New user

North Myrtle Beach, SC
I put my workouts for the past week on my log finally. I think its set so y'all can see it. They look really pitiful compared to yours though. I've been doing a short run/walk and then either a cardio workout video or cardio/ strength workouts on the Wii. I am going to try to do Hal Higdon's 5K walking program to build up my running endurance and hopefully get me to the point where running doesn't make me completely miserable. I had to modify it a little bit to fit around my work and school schedule. So here's my plan and I need your help to keep me accountable:

Sun: cardio workout DVD 45- 60 minutes
Mon: 30- 60 minute walk
Tue: Rest
Wed: 15 min run/walk + some other cardio 15- 30 min
Thur: 15 min run/ walk + some other cardio 15 - 30 min
Fri: rest
Sat: 1.5 mi
2011-01-08 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3286493

User image

Expert
Canada
pascullid - 2011-01-08 12:47 PM I put my workouts for the past week on my log finally. I think its set so y'all can see it. They look really pitiful compared to yours though. I've been doing a short run/walk and then either a cardio workout video or cardio/ strength workouts on the Wii. I am going to try to do Hal Higdon's 5K walking program to build up my running endurance and hopefully get me to the point where running doesn't make me completely miserable. I had to modify it a little bit to fit around my work and school schedule. So here's my plan and I need your help to keep me accountable: Sun: cardio workout DVD 45- 60 minutes Mon: 30- 60 minute walk Tue: Rest Wed: 15 min run/walk + some other cardio 15- 30 min Thur: 15 min run/ walk + some other cardio 15 - 30 min Fri: rest Sat: 1.5 mi

You're Back!!!! 

Don't stay away so long next timeWink 
2011-01-08 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3286471

User image

Expert
Canada
mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-08 12:37 PM Morning friends, need your help on this one! So today would be 7 days on with workouts. Have the chance to do 1:15 yoga level 2 today - it's a great class but def a workout! Next day off is looking like wednesday, tomorrow is bike 45 run 15ish. Should I rest today? How many days off are you all taking? FYI sprint tri is march 26. Still not registered - we'll see!

I plan my workout week with 1 rest day built in, usually after the hardest day, which is usually my Sunday Long run.  Hence I usually have Monday off. Although I plan 6 days exercise, it is often 5, because "life gets in the way".  Don't plan for it, but seems to happen.  

Some exercise 7 days per week & have "easy" days.  These tend to be pros & the very resilient.  I find that I need a day off for my body & my mind.  Don't want to resent the workouts, that is an easy way to quit.  This seems to work well for me.

I am a little older than many in the group, so take this into account.

JMHO

R

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-01-08 11:31 AM
2011-01-08 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3286557

User image

Memphis
GoGoGo - 2011-01-08 11:30 AM
mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-08 12:37 PM Morning friends, need your help on this one! So today would be 7 days on with workouts. Have the chance to do 1:15 yoga level 2 today - it's a great class but def a workout! Next day off is looking like wednesday, tomorrow is bike 45 run 15ish. Should I rest today? How many days off are you all taking? FYI sprint tri is march 26. Still not registered - we'll see!

I plan my workout week with 1 rest day built in, usually after the hardest day, which is usually my Sunday Long run.  Hence I usually have Monday off. Although I plan 6 days exercise, it is often 5, because "life gets in the way".  Don't plan for it, but seems to happen.  

Some exercise 7 days per week & have "easy" days.  These tend to be pros & the very resilient.  I find that I need a day off for my body & my mind.  Don't want to resent the workouts, that is an easy way to quit.  This seems to work well for me.

JMHO

R
Thanks that's really helpful! I did the yoga, and suspect I will fill limber tomorrow - we'll see! Great advice. I will shoot for one day off till i build the volume i need for the run and. Swim. Thankful I've picked a very easy flat course - hopefully ill be successful and this will be committed sport for a while!

2011-01-08 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Thanks for all the great feedback on what to wear on race day and the different kinds of laces for running shoes.

I can't remember who brought it up, but wetsuits are allowed in the 2 tris I've registered for.  I think they're almost a necessity in the tri I'm doing in June b/c it's an open water swim in the Atlantic when the water temp is only going to be around 60/65...  Brrrrr!!

I went to a spin class this morning and worked pretty hard.  I'm headed out in a few for my Saturday masters swim program and wishing I had taken it a little bit easier in spinning.  My legs are SO tired!  I'm going to be hurting tomorrow!!

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
2011-01-08 10:58 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Yawn.

Too much to eat tonight, yum.

Gotta get me outta bed at 5:30 for a 2.5 hour run.

I love the mp3 player. Always listen to it when running. Some people say it can distract from the workout, that you should listen to your body. I kind of agree. If I have a hard workout, near the end, sometimes, I will unplug it, however most of the time it just fades into the background and is not much of a distraction.
2011-01-08 11:15 PM
in reply to: #3286755

User image

Champion
Calgary
mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-08 12:47 PM

GoGoGo - 2011-01-08 11:30 AM

JMHO

R
Thanks that's really helpful! I did the yoga, and suspect I will fill limber tomorrow - we'll see! Great advice. I will shoot for one day off till i build the volume i need for the run and. Swim. Thankful I've picked a very easy flat course - hopefully ill be successful and this will be committed sport for a while!

The most important to thing for me is to make it a habit. For me that means 7 days a week. Usually it is 6, sometimes life gets in the way but rarely, I am of the rather lofty opinion that, "if I am too busy to run then I am too busy". I usually take a day off a week because my legs need a break, and that day that I don't run I feel that I am missing something.

For me, it is very easy for 2 days off to stretch to a week and then the habit is broken and then it feels as natural watching tv as it does running.
2011-01-09 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Canada
Well I had to know how my knee would respond to  run today.  Did about 6k.  At about 1, thought I would have to quit, but got better.

Now waiting to see how sore & swollen in becomes.  If no trouble, i'm going again tomorrow!

Quiet around here...everyone must be busy training!!!

2011-01-09 10:55 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
I missed 2 training days and I HATE it!  Friday by the time I got home from my fit and took my son to the barn to take care of his pig it was getting dark.  I thought about the trainer but figured I had all day Saturday to bike and get a run in.
I was wrong!  My son let me know he wanted to do a show 'he is raising a pig with FFA' Saturday at 5 I said fine, thinking I'd still have all day Saturday.  I found out at 11pm that he meant 5AM!  Yikes!  I'm still thinking I'll be OK because I think I'll be home by 12-1.  Not so much.  We rolled in at 7:45PM last night!  My husband had put my bike on the trainer but after sitting in the cold on bleechers for MANY hours I just didn't have it in me, I was exhausted!

Re:  Music - I used to always run with music and when I found out they didn't allow music in triathlon I was bummed!  Then I realized I ran better without music.  Sure, music was great sometimes to keep me going when I was tired 'must.make.it.through.this.song.'  But I also noticed when I listen to music my HR is higher and I cannot hold a good pace for very long.  I would go to fast, gas out and end up stopping.  I took a long break from music then I was going on a long run and thought I'd get bored so I took my ipod which I shut off sometime around mile 2.  It was just getting on my nerves and I realized it was more of a hinderance for ME. 
My husband runs with LOUD, FAST music and loves it, he does just fine but he is also pretty darn fast.
I will say I did a Turkey Trot with a friend and was disappointed in all the folks using music.  Nobody was talking, chatting or encouraging each other like people do in triathlons when they don't have ear buds in.  I was thankful I had my girlfriend to chat with but it still felt odd to be surrounded by hundreds of people and still feel kind of lonely and bored.

Re:  Rest days.  I rarely schedule rest days.  With 5 kids they just happen (see above).  I also consider swimming a rest day and yoga would be a rest day as well when I am close to a race.  In the weeks leading up to my HIM I had several 2 a days and weeks with no days off.  Obviously you need to listen to your body and rest/sleep is important for recovery but if it is activity that isn't truly stressing you'll be just fine.

Cold and rainy here today.  The plan is to spend some time on the trainer, go for a short run and then probably more time on the trainer.  WAHOO!

Edited by KeriKadi 2011-01-09 1:25 PM

2011-01-09 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
got in my run today!  It felt good...it is going to feel even better with the new shoes I bought afterwards!  I am so excited about them.  I decided that I am not going to train with my custom orthotic and they fit me w/some superfeet to still help my arches.  I am super pumped!!! 

Hope everyone had a good weekend!  I got 4 out of my 5 scheduled workouts for this week.  I feel pretty good about that since it is my first week back.  Obviously I take days off Wink I just need them mentally.  Sometimes I will still do something, but probably not until I really feel back into the swing of things!

I am really excited about our group and can't wait to hear about all our successes this winter!!!
2011-01-09 5:18 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
My workout summary the past week:

M: Spin class
T: Spin
W: Run
Th: Spin - missed/rest day
F: Swim on my own
S: Masters Swim and Spin Class
Su:  Run

That's pretty good for me!  I'm finding that logging my training sessions is very motivating.  And especially now that I have "friends" on BT who may be looking at my log! 
2011-01-09 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!  I've been working the second job the past two days and FINALLY had a day of today!!  Unfortunately, I have to change my goal for January.  It was originally to run EVERY DAY, but I'm fighting a calf issue and am going to have to take a couple of days off.  So, my new goal is to make it my highest mileage month every.  That means I have to run more than 60 miles this month, which should be doable!

The calf issue is hard to explain...the same thing happened last summer and I wound up getting an ultra sound because they were scared it was compartment syndrome.  Turned out everything was fine, but no explanation as to what's going on.  It hurts on the inside of my leg.  If you stand on tippy toes, where the muscle starts to bulge out is where it hurts.  I did find on the KT Tape site an wrap for posterior shin splints, which is about the best explanation I can find!  Oh well, a couple of days off won't kill me!! 

As for days off, I take waaaay too many and have to fix that!!  The goal is to not schedule any!  Triathlon training is so varied, that I  don't think you really have to take days off unless your body tells you too...or life gets in the way like it usually does!!

Music - I usually run with music, but I'm thinking about stopping.  The hubby thinks the reason I can't get any faster is the music I listen to is too slow.  I'm wondering if I try to just run, if I could start increasing my time! 
2011-01-09 6:23 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
So, kid up in the middle of the night and wouldn't go back to bed so 6 am run got shelved to 2:00 p.m. It was COLD though. only made 2.25 hours, and only 17k, the snow drifts, the wind, the snow.

So, this week, made 76.95k, so just short of my goal of 77k a week. I am calling it a success. Easy to make up that .05k down the road.
2011-01-09 10:00 PM

User image

New user
Hey all, hope you had a great weekend!  On Friday I did a 45 min. run at the gym and abs.  I was planning on going to my parents the next morning but because we were supposed to get snow I decided to leave that night, it's a 2 hour drive.  As a result I wasn't really in the mood to run Sat. morning, I had a weight watchers meeting, lost 2lbs and then did 1.5mi on the treadmill and some bicep and ab work.  Sunday I came back home and had picked up some boxing gloves (pink of course) and hitting mitts for my FI to wear since he's been working with me on lifting.  We got a boxing cardio session in and then worked on tris and chest!

BTW I've been updating my logs for the past week! 

2011-01-10 8:08 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
alright plan for the week.

Same as last week, lots of running and a bit of yoga. Would really like to get a 3 hour run in on the weekend coming up though.
2011-01-10 9:09 AM

User image

New user

First off, can I tell you all thank you?  Thank you for checking my logs, thank you for sharing your insight, thank you for the conversation!  And thank you so much for the inspires.  I have not figured out how to inspire you yet, but I truly look foward to reading them everyday. 

Anyway, on to less mushy stuff.  I do love love love my ipod.  I sometimes hear one of my songs on the radio and it makes me want to go out and run.  That said, sometimes a musicless break is nice.  A time to concentrate on form and speed.

My new Dolfin swimming suit came today!  I would totally be on my way to the YMCA if school wasn't cancelled for the crazy amount of snow on the ground.  Bleh.
2011-01-10 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3289040

User image

Veteran

Kristen8040 - 2011-01-09 10:00 PM Hey all, hope you had a great weekend!  On Friday I did a 45 min. run at the gym and abs.  I was planning on going to my parents the next morning but because we were supposed to get snow I decided to leave that night, it's a 2 hour drive.  As a result I wasn't really in the mood to run Sat. morning, I had a weight watchers meeting, lost 2lbs and then did 1.5mi on the treadmill and some bicep and ab work.  Sunday I came back home and had picked up some boxing gloves (pink of course) and hitting mitts for my FI to wear since he's been working with me on lifting.  We got a boxing cardio session in and then worked on tris and chest!

BTW I've been updating my logs for the past week! 

yea!  a fellow weight watcher!  I just started again last week and weigh in tomorrow.  I am totally loving the new points plus program...free fruit!!  Way to go on the 2lb lose!

2011-01-10 9:54 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Need some motivations? Here is a little thing I read every year around this time when I think of all those people who have started their new years resolutions and are just about to quit.

It is written from a bodybuilder perspective. Now I have never been a body builder but I relate to what the writer is saying.

It is a little vulgar......

The question is, what separates you from the person you were, or are, from the person you want to be.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sex_news_sports_funny_g...

2011-01-10 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  Sorry I was AWOL for a bit.  Was out of town for the weekend for a memorial service.  Didnt do anything this weekend but drink and eat poorly.  It's too bad that drinking isn't an activity that I can log .  My 20 min activity/day last week kinda went for a crap too.  On a positive note it is the start of a new week and i will redeem myself this week.  Also, physio thinks I may be able to try hockey next week.  Still no word as to when I can start back running.

Looks like I've got lots of catching up to do on this thread.  The little I've seen it looks like everyone's doing great work.  Very motivational to see how much everyone's been doing. I'm hoping it can rub off on me.

2011-01-10 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3284253

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

BigDH - 2011-01-07 10:11 AM And as long as we are bragging this is me running home last year. Huge accident on the main road, biked up for hours, so i pulled over and ran home.

Wow Darren.  You Albertans are hardcore

2011-01-10 3:16 PM

User image

New user

North Myrtle Beach, SC
I was feeling kind of bummed as I headed to work at 1 this afternoon because I missed yesterdays workout because of school work and missed today's because I did not manage my time well this morning. But as I was pulling out of my driveway my boss called and told me not to come in because they were closing early due to the bad storm. Normally I don't like missing work, but I was able to do yesterday's missed workout DVD and it felt great. Today was supposed to be my long walk day, but the only place to do that is on the beach and walking along the ocean in a ice storm wasn't going to happen. I'll get it in someday this week though.
Thanks for being so motivating. When I see how full y'alls logs are it makes me want to fill mine up too!
2011-01-10 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Well, I continued my journey into Slackard-dom today...

Knee swollen after run yesterday.  Had an MRI today...severe arthritis.  Nothing surgical.  Gotta wait for it to settle.  1 week? 2 weeks? 1 month? 6 months?  Who knows.

Cycling doesn't seem to bother it much, sooo, time to cycle.  Time to harden my softie-butt!!

Been thru this before with various injuries...nothing new...

Gotta say, not looking forward to it though...I like running Undecided 

R

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-01-10 5:07 PM
2011-01-10 7:50 PM
in reply to: #3290997

User image

Champion
Calgary
GoGoGo - 2011-01-10 4:06 PM

Well, I continued my journey into Slackard-dom today...

Knee swollen after run yesterday.  Had an MRI today...severe arthritis.  Nothing surgical.  Gotta wait for it to settle.  1 week? 2 weeks? 1 month? 6 months?  Who knows.

Cycling doesn't seem to bother it much, sooo, time to cycle.  Time to harden my softie-butt!!

Been thru this before with various injuries...nothing new...

Gotta say, not looking forward to it though...I like running Undecided 

R

That does bite. You take it very well. Hope it dies down soon.

How about snow shoeing of CC skiing?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35