General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2012-01-15 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3556416

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George : Official Thread
Booked a Las Palmas condo at Green Valley Ranch through St. George Vacation Rentals.  Arriving Weds eve, checking out Sun.  Will be a group of at least 3 racers from San Diego + sig others / sherpas.

2012-01-16 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
I'm here to start lurking!  My hubby's going to race St. G, and I'm going to Sherpa.  It's less than 3 weeks post-Boston, so I won't be in any shape to race, but I can't wait to come watch!!
2012-01-17 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3992860

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

velcromom - 2012-01-16 8:50 AM I'm here to start lurking!  My hubby's going to race St. G, and I'm going to Sherpa.  It's less than 3 weeks post-Boston, so I won't be in any shape to race, but I can't wait to come watch!!

Nice! You get to experience the best of both worlds. I had to choose between doing Boston for the second time or St. George for the first and I went with St. George. Good luck in Boston!

Brad

2012-01-19 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3959946

User image

Veteran
Dallas

bryancd - 2011-12-29 11:19 AM My coach has posted the info regarding the Jan. IMSG Training Camp. All are welcome! On Monday, December 26, 2011, Nick Goodman wrote: > If you are looking for a quick get away and a fun training camp please join us for the January St. George Training Camp.  We will be training on the Ironman St George race course, which is very beautiful.  This camp is not only for those doing Ironman in May but anyone can, and is encouraged, to attend.  Details below. >   > When: January 27-28, 2012 > Where:  Meet at The Multisport Training Center on Friday to leave by 7AM.  We will be car pooling and Durapulse will be providing the vehicles.  The drive to St. George takes about 6 hours.  Bring a lunch for yourself and some snacks.  We may stop but there are few places along the way.  We will stop by Sand Hollow Reservoir on the way to the hotel to view the Ironman swim course.  We will not be swimming in the lake at this camp as the water is too cold. >   > I have reserved some rooms at the Best Western Coral Hills in St. George.  The hotel is right by the T2 and the finish line.  The rate is $56/night and you have until January 13th to reserve your room to get this rate.  Their phone number is (435) 673-4844.  Mention that you are with the Durapulse group.  >   > After check in at the hotel the group will run 8-12 miles of the Ironman run course.  Immediately following the run we will drive to the indoor community pool for a 45 min swim session. Water slide is optional.  After the swim we will eat dinner at a local pizza restaurant. >   > Saturday will consist of riding one loop of the Ironman bike course (43 miles) followed by a short transition run.  After the bike/run we will have lunch and be in the car by 2PM to drive back to Phoenix.  We should arrive home between 8and 9PM on the 28th. >   > The cost of the training camp is $75 and does not include hotel or food.  Bring all of your swim, bike, and run triathlon gear.  The weather is similar to Phoenix but a little cooler.  There is a possibility of it raining, or snowing, so you will want to bring appropriate gear for all weather training.  >   > If you or anyone you know is planning on attending the camp please RSVP to this e-mail. >   >   > Nick Goodman > Durapulse Performance Company > 7624 E. Indian School #101 > Scottsdale, AZ 85251 > (480) 862-3076 > [email protected] > www.durapulseperformance.com >  

I'm debating a quick trip to SG on the 27th and 28th.  My logistics would have me in SG around noon on Friday and I have to leave around noon-1pm on Saturday.  My plan would be to ride the 43 mile loop on Sat afternoon and Sun am.  Depending on when this group goes out Sat am, I may join everyone.     

2012-01-23 12:18 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
We are heading up to St. George on Firday for our first of two camps. We are riding and running the course and swimming at the local aquatic center.
2012-01-23 12:46 PM

User image

Hopkins, Minnesota

This is my first Ironman and I'm starting to have some pain around my knee cap. I went to the doctor and she said it's irritation from the knee cap gliding out of place due to my core and glutes being weak during longer workouts. The soreness is happening during all workouts now but she said I could not do any permanent damage, I would just have to deal with the pain/soreness. She said the patella strap below the knee would not work because thats not the problem, she was right. Does anyone have any experience with this and does anyone have any experience using full knee sleeves or anything else. Just a little worried as I'm getting father behind in my training. Currently I'm icing/ibuprofen.  Thanks 

Craig

2012-01-23 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4006078

Talked a buddy of to fly out with me tomorrow morning to ride and run course for the next couple of days. We're leaving Fri. morning so will miss you guys, have fun.
2012-01-23 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4006152

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Craig820 - 2012-01-23 10:46 AM

This is my first Ironman and I'm starting to have some pain around my knee cap. I went to the doctor and she said it's irritation from the knee cap gliding out of place due to my core and glutes being weak during longer workouts. The soreness is happening during all workouts now but she said I could not do any permanent damage, I would just have to deal with the pain/soreness. She said the patella strap below the knee would not work because thats not the problem, she was right. Does anyone have any experience with this and does anyone have any experience using full knee sleeves or anything else. Just a little worried as I'm getting father behind in my training. Currently I'm icing/ibuprofen.  Thanks 

Hi Craig. It's been many years, but I had this once before. First, you've gotta get the inflammation down. The icing and ibuprofen is good, but if it means you need to take a few days off to get it really calmed down, you should. Second, you need to identify the cause. In my case, it was a muscle imbalance, which I understand is quite common. I would suggest seeing a physical therapist who can identify muscle weakness or other issues that are causing it. They can give you specific exercises to strengthen or loosen any muscles that need it. If seeing a PT isn't in the cards, do some searches online for patellar tracking problems and you'll see lots of information on common causes and suggested treatment. I still think it's better to get specific help with your specific problem, but whatever you do, don't try to just power through it without really understanding what is causing the problem. Don't lose even more time by guessing. Getting help will be better long term and you will arrive in St. George healthier and in better shape. Good luck!

Brad

2012-01-23 5:04 PM
in reply to: #4006709

User image

Hopkins, Minnesota
Thanks. I'm seeing a Physical Therapist tomorrow.
2012-01-23 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Craig820 - 2012-01-23 1:46 PM

she said I could not do any permanent damage, I would just have to deal with the pain/soreness.

Not sure if it's even close to the same thing but I have patellar tendinitis in my right knee which I managed to do in my younger stupider days, not sure if it's age or what but I still have issues with it to this day.  I guess I'm just trying to say, how do you know that you won't do any permanent damage.  Just proceed cautiously and don't do what I did 25+ years ago and think no pain no gain, or just keep working though it.  Take some time off if needed recover and get back at things.

Good luck

2012-01-23 10:19 PM

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah
Craig820 - 2012-01-23 12:46 PM

Craig

Craig,

I'm also doing my first Full Ironman and I have begun to have the same problem. I'm training at levels I never have before, so I was sure it was a matter of time before something started squeaking.  

I'm not sure where around the knee you're having pain, but mine is more on the outside of the knee and I think I've narrowed it down to IT Band Syndrome.  I've scaled back my mileage and intensity which is EXTREMELY frustrating, and doing some IT Band stretches and foam roller.

I am also curious if anyone has had this problem and what has helped. I would also be curious what your PT says.

Thanks

2012-01-24 5:52 PM
in reply to: #4007286

User image

Veteran
Heber City, UT/San Carlos, Mexico

Anyone follow the Facebook Q and A today?

I thought it was nice IM did this. I was surprised that many of the questions are so easily found in the IMSG website and racer info. Good that no one asked how long the race was I guess.

The only downer was that it was over before you knew it. They only gave it about a half hour and that was it. There were still a few solid questions left dangling when IM shut down.

Oh well. It was a little excitement for the day...

Edited by gwbuild 2012-01-24 5:52 PM
2012-01-24 6:26 PM
in reply to: #4009026

Veteran

I did check out the FB Q&A with the race director today after it was over. I agree it was nice they did that.

Just curious if anyone here has ridden both the St George and Lake Placid bike course to offer a comparison?

As of tomorrow we'll only have 100 days until race day! Gettin' excited!!!

Ryan

2012-01-24 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
For the folks with knee issues-I'm no doctor or anything close, but a couple things came to mind. Had a friend blow her knees up last year and these when she adjusted her bike training more in line to her experience she found some relief.

Have you ramped up hill work quickly?

Whatever level of hill work you are doing now, have you done this level before?

Are you mashing heavily, say, 50 cadence or below?

Standard or Compact? What cassette range?

Just some thoughts. I hope you each feel better and are back on track soon!!

2012-01-24 11:21 PM

User image

Hopkins, Minnesota

Thanks for all the replies. I talk to a PT today and she check me out. She agreed with the other doctor and said I wouldn't hurt myself in the long term. My knee cap is not tracking correctly and its causing irritation. She said as long as the discomfort is not PAIN then I can continue through my workouts, if it hurts I have to walk more. Ice? Ibuprofen. I switched my beginner triathlete program to five days a week to give a day off for long bikes and runs. Put to much time into this already and I'm not backing out now. 

Thanks again

Craig

2012-01-25 12:25 AM
in reply to: #4009026

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
gwbuild - 2012-01-24 3:52 PM

Anyone follow the Facebook Q and A today?

Yes, I saw it too.  Those questions were coming fast and it was nice of them to do it. A bit more time for answers and more specific answers would have been even more fun, but it was still good. I asked the question about the chip sealed roads and the air pressure and was hoping for more detail, but I guess I'll just have to wait until I see the course.

Brad

2012-01-25 9:37 AM

Veteran
100 Days!
2012-01-25 10:07 AM

User image

Regular
100 days indeed. Hoping everyone's training is going well.

tom
2012-01-25 6:35 PM

Hi all, I hope the training is going well with 100 days to go.

Is anyone considering changing their crankset for IM St. George? Perhaps a triple, perhaps a compact? I Have read a few threads, but it all seems to mainly be a matter of your own preference.

2012-01-25 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4009570

User image

Veteran
Heber City, UT/San Carlos, Mexico

Yes, I saw it too.  Those questions were coming fast and it was nice of them to do it. A bit more time for answers and more specific answers would have been even more fun, but it was still good. I asked the question about the chip sealed roads and the air pressure and was hoping for more detail, but I guess I'll just have to wait until I see the course. Brad

I've ridden the route a few times. I run about 105 in my tires. Never flatted. Haven't seen anyone else flatted while I've been out either and the Veyo loop definitely gets ridden on weekends.

The Chip seal is a mild annoyance and its pretty much just on the uphill portion before Veyo. I've ridden worse chip sealed roads... and better. Sure would be sweet though if the county added a nice smooth top-layer for the race.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just be able to self service on the ride JIC.
A friend of mine broke his chain last year and was down for about an hour waiting for assistance. Know basic maintenance and have a tool on you...

2012-01-25 11:01 PM
in reply to: #4011238

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
gwbuild - 2012-01-25 5:22 PM

Yes, I saw it too.  Those questions were coming fast and it was nice of them to do it. A bit more time for answers and more specific answers would have been even more fun, but it was still good. I asked the question about the chip sealed roads and the air pressure and was hoping for more detail, but I guess I'll just have to wait until I see the course. Brad

I've ridden the route a few times. I run about 105 in my tires. Never flatted. Haven't seen anyone else flatted while I've been out either and the Veyo loop definitely gets ridden on weekends.

The Chip seal is a mild annoyance and its pretty much just on the uphill portion before Veyo. I've ridden worse chip sealed roads... and better. Sure would be sweet though if the county added a nice smooth top-layer for the race.

Thanks. I tend to adjust my tire pressure a bit when I know I'm headed for chip seal just to lessen the fatigue from all those little micro-bumps. Nice to know it's mostly on the uphill.

2012-01-26 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Just signed up for IMSG this week. Psyched. First IM...slightly nervous.
2012-01-26 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

I was not able to swing the SG trip this weekend due to work.  I may try to fly over early March. 

I was looking over my plan (week 16/30) and this time next month I will be chin deep in serious hours.  I've got a few tweaks here and there so gotta stay healthy too.   

2012-01-27 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4012890

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

jhornebx - 2012-01-26 12:59 PM Just signed up for IMSG this week. Psyched. First IM...slightly nervous.

Welcome aboard! Don't worry, you'll be more nervous later. Kidding, kidding. It'll all be good.

Brad

2012-01-27 10:03 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Hey all, I am here in St. George. Weather is great, it was crazy windy today when we arrived in the early afternoon. There were white caps on the reservoir which we stopped and checked out. We then drove the first 21 miles of the bike course into town. Some long climbs and fast descents. In general it looks like it will ride fast and my coach who raced last year agreed. We then ran one full loop of the run course plus another trip on the diagonal road out and back. It's a dull course but it has very little elevation gain and ran very fast. I ran 11.6 miles of it at a 6:50 pace without too much bother. Shame we can't run the previous course, that looked killer! Riding 60 miles of the bike course in the morning and will check back on.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 32