General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-10-19 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3950313

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread
Cool thanks! That's good to hear because I really didn't want to be changing into my trisuit.

2012-10-20 7:14 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
I'm also considering wearing a swimsuit for the swim and then changing. I'm wearing a tri top and shorts for the bike/run (the padding in the shorts is way better than the padding in my trisuit for a long ride). The great thing about the top is that it's long enough to provide complete coverage on the bike (I'm long torsoed); the bad thing is that I'm afraid it would drag too much if I swim in it. Plus, I'm hoping to avoid some of the unfortunate chafing issues that seem to happen when I bike/run in wet clothes.
2012-10-21 1:21 PM

User image

Master

Unfortunate Chafing. When I grow up and start my rock band, that will be its name.

Went on a moderately long ride for the first time in about 3 weeks. Yikes! Glad to have done it, and looking forward to a few more, but a little bit of a slap in the face.

On the good side, I ran a TON last week (for me).

Countdown is getting closer!!

2012-10-21 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4462380

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
eliwashere - 2012-10-21 2:21 PM

Countdown is getting closer!!

Definitely closer! can't believe it! 

speaking of shafing- hate having those boils...lack of saddle time. oh well!

My wife was denied vacation time for the Coz.. she put in request more than six months ago...bunch of crap! I am sure it will all work out..

Trainer time for me tonight.. long bike ride Monday and long run on Tuesday... the rest of week is short hard stuff... not following any kind of plan or anything, just doing what I can with the little time I have to spare... worked last year, hoping it does the same this year. So looking forward to tomorrow getting my new Flo Wheels.

I hope everyone is doing well, pushing hard, and whatever you do, stay healthy until the start of the race. The rest will come... see you guys soon! 

Anyone hit the panic button yet?

Thomas

2012-10-21 9:36 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

I feel great!!!

3 hour long run yesterday (16.3 miles, yep, I'm slooow!) and 100 miles on the bike today. My first ever 100 miles, and I did it all solo since all my riding buddies either bailed on me or were running the Columbus Marathon!! It went well, although my brain goes to all sorts of crazy places when I'm in the saddle for THAT long without someone to talk to. That, and I could've done without the miles of stupid country roads made of paved gravel crap - anyone else have to deal with that?

I wanted to get a 100 mile ride in before the race, and today may very well have been the only day left in the year where I'll have enough warmth and daylight to be out for that long. The weather was GORGEOUS. It's supposed to be Indian summer weather this week (and I can't bail on work to ride longer; I thought about it and I have too much important crap going on this week) and then cold and nasty by the weekend.

I'm elated about how well the ride went. I was tired from the run but the ride was solid. However, now I feel like I've peaked too early and don't know what to do with myself for the next two weekends. I'm ahead of my training plan, which doesn't even have a 3 hour run/6 hour bike for two more weeks. I do NOT want to do hours and hours on the trainer, ugh. Not even with movies. I hardly have the attention span to even sit and watch a movie like a normal person. I may do some sort of a spin class/run/spin class/run/bike (or trainer)/run brick next weekend. Any other thoughts???

Golfpro, I hope your wife's employer gets some sense knocked into them!!! That's just ridiculous!!

2012-10-22 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4461592

User image

Veteran
Georgia

runk8run - 2012-10-20 8:14 AM I'm also considering wearing a swimsuit for the swim and then changing. I'm wearing a tri top and shorts for the bike/run (the padding in the shorts is way better than the padding in my trisuit for a long ride). The great thing about the top is that it's long enough to provide complete coverage on the bike (I'm long torsoed); the bad thing is that I'm afraid it would drag too much if I swim in it. Plus, I'm hoping to avoid some of the unfortunate chafing issues that seem to happen when I bike/run in wet clothes.

Unless you are trying to qualify, I would recommend changing. For me, a couple of extra minutes in T1 and T2 is worth being a little more comfortable in all three disciplines and avoid any chafing issues, particulalry coming out of the salt water. If you roll your clothes up and practice changing out of your transition bag, you can do it with minimal time loss. Also, there are usually volunteers around that can help.

2012-10-22 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

Here's what I get to work with for the week. Gonna make the most of the fantastic training weather....then Friday (my usual off day), and then....the crappy weather. Then I'm gonna freeze my a$$ off, and I have a feeling that I won't see those nice temps again until Cozumel.

10 Day Forecast

Updated: Oct 22, 2012, 9:07am EDT

Today Oct 22

Partly Cloudy

79°F

55°F

Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain:
20%
Wind:
S at 9 mph

Tue Oct 23

Partly Cloudy

79°

55°

Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain:
20%
Wind:
SSW at 12 mph

Wed Oct 24

Partly Cloudy

79°

52°

Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain:
10%
Wind:
SSW at 10 mph

Thu Oct 25

Sunny

79°

55°

Sunny

Chance of rain:
0%
Wind:
S at 10 mph

Fri Oct 26

Isolated T-Storms

76°

53°

Isolated T-Storms

Chance of rain:
30%
Wind:
SSW at 7 mph

Sat Oct 27

Showers

57°

42°

Showers

Chance of rain:
40%
Wind:
NNW at 9 mph

Sun Oct 28

Few Showers

50°

37°

Few Showers

Chance of rain:
30%
Wind:
NNW at 10 mph

Mon Oct 29

Mostly Sunny

53°

36°

Mostly Sunny

Chance of rain:
0%
Wind:
WNW at 12 mph

Tue Oct 30

Cloudy

48°

37°

Cloudy

Chance of rain:
20%
Wind:
W at 11 mph

Wed Oct 31

Rain / Snow Showers

49°

39°

Rain / Snow Showers

Chance of rain:
30%
Wind:
W at 12 mph
2012-10-22 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4463114

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
cwsiii - 2012-10-22 9:34 AM

runk8run - 2012-10-20 8:14 AM I'm also considering wearing a swimsuit for the swim and then changing. I'm wearing a tri top and shorts for the bike/run (the padding in the shorts is way better than the padding in my trisuit for a long ride). The great thing about the top is that it's long enough to provide complete coverage on the bike (I'm long torsoed); the bad thing is that I'm afraid it would drag too much if I swim in it. Plus, I'm hoping to avoid some of the unfortunate chafing issues that seem to happen when I bike/run in wet clothes.

Unless you are trying to qualify, I would recommend changing. For me, a couple of extra minutes in T1 and T2 is worth being a little more comfortable in all three disciplines and avoid any chafing issues, particulalry coming out of the salt water. If you roll your clothes up and practice changing out of your transition bag, you can do it with minimal time loss. Also, there are usually volunteers around that can help.

Not at all trying to qualify. I'm only planning on changing post-swim; my shorts and top will be good for the bike and the run. I may actually save some time since I can just keep my nutrition in my top/shorts pockets and put them on, instead of having to mess with it after the swim. (Don't want to share my gels and cliff bars with the fishies!!!)

2012-10-23 2:50 PM

User image

Key West

Ok, nervous now.  Joined a couple locals that are racing in Cozumel on a ride this morning and they tell me they have three weeks of 22, 23, and 24 hours of training with two weeks of taper while I have 12 and 18 followed by three weeks of taper.  They are on a Dave Scott IM Intermediate plan while mine is a BT beginner plan.  We all have been about the same skill, but now I figure I need to add another big week and cut the taper down to 2 weeks.  Any feedback from you "elite" folks out there??

PS, I know the three week taper was going to kill me and I would probably sign up for some other "great idea" so less taper may be safer.

2012-10-23 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4465840

User image

Master
HeatmizerKW - 2012-10-23 2:50 PM

Ok, nervous now.  Joined a couple locals that are racing in Cozumel on a ride this morning and they tell me they have three weeks of 22, 23, and 24 hours of training with two weeks of taper while I have 12 and 18 followed by three weeks of taper.  They are on a Dave Scott IM Intermediate plan while mine is a BT beginner plan.  We all have been about the same skill, but now I figure I need to add another big week and cut the taper down to 2 weeks.  Any feedback from you "elite" folks out there??

PS, I know the three week taper was going to kill me and I would probably sign up for some other "great idea" so less taper may be safer.

Don't worry about other people's plans. Trust your plan.

A big week for me is 12-13 hours, and I think I averaged closer to 9 getting ready for Cozumel the first time. I finished happy in about 12:37.

3 weeks of taper might be a bit much, but it really depends. If you taper is a rest week and two weeks of graduated less volume with increased intensity, it isn't a big deal.

Once you get within 3 weeks of the race, it is really about staying fit and letting your body get stronger as you rest. Not much improvement to gain during that time.

2012-10-24 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4465910

User image

Key West
You are probably right.  I need to heal a ligament behind a knee and I doubt much more than what I have planned will amount to much.  The two I was talking to don't have much of a life outside their training and I am in the middle of Fantasy Fest here in Key West!  Weather is starting to turn down here...breaking 80 at night.  Cozumel should be perfect in 30 days.

2012-10-25 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4465910

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
eliwashere - 2012-10-23 4:24 PM
HeatmizerKW - 2012-10-23 2:50 PM

Don't worry about other people's plans. Trust your plan.

A big week for me is 12-13 hours, and I think I averaged closer to 9 getting ready for Cozumel the first time. I finished happy in about 12:37.

3 weeks of taper might be a bit much, but it really depends. If you taper is a rest week and two weeks of graduated less volume with increased intensity, it isn't a big deal.

Once you get within 3 weeks of the race, it is really about staying fit and letting your body get stronger as you rest. Not much improvement to gain during that time.

Get to that starting line healthy! I am with ^^^Eli^^^ - three week taper is a bit much.

I would like to know after the race, what were their times after spending that many hours training. It would definitely be interesting. 

2012-10-25 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA

Imagine a horse derby commentator saying, " Down! the stretch here they come! "  Literally, here we go!

I finally got my a** out of bed and ran at 5 am with a few peeps from the tri club this morning. They ran only a 5k - I went on and finished a little after an hour. Nothing quite like running in the pitch black night with plenty of cloud cover. 

I am hoping for an hour tonight in the trainer.. hope everyone is pushing forward!

Thomas

2012-10-25 4:08 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

One month ya'll!!!

I did a 51 minute bike/1 hour run brick this morning. It was fab. Masters tonight. Cozumel seems so close, yet still so far away!

My training plan has a 3 week taper. The workouts during the week stay about the same, but the long ride/run gets progressively shorter. I'm planning on seeing how I feel two weeks out and adjusting accordingly.

I'm walking around in a permanent fog and I can't imagine ever NOT being tired again, but I'm sure that will change in a few weeks once I'm cutting back a little. Yawn. At least the crazy mood swings are gone, probably because I don't have the energy for them anymore.

Hope everyone's safe and healthy and strong!!

2012-10-26 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
It was soooo nice to get outside for a bike ride this week...in fact.... out for 2 ...a 50 k and 58k.
2012-10-26 11:31 AM

User image

Master

Easy week for me so far. My knee has been bugging me, so less running than last two. Of course, I am running the Marine Corps marathon this Sunday, so that should keep the averages up.

I did the same thing two years ago before Cozumel, so it shouldn't have too much of an adverse effect on my training. Not running for a PR, just a long, well supported training day.

2012-10-27 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4470610

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
eliwashere - 2012-10-26 12:31 PM

Easy week for me so far. My knee has been bugging me, so less running than last two. Of course, I am running the Marine Corps marathon this Sunday, so that should keep the averages up.

I did the same thing two years ago before Cozumel, so it shouldn't have too much of an adverse effect on my training. Not running for a PR, just a long, well supported training day.

Good luck!!!! I have several friends that are there. I'd love to run it someday.

I just did my first ever triple brick. The weather is kind of crappy for biking today, but I worked with what I had and pushed the intensity on the indoor rides. Result was a 1 hour spin class/45 minute run/1 hour spin class/1 hour run at IM pace/2 hour trainer ride/45 minute run. It was a bit tough mentally, but holy crap, that last run felt great! I felt like I could've kept going all day!! I even took :30 per mile off my IM pace run without realizing it.

I promised my husband I'd take an extra day off tomorrow so we could have an entire weekend day together for the first time in I don't know how long. I actually feel like I could work out tomorrow, but I will keep my word to him!! I'm feeling good about the IM and I think, if all goes well enough the day of, I'm looking at a 14-15 hour finish, which would make me MORE than happy.

2012-10-27 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4470610

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
eliwashere - 2012-10-26 11:31 AM

I have IMFL in about 6 days - I'm going to call that my last long before my IMCoZ taper(all be it I have a half marathon at Disney the week after IMFL). Did this last year and it was not so bad but I think next year it might not happen this way.

Edited by aintaround 2012-10-27 5:05 PM
2012-10-29 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4471940

User image

Master
aintaround - 2012-10-27 4:59 PM

I have IMFL in about 6 days - I'm going to call that my last long before my IMCoZ taper(all be it I have a half marathon at Disney the week after IMFL). Did this last year and it was not so bad but I think next year it might not happen this way.

Ooh, what race at Disney?

I like that there are other crazy people out there.

The Marathon was great. PR'ed in 4:17:07, which made me happy. Left leg is a little sore today, but going to get a massage should help.

This will be my last real training week, as I am traveling the next two. Hoping to find a pool and treadmill in Tokyo for next week and should be OK in Chicago the week after. However, it will mess up my heat acclimatization something fierce.

Looking forward to Cozumel!!

2012-10-29 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4473242

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
eliwashere - 2012-10-29 8:32 AM

The Marathon was great. PR'ed in 4:17:07, which made me happy. Left leg is a little sore today, but going to get a massage should help.

This will be my last real training week, as I am traveling the next two. Hoping to find a pool and treadmill in Tokyo for next week and should be OK in Chicago the week after. However, it will mess up my heat acclimatization something fierce.

The Wine and Dine (it's at night). If there is a Disney World race I am there - The Goofy in January is awesome - 

2012-10-29 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4473242

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
eliwashere - 2012-10-29 8:32 AM

I used to Travel a lot myself (cut back to just the East Coast corridor and Caribbean). It's tough going international and keeping up on training, props to you for being able to stay with it. Now the only time I want to go West of Californa is Hawaii.

Tokyo should be decent (weather wise), Chicago....Late August is my end date for for there....

2012-10-30 7:13 PM

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
We ended up dodging a bullet with Sandy. We were lucky enough not to lose power and no damages. The wind was brutal last night. The last two days have been the trainer in the pain cave. This afternoon a swim and tomorrow morning a good run with some of the guys from the club. Really not looking forward to the run as temperatures will be in the 30's and rainy. I might hit the treadmill if it is raining.... Hope everyone is doing well!!!!! Cozumel!!!!!!!!!!
2012-10-31 12:15 AM

User image

Veteran

I wish race day was tomorrow.... ugg ing through right now

2012-10-31 12:16 AM

User image

Veteran
glad to hear everythings good Golfpro....we had a bit of wind and rain but not much as she was down graded alot before getting here, been raining lightly for about 3 days now....
2012-10-31 8:34 AM

User image

Key West
Pinch me, i am peaking
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 16