BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-01-21 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4002483

Fairfax, VA
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed
KatNWater - 2012-01-20 7:26 PM

It is official!  I have put down my $225 + $16.95 processing fee, and I am registered for the Gulf Coast Half IM.  Surprised  I don't know whether to be happy or scared!!

|,,|, (>_<) ,|,,|

2012-01-21 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3955221

Fairfax, VA
Happy Saturday Everyone!

I had my bike plans hijacked this week by a work deadline - five 12-hour days are not so great for training. I managed to get my swim & run workouts in, but by the time I got home, the last thing I wanted to do was work on the bike.

I did go to the bike shop today and picked up a bunch of cleaning supplies, lube and tubes, so I have *zero* excuse for tomorrow.

Yeah I'm officially adding to the cold weather complaints. What started out as snow last night ended up as an inch-thick coating of ice this morning. I promptly declared it a rest day and went tf back to bed. It's really depressing when you see snow/ice and the first thing you think of is a past injury. BLAGH.

2012-01-22 5:54 AM
in reply to: #4002483

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

KatNWater - 2012-01-20 7:26 PM It is official!  I have put down my $225 + $16.95 processing fee, and I am registered for the Gulf Coast Half IM.  Surprised  I don't know whether to be happy or scared!!

Yay!  How exciting!  Don't be scared.  If I can do it you can do it.  You just have to find a training plan and stick to it.  You'll do just fine.

2012-01-22 6:15 AM
in reply to: #4003043

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Tambo1221 - 2012-01-21 10:38 AM

Group question:  How important is it to follow these plans exactly?  Like tomorrow I'm supposed to have an "off" day but the weather is supposed to be pretty awesome and I want to take advantage of a long ride outdoors with a group.  Its a long ride - longer than what is the suggested amount is for me in my plan.  But, I've gone out with this group before and every time I have I seem fine.  But, I've not done it while being this dedicated and sticking to a plan so well.  I'm guessing the worst that can happen is I'll be a little more sore than usual.  I know this may seem like a silly question - but I dont want to be so sore and perform so poorly the next week - just because my body is trying to heal itself. 

Second group question - is anyone following a nuturion plan for training?  I find I'm beginning to feel more hungry lately.  I have what I would call a healthy diet (except I drink entirely too much red wine).  Just curious what has worked for some...

Third - how much of a difference is there btwn a diving wetsuit and a wetsuit made for triathlons?  I have a diving shortie and full suit...body glove (so certainly not expensive ones).  Btw - did I mention I detest trying to put on a wetsuit?  Any tricks with these things?

1. Don't worry so much about changing up a plan...escpecially if it's to add in a fun group ride!  As you first start up with training, it's hard to tell how your body will react to different training stresses which can make it hard to decide how much to alter a plan.  The more experience you get the easier it will be to figure it all out.  I'll try and put together some tips and tricks for changing up a training plan.

2. I don't follow a specific nutrution plan.  My general plan is to try and get 6-8 servings of fruits and veggies every day.  I add lean protein and carbs on top of that.  If I have a long or hard workout coming up I might add some more simple carbs about 2-3 hours before I workout.  I don't eat clean all the time...I have a slight addiction to beer and pizza...but I do try to keep it healthy at least 90% of the time.

3. A triathlon wet suit is different than a diving wetsuit.  A tri suit has thinner and more flexible neoprene at the arms to make it easier to swim.  My guess is you can swim in a diving suit but your arms and shoulders are going to be more easily fatigued.  If you feel like you're going to need a wetsuit for open water swim race you can look into wetsuit rental.

2012-01-22 6:30 AM
in reply to: #4003150

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
iron_penguin - 2012-01-21 12:11 PM

Hey all - what's on YOUR playlist?

I only use headphones when I'm running on the treadmill.  I'm a music geek so I've got about 10,000 tracks on my iPod.  Generally, I use the "shuffle all" feature and just let the iPod make the playlist.  I'll offer up a few suggestions if you're looking for some new running music.

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - funky and fun.  If you ever have the chance to see a live show..GO!  One of the best live acts I've ever seen

Joan Jett - I never get sick of Joan.  Never ever ever. 

Rodgrigo y Gabriela - instrumental guitar work.  Seems an odd choice, I know, but their music has a perfect driving beat to run to.  Here's a video of them performing live for NPR so you can see what I mean.

Ok...i'll end my music geekery with those three but if you want more suggestions just let me know.  I love making mixes so if you're super nice to me I might make up a Goonie's running mix and mail it out to those who want one.

2012-01-22 6:40 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Hey Gang.  Sorry I was MIA yesterday.  I had a wee bit of the plague and spent the day on the couch/in bed.  Not sure what was going on but I was exhausted and quesy.  It was like having a hangover but without having had all the drinking fun the night before.  Of course, after sleeping all day, I was awake by 5:30 this morning.  I would love to get some housework done but The Dude is still sleeping soundly so I'll have to put off vacuuming for a few more hours.

I bummed to have missed a run and a swim yesterday.  Despite feeling so puny I still had to talk myself out of trying to get in a 5-mile run.  I think I can officially say I'm addicted to running.  I've got a 7-miler on the schedule today.  I might bump it up a few miles if I'm feeling good.  We got a big dump of snow Friday night but temps are going to be up in the 40s today.  I think I might throw caution to the wind and hope that the sidewalks are clear enough for an outdoor run.  I really don't want to spend any more time on the treadmill this week.

2012-01-22 7:22 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

A few basic thoughts about modifying a training plan:

When changing up a training plan the most important thing to consider is intensity of workouts and how long you need to recover from said intensity.  One of the number one things to keep in mind - Don't schedule two intense workouts for the same day.  You don't want to do run intervals in the morning and then try to do bike intervals that night.

Tips on scheduling two-a-days: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1709

Most plans have a rest day scheduled but it's not a neccessity.  If you need to move a workout to the rest day it's no big deal.  Again - pay attention to the intensity of the workout and what you've got coming up the next day.  It's OK to drop the intensity of a workout so that you can still get out and train the next day. 

Keep notes about what works and what doesn't.  Scheduling, intensity and total volume are all factors that can be manipulated to fit your needs.  In the end, a plan is just a suggestion.  It's a grouping of workouts to help you get from point A to point B.  You are ultimately the only one who can say whether or not a plan is working for you.  If you're constantly skipping workouts because you can't fit them into a busy schedule or if you have trouble recovering from intense workouts then you need to look at some other options.  If you've only got 6 hours a week to train but you're looking at a plan that has 8-hour training weeks then you need to modify or look at another plan. 

There are going to be growing pains involved in picking/building a plan that is right for you.  The reality is, XYZ has to fail to work for you in order for you to find out that XYZ doesn't work for you.  Keeping notes on your training helps you to avoid making the same mistake twice.  As an added double bonus, what doesn't work right now might totally work later on.  Again - experience is key.  The good news is that there are lots of experienced folks that can help guide you through the growing pains.  While what works for me might not 100% work for you, my experiences can at least help point you in the right direction.  There is nothing more frustrating than floundering around in the dark looking for the light switch.  If you're feeling lost, ask questions.  Someone might not be able to tell you about all the obstacles that stand between you and the light switch but they can at least tell in what general direction to head.

This is all very general info.  If you've got specific questions or would like some more specific ideas about moving workouts around post your questions here and we can work through them.  (Or, if you'd prefer, you can send me a direct message and we can work through a specific issue in private.)

2012-01-22 12:27 PM

New user
Woolwich, Maine

My favorite time to go for a run is about 15 minutes after I roll out of bed.  That being said, it was -4 outside at 7:30 this morning when I got up.  so I waited, did some grocery shopping and by 11 it was 22 outside (perfect winter running weather to me).  The yack traks worked wonders this morning and I got a 5 mile run in.  I have a 10 mile race in a few weeks... the most I've run is 6 miles.  If I can do 6 I can do 10 right!? 

My goal for the week is to get to the pool at least twice.  It is time for me to step up my training.  We have a gym at work that I will finally break down and go to and use the bike and treadmill. 

Wetsuits... I found it easiest to put it on like I would tights.  "Roll" the legs down, get my foot in and the leg as high up on my leg as possible.  Then I roll the legs of the suit up.  I try to do the same for the arms.  I rented last year and I think I'll buy this year.  Renting is a good way to go if you only need it once, and if you rent from a store they can help with how to put it on. 

2012-01-22 12:34 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Hope you're feeling better today, Emily!

It was supposed to get up to 40 today, but then the weather turned a bit so instead I ran my 7.7 in freezing drizzle. But still, it was warmer than last week's run, so win win win.

I heart Rodrigo y Gabriela, but I had never thought to run to it. Hmmmm. Almost makes me excited for my treadmill run on Tuesday morning. Almost.

Off to get some weekend work done. See y'all tomorrow!
2012-01-22 1:13 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Just wanted to check in real quick. 

Since the wife will not back til late tonight, I had to resort to working out at home, so that meant two spin workouts yesterday and today.  Yesterday I pulled up the 2011 Kona race for about an hour and a half.  Today I biked while watching the first two hours of the bike leg while the kids watch word world and super why  Damn those pros are freaking fast!!! 

Now running out the door to let the kids burn off some steam at the park. 

Happy Sunday all,

Joey

2012-01-22 6:09 PM
in reply to: #4003168

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
iron_penguin - 2012-01-21 11:27 AM

Nutrition - I am pretty sure red wine and dark chocolate belongs on the nutrition plan for triathlon, but this is an area I would be interested in learning more.  I need to drop 10 lbs, but have the right kind of fuel for the intense workouts.

I agree with Emily on the eating 6-8 small balanced meals a day.  One word of caution - need to make sure they are of the right portion and balance.  You can easily overeat if you don't watch what you are eating.  Low fat protein, veggies and low impact carbs.  I used this type of meal plan to shed 120 pounds in 2010.  I uploaded my before and after photos.  Once you get the rhythm down you will not want to each a bunch because you know you are going to have something again in a couple hours.  The approach I took was from Bill Phillips, who has been a long time fitness guru.  He started and owned EAS and was the fitness guy for the Denver Broncos.  His books are (Body for Life, Eating for Life and Transformation).  I have given you a link to his approved food list from his website.  http://www.transformation.com/pages/nutrition 

I hope this helps and let me know if you want any suggestions on menu items  I would say a major staple of mine was a modified taco salad.  Chopped Romain lettuce, cup of whole wheat rice, ground lean turkey, small amount of drained and rinsed black beans, some chopped tomato, avocado and cilantro with some home made salsa on top, YUMMY!

Joey

2012-01-22 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4004876

User image

this information is very helpful - all things we know, just needed a good reminder.  I love recipes, so this is a great resource.  We train as athletes - swim, bike, run, lift weights, race, participate, etc., but it's time to remember to also eat/fuel as athletes.  Thanks for the motivation - I'll keep you updated!

2012-01-22 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4003043

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Tambo1221 - 2012-01-21 10:38 AM

Second group question - is anyone following a nuturion plan for training?  I find I'm beginning to feel more hungry lately.  I have what I would call a healthy diet (except I drink entirely too much red wine).  Just curious what has worked for some...

The food question is tough, I have been getting hungry at odd times, can't figure out the correlation to the workout. best thing that I was recommended and it seems to work is go for protein when this happens, either a high protein bar, a protein drink or simply a handful of nuts. It curbs the hunger pretty fast with minimal calories and providing your body with building block to repair itself after workouts. but that modified taco salad sounds mighty tasty!

Thanks for the advice Jeff, I think I am definitely going to try a clip on bar, at least until I figure out my commitment to tris and get a tri bike. I noticed that in pedaling I have been dropping my heel on the down stroke, not sure if this is unconsciously trying to get more power or what, I'll get my pedals this week and maybe a spd type pedal will help? I'll keep an eye on it though.

I didn't have time on Saturday to work out although I was feeling better, I did get around to finally installing the bar from the ceiling in the basement for my jungle gym xt straps, so future workouts have some options... Today I got to the pool and had a good work out except for shaking out some of the sicky muscle blahs.

Hope everyone else had a great day.
2012-01-23 7:43 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Happy Monday, folks!

Thanks for the nutrition info. I'm slowly working back to clean eating (and have lost 8 pounds since the beginning of January - I have a lot to lose, so that's not so much).

Today's plan is a little bike and/or a little strength after work today. Recovering from yesterday's long run - which didn't go so bad at all.
2012-01-23 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Got in a really good elliptical workout this morning. my goal this week is to do a couple more elliptical workouts, 1 5k run, 1 spin or road work out and 1 swim workout before the weekend. I've never done all three in one week before and I really want to feel like I'm training for a tri! Hope everyone else is successful in getting off to a good start this week.
Cheers
2012-01-23 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that after the HIIT workout (High Intensity Interval Training) on Friday; I was a total WRECK over the weekend; sore neck, achy back, calves so tight I could barely walk.  I don't remember hurting like this when I was in my 30's.  Anyhow, my schedule is pretty tight this week, with kid birthdays, soccer, wrestling and foul weather.  Gotta try to get into the man-cave tonight for some spinning.

2012-01-23 10:37 AM
in reply to: #4004876

St. Louis
Joeyj1974 - 2012-01-22 6:09 PM
iron_penguin - 2012-01-21 11:27 AM

Nutrition - I am pretty sure red wine and dark chocolate belongs on the nutrition plan for triathlon, but this is an area I would be interested in learning more.  I need to drop 10 lbs, but have the right kind of fuel for the intense workouts.

I agree with Emily on the eating 6-8 small balanced meals a day.  One word of caution - need to make sure they are of the right portion and balance.  You can easily overeat if you don't watch what you are eating.  Low fat protein, veggies and low impact carbs.  I used this type of meal plan to shed 120 pounds in 2010.  I uploaded my before and after photos.  Once you get the rhythm down you will not want to each a bunch because you know you are going to have something again in a couple hours.  The approach I took was from Bill Phillips, who has been a long time fitness guru.  He started and owned EAS and was the fitness guy for the Denver Broncos.  His books are (Body for Life, Eating for Life and Transformation).  I have given you a link to his approved food list from his website.  http://www.transformation.com/pages/nutrition 

I hope this helps and let me know if you want any suggestions on menu items  I would say a major staple of mine was a modified taco salad.  Chopped Romain lettuce, cup of whole wheat rice, ground lean turkey, small amount of drained and rinsed black beans, some chopped tomato, avocado and cilantro with some home made salsa on top, YUMMY!

Joey

Just checked out your before/after pics. That is awesome!! I have tried to lose just 20 pounds the last two years. I lose 10 then gain 10, then lose again and gain again. Currently on the down swing (down in pounds) right now, but I need your kind of commitment. Thanks for sharing.

2012-01-23 12:44 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Thx Jamie,

Quick question to the group regarding the various levels of membership on BT.  Does it make sense to become a bronze, silver or gold member?  I'm not sure if it is worth the investment.  Any ideas on that?  I need to formulate a training plan based on some summer races I will sign up for and wondered if the paid plans are worth the money. 

I will also need to put a training plan in place for the 10/21 HIM.  I guess the typical plan is for 20 weeks, so that one will need to start around the week of June 4th (if I counted correctly). 

Heading to the gym right now for a 1/2 hour swim then 3 mile run.

Joey

2012-01-23 5:44 PM
in reply to: #4006147

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

I am a gold member but don't really use the available training plans.  I paid the money mostly because I wanted to support BT.  While I haven't specifically used a training plan from the site I have used the plans available to get ideas about how to build my own training plan.  If you are comfortable with a plan that just gives you a number of minutes to workout per sport per week then you'll probably be OK with the free membership.  If you like a more detailed plan (you'll get specific instructions on how to perform a workout) then you might consider looking into at least the bronze membership.

Another option is to go to your local library and take a look at some training books to see if something fits the bill.  There are plenty of books out there that offer plans of several different levels for each distance.  Do an amazon or google search to get an idea of the more popular books and then see if your library carries them.

2012-01-23 5:49 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Hey everybody - just a quick check-in before I head out to the Purdue Women's B-ball game.  It looks like everyone is off to a good start to the week!  I failed to reach all three of my goals for last week so this week I'm looking to get back on track.  I'm keeping everything easy-peasy this week because I'm racing a nighttime, trail half-mary on Saturday.  I'm thinking I should probably end up with at least 25 miles of running, two easy trainer sessions, and I WILL get to the pool this week!

It sounds like lots of folks are trying to work on nutruition.  Does anyone have any specific questions?  Something they'd like to learn more about?  Maybe we can do a favorite recipes share to help everyone get some new cooking ideas.  Let me know what you think!

2012-01-23 9:51 PM

Fairfax, VA
Hi gang - hope everyone's weekend was great!

Today was full of win! I was seriously draggin' this morning, but forced myself out for a lunchtime run. It was cold and drizzly, but after 10 minutes of discomfort on the treadmill, I did my 3 miles outside. Aside from some icy portions, the run was great.

Plus I cleaned up the bike, she's more sparkly than ever. Now I'm all ready for my swim + trainer tomorrow. I'm actually looking forward to being a little saddle sore on Wednesday...!

About nutrition - any other vegetarian athletes here?

2012-01-23 10:09 PM

Middle Tennessee

Joey - I would love to see the before/after pictures.  Being technology cursed - and I believe the curse has something to do with the fact that my DH is a computer genius, and we have to keep the powers in balance - I can't find where you have them posted....

Nutrition - I have committed to 5 "perfect" weeks.  I understand that perfect is impossible to obtain, but I have done 5 weeks being completely on plan before, and I can do it again.  I also think that If I work really hard for the next 5 weeks, I will be able to set a final weight goal, and be close to done with the losing phase, and that is a goal I want badly.  

In that light I would love to swap some recipes.  I feel like I am out of new ideas, and new, interesting healthy food sounds pretty appealing right now.

Here is a quick snack that I just love

Turkey Avocado "Roll"

Half a cucumber lengthwise and remove seeds (I leave the skin on, but you can peel it if you prefer

On half of the cucumber put 2 oz of deli turkey breast and 1/4 of an avocado cut in thin slices.

sprinkle with a tiny amount of salt and pepper.

Calories - 163, Carbs - 9g, Fat - 8g, Protein - 13g

My seat arrived today, and I spend a couple of hours getting it on and positioned just right, along with hopefully finally fixing all of my derailuer issues.  Rode for 1:15 and averaged a 13.5 mph (assuming my trainer info is accurate)  The best news is that I am up almost 1 mph avg. from just last week,  so I am definitely seeing improvement on the bike in a really short time.

2012-01-24 8:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
got in a quick 30 min elliptical this morning nice and easy though, I'm getting some sore muscles in my neck and back, probably from swimming and sitting still at the computer all day but don't want to exacerbate it. and I finished putting cleats on my shoes and new pedals on my bike, spd pedals are very different to clip into that the mountain bike ones, I'll definitely need to practice, not a problem getting out at least. Can't wait to try them out! Anyone else?
2012-01-24 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4007275

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
KatNWater - 2012-01-23 10:09 PM

Joey - I would love to see the before/after pictures.  Being technology cursed - and I believe the curse has something to do with the fact that my DH is a computer genius, and we have to keep the powers in balance - I can't find where you have them posted....

Nutrition - I have committed to 5 "perfect" weeks.  I understand that perfect is impossible to obtain, but I have done 5 weeks being completely on plan before, and I can do it again.  I also think that If I work really hard for the next 5 weeks, I will be able to set a final weight goal, and be close to done with the losing phase, and that is a goal I want badly.  

Kat - all you have to do to see the pictures that someone has posted is click on their name above their avatar (joeyj1974).  That for sure is one of things the site can improve upon.  I probably should at least join bronze as Emily says to support BT..

I'm with you on the goal of being 100% dialed in on nutrition for the near future.  I told my wife just yesterday, that we are not going to eat anything outside of my approved foods until our B-days (Mid March)..  We will then go to Mortons or something like that as a treat for the hard work. 

Edited by Joeyj1974 2012-01-24 9:39 AM
2012-01-24 9:36 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Finally had the energy to get out of bed at 5 AM to get my workout in first thing this morning.  I now feel good it is behind me and I can enjoy the rest of the day..  Hit a spin class then finished off with a quick and light upper body and abs. 

Planned Nutrition - Going to be hard as I'm heading to the airport shortly (Salt Lake City  Snowy and cold for the next couple days.

1 - Egg white sandwich with green chili on whole wheat toast - done YUMMY

2 - Cup of fat free Greek Yogurt with a 1/8 cup of blue berries

3 - Grab a six inch turkey sandwich stuffed with veggies - prob subway

4 - Banana & Light Muscle Milk Protein Shake

5 - Grilled fish, steamed veggies with small plain baked potato

6 - Not sure

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23