Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-05-21 12:48 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
Originally posted by SSMinnow Since the ribs are displaced, I can workout normally so long as I can tolerate it and I don't change form doing it. The avoidance of the TT bike is strictly to make sure I don't fall again in the early healing process. Mentally, I need to get back on that bike though. Every time I drive by the spot where I dumped, I cringe and relive it. Need to get past that. Dino has even offered to come up and ride with me. It''ll be like having my own pro cyclist there to give me guidance and moral support!

I don't know about that, but the offer still stands! Anything to get you back on the Parlee and training the way you want ........... I know somebody that has some unfinished business still lingering on the IM-Moo course from last fall??

2013-05-21 6:37 PM
in reply to: Nadscats

User image

Master
Maryland
Originally posted by Nadscats

Hello, my name is Nadine. I live in Vancouver, WA. Decided about 5 years ago I wanted to do a Triathlon, but could not swim. Took swimming lessons and completed my first spint that year. I have done about 5-6 sprints, 1 olympic, 2 HIM, (Boise, Barbs Race), and did IM Canada 2011. They ran out of water on the course and...stung by a be 10 miles from bike finish (allergic), after a long delay, got going again and missed bike cut off by 4 minutes. I was crushed and gave up on everything, never going to do a Tri again, until....they gave all the dnf's a free entry for either 2012 or 2013. Decided this was my chance for a do-over. Everything happens for a reason, right? I have put much more training in this time and hope to be ready. So far this year I have done 2 sprints, several challenging bikes and I have an 81 mile this Sat and a Century next weekend. I am not gifted in any of the 3 sports and usually finish about bottom 3rd of the pack, but excluding IM CA, I ALWAYS finish and give it everything I have.

Right now I am going through the "am I doing enough", "am I going to be ready", etc., the "mental chaos" so thought being part of a group might helpful for me.

Welcome Nadine, you sound like one tough girl. I am impressed with your positive attitude!
2013-05-21 11:51 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

New user
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes and inspiraton. Today was a rainy cold day so got my new bike fitted, (my seapost went through the frame on the old one) and ordered all the extras needed. Ended up doing 70 min spin class and some strength training. Felt really good today and positve about my training. Have a great evening!!

Nadine
2013-05-22 7:06 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
I can't figure out how to make a post without replying to someone else. Help!

For those of you who are new, every Wednesday, you will see two questions from me. The first will ask if you are racing this weekend, and the second will be a general question. Please take time to quote and respond to the weekly questions--it keeps things lively and it keeps our post count up--yes, we are competative about EVERYTHING

It's that time.......Who's got racing plans this weekens? Tell us all about it. What's your plan to crush the course, reach your goals, and have some fun along the way?

(ok, now I need help with changing the font and adding color. grrrrr)

Question of the week: What's the best race you've ever done, and what made it so good? Was it the location, the organization, the goodie bag, the pr you set, or the obstacles you overcame?

P.S. Are we going to be planning a MG race this year? Suggestions?
2013-05-22 10:38 AM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Hey all,
I have been lurking while recovering. Welcome all the newbs. I will not be racing this weekend good luck to all that are. I haven't done many races to have a favorite yet so I will try and pick one By the end of the season. I am starting to feel less and less pain and getting anxious to get back on the training.
Suzy I am sorry to hear about your Injury. I am wishing you a speedy recovery.
2013-05-22 10:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Hey all,
I have been lurking while recovering. Welcome all the newbs. I will not be racing this weekend good luck to all that are. I haven't done many races to have a favorite yet so I will try and pick one By the end of the season. I am starting to feel less and less pain and getting anxious to get back on the training.

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Hey all,

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Originally posted by jfought

For those of you who are new, every Wednesday, you will see two questions from me. The first will ask if you are racing this weekend, and the second will be a general question. Please take time to quote and respond to the weekly questions--it keeps things lively and it keeps our post count up--yes, we are competative about EVERYTHING

It's that time.......Who's got racing plans this weekens? Tell us all about it. What's your plan to crush the course, reach your goals, and have some fun along the way?

Question of the week: What's the best race you've ever done, and what made it so good? Was it the location, the organization, the goodie bag, the pr you set, or the obstacles you overcame?

Hey all,
2013-05-22 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

Hey all,
2013-05-22 10:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

sorry about that it was saying page could not be displayed
Hey all,

Edited by mbehr1983 2013-05-22 10:51 AM
2013-05-22 12:49 PM

User image

New user
Hi all, my favorite race was Barb's Race (associatd with Vineman, Northern CA) in 2009. It was my first HIM and had no idea what to expect so there was no pressure. The swim was in the Russian River which is only about 4ft deep so no panic in the water, could always stand up if I needed. The ride was beautiful, passing by all of the Vineyards, rolling hills, and not knowing how to pace, I just took it easy and never looked at mph. The run was challenging (hot), but the support from the people that live there was great and they all had thier hoses out to cool you down. The expo was also one of the best, several vendors and lots of free stuff, (all about the free stuff). Finished in 7:39 and felt really good afterwards. The apparel for the event was also some of the best looking I have seen. Would love to do ths one again.

No race this weekend, just a long (81 mile) training ride.

Nadine

2013-05-22 1:16 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I am sad that they dumped the formatting for the forums. It still exists for the logs!!! One more thing to add to the pile of things I don't like about the new site.

No racing here!

I have two best races and they both qualify for the same reason. Race #1 is the Green Bay marathon back in '07. It was the best because it was the first time I BQ'ed after attempting so many times. The race itself is small but that day it was the best race in the USA. Felt like a million bucks from start to finish! Race #2 is Ironman Wisconsin 2010. It was awesome for so many reasons, but most especially it signaled that even with swim demons from nearly drowning I could pull it together to finish with a time much better than I expected. Of course it was/is also awesome because it's in my home town so I have a lot of crazies to cheer me on to finish (especially Dino and the man!).

There has been no talk of an MG encounter that I am aware of. What's up with that?

2013-05-22 4:12 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa

No racing, just easing back into a bit of cycling.

My favourite race was my first City 2 Surf in Sydney. It's the world's biggest fun run with over 85000 people taking part and the course winds through the nicest bits of Sydney along the Harbour then up a very long steep hill up to the top of a cliff with magnificent views back to the Opera house and bridge and ahead to the ocean. After that there's a few more hills then a downhill to Bondi Beach where you finish. It's great!!! All the way along there's live bands playing and people having parties in their front yards and even though its Winter it's nearly always bright ans sunny.
My pre-race routine always involves a cappuccino in a cafe before I line up for the start!
2013-05-22 4:13 PM

User image

New user

Not racing this weekend... or anytime soon, for that matter.

My favorite races to do are the Disney ones, just for the atmosphere, but the one I'm still excited about is the Women's Half Marathon in San Diego this past February. I went down with the family but ran it with some girlfriends of mine. Flat course, beautiful weather and we all PR'd (mine was 1:47:39). My running has dropped off significantly since then, so I need to find something soon to get my motivation going again. I've been loving using my training time for learning how to swim and bike, though!
2013-05-22 4:17 PM
in reply to: JillB

User image

New user
Welcome, Nadine!
2013-05-22 9:19 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

I think Mike took your comment about post count pretty serious!! Gave you 6 more posts right off...NICE!

No racing here. I will be spreading mulch - that counts for something right?

Favorite race? Probably the Skunk Cabbage half marathon from a few years ago. Nothing special about the race in general but it is my 13.1 PR and probably the last time I felt fast! Need to get that feeling back.

All of my tri's have been local. Want to branch out on that next year. Thinking about a Rev 3 race and/or Beach to Battleship half.

2013-05-22 9:47 PM

User image

Master

Yeah, where'd the pretty colors go??? Hmmm...

No racing here. And I cannot, for the life of me, figure out a favorite race. But as I narrowed them down, I realized that every contender had a common theme, and that was racing with someone I love!!! I ran two marathons and a HM with my (now deceased) father-in-law -- those were my faves!!! But wait! I've run some incredible races with my daughter (two 5Ks, a 10K, a 15K) -- THOSE were my mostest favoritest!! Oh wait!! My marathon PR with my BFF from college -- best race ever!!! Ooooh, super fun HIM in Victoria with my girlfriend Heidi, yeah!!! Trail races w/Steve and RP, HM earlier this year with them (PR, awesome!!), HIM with Linda and Julia, IMCDA with Linda... Seriously, THOSE are all of my favorite races. So for me, it's not about the result, the race, or the venue, it's about the people. I'm sure I have many favorite races to look forward to in the coming years...LUCKY ME!!
2013-05-22 11:39 PM
in reply to: kkcbelle

User image

New user
What an awesome post!!

Nadine
2013-05-23 12:30 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Nadine, I concur! kyla's posts always make me smile, especially when she uses multiple adjectives...welcome to you! i am sad re: inability to use my mostest favoritest bold purple but alas, it is what it is...i kept trying to think of a favorite race and it just might have been my Goofy challenge in 2012, injured and kind of hurting, i got lots of photos with lots of Mickey and friends and had lots of fun...and pulled off a surprisingly good run/walk marathon! good fun, for sure. good luck to any of us racing!
2013-05-23 12:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

No racing for me; just cooling my heel.

Never my best races, but I love the course through the battlefield park in Vicksburg, MS. Red River, NM was also unbelievably beautiful.

Good luck, racers! I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday weekend.

2013-05-23 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

No racing here. My best race was the HIM I did last year. The location/course was great and I was very satisfied with my performance on the course even though it got pretty hot.

2013-05-23 9:33 AM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
I'm racing. Well, I'm doing a sprint this weekend. 750m pool swim. I may die. I've gotten back in the pool, but man. Its a great family race, so we do it every year with the girls.

Fav race was Galveston. Great destination. It was my 1st HIM, and got to meet a whole shwack of MG people.
2013-05-23 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran

Well I finally figured out where you all went to. No time to read all the logs, but welcome to all the newcomers.

No racing for me this weekend....just a lot of running...someone talked me into a long race.....and now I actually have to train.

My favorite race was last year the NJ State tri, the swim felt great as did the bike. I could have done a lot better on the run portion. The race just felt good like I actually was in shape and kind of knew what I was doing.

Ok I have a confession I have not swam in over two months, and have not biked in close to a month. Need to get back to multi sport....just running is not enough.
2013-05-23 6:23 PM
in reply to: bfwhitt

User image

Champion

A little tip....you can get formatting back in the forums by hovering over your name, selecting settings and then rich editor!!!

If the weather is warmer than the mid 30s, I'll be doing my first outdoor ride since I went Kaboom.  Still not allowed to ride the TT bike, but it's a start!

2013-05-23 6:24 PM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Champion

Originally posted by TrevorC I'm racing. Well, I'm doing a sprint this weekend. 750m pool swim. I may die. I've gotten back in the pool, but man. Its a great family race, so we do it every year with the girls. Fav race was Galveston. Great destination. It was my 1st HIM, and got to meet a whole shwack of MG people.

Enjoy the pool!Tongue out

PS.  I like that Galveston was your favorite race.  We need another encounter one of these days.  Maybe Fatty will join us??? Innocent

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44