BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-05-29 10:21 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

What B-- errr, what he said. If I'm correct, your last 'fitting' was actually a bike positioning (trying to setup your current bike). Do you have numbers regarding your body + angles + how they would best correspond to which measurements on a bike? Unfortunately a test ride (even a few) isn't a good measure of anything except do you like riding the bike.

Refresh me on what you're riding (make model year, WSD?) and what this one is. Can we talk about this tomorrow? I can call you.

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by StaceyK Well I test rode the bike today. The medium felt a bit too long in the reach for me, so I they set up a small and I must say it felt surprisingly good. My current bike is the same brand and a small and is just really uncomfortable. I talked to him about this and he said that the two bikes have completely different geometry, and that the one that I rode today is longer in the top tube than the one I have which is where I think my current problem is. The biggest difference was the smoothness of the gear changes, this bike has ultegra components on it whereas my current bike has sora. The only small that he has in stock is a demo. It still looks like brand new, he said it has been ridden about 300km, he said he will put new bar tape on it and take a further $300 off the price! So that means it will be $2,099 instead of $2,999. I'm gonna think about it over the weekend and make a decision. I think I'm just really nervous to actually pull the trigger on a new bike seeing as my current one felt alright when I rode it at first too and now it just doesn't. Oh what to do.

Does the fitter know what to look for? Can they read your body as you're on the bike, seeing if your scrunched, bunched, tight, or reaching in any areas? My road bike feels all screwy after riding my tri bike so much. They need to help you figure out what you are feeling more so than a general how it's fitting. I don't know road bike fit as well, so am more limited. Were there more directed questions about different areas, how they felt? That can help lead you into learning what to feel for.

The bike sizes only relate to that specific bike type. Not only brand, but that type. it gets even better in that the saddle type & position, stem, and the bars all play a fairly significant role in how the bike feels too. I have an older Bianchi Brava in a 54 that actually rides longer than a size 58 Specialized Tarmac. The frame itself is actually shorter by the stack & reach measurements, but the stem is longer, I can sit farther back on that bike's saddle, and the bars loop farther forward. The Tarmac is also a taller bike which can play into that.

I currently have a 2011 Giant Avail 3 (think poverty pack entry level road bike). The one I ride today is a Liv (Giant) Envie, carbon fibre ultegra.

I have had 2 bike fits on my existing bike from the piglets at total triathlon, but I don't have any measurements or angles or anything like that.

Are you in town? I thought that you weren't here until next week.

2015-05-29 10:38 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK

What B-- errr, what he said. If I'm correct, your last 'fitting' was actually a bike positioning (trying to setup your current bike). Do you have numbers regarding your body + angles + how they would best correspond to which measurements on a bike? Unfortunately a test ride (even a few) isn't a good measure of anything except do you like riding the bike.

Refresh me on what you're riding (make model year, WSD?) and what this one is. Can we talk about this tomorrow? I can call you.

Originally posted by StaceyK Well I test rode the bike today. The medium felt a bit too long in the reach for me, so I they set up a small and I must say it felt surprisingly good. My current bike is the same brand and a small and is just really uncomfortable. I talked to him about this and he said that the two bikes have completely different geometry, and that the one that I rode today is longer in the top tube than the one I have which is where I think my current problem is. The biggest difference was the smoothness of the gear changes, this bike has ultegra components on it whereas my current bike has sora. The only small that he has in stock is a demo. It still looks like brand new, he said it has been ridden about 300km, he said he will put new bar tape on it and take a further $300 off the price! So that means it will be $2,099 instead of $2,999. I'm gonna think about it over the weekend and make a decision. I think I'm just really nervous to actually pull the trigger on a new bike seeing as my current one felt alright when I rode it at first too and now it just doesn't. Oh what to do.

Does the fitter know what to look for? Can they read your body as you're on the bike, seeing if your scrunched, bunched, tight, or reaching in any areas? My road bike feels all screwy after riding my tri bike so much. They need to help you figure out what you are feeling more so than a general how it's fitting. I don't know road bike fit as well, so am more limited. Were there more directed questions about different areas, how they felt? That can help lead you into learning what to feel for.

The bike sizes only relate to that specific bike type. Not only brand, but that type. it gets even better in that the saddle type & position, stem, and the bars all play a fairly significant role in how the bike feels too. I have an older Bianchi Brava in a 54 that actually rides longer than a size 58 Specialized Tarmac. The frame itself is actually shorter by the stack & reach measurements, but the stem is longer, I can sit farther back on that bike's saddle, and the bars loop farther forward. The Tarmac is also a taller bike which can play into that.

I currently have a 2011 Giant Avail 3 (think poverty pack entry level road bike). The one I ride today is a Liv (Giant) Envie, carbon fibre ultegra. I have had 2 bike fits on my existing bike from the piglets at total triathlon, but I don't have any measurements or angles or anything like that. Are you in town? I thought that you weren't here until next week.

I'm not, unfortunately (and arriving Thurs not Wed). Am in the Big Durian but by necessity have very cheap Indo-Aus and vs calling plans

2015-05-29 10:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Melon Presser

HUGE THANKS to everyone who responded on the tracker questions. I'll get back to each post shortly and hopefully a few others.

Anyone else please feel free to also give feedback (regardless of whether or not the product interests you--business feedback appreciated too!) and any questions.

I'm finally well enough to travel again so I journeyed from Bali to Jakarta today, will spend a few days here taking care o' bidness then finally get my sick sorry azz out of this sick sorry-azz country and to Perf.

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2015-05-29 10:44 AM
2015-05-29 10:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Thank you everyone for your input to my running question.  After 'Cuse I'll let coach know I'd like to work on improving my running, I'm sure he'll glad me with the torture workouts necessary to get me faster.

TJ - tarantulas?!?!  Thank you, NO.  I don't care if they are relatively harmless, Mary, they are scary and I'd scream like a little girl if I saw one. 

Mary - how about you killing that XC race!  Yeah, girl, way to go!  Sounds like you are getting back to where you want to be.

Matt - for reals, an Ab Fab movie?  YES!!  The hijinx of those two is endlessly funny.  "Gun it, Eddie!"  Oh, and congrats on putting down two really good races and setting a new bar for your Oly bike!

Erin - so glad things are working out with J, and happy belated to T!  You have some really cool kids.

Kirsten - hi!

Salty - man, killer track workouts fo sho!  Sorry to hear you are sick and that your nose hurts, hope it feels better for your big adventure this weekend.

Stacey - I think a woman at masters just got a bike like the pic you posted.  I hope you find the right bike for you and it makes you happy.

Yanti - I really like the idea for the product that you and Kingsley are working on.  I agree with some of the others on size: less bulky would be preferrable.  Reliability would be paramount, especially in locations with limited cell reception.  I'm interested to watch how the development of the tracker progresses.

Edited by melbo55 2015-05-29 10:55 AM
2015-05-29 11:03 AM

Master
Northern IL

What B-- errr, what he said. 

(Bort_namesign.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Bort_namesign.jpg (28KB - 2 downloads)
2015-05-29 11:06 AM

Master
Northern IL

HUGE THANKS to everyone who responded on the tracker questions. I'll get back to each post shortly and hopefully a few others.

Anyone else please feel free to also give feedback (regardless of whether or not the product interests you--business feedback appreciated too!) and any questions.

I'm finally well enough to travel again so I journeyed from Bali to Jakarta today, will spend a few days here taking care o' bidness then finally get my sick sorry azz out of this sick sorry-azz country and to Perf.

I didn't say anything because it's not really something I'm looking for. As in the entire idea, not any one specific product.

2015-05-29 11:11 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK

See this is why I am so unsure what to do. I'm wondering if I should see if I can find somewhere to do a retul bike fit, but is it worth while if I am just looking for a lower end road bike?

What system or brands the fitter uses is vastly less important than experience (preferably ongoing relationships) and knowledge about human anatomy and kinesiology esp with respect to bicycle geometry, riding physics and specific makes-models-types-components. There is no way I'd drop 2K on a bike without the necessary digits I was talking about (at a minimum). We know great fitters in Perth across dif price points and needs.

Right, Retul can make it easier to do things, but it's still about the one doing the fit session using the available tools well. It sounds like you're being thrown on different bikes not too different from trying on a pair of pants or a shirt. Shops can (and should) be looking at doing some adjusting and swapping out some basic parts. Like the ones mentioned.

2015-05-29 11:16 AM

User image

Melon Presser

I realise I've been nothing but the Bad News Bear (when there's any news at all) lately but there's more and I accept pretty much everything right now is rough riding for a while. Dem's de breaks and all in all--overall, over the long term--I still think I'm the luckiest girl in the world.

I wrote Dub6 about this briefly a while back.

We've got three Indonesian triathletes who are international-caliber and have been winning regionally and podiuming internationally (I work with one who was only beaten by Macca at his last tri he outbiked him and very nearly outran him but he still can't swim for shyte ).

My two para boys are decent. They're not head of the class but they can hold their own among fellow paratriathletes.

The Southeast Asian Games are held every 2 years (it's like this part of the world's Commonwealth Games or like Pan-Pac was in its heyday). All three of ours stood a serious chance at the podium. Given how young the sport is here and how hard they've had to work (as in regular jobs too!) and how they've had to battle corrupt national federations at every step, they are miracles.

Just now, less than 1 month before SEA Games, they were told that Indonesia tri would not be going. The national sport federation, the national Olympic sport federation, and in particular the Indonesian Triathlon Federation ( = one guy, one very very bad guy who is not any kind of athlete but a long time ago decided to establish himself as the national rep in case Indonesia ever took up triathlon) DID NOT SUBMIT THEM, despite that they'd done all the right races with the right results to qualify, made sure all the paperwork was in order, etc. etc. I know there was some minimal palm greasing--it's inevitable.

The triathletes were not submitted because they (all of us who have anything to do with tri formally) outright refuse to do major palm greasing. It's abhorrent and besides we can't afford it even so.

It's also why my boys did not go to the Asian Tri Championships or other official ones. They will very likely not be going to any major international competitions. Same reason. (Same reason why no official Indonesian parathletes were allowed to attend the Indonesian Paragames either--I bitched about this last July--we ended up putting on the Games for all youth categories only).

Bitter pill. Especially for our top guy, whom I got into triathlon. He's 35 now and it's starting to be curtains for his ITU career. He'll go on to long course, but that's not the point.

But the fight's just started. Can't do anything about the national federations (and ITU doesn't care, great), but we'll definitely be taking it to the IOC (they probably won't care much either but my sister's taken them on in open court and won--on a different issue, 10 years ago. So there's a shot).

2015-05-29 11:19 AM
in reply to: melbo55

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by melbo55

TJ - tarantulas?!?!  Thank you, NO.  I don't care if they are relatively harmless, Mary, they are scary and I'd scream like a little girl if I saw one. 

They are awesome. Just respect their space.

2015-05-29 11:40 AM

User image

Seattle

I realise I've been nothing but the Bad News Bear (when there's any news at all) lately but there's more and I accept pretty much everything right now is rough riding for a while. Dem's de breaks and all in all--overall, over the long term--I still think I'm the luckiest girl in the world.

We've got three Indonesian triathletes who are international-caliber and have been winning regionally and podiuming internationally (I work with one who was only beaten by Macca at his last tri he outbiked him and very nearly outran him but he still can't swim for shyte ).

My two para boys are decent. They're not head of the class but they can hold their own among fellow paratriathletes.

The Southeast Asian Games are held every 2 years (it's like this part of the world's Commonwealth Games or like Pan-Pac was in its heyday). All three of ours stood a serious chance at the podium. Given how young the sport is here and how hard they've had to work (as in regular jobs too!) and how they've had to battle corrupt national federations at every step, they are miracles.

Just now, less than 1 month before SEA Games, they were told that Indonesia tri would not be going. The national sport federation, the national Olympic sport federation, and in particular the Indonesian Triathlon Federation ( = one guy, one very very bad guy who is not any kind of athlete but a long time ago decided to establish himself as the national rep in case Indonesia ever took up triathlon) DID NOT SUBMIT THEM, despite that they'd done all the right races with the right results to qualify, made sure all the paperwork was in order, etc. etc. I know there was some minimal palm greasing--it's inevitable.

The triathletes were not submitted because they (all of us who have anything to do with tri formally) outright refuse to do major palm greasing. It's abhorrent and besides we can't afford it even so.

It's also why my boys did not go to the Asian Tri Championships or other official ones. They will very likely not be going to any major international competitions. Same reason. (Same reason why no official Indonesian parathletes were allowed to attend the Indonesian Paragames either--I bitched about this last July--we ended up putting on the Games for all youth categories only).

Bitter pill. Especially for our top guy, whom I got into triathlon. He's 35 now and it's starting to be curtains for his ITU career. He'll go on to long course, but that's not the point.

But the fight's just started. Can't do anything about the national federations (and ITU doesn't care, great), but we'll definitely be taking it to the IOC (they probably won't care much either but my sister's taken them on in open court and won--on a different issue, 10 years ago. So there's a shot).

Ugh that is so frustrating.

My teammate is pretty upset about the exclusion of blind male paratriathlon at Rio. Did that effect your guys at all?

2015-05-29 11:40 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

NOPE

2015-05-29 11:41 AM

User image

Melon Presser

As in, me. I am their space.

2015-05-29 11:45 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Asalzwed

My teammate is pretty upset about the exclusion of blind male paratriathlon at Rio. Did that effect your guys at all?

Yeah, I remember you posting about that awhile back. I was super pizzed then too, November I think it was (or December). Yeah. One of my guys is blind. Now we have a tandem bike and nowhere to go ...

Nobody's still coughed up an explanation about the willy-nilly, oh hey we thought about it (for half a minute) and ... these are the random categories we'll have for paratri. And not the same for men and women. But that's random too. Gee hope that's fine folks!

2015-05-29 11:49 AM

Master
Northern IL

NOPE

Or wear a big set of boots?

2015-05-29 11:50 AM

User image

Seattle

Yeah, I remember you posting about that awhile back. I was super pizzed then too, November I think it was (or December). Yeah. One of my guys is blind. Now we have a tandem bike and nowhere to go ...

Nobody's still coughed up an explanation about the willy-nilly, oh hey we thought about it (for half a minute) and ... these are the random categories we'll have for paratri. And not the same for men and women. But that's random too. Gee hope that's fine folks!

Aaron has transitioned to cycling to see if he can make it. 

They took gold in the men's tandem time trial in the USA Cycling Paralympics National Time Trial Championships, their first cycling road race. 

2015-05-29 11:53 AM

User image

Melon Presser

What B-- errr, what he said. 

Beer?

Your name is Beer? A drop of sweet beer?

2015-05-29 11:54 AM

Master
Northern IL

Knew that was coming, but not quite what I meant.

2015-05-29 11:55 AM

User image

Melon Presser

They took gold in the men's tandem time trial in the USA Cycling Paralympics National Time Trial Championships, their first cycling road race. 

Holy shyte! That's awesome! Give him a huge congrats whenever you contact or meet him next. Way to make lemonade

2015-05-29 11:58 AM

User image

Seattle

Holy shyte! That's awesome! Give him a huge congrats whenever you contact or meet him next. Way to make lemonade

I know, right? That is the best part. 

His post on twitter said, "The who says triathletes can't ride bikes. My goal is 2 change this image w/ RR & TT titles this wkd"

Gotta love that attitude. 

2015-05-29 11:58 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Before I forget, and while I'm on a rare roll ...

CONSPANKULATIONS HAPPYSTONED!!!!!

2015-05-29 12:11 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Yanti, ya know I love you, but I really, REALLY don't like that picture!

2015-05-29 12:13 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Super, super frustrating.  But still, congrats to the athletes for getting where they are today (almost beating Macca?  Pure awesome!).  Here's hoping some positive change will come of this.

2015-05-29 12:18 PM

User image

Master

The fact that the naughty FIFA people have finally been caught gives me hope that one day this will be less prevalent in sport...

2015-05-29 12:19 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by IronOx

The fact that the naughty FIFA people have finally been caught gives me hope that one day this will be less prevalent in sport...

I was so happy to hear that. I think it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Are you going to any of the woman's world cup matches? J and I are thinking of coming up for one if we can make it work. 

2015-05-29 12:23 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by IronOx

I was so happy to hear that. I think it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Are you going to any of the woman's world cup matches? J and I are thinking of coming up for one if we can make it work. 

I agree--I think much more will be revealed in the coming months.

My bro and I are going to take my niece to at least one game.  Not sure what day/game yet.  

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 69397 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29493 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12409 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 39419 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 69152 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.