BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-02-03 7:05 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
The "power" in the power ride is just me pulling my son behind me on a regular ride. The Half Fast Group is a no drop ride so the speed depends on who showes up for the ride. Once I get into my training season I probably won't ride with them much. They're a friendly social group though, and its always more fun to ride with others.

I need to start looking into what other/faster groups are around. My biggest problem is a lot of groups ride at times I can't make.

2019-02-03 10:03 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

DeLand, Florida

Riles - How was the ride today?  Ended up going out for a run with my bro in law, so I could stick by home for party prep (we're having my daughter's bday party this afternoon).  Will probably ride solo tomorrow.

There's a bike shop in town here that does group rides but they're on weeknights.  I can make the times but right now it's still dark when they go and I'm not ready for learning to ride in a group and in the dark through downtown with traffic.  

Have you checked any of the bike shops?  I did a bunch of research on bike shops in central FL for when I was shoe shopping and there look like a few in the Orlando area that do organized group rides.  Kyle's Bike Shop on N. Primrose advertises multiple group rides on their website https://www.kylesbikeshop.net/articles/rides-and-events-pg37.htm for instance.  

2019-02-03 3:51 PM
in reply to: #5254878

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1:10 on the trainer, preceded by a short walk. Starting to feel better, but I still have congestion that makes a full run difficult.
2019-02-03 5:45 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

YES.  This is important!  

Also - it starts at 6:30 PM on the East Coast.

Sappho tell me you are going to record and watch it the next day, it's on in the middle of the night for you isn't it?

Sappho is clever and always books the Monday off! started on my rubbish beer and had my first hotdog

2019-02-03 5:46 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by firebert

Got a 3 mile run in yesterday, taking today to rest since we have a 5k in the morning.  I'm not racing, just run/walking with the family.  But if my daughter is feeling good I'll pace her to a PR :D  Sunday morning I'l get a bike path ride in, then it's my daughter's birthday party, then a Super Bowl party.  Good thing I took Monday off!  My first time, believe it or not, ever taking Super Bowl Monday off.

Most importantly though, I logged all my January workouts into the Training Log.  I failed to do that at all last year, or consistently the year before.  I've resolved to keep up with it.  I rode 130 miles in January.  That's on pace for 1500 miles for the year.  Which, as compared with every cyclist's annual mileage I read about, is basically nothing.  Everyone is like 6000-10000 miles annually......

I'm aiming for  1000 this year so with you firebert! What scares me is those who wish to run that far!

2019-02-03 9:08 PM

User image

Originally posted by firebert

Riles - How was the ride today?  Ended up going out for a run with my bro in law, so I could stick by home for party prep (we're having my daughter's bday party this afternoon).  Will probably ride solo tomorrow.

There's a bike shop in town here that does group rides but they're on weeknights.  I can make the times but right now it's still dark when they go and I'm not ready for learning to ride in a group and in the dark through downtown with traffic.  

Have you checked any of the bike shops?  I did a bunch of research on bike shops in central FL for when I was shoe shopping and there look like a few in the Orlando area that do organized group rides.  Kyle's Bike Shop on N. Primrose advertises multiple group rides on their website https://www.kylesbikeshop.net/articles/rides-and-events-pg37.htm for instance.  

I did the Half Fast ride Saturday, from Winter Garden to Apopka & back. This morning was a 2k swim & 4 miles on the treadmill. Felt pretty fast and good.

Kyle's is a good bike shop, Orange Cycle is probably the biggest bike shop in Orlando. Wheel Works here in Winter Garden is good too. Sorry I don't know of anything closer to you.

Schedule, pace, and distance all make it hard to find a compatible group. I don't think I can hang with an A group, and I don't think I'm ready to do more than 25-30 mi. Then my wife likes to go to the gym in the mornings, that leaves me on the trainer or taking my son with me.

2019-02-04 8:31 AM
in reply to: #5254904

User image

, Vermont
Up and at ‘em this morning with a 3 mile run. I’ve decided with the studying I’m doing that if I don’t workout early in the morning, it just isn’t going to happen. I have too much to do during the day. Haha.
Strangely warm temps here today 42*F and this week will have a few days like that. Hopefully the roads/sidewalks get cleared up, it would be great to run outside again. It’s a sloppy mess right now. Time for coffee and books! Have a great day all!
2019-02-04 10:00 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Scheduled rest day!!! After indulging yesterday during the game (and then drowning my sorrows afterwards), I need it!!

Temp has rebounded here and we had 60s over the weekend and are still at 58F this morning. We slept with the windows open last night and I'm wearing shorts with the windows open now! I know we will pay for this later, but I'm enjoying it for as long as it lasts!!
2019-02-04 12:51 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Busy weekend for us...I got in a really good Bikram session on Saturday (probably my best in over 4 years) and then a quick 30 minute trainer session Sunday morning before going to a swim meet.  My daughter qualified for states for the first time - so excited.  She swam a 1:03.00 100 fly SCY. 

I'm in denial of the game yesterday, OMG that was like watching paint dry.  I have no problem with defensive struggles but that game set the NFL back 40 years.

2019-02-04 12:54 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Weather has been decent here as well and today and tomorrow are supposed to be amazing. Of course days I'm stuck in my office all day. Maybe I will be sick tomorrow...

Got in a solid 3300 yds in the pool yesterday morning. Wanted to run after but had a Drag Brunch (extremely entertaining!), so I'm going to run after work today. I don't typically do workouts after work but I'm hoping the beautiful weather will be my motivation.

I'm supposed to swim tomorrow morning but might run there and walk home to get a little extra in.
2019-02-04 6:18 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Did about a 25 minute run this afternoon. It was my first run since mid-December. I took it slow and was feeling heavy but overall felt okay. Definitely need to get my eating in order. Being this heavy is not good for my legs. I'm the heaviest I've ever been and holding steady...no bueno

2019-02-04 9:05 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Good week for me,

5 runs, for 3 1/2 hours, including my first hill repeat workout in years (first hard interval workout of any sort in years for that matter)
Life (and the need to have a car available) got in the way of bike commuting, so only 1 return trip, for about half an hour on the bike.
Weight, only 1.5lb down this week. But I was away for work again Sunday night, so was very much off diet on hotel/airport food. So just happy I didn't go up

This week is a bit fragmented. Didn't get back home till Monday afternoon, so that day was a write off. And Wednesday is a public holiday here, so that rules out some bike commute opportunities. So it's a bit of an odd week for me.

I also have my first HM of the year on Sunday. And it is the hilliest course of the 5 race summer series. I'm not really prepared for it, so will be treating it as my long slow run for the week, doing some walking up the hills, and hoping the wheels don't totally fall off in the last 3rd. But in all honesty they probably will.

Have a good week everyone.
2019-02-05 10:31 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Good luck this weekend, Andrew!

Did 2200 yds in the pool this morning. I have a meet on Saturday that I'm hoping my two exams (both this weekend, ugh) don't get in the way of. Really need to focus.

Legs are definitely sore from my run last night. I have football tonight and am going to run or walk there and back since it's so beautiful out!
2019-02-05 6:48 PM
in reply to: #5254925

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short run followed by a swim today. Definitely not the order I would suggest doing those in!! My feet and calves cramped after just 1000yds in the pool, but a little stretching helped and I was able to finish. 2800yds in total.
2019-02-06 8:05 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Busy weekend for us...I got in a really good Bikram session on Saturday (probably my best in over 4 years) and then a quick 30 minute trainer session Sunday morning before going to a swim meet.  My daughter qualified for states for the first time - so excited.  She swam a 1:03.00 100 fly SCY. 

I'm in denial of the game yesterday, OMG that was like watching paint dry.  I have no problem with defensive struggles but that game set the NFL back 40 years.

We posted at the same time so I almost missed this yesterday. Congrats to your daughter, that is amazing!
2019-02-06 8:10 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Have been walking as much as possible while the weather is nice. Walked to and from work the past 2 days (about 1.7 miles each way I think) and walked about a mile to and from football last night. Went to boot camp this morning, which was ROUGH (in a good way). I've missed the last 2 weeks so am definitely going to be feeling it tomorrow.

Had some peer pressure to drink last night after football (I'm not drinking in February) and made it through without giving in. Already feeling better after a few days of thinking about what I'm putting into my body instead of just eating whatever I want. Down 3 lbs from the weekend (I did have a few drinks over the weekend for bday celebrations). Hoping to get under 160 by next week and keep it there.

2019-02-06 8:36 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Glad to see everyone slogging through the February doldrums!

I did zero on Monday due to being hung over.  Yesterday got 5 miles in running and today will be back on the bike after work, catching up on last year's Tour de France.  I only have until July this year to watch like 150 hours of cycling coverage on my NBC Sports Gold pass....  Gotta get some trainer miles in! 

2019-02-06 8:45 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Riles - I'm considering the Seminole ride this Saturday, which starts in Altamonte which is like 38 miles from me instead of Winter Garden which is 50 miles.  Given I have to be there early on a Saturday morning I suppose it doesn't matter much either way....and either way I can go to Trader Joe's on the way home.  If you're going to do the Winter Garden ride again let me know.

Or if there's a time and pace that's better for you and you need a riding buddy, I could just meet you somewhere more convenient.  Was definitely faster the past couple years when in better shape but this year I've been able to push 17mph avg on 20 mile bike trail rides.

2019-02-06 1:19 PM
in reply to: #5255026

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hour trainer ride, followed by 35’ of good running and 3’ of al out running to get home once the sky opened up and started pouring a cold rain down on my head.
2019-02-06 4:17 PM

User image

Hey John, I'll be out of town this weekend, but I'd love to meet up for a ride. Best would probably be to meet up in Lake Mary & do some riding on the Seminole-Wekiva trail or the Cross Seminole trail. I haven't ridden either in about 5 years.

@ Gretchen; Ouch! A brick with a sprint finish? I guess a storm rolling in is a great motivation though. =)

Planned to do a 2 hour ride Monday night, but ended up spending 30-45 min on equipment issues, so I only road an hour, which turned out to be perfect because my headlamp batteries completely died about 5 min from the end. Last night I just did a quick bodyweight workout. Tonight I have a long run planned.
2019-02-06 4:26 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by riles32807 Hey John, I'll be out of town this weekend, but I'd love to meet up for a ride. Best would probably be to meet up in Lake Mary & do some riding on the Seminole-Wekiva trail or the Cross Seminole trail. I haven't ridden either in about 5 years. @ 

Sounds great - let's catch up next week and we'll get something together!

2019-02-06 6:48 PM

User image

Hey Nicole, any tips on converting a workout written in 25m intervals to a 50m pool? It seems like a lot of the workouts I'm seeing are written for 25m pools.
2019-02-06 8:15 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
To be honest, I've never really worked out in an LCM pool. I think if it's giving you timed intervals to hit, you could use a conversion tool like this one (https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/time-conversion) to figure out what your time should be. I think that would work. I've always swam short course, so have never had to make that adjustment.

Has anyone else had to make this adjustment? Riles, if you try this, let me know how it goes/if it was helpful!
2019-02-06 9:44 PM
in reply to: #5255072

User image

, Vermont
Got in a spin class yesterday and a 30’ trainer ride today. The plan was to run after but time ran out and had to get the kiddos at school. Played around a little on the Kick’r. I need to make a choice on an app for this thing.. but I leave in 1.5 weeks for 6 more weeks of training so I kind of want to wait until I get back.

Freezing rain right now. Pretty awful out. I hear just south of here you guys are getting some really nice late spring temperatures! Good for you! Enjoy it!

Gretchen, nice finish!

Nicole, congrats on those pounds!

Hey all you Pats fans.. yeah, baby!
2019-02-07 3:59 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by riles32807

Hey Nicole, any tips on converting a workout written in 25m intervals to a 50m pool? It seems like a lot of the workouts I'm seeing are written for 25m pools.

My pool is set up LCM every MWF morning and SCY the rest of the time. Other than adjusting your times, there isn't a lot of difference between the two. For a while I used Shelia Taormina's Swim Speed Workouts and her advise was to just swim the workouts in whatever your pool is--don't worry about it too much. Obviously, you wouldn't want to include a bunch of 25s in your workout or anything like that...unless you are interested in practicing your water starts!

My experience is that there is a 10% difference between my 100yd time and my 100m time in my pool. So, if I swim 100yds @ 2:00, my 100m time is about 2:12 (yes, I'm slow--I'm working on it!). Our pool does have some serious current though at one end, so it may be a little different for you.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 8362 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 1016 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa