Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2023-02-21 9:28 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

@Gretchen:  I can't eat before running (or any other workout for that matter).  I can't imagine drinking a protein shake AND coffee right before

@Nicole:  nope no Masters for me but I did get in a couple of really good swim workouts at the Y; I'll probably head to Merritt when we get back from Florida in April

This morning for me was speed work on the treadmill after a short bike warmup, dealing with grumpy people at the Y.  I know I'm a grouch in the morning but geez these people were a pain.  Totaled 4 miles with 5 x 1' @ R pace.   Did some strength and core work after so about 1.5 hours all-in.

2023-02-21 11:55 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
I generally do okay eating within 15-30’ of a workout, except bananas before I swim for some reason. That never works out well. Coffee is a must before a run…reasons. ????

Yesterday afternoon was a Z2 bike for 60’, which I did on my apartment balcony. It was glorious to be outside on a bike again and the weather was perfect.

This morning was 2400yds in the pool, which is now fully heated! A bit overheated, if you ask me. Later this afternoon, it is another 60’ Z2 ride. At least I have a good audiobook right now.
2023-02-22 8:42 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I generally do okay eating within 15-30’ of a workout, except bananas before I swim for some reason. That never works out well. Coffee is a must before a run…reasons. ????

I normally eat an hour before a workout. Not sure when/why I decided that one hour was what worked but it works.

Coffee is a must before everything (except going to bed) so yes, I always drink coffee before a workout.
2023-02-22 3:13 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Gretchen:  I can't eat before running (or any other workout for that matter).  I can't imagine drinking a protein shake AND coffee right before

@Nicole:  nope no Masters for me but I did get in a couple of really good swim workouts at the Y; I'll probably head to Merritt when we get back from Florida in April

This morning for me was speed work on the treadmill after a short bike warmup, dealing with grumpy people at the Y.  I know I'm a grouch in the morning but geez these people were a pain.  Totaled 4 miles with 5 x 1' @ R pace.   Did some strength and core work after so about 1.5 hours all-in.

I'm with you, I can't eat before workouts. That's why I usually workout in the morning, but if I wait too long and get hungry it's pretty much not going to happen.

When I was working with a nutritionist, she told me about this stuff called Tailwind. You mix it in your drink and it provides the energy you need. I'll probably get back into using it, though I need to get a non-caffeinated version. I'm a morning person, so don't need the caffeine, and would rather save it for when I get to work and drink my tea. The first time I used it I thought my heart was going to explode out of my chest!

Mike, great workout on your own! I can never get that motivated without the team. Coach brought out the paddles the week before so I thought maybe he'd done it again.
2023-02-23 12:34 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
90' ride with 4x'6Z3 intervals in the first half. It was a good ride and I did it on my balcony, so I got in some outdoor time. With training and working outside on my house/projects and just generally sitting on my own patio while working at home, I would bet I spend at least 25-30 hours outside every week normally. Living in the city has really put a crimp in that style and I miss just being able to sit outside. Fortunately, the weather is starting to turn and hopefully I'll be able to take advantage of a few opportunities to be outside soon.

Later today...strength training.
2023-02-23 5:52 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen:  I go crazy when I can't be outside...I get full-on Seasonal Affective Disorder by Christmas.  It hasn't really been all that cold here this year save for a few days, but I really miss the outdoor riding, eating outside at restaurants, and like you chilling on the patio.  Hopefully your balcony will do the trick.

@Nicole:  I've been self-trained in swimming since I started, minus maybe 20 or so sessions at the Merritt Masters teams in Canton (2013 - 2015) and Towson last year; my daughter and I practice together sometimes but she's so much faster than me we don't do much at the same time; the problem with most Masters coaches is that they have swum their entire lives and aren't Adult Onset Swimmers, so they don't have any frame of refence for the lake of feel we have in the pool, or maybe more accurately the lack of body awareness; I'm sure I could get better at swimmy things like learning other strokes, actually flip-turning, etc., but with limited time in the pool it's just not worth it

Got in my big day of the week yesterday...3K in the pool in the morning (first 3K day in years, and I did some Gretchen math and miscounted intervals which resulted in 2950 total yards, so of course I swam the extra 50 cool down to get to a nice round number), then 1:30 on the bike at lunch with long tempo intervals (the last one was 23 minutes @ 80%....blech).  Nailed all the pacing and wattage targets so a good day.  

2023-02-23 7:50 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I did some Gretchen math and miscounted intervals  

Well...let's not make this a thing...I feel seen. :D
2023-02-23 8:31 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

let's! it's fun
2023-02-23 10:24 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I woke up yesterday morning ready to work out, but needed to throw my bedding in the wash first (I've been sneezing like crazy b/c my cat's hair is everywhere). I had some clothes piled on the corner of my bed, so sorted them and put them away, then made my bed, then started the roomba...basically ended up cleaning all morning. Better than staying in bed, but definitely not the needed workout.

Went out with some coworkers last night and ended up getting to bed way too late, so didn't work out this morning either. I'm going to try to go for a run when I get home b/c it's supposed to be in the 70s here today.
2023-02-23 10:35 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

@Nicole:  I've been self-trained in swimming since I started, minus maybe 20 or so sessions at the Merritt Masters teams in Canton (2013 - 2015) and Towson last year; my daughter and I practice together sometimes but she's so much faster than me we don't do much at the same time; the problem with most Masters coaches is that they have swum their entire lives and aren't Adult Onset Swimmers, so they don't have any frame of refence for the lake of feel we have in the pool, or maybe more accurately the lack of body awareness; I'm sure I could get better at swimmy things like learning other strokes, actually flip-turning, etc., but with limited time in the pool it's just not worth it

I totally get that! That's why when I taught swim lessons, I mostly stuck with children. I tried to give some adults swim lessons, but struggled at helping them keep their body on top of the water. Since it's something I learned so young, it just feels natural. I kept doing research to find different drills to work on it, but I didn't feel effective.
Our favorite coach is an adult onset swimmer. I think that's one of the reasons people still go, even though he can be a curmudgeon sometimes, he's really good at helping people improve.

2023-02-23 11:44 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

I woke up yesterday morning ready to work out, but needed to throw my bedding in the wash first (I've been sneezing like crazy b/c my cat's hair is everywhere). I had some clothes piled on the corner of my bed, so sorted them and put them away, then made my bed, then started the roomba...basically ended up cleaning all morning. Better than staying in bed, but definitely not the needed workout.

Went out with some coworkers last night and ended up getting to bed way too late, so didn't work out this morning either. I'm going to try to go for a run when I get home b/c it's supposed to be in the 70s here today.

What? Cleaning doesn’t count as a workout?

2023-02-23 11:59 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by nicole14e

What? Cleaning doesn’t count as a workout?

I mean, I kind of counted it Definitely lots of moving!
2023-02-23 4:03 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

@Andrew:  good to see you piling up the workouts on Strava...seems you're getting back into the groove (soon to be upended by your kids I'm sure

You jinxed it.

Had to go out of town at short notice for work on Thursday. Got home to a sick 2 year old. Long story short, was up at 1am this morning doing washing as she had messed on all her sleep sacks. So no workout this morning haha.

She seemed better today, so hopefully back to normal soon. And hopefully no one else in the house gets it.
2023-02-23 7:12 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

let's! it's fun

Oh, yes.  Question is should it be an adjective as above, a noun as in "I pulled a Gretchen today and..." or go full-on verb and "I Gretchened my count today during my run"?  I'm married to an English major - it matters.  

2023-02-23 7:12 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by jmhpsu93 @Andrew:  good to see you piling up the workouts on Strava...seems you're getting back into the groove (soon to be upended by your kids I'm sure
You jinxed it. Had to go out of town at short notice for work on Thursday. Got home to a sick 2 year old. Long story short, was up at 1am this morning doing washing as she had messed on all her sleep sacks. So no workout this morning haha. She seemed better today, so hopefully back to normal soon. And hopefully no one else in the house gets it.

Oh man, my bad.  Ugh - that's the worst.

2023-02-23 8:25 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

let's! it's fun

Oh, yes.  Question is should it be an adjective as above, a noun as in "I pulled a Gretchen today and..." or go full-on verb and "I Gretchened my count today during my run"?  I'm married to an English major - it matters.  

Definitely the verb

And I'm with you, after a gretchen like that no way I could leave a swim at 2950m. Although, I would do 1,250m over 1,300m... my OCD is odd.

2023-02-24 4:55 AM
in reply to: #5284465

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Andrew/Mike—no way I’d walk away at 2950 either! And…1250 over 1300, ALWAYS. I once had a month where I recorded 19,999.99yds (some in meter pool, some in yd pool). I really had to restrain myself from going back after the happy hour I realized this at just to dip a toe in to even that nonsense out!

2000yds in the pool this morning after a bit of a sleep in (all the way until 5:45!). Then an immediate 45’ Z1 run. After that, I’ve been chilling on my patio and randomly getting up to do a chore for 10-15’ before returning to the patio as if it is my charging station. It is warm and I’m enjoying the beautiful Nile view. Maybe I am getting recharged, in one way or another.
2023-02-24 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hmmm...1250 vs. 1300?  That's a tough one.  Does the same apply to other variants of the 250 multiples?  I'll have to give this one some deep thought.  I'll be in the car for over nine hours tomorrow so I'll have time.  LOL

Yesterday was a really good Bikram session and then this morning was a brutal "brick"...4 x 2' @ 125% on the bike (well, it was actually more like 3.9 as I cracked a little on the 4th one), then a 4 mile treadmill run with 10' @ tempo pace.  I was supposed to do some strength and core work afterwards but I was toast so I'll move that to Sunday.

2023-02-24 9:27 AM
in reply to: #5284502

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Mike—of course it applies to any 250!! Order of precedence is even x000s, then x500, then x250…nothing else is satisfactory!
2023-02-25 2:52 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I stopped caring about things like that a while back. I don’t trust my watch in the pool, it seems to add laps or take them back randomly and I can’t be arsed to keep count in my head.

Zwift ride this morning, hockey this afternoon, then straight after the game, shortish drive (68 miles) to watch a concert (some blue band from Denmark). A fun day in other words

Have a great weekend !
2023-02-25 7:44 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
A bit of a mishap here today. Went to do my long ride for the week (2:15 with 10 1' intervals in Z5) and found the rear tire was flat and the bead was no longer seated. I run tubeless. I walked the wheel down to the gas station and had it aired up, but by the time I walked back home (~15') the tire was flat again. So I walked to the "bike repair shop" I found on google maps about 0.5mi from my apartment. This turned out to be a hole in the wall where there was a dude with an air compressor and about 30 bikes stacked atop each other with everything covered in bike grease. Not exactly the LBS I want to start frequenting. The guy there aired up my tire, after a brief conversation about whether he had sealant (he did not). This time the tire held for a bit longer. I managed to get in the first hour and a bit of the ride, including all of the intervals, before the tire was flat again (I did air it up, but by then I kinda felt like the universe was trying to tell me something about this ride). Anyway, I bagged it after that and now have to spend tomorrow seeking out an actual bike shop that will have sealant...or, worst case scenario, I put in a tube and stop worrying about it. If I'd thought of that earlier today, it is what I would have done, but I didn't. I need to find a bike shop anyway, because the shifter cable on one side is hanging on by two of the 10/15 individual elements (I have no idea what those "wires" are called), so soon I'll need to get new shifter cables installed.

On the up side...I saw an announcement for the Cairo marathon on March 10, so I signed up on a whim, but only for the 10k. I'm not entirely insane. Interestingly enough, the Cairo marathon doesn't actually have a full marathon option, only a 5k, 10k, HM. Anyway, I'm going to treat it as a threshold test, because I haven't done one in a couple of years and I think this might be my only chance to get in a decent run without traffic issues (that isn't on a treadmill!).

2023-02-26 3:49 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hope you can fix your mechanical issue today Gretchen. Fun with a race to look forward to!

Also had some technical issues with my trainer, 80 minutes into my 90 minutes workout. No big deal. I think I can fix this but didn’t have time yesterday as it was time to leave for hockey (4-0, thanks for that) followed by dinner and a great gig in a small club.

Drank wine for the first time since new year’s eve. It was nice but I don’t intend to start drinking regularly again.
I just ate too much hotel breakfast but I have 4 hours before my run (13.5k today) so time to digest.

Have a great Sunday!
2023-02-26 4:41 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Up this morning for 1:10 run before the pool opened, where I got in a 2000 yard swim. both were okay, but really feeling the increase in training volume this week...maybe I need a massage. I'm seriously thinking about adding sports massage to my routine, especially since my compression boots died here (I think they got fried by the unreliable electricity).

It dawned on me this morning that I can just slap a tube in my tire and call it good! Simple fix, with materials I already have available and I don't have to try to negotiate my way into buying anything at a shop I don't really know exists in a place far away from my current apartment. That I only have one tube is a problem for future Gretchen. :D
2023-02-26 6:38 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

@Mike—of course it applies to any 250!! Order of precedence is even x000s, then x500, then x250…nothing else is satisfactory!

Agree with this 100%. Round numbers are so satisfying.
2023-02-26 6:43 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
It dawned on me this morning that I can just slap a tube in my tire and call it good! Simple fix, with materials I already have available and I don't have to try to negotiate my way into buying anything at a shop I don't really know exists in a place far away from my current apartment. That I only have one tube is a problem for future Gretchen. :D

Sorry about the mechanicals. That sounds like the easiest fix, and least disruptive to your training. It might be worth getting your wife to send you a care package, tubes/sealant/floor pump etc. rather than hoping for the best with the non existing bike shops over there?
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 122

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland