Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2007-02-06 7:36 AM
in reply to: #680664

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: DRM's Group - FULL

jonathan22 - 2007-02-06 8:06 AM My update: Training is coming along great. I'm learning alot. Learning item #1 Been trying to do the following swim workout: 1600 pyramid: 2x50 on :60, 2x100 on 2:, 2x150 on 3:, 2x200 on 4:, and back down. This leaves me with 10-15 seconds rest between intervals. Not enough OR I'm trying to swim too fast. Either way, I'm figuring out how hard I can push the swim. I think 20-30 second rests on the 150 to 200s are about right. Learning item #2 Heart rate of 130-140 on the bike is what I should be aiming for. Since I've started, I've up'd the intensity every week. Week before last I was dead tired so I backed off pushing so hard and am now trying to maintain a 135 HR which seems about right. Learning item #3 Had to revamp my running schedule a few weeks ago. 3 days/week just wasn't enough. I'm now at 4 days per week. 1 day is a long run. 1 day is interval work. 2 days are easy days. Using the McMillan site (I acutally used a different site to get to the same result), know that my long and easy runs should be about 10:30. Based on my most recent 6.2mile effort, my intervals should be at a 8:15 pace. I've come to accept that my speed in college will take a while to come back. "Be patient" I keep telling myself. "A year from now, the times will come down; I've only been running for 2 months now."

#1 yes, 150's and 200's on 1015" rest is tough. Also, this sounds like a hard workout for you. Try not to make every workout real hard.

#2 is HR 130-140 your zone 2? My training plan has three different bike workouts per week. Obviosuly the long ride. Then a hard bike and an easy spin bike during the week. Try to mix it up.

#3 Take a look at the Jack Daniels book ( for running, not whiskey). When I switched from 3 days per week to 5 it made a huge difference. You do have to be very careful with this. Be sure to get where you are used to the 3 days running per week. Then I added two 2m easy runs in. I would strongly suggest to not do interval work until you have been doing the extra running for a while. If you have only been running for 2mos consistently, you do not need speed work. Just running more will get you faster. It will also greatly lower the risk for injury. I have done a pseudo Daniels plan the last 6 mos or so and can tell you it really works. Feel free to ask more questions, but I recommend the book.

2007-02-06 7:37 AM
in reply to: #680486

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
run joe run - 2007-02-05 10:16 PM
Donto - 2007-02-05 2:55 PM

All right guys.  So how's your training coming along?

Last time I rode was Jan 29th, 8 days ago.  Last run was a couple days before that.  Was dealing with ITB again and now fighting the flu.  UUGH!!  Oh well, I'll make it.

Tough going Joe! Hang in there and get well.

2007-02-06 7:39 AM
in reply to: #680039

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

Donto - 2007-02-05 3:55 PM One thing I do know I need to start doing is core work.  My lower back is hurting again, always a sign that I need to focus on my core again.  If you guys could encourage me on this issue that would be great!

Get a fitness ball. When I had the back problem, my chiro set me up with a ball and some good lower back stretches and exercises. I also added core and it has made a big difference for me as far as no more back aches. If I even feel a slight pain, I realize I haven't done the ball. I do it and feel better right away.

2007-02-06 7:41 AM
in reply to: #680350

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
LHablas - 2007-02-05 7:49 PM
  • Refinement of swimming technique (last few weeks were focused on just getting used to the water and building some endurance) - it's time to start creating some efficiency.
  • Ramp up my running.  While playing competitive soccer, a full 90 at a high work rate was not an issue for me; since wrecking my knee late in '01 and getting fixed in early '02, I've not run consistently.  My training runs feel good and I feel like I'm headed in the right direction, just need to do more of them.
  • Work on bike/run intervals.  Lots of people have told me the transition from bike to run is tough; articles I've read indicate the same.  Somebody recently shared that doing 5-10 min intervals on the trainer and then hopping off and doing 5-10 min runs and repeating several times is a great prep tool for this aspect of the tri.  We'll see.

There are some great swimming articles on this site that I have just started looking at. There are a series of 10 lesson articles with some good drills. He even includes pics and a few movies to see the drill.

Be carefule with the extra running. Add mileage slowly.

2007-02-06 10:21 AM
in reply to: #631738

Regular
RE: Planter Faciitis..I stopped running for a while. I now tape, ice, run on soft surfaces and do a lot more streching. So far so good. I good friend has had good luck with the night sock.

Tips from this guy were helpful:
http://www.webtennis.net/plantar-subscribe.htm

Edited by shallowsaltwater 2007-02-06 10:22 AM
2007-02-06 10:42 AM
in reply to: #680988

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

This site is good also, key words: "A program of home exercises to stretch your Achilles tendon and plantar fascia are the mainstay of treating the condition and lessening the chance of recurrence."

in 2003 I was suffering from sore heals, sore Achilles and tight calf's that ended with me tearing my calf Soleus muscle.  Besides running incorrectly (heal striking) I was not doing enough or the proper calf stretches. The 2nd bent knee stretch is the one I do the most now days, it gets the Soleus/Achilles the best for me.  I have also taken to ice my feet/cold pool myself after runs and also massage my the bottom of my feet.  The fibrous tissues really get little knots in them that I have to loosen up.  This has helped me a lot in the pool, I no longer get foot cramps like I used to.

2007-02-06 11:06 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

jonathan22 - 2007-02-06 8:06 AM My update: Training is coming along great. I'm learning alot. Learning item #1 Been trying to do the following swim workout: 1600 pyramid: 2x50 on :60, 2x100 on 2:, 2x150 on 3:, 2x200 on 4:, and back down. This leaves me with 10-15 seconds rest between intervals. Not enough OR I'm trying to swim too fast. Either way, I'm figuring out how hard I can push the swim. I think 20-30 second rests on the 150 to 200s are about right.

Wow that's not much time for resting.  I use 15-30 on 50's, 30-60 on 100-200 and 60-120 on anything longer.  My goal is to become efficient not tired.  Granted everyone is different in terms of recovery though when it comes to swimming.

Learning item #2 Heart rate of 130-140 on the bike is what I should be aiming for. Since I've started, I've up'd the intensity every week. Week before last I was dead tired so I backed off pushing so hard and am now trying to maintain a 135 HR which seems about right.

My recent Bike LT test of 173 gives me a Z1 of 113-142 and Z2 of 143-154.  135-140 is my comfy zone.  Make sure you are maintaining proper cadence when upping the intensity.  Do a bike LT test when you get a bit more time in the saddle.

Learning item #3 Had to revamp my running schedule a few weeks ago. 3 days/week just wasn't enough. I'm now at 4 days per week. 1 day is a long run. 1 day is interval work. 2 days are easy days. Using the McMillan site (I acutally used a different site to get to the same result), know that my long and easy runs should be about 10:30. Based on my most recent 6.2mile effort, my intervals should be at a 8:15 pace. I've come to accept that my speed in college will take a while to come back. "Be patient" I keep telling myself. "A year from now, the times will come down; I've only been running for 2 months now."

I only do interval work when races are coming up, and they are only really race pace intervals.  You have a good background in running though so I'm not going to judge this.  You will be rocking in 6 months!

2007-02-06 11:08 AM
in reply to: #680486

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
run joe run - 2007-02-05 10:16 PM
Donto - 2007-02-05 2:55 PM

All right guys.  So how's your training coming along?

Last time I rode was Jan 29th, 8 days ago.  Last run was a couple days before that.  Was dealing with ITB again and now fighting the flu.  UUGH!!  Oh well, I'll make it.

Man viruses are the worst to get!  Get well soon before that vacation in paradise!

Stretch those hips good for that ITB.

2007-02-06 11:25 AM
in reply to: #680350

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
LHablas - 2007-02-05 7:49 PM So far so good, but I'm still in that nebulous area where the reality of a race, my first tri ever, is off in the distance (April 28)...this said, my swimming's improving, my cycling's fine (an upcoming ~9.5 TT will be a good guage), and my running's coming along too.  The biggest thing at this point - I'm healthy!  It seems that so many people are dealing with "crud" right now and so far my body's put up a good defense.  My plans for the coming weeks include:
  • Refinement of swimming technique (last few weeks were focused on just getting used to the water and building some endurance) - it's time to start creating some efficiency.

A local Master instructor (and in some reading I done, in BT posts) stated to build technique/efficiency you need to create artificial speed to better learn the feel of the water, he advocates the use of fins for this.  Since I purchased my fins my speed has improved.  Granted I also have done way more swimming the past two months that I ever have.  But I can feel the water no like never before, when my rotation is not correct, when my head/chest is too high and I'm dragging my legs.

• Ramp up my running.  While playing competitive soccer, a full 90 at a high work rate was not an issue for me; since wrecking my knee late in '01 and getting fixed in early '02, I've not run consistently.  My training runs feel good and I feel like I'm headed in the right direction, just need to do more of them.
  • Work on bike/run intervals.  Lots of people have told me the transition from bike to run is tough; articles I've read indicate the same.  Somebody recently shared that doing 5-10 min intervals on the trainer and then hopping off and doing 5-10 min runs and repeating several times is a great prep tool for this aspect of the tri.  We'll see.

Work on your running form now so that when you start ramping up you are not wasting a lot of energy.  This goes hand in hand with the bricks.  You have to keep your pedal rate up.  When you start your brick keep the run stride rate same as your pedal rate (~90-95), but the run stride length short.  As your legs get aquainted to the run you then will naturally start to increase your stride length.  I have an article on this somewhere that I need to find.  I'll post it in a new post.

Keep up the great work everybody - I enjoy being part of this group and look forward to sharing a good race report with everybody before too long!

That's the attitude!  We look forward to reading it, I'll never froget my first race!

Edited by Donto 2007-02-06 11:42 AM
2007-02-06 11:54 AM
in reply to: #681144

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

OK, the following is a great article from T3 Coaching regarding how to come off the bike and begin your brick run.  I follow the same principles when I start my runs.  I start my WU, I try to make sure that my stride rate is high enough but I use shorter stride lengths and as I warm up I increase my speed by simply increasing the stride lengths.  Hope this helps!

December 30, 2002

Infamous Run

We are refering to the third segment of a triathlon.  We all know from our numerous BRICK workouts what this feels like.  The “awkward” feeling is generally due to biomechanical deficiencies and not conditioning. The following article should help you reduce this “awkward” feeling leading you to a more successful run coming off of the bike.

How long are your crank arms?  That’s an odd question.  However, this has a lot to do with your run coming off of the bike. When we ride the bike, our biomechanical disposition is determined by crank arm length in regard to leg length.  The longer your crank arm is the more your leg must extend from the knee and hip joints.  This is critical to understand because when we run, we are taught that to increase speed, we must increase stride length and foot strike turnover.  So what do we do when we train?  Obviously we attempt to increase stride length and leg turnover with regard to foot strike.  For the purpose of this discussion let us make the comparison of foot turnover to cadence or Revolutions Per Minute (RPMs) on the bike.  Now getting back to the visualization of your riding your bike for “X” miles at 85-95 RPMs.  When we come off the bike why change this?  The answer is we do not change this.  However, we must take the crank arm length into account.  Why?  Simply, because when we run our stride length is always going to be longer than our crank arm length. 

Stand with your bike beside you and put your feet on the ground the same distance, as your pedal axels are apart at the 3 and 9 o’clock position.  This is the stride length you want to use in the beginning of your run.  Now as you approach the last part of your ride shift to a light gear and maintain your cadence.  Of course the fear here is that your speed will decrease.  This is true but the benefit is in the run.  As you decrease the demand on the legs with a lighter gear and same cadence you can also decrease the amount of lactic acid in your legs accumulated from the ride.  Now dismount your bike and perform the transition of your life.  As you begin to run keep your foot turn over relative to the cadence that you maintained for the majority of your ride.  Your goal is probably between 85-95 RPMs.  Maintain a similar cadence on the run with an average 90.  The trick here is to keep your stride length short enough to resemble the distance of your feet with relation to the crank arms on the bike.  As you progress into the run you can lengthen your stride until you are running your normal gait pattern with relation to stride length.  Your turn over rate of your feet or “cadence” will not change.  The only thing that changes is the stride length.  I hope this helps all of you with that “awkward” feeling a little.

Denny DePriest
Triathlete / Coach

2007-02-06 5:32 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
jonathan22 - 2007-02-06 7:06 AM My update: Training is coming along great. I'm learning alot. Learning item #1 Been trying to do the following swim workout: 1600 pyramid: 2x50 on :60, 2x100 on 2:, 2x150 on 3:, 2x200 on 4:, and back down. This leaves me with 10-15 seconds rest between intervals. Not enough OR I'm trying to swim too fast. Either way, I'm figuring out how hard I can push the swim. I think 20-30 second rests on the 150 to 200s are about right. Learning item #2 Heart rate of 130-140 on the bike is what I should be aiming for. Since I've started, I've up'd the intensity every week. Week before last I was dead tired so I backed off pushing so hard and am now trying to maintain a 135 HR which seems about right. Learning item #3 Had to revamp my running schedule a few weeks ago. 3 days/week just wasn't enough. I'm now at 4 days per week. 1 day is a long run. 1 day is interval work. 2 days are easy days. Using the McMillan site (I acutally used a different site to get to the same result), know that my long and easy runs should be about 10:30. Based on my most recent 6.2mile effort, my intervals should be at a 8:15 pace. I've come to accept that my speed in college will take a while to come back. "Be patient" I keep telling myself. "A year from now, the times will come down; I've only been running for 2 months now."
Good work!!

2007-02-07 9:03 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

Thought about when to ditch a workout. When you are having a bad workout, how do you know when to suck it up and keep going and when to quit. I don't have an answer, but have some indicators to help with your decision. Sometimes it is mental and you need the break. Sometimes you need to overcome the mental part and push through. This takes experience. Is it a once in a while thing or is it regular 1+ times per week.

Ok, so far I haven't really said anything right :-) Well on my long run this morning, I felt very fatigued and no energy in the legs. I also did my Tues run after work instead in am so I knew legs might be a little tired. During this 3m I am talking to myself saying no way I can do the whole run. Mile 2 I try to pick up the pace to normal and it is a 1' slow and feels harder than it should. You see where I am going. At what point do I bag this run. Well, I had my HRM on. My HR is only upper zone 1 to lower zone 2. I  know I am not over trained or overly fatigued. If I was the HR would be way up. So I keep going. At the 4m point I run my normal pace and start feeling better. My last 7m were faster than ever and my overall time ended up being my fastest despite the slow start. However, if my HR had been up or legs started really hurting I would have stopped. Just another way to use your HRM as a tool.

It still takes experience to know when to bag one. I have had runs in the heat and partially dehydrated that I finished no matter what. I know what it took to recover from that and know to bag those kind of runs now.

2007-02-07 10:35 AM
in reply to: #682447

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
TitanIV - 2007-02-07 10:03 AM

Thought about when to ditch a workout. When you are having a bad workout, how do you know when to suck it up and keep going and when to quit. I don't have an answer, but have some indicators to help with your decision. Sometimes it is mental and you need the break. Sometimes you need to overcome the mental part and push through. This takes experience. Is it a once in a while thing or is it regular 1+ times per week.

OK, so far I haven't really said anything right :-) Well on my long run this morning, I felt very fatigued and no energy in the legs. I also did my Tues run after work instead in am so I knew legs might be a little tired. During this 3m I am talking to myself saying no way I can do the whole run. Mile 2 I try to pick up the pace to normal and it is a 1' slow and feels harder than it should. You see where I am going. At what point do I bag this run. Well, I had my HRM on. My HR is only upper zone 1 to lower zone 2. I  know I am not over trained or overly fatigued. If I was the HR would be way up. So I keep going. At the 4m point I run my normal pace and start feeling better. My last 7m were faster than ever and my overall time ended up being my fastest despite the slow start. However, if my HR had been up or legs started really hurting I would have stopped. Just another way to use your HRM as a tool.

It still takes experience to know when to bag one. I have had runs in the heat and partially dehydrated that I finished no matter what. I know what it took to recover from that and know to bag those kind of runs now.

Perfect timing Cameron!

Last night I ran home and right off I didn't feel "right", the WU HR was about 5-7 bpm higher than normal for the WU and I felt like I couldn't catch my breath.  After 17 min "WU" I attempted my first 10k race pace interval and could only muster a 7:56 pace for a 1/2M, I was totally out of it.  I did a recovery jog for 30 sec then walked for a 90 sec and got the HR back down to low Z1 then resumed a slow run until the next interval.  After my HR came down I felt better and during the slow run things just felt "right", the HR was upper Z1 where is should be.  I came up onto the next interval (1 Mile) and felt absolutely fine and did a 7:29 mile.  I repeated the recovery and on the final 0.7M interval I did a 7:20 pace interval.  Interestingly enough my HR avg for each interval was the same at 165-167.  On my cool down I tried to figure out what was different about this evening leading up to the run. 

What did I do wrong?

1. I ate a decent size meat sandwich at 6pm, lots of protein, ~ 400-500 calories based on on-line counters.
  2. I ate a yogurt with fruit ~ 90 minutes before my run, 290 calories, mostly do to the fruit (sugar) content.

So say I had ~750 calories in the 4 hours before I ran with the latest 290 of it 90 minutes before hand with lots of sugars.  Based on the Hammer Nutrition article of when and what to eat before an event, I totally busted the 100 Calorie per hour rule! 

So like Cameron said. Is it overtraining/fatigue? Dehydrated? When & what you last ate? A cold festering behind the scenes? Experience and logging helps to track issues like these and hopefully prevent them from happening again...

2007-02-07 12:17 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
Anyone know anything about Giant Trinity A1 Tri bikes?
2007-02-07 1:30 PM
in reply to: #682829

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Bluejack - 2007-02-07 1:17 PM Anyone know anything about Giant Trinity A1 Tri bikes?

Not really.  Quick search says it has a composite Al frame and 105/Ultegra specs.  Did you see a good price for it?

2007-02-08 9:59 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA

Just bought the bike with stock wheels and trainer wheels. It's my present for busting my @$$ at work and training. Mjolner isn't upset.  He's psyyched to become the hill meister ride. 

I just work too darn hard not to have equipment that our two doctor income can afford.  I was on the fence and I asked Erin, and, to muy surprise, she said go ahead.

Ps, who do we talk to to get them to alphabetize the mentor groups so we don't have to search all the threads to get our group.

Edited by Bluejack 2007-02-08 9:59 AM

2007-02-08 10:36 AM
in reply to: #683879

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Bluejack - 2007-02-08 10:59 AM

Just bought the bike with stock wheels and trainer wheels. It's my present for busting my @$$ at work and training. Mjolner isn't upset.  He's psyyched to become the hill meister ride. 

I just work too darn hard not to have equipment that our two doctor income can afford.  I was on the fence and I asked Erin, and, to muy surprise, she said go ahead.

Ps, who do we talk to to get them to alphabetize the mentor groups so we don't have to search all the threads to get our group.

Great, where are the pix!

I have a link on my Log page setup so I don't have to search the forums for it.

2007-02-08 2:30 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA

Ok I put the link  for our page on my log page. Bluey no smarti.

Edited by Bluejack 2007-02-08 2:33 PM

(Trin A1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Trin A1.jpg (2KB - 39 downloads)
2007-02-09 2:04 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Hey guys.  I just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed being a part of this group and that I appreciate everyone's participation.  When I started my whole triathlon thing I was already in a place where I really enjoyed working out.  Working out or training, whatever you want to call it, with a triathlon goal and people on BT to share it with just made it better to the 10th power.  Now due to my ongoing ITBS, every time I move, whether training or not, it's with trepidation.  I now dread getting on the bike or running because I know I won't be able to go as long as I want to or worse I may not even be able to go as long as I did last time.  I'm in good shape and I've always been active enough to mantain a healthy level of fitness, so when I started triathlon it was for fun.  It's simply no fun anymore.  This has affected my family and I've neglected my business as well, so I've decided to take a break for awhile.  I'm going to get my life in a little better order mentally and then we'll see what happens physically.  One always seems to be tied to the other.  I'll still lurk around a little because I'm excited to see how everyone's first race or first race of the year goes, but for now adios.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

2007-02-09 2:31 PM
in reply to: #685527

User image

Elite
Evans, GA

Good luck! We will be waiting for your return!

2007-02-09 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
run joe run - 2007-02-09 3:04 PM

Hey guys.  I just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed being a part of this group and that I appreciate everyone's participation.  When I started my whole triathlon thing I was already in a place where I really enjoyed working out.  Working out or training, whatever you want to call it, with a triathlon goal and people on BT to share it with just made it better to the 10th power.  Now due to my ongoing ITBS, every time I move, whether training or not, it's with trepidation.  I now dread getting on the bike or running because I know I won't be able to go as long as I want to or worse I may not even be able to go as long as I did last time.  I'm in good shape and I've always been active enough to mantain a healthy level of fitness, so when I started triathlon it was for fun.  It's simply no fun anymore.  This has affected my family and I've neglected my business as well, so I've decided to take a break for awhile.  I'm going to get my life in a little better order mentally and then we'll see what happens physically.  One always seems to be tied to the other.  I'll still lurk around a little because I'm excited to see how everyone's first race or first race of the year goes, but for now adios.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Joe...before you completely bail, how about finding a local chiro or massage therapist that specializes in Active Release Technique.  We've got quite a few folks in our local tri club dealing with ITBS.  One of the presentations at our meeting last week focused on the benefits of Active Release, specifically as it relates to helping mitigate/prevent ITBS.  You never know, if you've not explored this as a possible solution, you might find an answer.

Though I've not had ART used on me, I did undergo "rolfing" treatment a couple of years via a local massage therapist.  Rolfing is similar in that it focuses on the  soft tissue release...bottom line: it worked wonders!

Keep us posted re: your situation!

Lou

2007-02-12 12:31 PM

Regular
Hey Joe,

If you not having fun, there is nothing wrong with getting away from it. I'm sure you'll be back when mentally ready.

2007-02-13 3:58 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA

Our thread is on a bit of a downer lately!

I had a rough bike ride on Sunday, and work is a beeotch, but otherwise IMAZ prep is going well. I hope you guys are well. I'll run through y'all's logs tonight or tomorrow.

2007-02-13 4:06 PM
in reply to: #689645

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Bluejack - 2007-02-13 4:58 PM

Our thread is on a bit of a downer lately!

I had a rough bike ride on Sunday, and work is a beeotch, but otherwise IMAZ prep is going well. I hope you guys are well. I'll run through y'all's logs tonight or tomorrow.

Can't let that happen!  I need to post more useless documents and links!

As some of you may know, I ran a 10k last Saturday. Ran a PR 45:53 and was way better than my pre-race goal of a 48 flat.  Swam on Sunday and had to use the pull buoy for must of it as my legs were DEAD!  I'm hoping to get in an easy run tonight.

Ditto on the work deal, building a presentation with a business meeting on Thursday...

Edited by Donto 2007-02-13 4:08 PM
2007-02-13 4:11 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
run joe run - 2007-02-09 3:04 PM

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Joe,

I totally understand.  "Life" takes priority, get well and come back when you can. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DRM's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 15