of 15

2006-12-22 12:44 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: DRM's Group - FULL

Name: DRM / Don

Story/Family Status: I am a 41-year-old father of two young children ages 7 (boy) & 5 (princess!) and am married to a wonderful woman.  I’m 5’10” with a medium frame build and currently weigh 174lbs at ~ 9% body fat.  

I’ve always considered myself athletic.  Until I was 10, I grew up on an Indian Reservation without a lot of modern conveniences and was always running and riding my bike.  I took martial arts from 5th grade until 10th grade and again a few times as an adult.  In Middle school I ran track and cross-country and once did a 5:04 mile and played lacrosse.  In High school I played Football and Lacrosse. 

As an adult I played a lot of rec sports (flag football, softball, volleyball) until I was in my mid 30’s when we moved to FL and started our family.  When our youngest was almost one my wife and I decided it was time for us to get back into shape as we both experienced the ups & downs of the two pregnancies, I peaked at 205 lbs!  Super Bowl Sunday 2002 was my first run in eons, 1.6 miles and I died.  I had a hard time staying with workouts even though we joined the local YMCA and all.  I had no goal to get me to were I wanted to be, back to 170 lbs of “twisted steel and sex appeal!”  My business partner who’s life was a close emulation of mine had a friend that was a triathlete and was doing Ironmans.  Well he got the kick (type A personality) and more or less it rubbed off on me.  In the fall of 2002  I did a team sprint were I rode the bike, I loved the triathlon event atmosphere!  I was determined to do better and did more unstructured training and in the spring of 2003 I got an over use leg injury that nixed my fist tri attempt.  I started running a lot in ’03 and did several run races in the fall/winter of ’03/04 and did another team tri event (Oly) in the fall of ’03.  

In the Spring of 2004 I found BT and officially became a TRIATHLETE.  Since then I have gradually progressed until this past year when I dedicated myself to doing training plans and logging my training and have learned so much along the way regarding the use of Heart Rate Monitoring and Nuturtion.

Last Year's Races: Last year I did 2 Sprints, 1 Olympic and 1 Half Iron Man (HIM). I also ran a 5K race which I established a PR without training for it.

2007 Races:  Same races I did in ’06 with a long course tri planned in April.  I plan on several 10k run races too and will probably be talked into a ½ marathon.  Currently I have no desire to do an Ironman due to limitations with available training time and want to just do better at what I have already been able to do.

Current Training: I will be initiating a year long plan that Ron whipped up using a beta program that may become a BT feature.  I have started strength training again and am trying to get my swimming up to par.  I love doing the challenges on BT and I have become somewhat of a champion of getting swim, run, bike challenges throughout the past year going to help others and myself towards completing a short term goal in a team atmosphere.  We are currently doing the 2nd annual Dec swim challenge.

Weight loss: Overall since 2002 from 205lbs ~ 30% body fat to 174lbs and ~ 9% bodyfat.  Since January 06 I dropped from 186 lbs.

Wrapping It Up:  My training is mostly part of my commute back and forth to/from work as I work a lot of hours.  I live in FL so I can swim, bike, run in the great outdoors often.  One of my biking partners is a friend I met through BT when I first join BT in the spring of 2004.  I would love to share all that I have learned over the years with others.  Checkout my training log and I hope I can assist you with making a wonderful lifestyle change.

Edited by DRM 2007-01-02 10:40 AM

2006-12-27 9:49 PM
in reply to: #631738

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: DRM's Group - OPEN

Hi Don:

I'm interested in joining your group.  Using your info. as a template, my story's below:

Story/Family Status: I am a 43-year-old father of two - Madison (8) and Patrick (6) - and married to a great lady, Beth.  I’m 5’9", with a medium frame build and currently weigh ~180 w/ ~15% body fat (it's amazing how much it flucuates based upon my water intake during a given day)

As a child, I was fortunate to live in a n'hood with lots of other kids, all pretty close in age, and as a result we were a very active bunch - soccer, football in the yard, street hockey, skateboarding, etc., biking in the woods, etc.  You name it, we probably did it.  Soccer, however, was the big thing for me.  From 3rd grade until my late 30's, I played on some type of organized team, including HS, club ball in college, and amateur league post-college and beyond.  I also played a lot of golf in my youth and ran track (sprints and sprint relays).

As an adult, soccer, mountain biking, and running were my primary pursuits.  During the early years of living in Atlanta, I always made it a point to run the Peachtree Road Race (10K) as well as some odds-and-ends 5K's, 4 milers, and once, on a whim while in New York City, I ran the Frostbite 10 Miler with a couple of friends.  Unfortunately, life as I knew it came to a screeching halt one cool October afternoon in 2001 when I blew out my right knee during a game.  The MRI showed I'd torn my ACL and meniscus damage was evident as well; surgery in Jan. '02 bore out the meniscus damage to include both medial and lateral meniscus as well as the already known ACL.

After the operation and due to the fact that the surgeon was able to sew up my medial, I had to be non-weight bearing on my right leg ~4 weeks.  **NOTE - this fact caused quite a bit of tension in our home, because the kiddos were quite a bit younger and we don't have family in town so Beth had to carry almost the full load for longer than initially anticipated (thanks to yours truly not reading the pre-op notes as carefully as I should've).

As a result of the atrophy in my right quad and me pushing too hard too fast during rehab to try and bring it back, I actually put myself further behind due to knee pain and the subsequent need to back off the weight being lifted.  Fast forward a bit and the knee finally started making some headway.  As a result, I started riding my mtb (with road slicks) near our home; I also started taking spin classes at the local Y.  I liked spinning so much that I became certified and eventually earned a teaching slot (6AM, Tues); at the same time, after getting sick of trudging along on my mtb and wanting to be able to ride with a neighbor, I bought a "real" bike in August 2005 and threw myself into getting up to speed.  I rode solo, I joined group rides, I rode with friends from the Y.  Eventually I connected with a group of guys who specifically focus on tri.  This past summer me and the "tri guys" logged a lot of miles via regular "first light," 50+ milers on Saturdays.  As we moved into the fall, the bug took hold and I made the decision that while they were busy getting ready for IMLP I was going to prepare for my first sprint tri in 2007.

Like you, I found BT and have jumped in with both feet.  I've already started logging stuff and have the Swim-focused (my weakness) training program locked and loaded in anticipation of my April 28 date with destiny.

Last Year's Races: nada, though this past year I successfully completed my first century ride (hit the 100 mile mark in <6 hrs) as well as completed a four-day, 270 mile ride across the state of Georgia with some friends.

2007 Races:  One (or maybe several) sprints plus some cycling-specific rides.

Current Training:  Nothing specific, though my tri friends share their swim plans with me; BT's swim-focused plan is what I'll be using beginning on Jan 8.

Weight loss: I need to log this more actively.  Beth says I look trimmer (and I see it), but I'd like to drop my % body fat to low dbl-digits or single.

Wrapping It Up:  I'm excited to see what the coming months will bring and really look forward to completing my first tri!

2006-12-28 9:12 AM
in reply to: #634821

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Hi Lou,

Welcome aboard! Man bummer on the knee deal, I'm glad though it's OK these days for you and you can go 100%.  We'll make sure your prepped and ready for the Sprint at the end of April.  Don't worry, you'll love the sprints and pretty sure you'll be looking for an Olympic for the 2nd half of the year to do ;)  Hopefully along the way we can share encouragements as I could certainly use some for my biking and a kick in the pants for getting in some early morning workouts!

I'll be kicking off the 07 training plan on 1/15 after a business trip.  In the meantime I'll add you to my blogs and be checking in here and there...

Oh, wanted to add, I bought one of these a few years back and check my own BF periodically after an newbie trainer at the Y couldn't figure out if I was 25% or 35% BF!  http://www.athletes.com/store/acc/accu.html

Don

Edited by DRM 2006-12-28 9:17 AM
2006-12-28 2:00 PM
in reply to: #635006

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Excellent!  Looking forward to being "comrades in arms," Don.  Hopefully a few more folks will join the group soon.

Re: bike encouragement, I'll certainly do what I can; and, re: the early AM w/o's, you and me are in a similar boat...I tend to be more owl-like as well.  In fact, it just occurred to me today that I need to add "Consisten early AM w/o's" to my Short-Term goals.

Thanks too for the BF caliper link - on my "To Order" list.

Happy New Year and safe travels - look forward to catching up soon.

Lou

2006-12-29 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Name: Jonathan

Story/Family Status: 34yo husband and father of 2 girls (5yo and 6yo). 6'1" with small frame. Currently at 175lbs.

I ran cross country in college (early 90s) at a weight of 135lbs (can you say skinny). During that time, I ran a low 5 min mile (5:05 I think), a sub 20 min 5k and a sub 40 min 10K.

Since college over the last 10 years I have worked out occasionally. At the beginning of 2005 I put myself on an exercise program which I have been on-again/off-again for most of the last 2 years. On of my goals this past year was to get my bench up to 225. I got it up to 190 which was the highest it's been.

Current Training: I'm just getting back into it. I can confortable bike for 1.5 hrs now and swim for .5 hours. The running part is what is killing me.

2006-12-29 1:48 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC

2006-12-29 1:57 PM
in reply to: #636677

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Welcome Jonathon!

Let me know what your 07 goals are.  Do you want to do a triathlon, concentrate on training, etc.  So what's killing you on your running, your history!?! Dang those are some good times. 

This was your first post I see, over time you will find using BT training log a valuable tool and the amount of info and feedback you can/will receive in the forums unbelievable.  I'll add you to my blog list and check in with you as we go forward.  I look forward assisting you to stay with it and accomplish goals...

Don

jonathan22 - 2006-12-29 2:44 PM Name: Jonathan Story/Family Status: 34yo husband and father of 2 girls (5yo and 6yo). 6'1" with small frame. Currently at 175lbs. I ran cross country in college (early 90s) at a weight of 135lbs (can you say skinny). During that time, I ran a low 5 min mile (5:05 I think), a sub 20 min 5k and a sub 40 min 10K. Since college over the last 10 years I have worked out occasionally. At the beginning of 2005 I put myself on an exercise program which I have been on-again/off-again for most of the last 2 years. On of my goals this past year was to get my bench up to 225. I got it up to 190 which was the highest it's been. Current Training: I'm just getting back into it. I can confortable bike for 1.5 hrs now and swim for .5 hours. The running part is what is killing me.

2006-12-29 2:42 PM
in reply to: #636708

User image

Master
Sorry Don, I meant to include those.

As far as goals go I have the following races lined up:

CPR 10K - March 3 - This is a local 10k that is all down hill. My goal is to just finish this one.

Sprint Triathlon – Lake Lanier – May 5 - This will be my first triathlon. It's setup so that it's exclusivly for first timers. http://www.triathlons.net/Atlanta/

Tri the Parks Triathlon Race Series, Richard B. Russell State Park - June 2 - I might try to do this one. Haven't registered for it and undecided. It's an Olympic event. I probably wont but I'd like to wait and see how my training goes and how the CPR 10K goes.

Peachtree Road Race – Atlanta – July 4

TRI Peachtree City Sprint Triathlon – Peachtree City – August 26

Chicago Marathon – Chicago – October 7

My wife and I both have decided to do the Chicago Marathon. Should be a fun time.

Yes, what kills me on running is knowing what I used to be capable of and that I'm starting over now. It kills me when I'm winded after 20 mins and I used to do 20 milers regularly. Getting old sucks.
2006-12-29 2:54 PM
in reply to: #636751

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Now were talking!  Good goals.  BTW LHablas (aka Lou) is also from your area.

Getting old sucks.
No getting & being lazy sucks, I'm now in some of the best shape of my life!

jonathan22 - 2006-12-29 3:42 PM Sorry Don, I meant to include those. As far as goals go I have the following races lined up: CPR 10K - March 3 - This is a local 10k that is all down hill. My goal is to just finish this one. Sprint Triathlon – Lake Lanier – May 5 - This will be my first triathlon. It's setup so that it's exclusivly for first timers. http://www.triathlons.net/Atlanta/Tri the Parks Triathlon Race Series, Richard B. Russell State Park - June 2 - I might try to do this one. Haven't registered for it and undecided. It's an Olympic event. I probably wont but I'd like to wait and see how my training goes and how the CPR 10K goes. Peachtree Road Race – Atlanta – July 4 TRI Peachtree City Sprint Triathlon – Peachtree City – August 26 Chicago Marathon – Chicago – October 7 My wife and I both have decided to do the Chicago Marathon. Should be a fun time. Yes, what kills me on running is knowing what I used to be capable of and that I'm starting over now. It kills me when I'm winded after 20 mins and I used to do 20 milers regularly. Getting old sucks.
2006-12-29 4:07 PM
in reply to: #636677

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Welcome Jonathan!  Where do you live?  As Don noted, I live in Alpharetta.  My first tri (ever) is the Tri the Parks race at John Tanner State Park on April 28.  I looked at the Lanier race as well - I like the sound that one "My First & My Next" - but decided to do the Carrollton race (entered in the Novice Men's division) instead.  Perhaps we can schedule some training rides/runs between now and then.

Lou

2006-12-29 4:14 PM
in reply to: #636837

User image

Master
I'm in Alpharetta as well. Right at Kimball Bridge and Jones Bridge.

Training rides and runs sound good.

2006-12-29 7:39 PM
in reply to: #636843

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Excellent...let's see if we can connect soon and nail down some shared training.  What sprint prep plan are you using to get ready for the 5th?  I'm using one of the swim-focused plans from this site - set to kick in on Jan 8.

2006-12-29 9:44 PM
in reply to: #636956

User image

Master
No real training plan as of yet. Right now I'm just trying to work up to 2 hrs swiming per week (I'm at 1 hour), 3 hours bike (I'm there) and 3 hours running (not even close).

The only training plan I'll end up following this year will be a hybrid of Jeff Galloway's marathon program.

I usually do a 45 min to 1 hour ride from my house into Johns Creek Technology park. Swimming is usually done at Bejing Fitness.
2006-12-30 8:17 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
Hey folks. Steve, AKA Bluejack here.  I'll write a longer intro later today.  I'm from Augusta, GA and I've been a triathlete for about 1.5 years.  I'm currnetly training for my first IM.  I've done a few challenges with DRM as team captain. More later today.
2006-12-30 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Hi guys - I would like to join in as well. 

Name: run joe run/Joe

Story/Family Status:  I am a 35yo, soon to be 36yo, married father of two.  10yo daughter (kid triathlete) and a 3yo sin son.  Whoops, is there such a thing as a typing Freudian slip?  I am 5'10" and currently 156 lbs, but my racing weight last year was about 151.  I think that puts me in the small frame category.  When I started training for triathlons I went to a nutritionist because I knew I wasn't doing things correctly.  I weighed 143 lbs with 8.7% body fat. 

I too have always considered myself to be athletic, except for a lot of my 20's - a mere 25% of my life - where I didn't exercise enough and drank/partied too much.  As a child I spent a lot of time hiking/camping and just playing outdoors.  I also played football and some baseball, basketball, and track. 

I became more motivated as I approached my 30th birthday and began to exercise more, but had no goal.  I got a set of free weights and did some cardio on a Nordic Trac thing.  I own a roofing company so every winter when we were slow I would get in pretty good shape and then by the end of the summer my fitness would decline.  As the business grew I spent less time in the field and more time behind a desk and you guessed it, my fitness declined.  Christmas 2005 I gave my wife an elliptical trainer and even though I don't like it I began to use it in addition to the weights.  As spring turned to summer I began to run outside and was soon doing three miles. 

I had seen the Ironman championship on TV as a kid a couple of times, but my real introduction to triathlon came after my first, and only, 5K race.  I signed up for a 5K that was a companion event to a triathlon.  My wife did the race with me and when it was over we watched the swimmers go thru T1.  I was hooked!  I came home and googled "triathlon" and found BT.  I immediately added biking on my MTB and swimming in our neighborhood pool and at the lake to my training regiment.

Last Year's Races:  A 5K and two sprints.  My first race was awesome, but I probably shouldn't have done the second one as I was battling ITBS.

2007 Races:  I have registered for the Lonestar sprint (March 31st) and I'm planning to do my inaugural race again, as well as the tri that started it all for me at that 5K race.  Finally, I want to do a HIM in Sept.

Injury Status:  As a result of my ignorance and zeal I spent most of my training time last year in Z3 and a lot in what was probably high Z3 to low Z4 and that set the stage for an injury.  I went from running 3-4 miles to running 5 miles on hills one day and then two days later 6 miles, BAM!  I got to learn what ITBS stood for.

Current Training:  I have worked on rehabbing my ITB and I'm now back up to running 3-4 miles twice a week.  I am biking a little and swimming some, but I really haven't set a plan since I feel safer listening to my body and when I feel anything alarming I take a couple days off.  I just got a Heart Rate monitor and plan to learn how to use it and train a lot smarter and safer this year.  I think I need help with HR training and using rest/recovery time.

Wrapping It Up:  My life is very busy.  My wife owns her own business as well, and our daughter is very active with sports, so training time is limited and sporadic.  I'm going to try to be creative with training time this year to achieve my goals, but I think I need help setting a plan and sticking to it.

I'm excited to get back to where I was last year and continue on, and I'm looking forward to "working" with you guys.  This is going to be good.

Thanks

Edited by run joe run 2006-12-30 1:28 PM
2006-12-30 1:52 PM

Regular
Bangalore, Karnataka
Hey Guys, i would also like to join this group if DRM is willing !

Name - Avinash

Story - I am a 34 year old father of one (year and a half old boy) and my wife is still trying to comprehend my newly aquired craze for this sport ! I am 5'9" and weigh about 70kg (still not used to pounds)

I have always been into sports and outdoors and have generally stayed 'fit' (i use the term loosely) through life. Used to play soccer, cricket, basketball among others...

I was hooked to triathlons while watching TV once back home in India and some channel was covering this tri-race. I was totally fascinated and decided I had to do it. I used to live right next to the sea so i borrowed a friends bike, and between the pool in my building, and biking and running right by the sea outside I had my training going. Then I realized that there are actually no triathlons in India (my home country) at all.

As luck would have it I got the opportunity to transfer to the US with my company and among other things I realized that would at least get to take part in a triathlon. My first tri was Clemson Sprint last year in May, I did it without any training whatsoever and sure enough was last in my AG and pretty much among the last few finishers !!

My second tri was Lake Lanier and did much better with a MOP finish... still have a long long way to go... unlike other athletes I have no strong sport, I am average in all three; the only thing is that I love being in open water and actually enjoy that part of a triathlon !!

I havent yet decided my races for 07 but definitely want to inclue an Olympic distance race next year... am also planning to run the Atlanta Half-Marathon

Current Training - I make sure that I work out 4-5 times a week but dont really have a fixed plan. Apart from the three sports i mix it up with soccer, yoga, racquetball, rock-climbing - basically any activity I can find !!

That's about it... It would be fun to learn from you guys and I realize that there are some others in this group from Atlanta - so it would be great to ride together sometime...

Avinash

2006-12-30 3:37 PM
in reply to: #637305

User image

Master
Avinash,
Which Lanier triathlon did you do, the one in May or the one in Oct?
I plan on doing the one in May. The water temps concern me and I'm thinking about renting a wetsuit.
2006-12-31 7:54 AM

Regular
Bangalore, Karnataka
Jonathan, i did the one in Oct to close out the year... in my opinion the water temp is not really an issue - my first tri was in may and water was nice and warm (compared to the freezing cold outside !)...

in fact, both the triathlons i did, the water seemed to be warm enough - maybe i was plain lucky...
2006-12-31 9:35 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA

here is my Bio folks! 

Name: Bluejack/Steve

Story/Family Status: I'm a 35 year old married guy with one son aged 20 months.  I live in Augusta, GA and I work as a general surgeon at the VA Medical Center in Augusta.  I was born in Philadelphia, PA at the MEthodist Hospital in South Philly, but my family moved to western Massachusettes when I was four.

My parents broke up when I was eight and we moved to the five college area of Western Mass. (i.e. Smith/Hampshire/Mt. Holyoke/Amherst and UMASS).  I had a pretty liberal background there!  Lotsa out of work artists and 6 million grad students. 

I was a fairly scholarly youngster and was a nerd/athlete in high school. I played Varsity Football/Diving/Swim Team/Lacrosse and Track and Field. I was a decent athlete but nothing compared to my family's extensive athletic pedigree.  While I'm happy for my family's successes, this has always left a bit of a chip on my shoulder.  My Dad played on Two national championship soccer teams at Rutgers, My cousin was an olympic field hockey player, another cousin was a state wrestling champion etc. etc. So despite some relative success early on, I've never fully removed this chip! 

In college I partied a lot and got a bit overweight. I played club rugby on the Colby A side.  I was very fast for my size (4.6 40 yard dash and 230 lbs some of that was beer!) and I excelled at my position as an outside center, going against guys who were 150-160.  I really loved rugby, and until I started triathlons, I feltlike this was the sport of my life.

Unfortunately, in the winter of my senior year I was playing pick up B-Ball and I partially tore my left ACL and injured some cartilage. I rehabed this injury, but it took a long time and I was supposed to wear a brace.  When I went on to medical school, I couldn't play with the brace so I just played on the Rugby team without it.  During my 2nd year I got hit by two players and blew out my knee the rest of the way.

It took me about two years to recover from that surgery.  In the mean time I Graduated medical school and moved here to Augusta for y residency.  I met my wife and got out of shape for five years as I worked 120 hour weeks.

In August 2005, I watched my wife run the Kessler Lightning 10k in Atlanta.  She and some friends ran and I felt extremely left out watching on the sides.  I started training for Kiawah 1/2 Mary for last year and had a great time.  I started crying when I finished because I felt so great that I could be athletic again after so long off with injuries and the long hours.  It felt so great that I knew I needed to keep going.  I realized I wanted to know my limits.  I've been trying to test them ever since!

Last Year's Races: 

2005 Jaguar Jaunt 5k, Augusta GA

2005 Callaway Gardens 10k (3rd in AG with a time over 1 hour heh heh!)

2005 Kiawah 1/2 Mary in 2:13 for my first 1/2 Mary. 

2006 March Parris Island Sprint tri- My first Tri

2006 Fort Yargo Sprint

2006 Mistletoe Sprint Middle of the Pack for Clydes.

2006 West Point Lake Oly Tri-

At this point I had a herniated muscle in my left shin from ramping up cycling too fast. It still is an issue but slowly it is getting better. I had planned to do SC HIM to get an idea of what IMAZ was goin gto be like, but instead I rested the shin and just swam. The shin is still a fairly heavy limiter on the bike.

2007 Races: 

ING 1/2 Mary 3/25

Parris Island Sprint Tri (Maybe if I can fit it in) 3/2007

IMAZ! 4/2007

Mistletoe Sprint 7/2007

West Point Lake 8/2007

SC HIM 10/2007

Kiawah Marathon 12/2007

Eventually I think I may go to mostly Olys and Sprints but we will see!

Injury Status:

1.  Hx Fallen left arch and Hx of Bil platar Fasciitis

2.  Hx Broken left ankle mx bilateral ankle sprains.

3. Hx Left ACL repair.

4. Hx Left separated shoulder.

5. left shin compartment herniation.

Current Training: 

I am using the BT Bronze Beginner Full Ironman training schedule.  It is going well. It seems a bit swim heavy, but that's Ok.  My old injuries are holding up fairly well and my shin seems to be getting stronger.  Left shoulder has some tendonitis where the separation was and in the joint I have some cartilage injuries from rugby, but overall it seems to be getting better.

Wrapping It Up:

I look forward to having some more folks to share the tri experience. I'm starting to become more high tech and use HRM etc. in training. I also realize that so much of this is injury prevention to maintain consistency. Over time I would like to be a MOP clyde with some occasional chances to place in a sprint. But for now I'm focused on finishing IMAZ without hurting myself! 

2006-12-31 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Hey everyone - have a Safe & Happy New Year!!
2007-01-01 7:59 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
Let's all have a great 2007!

2007-01-01 12:50 PM

User image

Veteran
hi from ireland,and happy new year.
i would like to join your group,but first i have a question or 2 to ask you regarding myself and my goals.
a few facts about me.
i am a 90 kg, male powerlifter,i compete in the w.d.f.p.a. {world drug free powerlifting assoc.}
i made out national team this year,and have won several national medals, in both full powerlifting and single lifts. this fact should demonsrate the fact that i have the training mind set.
i also,{5 years ago} have done a good bit of mountain work, with weighted back packs,but the distance was never over 12 miles.
in fact i never have run over 12 miles.
i did a bit of rugby training last year,to help with the powerlifting,and to keep the cardio up,and i had no problems with that.

the only cardio i have done since then is on the punchbag, crosstrainer,but i weight train 3 times a week,and even though i am a competive powerlifter,me and the lads train with a lot of{high rep} pyrimad reps and sets, and we train the old way like arnold and franco.benches squats deadlifts, curls .im sure you know the drill.

{in powerlifting}i compete in the 90 kg class, but really i should be more like,76/80kg. i am at least a stone over weight.i have lots of fat to burn before cardio{that i should be doing} starts eating into the muscle/strength i have built up.

is it possible, that a guy like me could train him self up in 6 months for his first ironman?
i have no problems with the blood n guts routine.
my friend is doing it,and he recons i should.the same guy has trained with me before,and is a ex army man who has done the marathon.

i have the luxury of not working this year, so i can keep up the weights.also, i am not worried about competing {much} in powerlifting this year.
the race is the ironman uk which is in august,that gives me 6 mounths, with one recovery mounth.

to see what i mean buy been over weight ,yet into the weights,have a look at my page on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__xa0EIZ34s there is a clip of me and my friends training and i am the one with the gut posing at the start ,and on the bag at the end.

could i do it from base fitness in 6 months?
thank you very much for your time.

Edited by thebullmccabe 2007-01-01 1:13 PM
2007-01-01 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
i forgot to add my age, as of today, i am 32. i have no injuries, and a very low heart rate.
if i do this,i should get ripped.shouldent i? i am as strong as i want to be powerlifting wise, i really feel like this sport could complet me. whats the point of having muscle if its burried under the gut right?

the only concern i would have is of losing all my strength.i was thinking that since i am over weight anyway, i would have quite a while before my fat reserves were burnt up and i was eating into muscle. am i right?
guys in my gym run all the time and are still very strong at the powerlifting,weights etc.
i am hoping i can keep my strength,whilst completing an ironman.

everyones opinion is welcome, so fire away guys.

thank you for your time.

Edited by thebullmccabe 2007-01-01 3:31 PM
2007-01-02 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Good Morning!  Who has what training planned for today?
2007-01-02 9:18 AM
in reply to: #638923

User image

Master
Did 1 hour on the bike this morning.

I should mention that I travel for work Mon-Fri. Mondays are my rest days as they tend to be long days with travelling and work. Tuesdays and Thursdays I ride the bike in the workout center and Wednesdays and Fridays I run on the treadmill (or outside if it is warm enough).

Not optimal, but it will have to do as it's what pays the bills.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DRM's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 15