BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full and training our a$$es off Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2008-01-22 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1170527

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Shermbelle's Group Full like my belly at Thanksgiving
lisazapato - 2008-01-22 3:12 PM

well group, i'm disappointed because i just found out 2 days ago a grad student was robbed (though not hurt) pretty much a stone's throw from my apartment, right where i start all my runs.  so.  this messes with my sense of safety, which i had just recently acquired because new haven really isnt' the nicest place in the world and it took some convincing for me to run outside in the dark at all.  now my planned evening run is out the window.  i don't want to do it, sue me!

my advice - never send your kids to yale, if you were ever hoping to do so.  this is the unsafest town i've ever lived in!

Personally, I'm surprised that you are running alone, and in the dark in that neighborhood. It's not the nicest around. You are a brave woman.

2008-01-22 10:14 PM
in reply to: #1094296

User image

I'm a little late to check-in but I was able to hit my goals last week. 2 swims, 3 rides, and 2 runs. I decided to take a last minute trip to visit my sister in Minneapolis this weekend so my goals have to go down this week. 2s/2b/2r, but over the next two months I'll build from 2s/2b/3r to 2s/3b/3-4r.

Anyone else ever go 'tubing'? My sister is telling me that we're going to do this on Saturday and it doesn't sound too appealing. Crazy Minnesota people and their winter hobbies, jk.
2008-01-23 12:39 AM
in reply to: #1171034

Champion
No excuses!

Nole40 - 2008-01-22 11:14 PM I'm a little late to check-in but I was able to hit my goals last week. 2 swims, 3 rides, and 2 runs. I decided to take a last minute trip to visit my sister in Minneapolis this weekend so my goals have to go down this week. 2s/2b/2r, but over the next two months I'll build from 2s/2b/3r to 2s/3b/3-4r. Anyone else ever go 'tubing'? My sister is telling me that we're going to do this on Saturday and it doesn't sound too appealing. Crazy Minnesota people and their winter hobbies, jk.

Tubing is great. I am sitting here laughing because sledding, tubing, hell anything with snow is what we did growing up and I am just starting to get back into it because I have a two year old. Amazing to me when people don't live with snow how foreign the concept of winter sports are.

I guess it is just like me when I go on vacation in the winter and am wearing shorts when it is 50 out somewhere and the locals are all bundled up.

2008-01-24 3:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville KY
Its official I'm signed up for the Kentucky Derby Marathon, sent it in today. This is my first organized race ever, unless you want want to call my Army PT runs some 20 yrs. ago. Wish me luck (the harder you train the luckier you are). I'll celebrate with a 10 mile long run tomorrow, soon to be my longest run ever.

Hope everybody has a nice and warm weekend.

Tim
2008-01-24 10:52 PM
in reply to: #1174659

Champion
No excuses!

timdude - 2008-01-24 4:26 PM Its official I'm signed up for the Kentucky Derby Marathon, sent it in today. This is my first organized race ever, unless you want want to call my Army PT runs some 20 yrs. ago. Wish me luck (the harder you train the luckier you are). I'll celebrate with a 10 mile long run tomorrow, soon to be my longest run ever. Hope everybody has a nice and warm weekend. Tim

Nothing like diving in head first Wink

Congrats on signing up, now it is time to kick it in!

2008-01-25 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1174659

User image

Expert
timdude - 2008-01-24 1:26 PM
Its official I'm signed up for the Kentucky Derby Marathon, sent it in today.

Congrats, Tim! No turning back now! Enjoy the journey.

Mike

2008-01-25 5:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville KY
I did my 10 miler today I really felt great my breathing was spot on. I never broke stride and this is a hillier course by my house. My times were alot slower and a think its because my route was alot longer, I measured it with my car. My route at work was walked off with a measuring wheel. My hips were not as sore this time but my knees were alittle sore, and my right arch and left outside foot hurt alittle. At 5 miles I popped a hammer jel and drank a bottle of water that really helped give me final kick. I will start working on fueling now since I have longer distances to work with. Someone tell me to shut up!

Have a great weekend

Tim
2008-01-26 12:45 AM

Champion
No excuses!
We'll never tell you to shut up Tim, ( well maybe sometimes Wink) but seriously keep us updated on how it is  going and any struggles you may run into. I having 18 marathons under my legs have had my share of issues and problems over the years and will be glad to answer any questions you have.
2008-01-26 10:06 AM
in reply to: #1176623

User image

Expert
WA

timdude - 2008-01-25 6:08 PM I did my 10 miler today I really felt great my breathing was spot on. I never broke stride and this is a hillier course by my house. My times were alot slower and a think its because my route was alot longer, I measured it with my car. My route at work was walked off with a measuring wheel. My hips were not as sore this time but my knees were alittle sore, and my right arch and left outside foot hurt alittle. At 5 miles I popped a hammer jel and drank a bottle of water that really helped give me final kick. I will start working on fueling now since I have longer distances to work with. Someone tell me to shut up! Have a great weekend Tim

That's awesome Tim!  Another distance record, great job.  No need to shut up, I know the feeling when you want to tell everyone every detail about what you just did .  Keep it up!

Lisa 

2008-01-28 12:39 PM
in reply to: #1177138

User image

Expert
WA

Hello group, what's happening this Monday?  I just checked out my logs and I've run 26 miles this month (POOOOOOR) and biked 86.  Consider I biked 170m in all of 2007 that's pretty good for me .

How's everyone's January closing out?  Should we do a little February challenge within the group?  I have failed for the 2nd month in a row to get to 65 miles running in a month.  LAME!

I'm going to try and run 65 again next month (third time a charm?) and bike 100 miles.  What about all you guys?

Lisa 

2008-01-28 6:37 PM
in reply to: #1179892

User image

Expert
lisazapato - 2008-01-28 10:39 AM

Hello group, what's happening this Monday?  I just checked out my logs and I've run 26 miles this month (POOOOOOR) and biked 86.  Consider I biked 170m in all of 2007 that's pretty good for me .

How's everyone's January closing out?  Should we do a little February challenge within the group?  I have failed for the 2nd month in a row to get to 65 miles running in a month.  LAME!

I'm going to try and run 65 again next month (third time a charm?) and bike 100 miles.  What about all you guys?

Lisa 

Running running running.... man... it feels like I've been getting ready for this $#*(@! marathon forever. My training buddy is really getting tired of the mileage too. Only 5 more weeks

And then 10 more months to IM AZ, but who's counting.

2008-01-29 10:14 AM

Champion
No excuses!
lisazapato - 2008-01-28 1:39 PM

Lisa 

Great job Lisa on the biking. We'll get you up to speed on the running by the end of Feb. Laughing

2008-01-29 10:16 AM

Champion
No excuses!

Hey gang,

Lisa brings up a good idea. We need a challenge for the month of Feb. I have just gone through a little slacking period with my eating and maybe the intensity of my workouts. Need to be on track.

Any ideas on a cool challenge for Feb? Let us know, we have 3 days to come up with something.

2008-01-29 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville KY
I have some running questions my right arch is starting to hurt some like its kind of strained alittle. I have Brooks cts or something, that are closing in on 300 miles. I looking to buy something that will take me from now to the finish of the marathon April 26. I have high arches would arch supports work to help hold my arch I guess to its shape? My mileage really starts to ramp up now and I want to make sure I don't cause any injuries because of equipment (shoes).

Tim
2008-01-29 9:52 PM
in reply to: #1182780

Champion
No excuses!

timdude - 2008-01-29 9:53 PM I have some running questions my right arch is starting to hurt some like its kind of strained alittle. I have Brooks cts or something, that are closing in on 300 miles. I looking to buy something that will take me from now to the finish of the marathon April 26. I have high arches would arch supports work to help hold my arch I guess to its shape? My mileage really starts to ramp up now and I want to make sure I don't cause any injuries because of equipment (shoes). Tim

Where in the arch is it starting to hurt? It could be plantar faciatis which is a tightness in the lower leg region ( calf area) which causes the bottom of the arch to tighten.

Google plantar faciatis or Web MD or even the injury forum and you can learn a lot more about it if it is what you are expierencing

2008-01-30 12:18 PM
in reply to: #1182780

User image

Expert
WA

timdude - 2008-01-29 9:53 PM I have some running questions my right arch is starting to hurt some like its kind of strained alittle. I have Brooks cts or something, that are closing in on 300 miles. I looking to buy something that will take me from now to the finish of the marathon April 26. I have high arches would arch supports work to help hold my arch I guess to its shape? My mileage really starts to ramp up now and I want to make sure I don't cause any injuries because of equipment (shoes). Tim

Tim, I'd go to a local running store (NOT like Sports Authority or something, a real, local running store) and see if they can fit you for shoes. I have really messed up feet, so I have become a bit of a shoe fitting connoisseur, and the right shoes are the only thing that really let me run for more than 45 minutes.

One thing you could try on your own is this:

1) stand with your feet on a sheet of paper, hip width apart with your weight evenly distributed. have someone trace the shape of your foot.

2) if your foot looks like a brick (like mine does) you either have flat feet of overpronate (i overpronate - i have an arch but it collapses when i take a step). then you'll probably need motion control shoes or stability shoes.

3) if your foot looks like the prototypical footprint shape, then you can probably just wear regular shoes, stability or neutral shoes.

4) if your foot seems like all the pressure is on the outside and your arch is super high even when you're stepping, you probably need cushioning shoes.

here's another way to do it:

http://www.zappos.com/runningfitguide.zhtml

i know zappos isn't a running shoe store, but it's a pretty good description of how to choose a shoe.

It's really important to have the right shoe, especially if you're going for a marathon. Good luck! I wear Brooks motion control shoes (Addictions and Ariels) with a PowerStep arch insert. Before I wore those starting a few years ago, I would ALWAYS have pain in a tendon in my heel every time I ran after about 15 minutes, which kept me from running at all. Now I have no problem.

And Mike's thing about Plantar Fasciitis is a good point - you definitely want to check that out because that's chronic and a pain in the butt from everyone I know who's suffered from it.

Hope that wasn't info overload!!!

Lisa

2008-01-30 9:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville KY
Thanks Lisa and Mike for the suggestions, I bought my shoes from a running store the shoes have felt nice and comfortable on runs. I think I need some more arch support since I have high arches. All my aches and pains go away after I run in general except for the arch pain and its not that big of a deal. I can just feel alittle something, I want to nip it in the bud before it turns into something.

Tim
2008-01-31 9:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Surrounded by 6 states
Tim, I feel your pain, and then some. Mine is just a matter of old age though.
2008-02-01 1:24 AM

User image

Expert
lisazapato - 2008-01-28 10:39 AM

Lisa 

Well, this month I only missed 1 of my scheduled workouts, so that's pretty good. They were all fairly low volume, but the plan was to increase my consistency, which I've done! Actually because of the consistency, my overall volume was higher, even though the workouts were generally lower. Cool.

My shoulder has been bothering me and it's still sore so my coach is removing my swim workouts and shoulder exercises for the next week to rest it. Just ice and ibuprofen and rest for the shoulder, but more running and biking instead. No complaints here.

As far as a challenge, I'm probably crazy but I've gotten back into a diet soda habit that I know my wife and my dentist would love me to quit. So since February is a short month (damn leap year), I'll challenge myself (and anyone else) to no carbonated beverages for the month. I'll just stick to the Propel or SoBe Lean or, God forbid, plain water. Maybe that will give me the willpower to break some other bad habits, but I'll leave swearing off frozen yogurt for some other month.

Mike
2008-02-01 11:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville KY
I went to a different running store today to check my shoes and look into arch supports. The lady was very helpful, she determined that my shoes were to small. She sees this alot from the other running store I bought them from. The owner of the other store was a sub 4:00 miler and likes shoes to fit snug, this must be a trait of short distance runners.

Anyway I had a new pair of Saucony Grid phoenix shoes at home that are about a size bigger, she suggested to wear them and see if that helped the arch problem, and come back later if I had any more problems. At no time did she try and push any shoes on me or pressure me into buying something. So I bought a couple pair of balega socks and a fuel belt. I think I have found a new running shop. I have a 7 miler Sat. and I'm back on night shift tonight for a month so we'll see if that effects my training.

I hope everyone has a great superbowl weekend, I met my bride 19 yrs ago at a superbowl party, bad part was my Bengals lost

Tim
2008-02-02 1:20 PM
in reply to: #1190736

User image

Expert
WA

timdude - 2008-02-02 12:15 AM I went to a different running store today to check my shoes and look into arch supports. The lady was very helpful, she determined that my shoes were to small. She sees this alot from the other running store I bought them from. The owner of the other store was a sub 4:00 miler and likes shoes to fit snug, this must be a trait of short distance runners. Anyway I had a new pair of Saucony Grid phoenix shoes at home that are about a size bigger, she suggested to wear them and see if that helped the arch problem, and come back later if I had any more problems. At no time did she try and push any shoes on me or pressure me into buying something. So I bought a couple pair of balega socks and a fuel belt. I think I have found a new running shop. I have a 7 miler Sat. and I'm back on night shift tonight for a month so we'll see if that effects my training. I hope everyone has a great superbowl weekend, I met my bride 19 yrs ago at a superbowl party, bad part was my Bengals lost Tim

oh definitely, i need my shoes big too.  i wear size 6/6.5 pumps, but size 8 running shoes - big difference!  how sweet about you and your wife - do you have a quasi-anniversary every Super Bowl? 

today I biked OUTSIDE!!  it was nice.  45 degrees with gusty winds, but very pleasant and sunny.  woo!  century ride, here i come!  it is SOOO HILLY around here, that i think 15 miles here is = 20 miles flat.  that's my story and i'm sticking to it! 

2008-02-02 6:04 PM
in reply to: #1191096

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville KY
lisazapato - 2008-02-02 2:20 PM

how sweet about you and your wife - do you have a quasi-anniversary every Super Bowl? 

Lisa at this point in the game you just try and keep it all together. A couple kids keep us very busy, tired, and happy.

Had a good run today warm and sunny.

Tim
2008-02-04 4:46 PM

Champion
No excuses!

Hey gang,

Back from death, I was sick as  a dog this weekend after an absolutely crazy work week last week.

I am on for the no carbonated beverage challenge this month. I have been pop free since Jan 1 and have had temptations but have resisted. I also need to get my eating in order. The last couple of weeks I have found reasons to slack and have taken full advantage of them. Need to get on track right now!

Hope everyone is having a good week.

2008-02-05 11:18 AM

Champion
No excuses!
Subject: RE: Shermbelle's Group Full and training our a$$es off!

Did a FTP test on the bike today. WOW did that hurt. 20 min all out to see how many watts I could hold.

Has anyone ever done this before?

2008-02-06 6:40 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Subject: RE: Shermbelle's Group Full and training our a$$es off
Where are all my peeps at? Please don't tell me you are all stuck under all this snow we are getting in Michigan Frown
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full and training our a$$es off Rss Feed  

of 21