BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-08-30 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED

I am back to reality after my 4 days in Oregon.  What BEAUTIFUL country!  The Hood to Coast Relay race was an absolute blast.  A very different running experience.  My second run was at 3 am on a gravel road, uphill ( 700 ft climb over 5.75 miles) through the coastal mountains.  Plus, many of the teams have crazy themes complete with costumes and decorated vans. Like the team running in  Storm trooper helmets, tighty whities  and high white socks, no shirt.  Or my favorite, the IRONMULLETS - had an ironman logo  and the M-dot had a mullet and the entire co-ed team wore mullet wigs.  Our team came in 6th in the Mixed Masters Division (co-ed over 40), so we get an automatic entry into next year's race.  Otherwise you have to go through the lottery. The course is 200 miles and our time was 29:34:26.

2011-08-30 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3666375

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
suzimmer - 2011-08-30 2:06 PM

I am back to reality after my 4 days in Oregon.  What BEAUTIFUL country!  The Hood to Coast Relay race was an absolute blast.  A very different running experience.  My second run was at 3 am on a gravel road, uphill ( 700 ft climb over 5.75 miles) through the coastal mountains.  Plus, many of the teams have crazy themes complete with costumes and decorated vans. Like the team running in  Storm trooper helmets, tighty whities  and high white socks, no shirt.  Or my favorite, the IRONMULLETS - had an ironman logo  and the M-dot had a mullet and the entire co-ed team wore mullet wigs.  Our team came in 6th in the Mixed Masters Division (co-ed over 40), so we get an automatic entry into next year's race.  Otherwise you have to go through the lottery. The course is 200 miles and our time was 29:34:26.

Wow.  Sounds fun!

2011-08-31 5:56 AM
in reply to: #3666375

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
suzimmer - 2011-08-30 5:06 PM

Ha! I love it!! Sounds like you had a great time!
2011-08-31 5:57 AM
in reply to: #3664986

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ecpasos - 2011-08-29 9:13 PM

I'm doing a half marathon on Sunday down at Disneyland! And I get to relive my childhood love of the park and share with my little sons. Hoping to beat my previous best of 1:46:02 in March. I think I can considering that this course is flatter and I've been training a lot since then.

The leader of my marathon pace group, Erin, is doing that race. Enjoy enjoy! She's really looking forward to it.
2011-08-31 6:01 AM
in reply to: #3660758

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Corncub - 2011-08-26 12:16 PM

Hi everyone, just checking in to say hi. Everyone around here is talking about the Hurricane. Its the first time ever in NYC that they're talking about shutting the entire mass transit system down and they already have clled for an evacuation of old folks and infirm out of lower Manhattan, my feeling it they are playing it really safe. If Irene isn't as big as expected I know a lot of people who are going to be really pissed off! On the other hand, I hope Irene isnt as big a deal as expected.

I find all this new weather (August in NY is now monsoon season) more then a little depressing.

I was living in Brooklyn and working out on the Island in '99 when Floyd went over. It wasn't fun.
2011-08-31 7:18 PM
in reply to: #3666369

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
suzimmer - 2011-08-30 5:05 PM

ecpasos - 2011-08-29 8:13 PM I'm doing a half marathon on Sunday down at Disneyland! And I get to relive my childhood love of the park and share with my little sons. Hoping to beat my previous best of 1:46:02 in March. I think I can considering that this course is flatter and I've been training a lot since then.

Good for you!  I would love to do a disney race one day.  They give the best Bling!

Yup, I'm definitely into doing a Disney race sometime, when my kids are older...  Suzimmer, congrats on The Hood to Coast, those all night races sound HARD! 

2011-08-31 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3662643

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY

stephsprint - 2011-08-28 10:55 AM Did not do the Miami speed relay today. Was unsure about the 1/2 mile swim. I know...I'm a wimp. I was to swim, my friend to bike and my spouse to run. I didn't want to give them a slow start. I really need to get over that kind of thinking.

I think its hard doing the swim leg unless you are feeling confident. I agree that you dont need to be fast and I doubt your hubby and friend care how fast of slow you are, but its no fun to feel scared in the water, that defeats the whole purpose of the race which is challenge yourself but also to enjoy it. I think it can even be dangerous to swim when you are feeling unsure of yourself, especially during a race when you're heart rate is already up. I'd say keep practicing open water swims, maybe you'll do the relay next year: ) You made a smart choice.

2011-09-01 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3668211

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Corncub - 2011-08-31 8:26 PM

stephsprint - 2011-08-28 10:55 AM Did not do the Miami speed relay today. Was unsure about the 1/2 mile swim. I know...I'm a wimp. I was to swim, my friend to bike and my spouse to run. I didn't want to give them a slow start. I really need to get over that kind of thinking.

I think its hard doing the swim leg unless you are feeling confident. I agree that you dont need to be fast and I doubt your hubby and friend care how fast of slow you are, but its no fun to feel scared in the water, that defeats the whole purpose of the race which is challenge yourself but also to enjoy it. I think it can even be dangerous to swim when you are feeling unsure of yourself, especially during a race when you're heart rate is already up. I'd say keep practicing open water swims, maybe you'll do the relay next year: ) You made a smart choice.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. We've been having afternoon thunderstorms and a LOT of jellyfish in the past few weeks, so our OWS workouts have been canceled over and over. I think that's a sign. Overall, I think that starting this TRAINING thing in January and hurting the foot in February, and taking two months off running, having to cancel the Nautica (which I'm doing next year) and my half marathons (doing them this time) but getting that first Triathlon in July 4th. I've learned a LOT about what I can and cannot do. The marathon training is forcing some discipline and the triathlon training is providing some great cross training. I've also lost 6lbs and gained TONS of fitness. Considering I spent the previous 10 years drinking beer/wine and doing nothing, I prefer this lifestyle...with all it's ups and downs!

Cheers!
2011-09-01 11:18 AM
in reply to: #3668662

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
stephsprint - 2011-09-01 7:35 AM
Corncub - 2011-08-31 8:26 PM

Thanks, that makes me feel better. We've been having afternoon thunderstorms and a LOT of jellyfish in the past few weeks, so our OWS workouts have been canceled over and over. I think that's a sign. Overall, I think that starting this TRAINING thing in January and hurting the foot in February, and taking two months off running, having to cancel the Nautica (which I'm doing next year) and my half marathons (doing them this time) but getting that first Triathlon in July 4th. I've learned a LOT about what I can and cannot do. The marathon training is forcing some discipline and the triathlon training is providing some great cross training. I've also lost 6lbs and gained TONS of fitness. Considering I spent the previous 10 years drinking beer/wine and doing nothing, I prefer this lifestyle...with all it's ups and downs! Cheers!

Good for you!  Life rarely unfolds exactly as we want, so appreciating the things we do accomplish instead of dwelling on the "misses" is great.  Stay in touch! 

2011-09-04 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3668202

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Corncub - 2011-08-31 7:18 PM

ecpasos - 2011-08-29 8:13 PM I'm doing a half marathon on Sunday down at Disneyland! And I get to relive my childhood love of the park and share with my little sons. Hoping to beat my previous best of 1:46:02 in March. I think I can considering that this course is flatter and I've been training a lot since then.

Good for you!  I would love to do a disney race one day.  They give the best Bling!

You are not a wimp. One of the things I've had to learn is listening to my body and my instincts.  They save my life.

IM is one week away.  Seven days from now I hope to be on the final loop of the run.    I had some IT syndrome developing but I got smart and listened and did some extra care...missed a bike workout, shortened a run...happening during taper so the fitness is there.  I need to be healthy.  I did extra rolling, massage, and It's repaired.  I did opne hard bike as called for yesterday, my last, 2 hours at 75% and all was well.

Bike problems resolved with a new fork.  Last two rides have been focused on form to eliminate back soreness.  Have done well. 

I have one more run tomorrow, short and then it's all about packing and getting up there Thursday. 

I changed out the rubber and oiled the drive train, cleaned the bike, practiced changing a flat with the race wheels.  All good.  Changed out all the batteries involved.  Will test ride really easy tomorrow to make certain everything is back together right. 

Excited, confident, not cocky, not crazy.  That's all good too.

Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know when I know.  I think my bib number is 2757. 

I may drop in again to calm down

Ice.

Yup, I'm definitely into doing a Disney race sometime, when my kids are older...  Suzimmer, congrats on The Hood to Coast, those all night races sound HARD! 

2011-09-05 7:09 AM
in reply to: #3672961

User image

Master
Orlando
IceManScott - 2011-09-04 6:33 PM
Corncub - 2011-08-31 7:18 PM

You are not a wimp. One of the things I've had to learn is listening to my body and my instincts.  They save my life.

IM is one week away.  Seven days from now I hope to be on the final loop of the run.    I had some IT syndrome developing but I got smart and listened and did some extra care...missed a bike workout, shortened a run...happening during taper so the fitness is there.  I need to be healthy.  I did extra rolling, massage, and It's repaired.  I did opne hard bike as called for yesterday, my last, 2 hours at 75% and all was well.

Bike problems resolved with a new fork.  Last two rides have been focused on form to eliminate back soreness.  Have done well. 

I have one more run tomorrow, short and then it's all about packing and getting up there Thursday. 

I changed out the rubber and oiled the drive train, cleaned the bike, practiced changing a flat with the race wheels.  All good.  Changed out all the batteries involved.  Will test ride really easy tomorrow to make certain everything is back together right. 

Excited, confident, not cocky, not crazy.  That's all good too.

Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know when I know.  I think my bib number is 2757. 

I may drop in again to calm down

Ice.

You sound like you are primed and ready to go!  I know you'll have a great event; very excited for you! Good luck and let us know how it went.

Ann-Marie

2011-09-05 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Well, I managed to finish the Disneyland half marathon in 1:42:42. It is a PR which is a nice accomplishment. However I was really hoping for sub 1:40. I was a little disappointed from that perspective, but I am trying to realize that it just wasn't my day to get that one done.
2011-09-05 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3673373

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH

ecpasos - 2011-09-05 10:29 AM Well, I managed to finish the Disneyland half marathon in 1:42:42. It is a PR which is a nice accomplishment. However I was really hoping for sub 1:40. I was a little disappointed from that perspective, but I am trying to realize that it just wasn't my day to get that one done.

AWESOME JOB!!!

2011-09-05 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

ecpasos - 2011-09-05 9:29 AM Well, I managed to finish the Disneyland half marathon in 1:42:42. It is a PR which is a nice accomplishment. However I was really hoping for sub 1:40. I was a little disappointed from that perspective, but I am trying to realize that it just wasn't my day to get that one done.

Sub 8 minute miles...  That is no joke my friend.  You should be proud of that, for sure.  Wish I could run at that pace for that kind of distance.  Maybe next year...  Look how far you have come this year,  you define IronMan.  I am proud to call you my friend.

2011-09-05 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

So Maria and I did a sprint this weekend...  It was a short race, so after training for 1/2 Irons all summer (doing another one next weekend) It was a lot of fun to just drop the hammer for 42 minutes. 

Maria and I had a deal, if she could race at a pace of 19 mph on her bike, I would buy her a new one.  (ask her, and I am sure she will be happy to show you a photo of the new bike she is getting as of Saturday)  so no matter how my day would have went it was a great day...  I could not possibly be any more proud of my wife.

Lucky for me, the stars lined up just right, and I was able to pull off a 1st in my AG, although that was only half of my story.  Out of 181 entries in my race, I took 7th place overall.  I try not to be the kind of guy to brag, especially in a public forum, but this was just too big to keep to myself.  I know lots of triathletes I have met over the past two years... and lots of them have much larger accomplishments in my opinion.  And to say I have had a tuff summer of racing is a small understatement.  But I must say after a what I like to refer to as the summer of 100 degrees, I was very happy with my performance, for the first time all summer.  Sure you can always find something in every race you wish was better or faster, but all in all, I will take it.

2011-09-06 6:01 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

ecpasos - 2011-09-05 9:29 AM Well, I managed to finish the Disneyland half marathon in 1:42:42. It is a PR which is a nice accomplishment. However I was really hoping for sub 1:40. I was a little disappointed from that perspective, but I am trying to realize that it just wasn't my day to get that one done.

Way to go Sir Speedy!  I've run a number of Disney races and it's no small feat to PR in them with the crowds and the often times narrow paths.  Great job!

2011-09-06 6:02 AM
in reply to: #3674042

User image

Master
Orlando
discipleguideservice - 2011-09-05 9:15 PM

So Maria and I did a sprint this weekend...  It was a short race, so after training for 1/2 Irons all summer (doing another one next weekend) It was a lot of fun to just drop the hammer for 42 minutes. 

Maria and I had a deal, if she could race at a pace of 19 mph on her bike, I would buy her a new one.  (ask her, and I am sure she will be happy to show you a photo of the new bike she is getting as of Saturday)  so no matter how my day would have went it was a great day...  I could not possibly be any more proud of my wife.

Lucky for me, the stars lined up just right, and I was able to pull off a 1st in my AG, although that was only half of my story.  Out of 181 entries in my race, I took 7th place overall.  I try not to be the kind of guy to brag, especially in a public forum, but this was just too big to keep to myself.  I know lots of triathletes I have met over the past two years... and lots of them have much larger accomplishments in my opinion.  And to say I have had a tuff summer of racing is a small understatement.  But I must say after a what I like to refer to as the summer of 100 degrees, I was very happy with my performance, for the first time all summer.  Sure you can always find something in every race you wish was better or faster, but all in all, I will take it.

Congrats to both Maria and you!

2011-09-06 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ecpasos - 2011-09-05 10:29 AM

Well, I managed to finish the Disneyland half marathon in 1:42:42. It is a PR which is a nice accomplishment. However I was really hoping for sub 1:40. I was a little disappointed from that perspective, but I am trying to realize that it just wasn't my day to get that one done.

Wow, that's so good!
2011-09-07 6:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY

congrats Joshua, thats AMAZING! I can imagine you must be flying high right now: )

Sounds like you had a great 1/2mary Ecpasos. Since I'm new to racing I'm still at a point where every race I do is either a PR or I underestimate what I'm goign to do and come out feeling satisfied. Were you able to figure out why you didn't hit the times you were looking for? Was your sleep and nutrition the week before the race good? Weather? Hydration? Were you in a positive mindset? So many factors....

Steph, I'm a noob too, and like you, I had a ROUGH start. My first 18 months of training were nutz, it was one injury after another from going out too hard and learning my limitations the hard way. What a steep learning curve there is with Tri training.

2011-09-08 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3676947

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Corncub - 2011-09-07 4:27 PM

congrats Joshua, thats AMAZING! I can imagine you must be flying high right now: )

Sounds like you had a great 1/2mary Ecpasos. Since I'm new to racing I'm still at a point where every race I do is either a PR or I underestimate what I'm goign to do and come out feeling satisfied. Were you able to figure out why you didn't hit the times you were looking for? Was your sleep and nutrition the week before the race good? Weather? Hydration? Were you in a positive mindset? So many factors....

Steph, I'm a noob too, and like you, I had a ROUGH start. My first 18 months of training were nutz, it was one injury after another from going out too hard and learning my limitations the hard way. What a steep learning curve there is with Tri training.

You are all so supportive.  Thanks.  I appreciate the comments.  I will likely spend some time thinking of those variables that Corncub mentioned.  Sub-1:40 was really a stretch goal and to have gotten it would have probably taken all of the variables to be favorable, which I know they were not.  I'm not sure if it's possible to get all of them perfect.  I think that's one of the things that keeps me coming back for more.  I like that concept of striving to do it better the next time.

Josh, congrats on your race!

2011-09-09 6:24 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
The Marathon training continues... we add a mile tomorrow. 7 miles doesn't seem like much but we ARE going over the causeway and back. That ought to add a little spice to it.

Sunday a Firefighters 5k to remember. It was an ugly day in Manhattan 10 years ago. We've since moved twice and miss NYC more all the time. I've seen some programs on TV about the memorial and it looks beautiful. I'll be back on the 17th - 23rd and will head down to check it out.

Have a good and thoughtful weekend everyone.

If you're racing, GO GET 'EM!!!

2011-09-12 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Marathon run was good! 7 miles. 5k was inspirational but tough...isn't that weird?

Back in the pool this morning with the team after a long layoff, and the water was cool! phew!
2011-09-13 1:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

Thank you everyone for the props on my race a couple of weeks ago.  This past weekend was my "A" race for this year.  I did Rev3 Cedar Point (half distance) with a number of friends.  Was able to have dinner with Laura and her husband Dan along with 9 other people (who are all close friends of ours)  Great night in Laura's home town.  She knew just the right place to take everyone.  I am so lucky to have met people here on BT that I believe will remain life long friends. (that includes you Enrique - Bridge to Bridge still on the docket)

My time at the race was 5:43:31 slicing a staggering 40 minutes off my Racine IM70.3 time.  If anyone is interested here is a link to my blog that has the entire story.  I will post a regular race report sometime next week.

http://aardvarkvinyl.blogspot.com/2011/09/revolution-3-cedar-point.html

As the season is winding down, I want to thank everyone for a very supportive summer, and I want to invite everyone in the group to join us for our little reunion race in Columbus, Oh on Oct 2 for the Fall Challenge at Deer Creek.  It is a fun little race put on by HFP,  but it is really more about meeting up with old friends, as well a new ones.  A number of us who met on BT have committed to making this an every year event.  I hope everyone here will consider joining us.

2011-09-13 7:16 AM
in reply to: #3683675

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
discipleguideservice - 2011-09-13 2:30 AM

Thank you everyone for the props on my race a couple of weeks ago.  This past weekend was my "A" race for this year.  I did Rev3 Cedar Point (half distance) with a number of friends.  Was able to have dinner with Laura and her husband Dan along with 9 other people (who are all close friends of ours)  Great night in Laura's home town.  She knew just the right place to take everyone.  I am so lucky to have met people here on BT that I believe will remain life long friends. (that includes you Enrique - Bridge to Bridge still on the docket)

My time at the race was 5:43:31 slicing a staggering 40 minutes off my Racine IM70.3 time.  If anyone is interested here is a link to my blog that has the entire story.  I will post a regular race report sometime next week.

http://aardvarkvinyl.blogspot.com/2011/09/revolution-3-cedar-point.html

As the season is winding down, I want to thank everyone for a very supportive summer, and I want to invite everyone in the group to join us for our little reunion race in Columbus, Oh on Oct 2 for the Fall Challenge at Deer Creek.  It is a fun little race put on by HFP,  but it is really more about meeting up with old friends, as well a new ones.  A number of us who met on BT have committed to making this an every year event.  I hope everyone here will consider joining us.

So amazing!! What an inspiring race blog!
2011-09-13 9:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I thought I posted this in here earlier. IM Moo report. Thank you for all your support and encouragement.  The BT website is a priceless tool to get to know great friends like I've gotten here. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=268368

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106