BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-15 12:58 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

So I have to fess up...I've been slightly frustrated about, well, I guess just working really hard but (almost) always falling short to the men in races. I always have to say I won overall women. Not just simply "I won."  I realize it's out of my control (well, for the most part) but sometimes it just sucks. Sometimes I would almost prefer having separate races. We will never run faster than men. That's hard to swallow! 

I had recalled reading this article a while back, and at least I'm not alone

http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/i-run-like-a-girl

The quote " I didn’t want to be good “for a girl.” I wanted to be GOOD, PERIOD." really resonated with me.

I'm not sure if any of the other ladies in here feel this. 

As the father of 2 and the husband of one, I feel for you.  

Actually, my race this weekend is 2 separate, gender specific races. I feel bad for the women starting an hour later then the guys.  So, my question back to you is simple. How do we fix it?  What it comes down to (given the 2 minutes that I have pondered this) is to simply do away with OA awards and have Female/Male OA's, just like we have female and male age groups.  I'm sure there would be more to it, but what am I missing?

2015-05-15 1:00 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

May 16-17
Melanie - Got the Nerve? Triathlon on Saturday
Robin - Colfax Half Maraton on Sunday
Janyne - Tour de Cure bike ride (both days)
Kate - Auburn Mini Triathlon on Sunday
Chris - Storm Challenge Tri on Sunday
Randee - Ten Penny Ale Shamrock Duathlon on Sunday

Disabled List
Stacey - back

May 16 is Yanti's birthday

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RACERS!!  I'm looking forward to giving Robin a special Manatee whoop/holler shout-out at her HM.  I'm really going to have to put together a Manatee Cheerleader outfit, given all the pod members racing in the area this year.  Any suggestions are welcome, with the exception of a full body manatee costume.  I draw the line at dancing around in a gigantic foam/fur suit.  I do have a shred of dignity and I'd like to retain that, thank you.

Stacey, I'm sending healing thoughts and as much mojo as I can spare to you.  Hopefully it'll make it there soon.

Yanti, happy happy b-day to you, dear one!!  Hope this next year is filled with many Pop Tarts, fur kid snuggles, and stretches of Kingley time.

Happy weekend everybody!!!

Here you go Mary.  I think this is quite dignified.

Pfffft...forget dignified.

WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because Mary is definitely a super hero Manatee!!!!!!!!!

Ha!  I'd very quickly look like a speed bump Manatee if I wore that thing at the PPA or IM Boulder in August when it's 90*.  Nope.  Sorry.  Not happening.  I'm thinking something more along the line of a manatee t-shirt like this or this, sombrero covered with little stuffed manatees and some maracas with manatee pictures.  In other words, something in which I can breathe and not pass out from the heat.

2015-05-15 1:05 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

May 16-17
Melanie - Got the Nerve? Triathlon on Saturday
Robin - Colfax Half Maraton on Sunday
Janyne - Tour de Cure bike ride (both days)
Kate - Auburn Mini Triathlon on Sunday
Chris - Storm Challenge Tri on Sunday
Randee - Ten Penny Ale Shamrock Duathlon on Sunday

Disabled List
Stacey - back

May 16 is Yanti's birthday

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RACERS!!  I'm looking forward to giving Robin a special Manatee whoop/holler shout-out at her HM.  I'm really going to have to put together a Manatee Cheerleader outfit, given all the pod members racing in the area this year.  Any suggestions are welcome, with the exception of a full body manatee costume.  I draw the line at dancing around in a gigantic foam/fur suit.  I do have a shred of dignity and I'd like to retain that, thank you.

Stacey, I'm sending healing thoughts and as much mojo as I can spare to you.  Hopefully it'll make it there soon.

Yanti, happy happy b-day to you, dear one!!  Hope this next year is filled with many Pop Tarts, fur kid snuggles, and stretches of Kingley time.

Happy weekend everybody!!!

Here you go Mary.  I think this is quite dignified.

Pfffft...forget dignified.

I just really like the fact that Wonder Womanatee is carrying the Golden Lasso!  Evidently, they were after accuracy in the costume making. Because what is more accurate than a mashup of two completely different worlds?!?!  Who comes up with this stuff?

2015-05-15 1:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by cdban66

So I have to fess up...I've been slightly frustrated about, well, I guess just working really hard but (almost) always falling short to the men in races. I always have to say I won overall women. Not just simply "I won."  I realize it's out of my control (well, for the most part) but sometimes it just sucks. Sometimes I would almost prefer having separate races. We will never run faster than men. That's hard to swallow! 

The quote " I didn’t want to be good “for a girl.” I wanted to be GOOD, PERIOD." really resonated with me.

Actually, my race this weekend is 2 separate, gender specific races. I feel bad for the women starting an hour later then the guys.  So, my question back to you is simple. How do we fix it?  What it comes down to (given the 2 minutes that I have pondered this) is to simply do away with OA awards and have Female/Male OA's, just like we have female and male age groups.  I'm sure there would be more to it, but what am I missing?

Yeah...good question. It's something I am pondering myself. 

I like the idea you proposed of Female/Male OA. At least upon first consideration. 

Another piece that is...errr...challenging is the time differences. I was reading about some of those trail races when the women are finishing an hour behind the men and all of the crowd/sponsors/post race festivities have long since gone home. Boy...we all talk about the atmosphere of races. Imagining finishing an ultra into a ghost town.

People like to take jabs on the WNBA and women's soccer and claim it's "boring" but I just feel that you have to look at women's sports through their own lens and not try and compare it to mens. There is something uniquely special about the way women play their sport. I wish more could see that.

I do realize life is not fair.  And I am proud to be a female! But there are challenges like this.

Oh, and thanks Chris, for asking! 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-05-15 1:09 PM
2015-05-15 1:16 PM

User image

Master

I felt this as a youngster (though I never did any cojones kicking...on purpose). 8th grade definitely changed the girl/boy athletic dynamics I had been used to being at the top of. High school even more so. 

And I feel it for raising Mak. She won't hear "for a girl" or "like a girl" from me, and I will correct anyone I hear say it to her. I even had issues with the recent "Like a girl" ad campaign. Trying to turn a negative connotation into a positive...I get it. But it still didn't sit well. Why not "Like an athlete"?

She wrapped it up nicely, I think, though. Running has an equal "playing field" where men and women compete alongside each other. That is awesome as a sport.

2015-05-15 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I like the idea you proposed of Female/Male OA. At least upon first consideration. 

Another piece that is...errr...challenging is the time differences. I was reading about some of those trail races when the women are finishing an hour behind the men and all of the crowd/sponsors/post race festivities have long since gone home. Boy...we all talk about the atmosphere of races. Imagining finishing an ultra into a ghost town.

People like to take jabs on the WNBA and women's soccer and claim it's "boring" but I just feel that you have to look at women's sports through their own lens and not try and compare it to mens. There is something uniquely special about the way women play their sport. I wish more could see that.

I do realize life is not fair.  And I am proud to be a female! But there are challenges like this.

No, thanks for posting, as it will be on my mind on Sunday and I'll make sure I stick around for the women's finish.

As for the WNBA, I consider myself a BBall purist, and love the game before it became Drive, Travel, Dunk, Foul.  So I'll gladly watch a WNBA game, but can't watch the NBA at all.

I think the conversation needs to start at a grass roots level and work it's way up, as well as at a larger, corporate sponsor level and work it's way down. One of the things that is challenging is to have the conversation not become devisive, ie "we want our own race and you're not allowed" along the lines of the child taking his ball and going home. The whole thing plays out as part of the much larger gender equality discussion that has been ongoing for far too long in society. I think we've come a long way, but we still have a long way to go.

And I'll get off my soapbox now.

2015-05-15 1:21 PM

User image

Denver, CO

For anybody looking for a quick boost of energy, why not try this?

You could either have an icing shot or a slice of dry-old German chocolate cake. (Brought to you by cakewrecks.com)

2015-05-15 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I like how many of the major marathons handle the starts, at least for the pro's.  Women start a few minutes before the men and they finish at about the same time. 

The "2nd class-ness" of women's athletics runs deep. I remember last year when Meb won Boston and the announcers kept saying that an American hadn't won since 1983. Um no. That would be Lisa Rainsberger in 1985.

2015-05-15 1:23 PM

User image

Master

I"m not even fast enough to be considered good "for a girl" or "for my age" but I do understand your frustration. I watch Rinny and even Chrissie and see that even as awesome as they are the men are still faster.  

^^^^ This.  To be totally honest, I never even thought about it.  I see your posts, Adrienne, about being X overall (M and F) and think "Holy carp".  I'm just not in that category.  But I agree with your points on women sports in general.  The FIFA World Cup is here in Vancouver and I am sure that you will be able to buy tickets right up until game time for many of the games.  Mens World Cup--not so much.  There are definitely differences between men's and women's sports, but I agree that they have to be looked upon seperately.  Both are exciting to watch, if for different reasons.

2015-05-15 1:34 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by IronOx

I"m not even fast enough to be considered good "for a girl" or "for my age" but I do understand your frustration. I watch Rinny and even Chrissie and see that even as awesome as they are the men are still faster.  

^^^^ This.  To be totally honest, I never even thought about it.  I see your posts, Adrienne, about being X overall (M and F) and think "Holy carp".  I'm just not in that category.  But I agree with your points on women sports in general.  The FIFA World Cup is here in Vancouver and I am sure that you will be able to buy tickets right up until game time for many of the games.  Mens World Cup--not so much.  There are definitely differences between men's and women's sports, but I agree that they have to be looked upon seperately.  Both are exciting to watch, if for different reasons.

Adrienne, I'm not picking on you, but the discussion needs to come from a different angle(or better yet, many angles), because so few of us can relate to your experience.  The discussion has to be relatable to all, or at least have a different piece that all relate to.  As a father, I want my girls to have every opportunity in life that I had and more.  As a high end racer, you want to have every opportunity in races that others have.  As a mother, Erin wants something else, and so on for everyone in this group and beyond.  The joy for me in the discussion is that there are soooo many different ways to look at it, but in the end, most of us are after the same thing.  A level playing field throughout.

OK, now I'm off my soapbox. LOL

2015-05-15 1:41 PM

User image

Master

Why are things gendered instead of leveled? Money? Gendering is just a form of leveling? I guess I mean this for sports overall. EVERY male in his sport in not better than EVERY female in the same sport, or would people disagree? Why not have the best of the best competing with each other no matter gender? Not enough women as strong/fast to make it worth their while to attempt "competing" with the men? (Thinking "aloud" thoughts I've thunk before)

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-05-15 1:52 PM

2015-05-15 1:44 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Adrienne, I'm not picking on you, but the discussion needs to come from a different angle(or better yet, many angles), because so few of us can relate to your experience.  The discussion has to be relatable to all, or at least have a different piece that all relate to.  As a father, I want my girls to have every opportunity in life that I had and more.  As a high end racer, you want to have every opportunity in races that others have.  As a mother, Erin wants something else, and so on for everyone in this group and beyond.  The joy for me in the discussion is that there are soooo many different ways to look at it, but in the end, most of us are after the same thing.  A level playing field throughout.

Yeah, excellent point. 

I was rather specific in my complaint when it really is the surface of a much bigger issue. Interestingly I was just reading about the guys losing their sh*t over Fury Road LOL 

http://www.themarysue.com/mra-to-the-max/

2015-05-15 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Why are things gendered instead of leveled?

Didn't you see, I'm off my soapbox 

I don't know why (actually, it is a cultural and historical thing), but I think it is our responsibility to fix that.

2015-05-15 1:48 PM

User image

Master

Okay, now Erins question has me thinking.  Will the playing field ever be level?  The fastest man will always be faster than the fastest woman.  If, one day, it is decided that there should be no gender-ing to sport, will many women not then complain that "It is not fair, we can never win'?  Not trying to stir the pot, just thinking out loud.

2015-05-15 1:50 PM

User image

Seattle

Okay, now Erins question has me thinking.  Will the playing field ever be level?  The fastest man will always be faster than the fastest woman.  If, one day, it is decided that there should be no gender-ing to sport, will many women not then complain that "It is not fair, we can never win'?  Not trying to stir the pot, just thinking out loud.

I don't think the playing field will ever be level. I can't imagine that our bodies will be motivated to adapt in a way that does so. Do you?

2015-05-15 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yeah, excellent point. 

I was rather specific in my complaint when it really is the surface of a much bigger issue. Interestingly I was just reading about the guys losing their sh*t over Fury Road LOL 

http://www.themarysue.com/mra-to-the-max/

Funny!

I don't know much about the new Mad Max but I'm pretty sure Sarah Connor became a badazz about 3 Terminators ago.

2015-05-15 1:53 PM

User image

Seattle

Hmmm, so, what would this mean?

No snarkyness, just curious.

We have levels or I guess, groups in my running club. It makes sense, we should be grouped with people who run the same paces.

There are no females in level 1 or 2.

2015-05-15 1:54 PM

User image

Master

Didn't you see, I'm off my soapbox 

I don't know why (actually, it is a cultural and historical thing), but I think it is our responsibility to fix that.

Now I edited my question for more thought. lol  Get back on that box!

2015-05-15 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

We have levels or I guess, groups in my running club. It makes sense, we should be grouped with people who run the same paces.

The best of the best will always boil down to straight competition, no "handicap" per se.  As soon as you start making allowances for gender, age, speed, color of eyes  then you will always have an asterisk. Racing, either standalone run or triathlon, lends itself to being more easily compared between men and women. The top female soccer player, for instance, cannot as easily be compared to the top male soccer player because of team dynamics, team standings etc.

There are sports like auto racing where women are competative, although they are still a minority.

And, of course, we have the Battle of the Sexes between King and Riggs.

Edited by rrrunner 2015-05-15 2:02 PM
2015-05-15 2:02 PM

User image

Master

I don't think the playing field will ever be level. I can't imagine that our bodies will be motivated to adapt in a way that does so. Do you?

No, and that's my point.  Perhaps it needs to be not about separating genders as much about respecting and appreciating both.  I really liked what Lauren Fleischman wrote.  And the "Like a Girl" campaign said that to me--we have to stop bashing/segregating/disrespecting genders.  "Boys will be boys" instead of holding them accountable--why should they be held to a different standard in matters that should be equal.  "Like a girl"--yes, I do run/throw/whatever like a girl.  And I am proud of it.  Masters swimming, as your run club--we are divided into abilities, not genders.  Respect for both genders--for their individual abilities, strengths.  I'm rambling, and I know it.  I don't know what the answer is, except respect for all.

2015-05-15 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Ah, now we're moving! I think it is important that we define "level". Is it the same speed? The same size? The same strength? The same pay? Yes, I threw that one in to mess the whole discussion up.  Because each of wants a different "level."  While some are speaking of sport, others are speaking career, while still others are mulling over life choices.  

For the sake of a sport based discussion, I think we have to realize that "level" does not mean the same speed, strength or size.  For me, "level" means the same opportunity, be it to race, to train, or to simply participate.  First, remove the gender barriers that take away the opportunity to participate, as well as the socio-economic barriers. We have to develop a sense of self worth within all of our young people so that they feel as though they can go out and do whatever they are gifted to do in life. That falls on the shoulders of not only the Matt's and Erin's of the world, but the aunts, uncles, the sisters and brothers and so on and so on.

Evidently, you've riled me up! 

2015-05-15 2:03 PM

User image

Seattle

The best of the best will always boil down to straight competition, no "hanicap" per se.  As soon as you start making allowances for gender, age, speed, color of eyes  then you will always have an asterisk. Racing, either standalone run or triathlon, lends itself to being more easily compared between men and women. The top female soccer player, for instance, cannot as easily be compared to the top male soccer player because of team dynamics, team standings etc.

There are sports like auto racing where women are competative, although they are still a minority.

Going back to my original "complaint" I think just overall awards for female and male solve my issues. Then they are basically two respective races, run at the same time.

And then handle the longer races the way most marathon majors do with a staggered start so that the finishes are pretty close.

Those two things solve a lot of the "issues"

2015-05-15 2:04 PM

User image

Master

Maybe---you register into a race with a PR, not an age.  You compete against others who have similar abilities.

2015-05-15 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I don't know what the answer is, except respect for all.

You win. 

And I absolutely love this group. Thank you all for the discussion, this is another one of these that will be stuck in my head for a while. A long while.

2015-05-15 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

The best of the best will always boil down to straight competition, no "hanicap" per se.  As soon as you start making allowances for gender, age, speed, color of eyes  then you will always have an asterisk. Racing, either standalone run or triathlon, lends itself to being more easily compared between men and women. The top female soccer player, for instance, cannot as easily be compared to the top male soccer player because of team dynamics, team standings etc.

Going back to my original "complaint" I think just overall awards for female and male solve my issues. Then they are basically two respective races, run at the same time.

And then handle the longer races the way most marathon majors do with a staggered start so that the finishes are pretty close.

Those two things solve a lot of the "issues"

I think most races I've done have awards for OA male and OA female and then age group. The only place I've seen them lumped together, perhaps, is in the results where they sometimes mix genders. I may be simpliying or misunderstanding your use of the term awards.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15541 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28358 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11958 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66815 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55370 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.