BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-12-06 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3927642

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
stephsprint - 2011-12-06 4:44 AM
ecpasos - 2011-12-05 4:52 PM

Argh. I DNF'd my marathon yesterday.  Maybe it was a poor pace goal or poor race execution.. not sure which really, maybe both.  I made it to mile 19 fine, but then the wheels came off.  By mile 20 I went from 8:30 pace to 10 min + some walking.  I decided to call it a day and took one of the relay buses to the finish line.  Glad there were buses.  A smaller race would not have had that option.  I'm a little defeated at the moment.  Just looking forward to 3 weeks of unstructured recovery and rest before starting my off season workouts and setting new goals for next year.

Ugh! These things happen. I'm panicked for my first marathon coming up.

Enrique, sorry to hear about the DNF (that's why we actually *do* the race instead of hypothetically racing). 

Steph, don't dwell on the potential to DNF.  A while back I responded to a DNF concern in the ironman forum this way:  "If you're looking to quit, you'll find hundreds of opportunities to do so.  If you're focused on finishing, you'll overlook even obvious/rational reasons to quit."  (Spoken from experience, not quitting even with the busted wing in 2009.

2011-12-06 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3928117

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
McFuzz - 2011-12-06 10:35 AM

Argh. I DNF'd my marathon yesterday.  Maybe it was a poor pace goal or poor race execution.. not sure which really, maybe both.  I made it to mile 19 fine, but then the wheels came off.  By mile 20 I went from 8:30 pace to 10 min + some walking.  I decided to call it a day and took one of the relay buses to the finish line.  Glad there were buses.  A smaller race would not have had that option.  I'm a little defeated at the moment.  Just looking forward to 3 weeks of unstructured recovery and rest before starting my off season workouts and setting new goals for next year.

Enrique, sorry to hear about the DNF (that's why we actually *do* the race instead of hypothetically racing). 

Steph, don't dwell on the potential to DNF.  A while back I responded to a DNF concern in the ironman forum this way:  "If you're looking to quit, you'll find hundreds of opportunities to do so.  If you're focused on finishing, you'll overlook even obvious/rational reasons to quit."  (Spoken from experience, not quitting even with the busted wing in 2009.

Absolutely right.  I totally think a good deal of this endurance sport is positive self talk and positive thinking.  I am gong to tell you that when the cramps came on mile 80 of IM it never occurred to me to quit. I was worried briefly that I would seize up and have no choice.  But that passed in about 30 seconds, literally.  I focused on what I had to do...slow down a bit on the climbs.  Yes, my bike split was slower than I wanted.  But I had plenty of time.  And just to tell you how confident I was, after dealing with the cramps through the first half of the run, too, I saw Kathy on the sidewalk in the crowd with my coach and his wife and I stopped, kissed her and told her we were getting this done now.  I still had 13.1 miles to go on the first marathon off my life, but I knew this IM was in the bag, mark it down, it was history. 

You can back off the accelerator if you need...pace yourself...whisper strong messages to yourself....smile (actually reduces exertion level when you do).  You've done the work.  Now go have fun.  You'll rock it!   

One thing I was told that really helped on the run - do negative splits.  I was told to start of slower than I thought I should...give the first 6 miles to getting settled in...then slowly ramp up...never miss a food stop...drink, drink, drink. Take your electrolytes.  You will have a grand time and wonderful stories to tell.   

2011-12-06 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3928402

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
IceManScott - 2011-12-06 11:01 AM

Absolutely right.  I totally think a good deal of this endurance sport is positive self talk and positive thinking.  I am gong to tell you that when the cramps came on mile 80 of IM it never occurred to me to quit. I was worried briefly that I would seize up and have no choice.  But that passed in about 30 seconds, literally.  I focused on what I had to do...slow down a bit on the climbs.  Yes, my bike split was slower than I wanted.  But I had plenty of time.  And just to tell you how confident I was, after dealing with the cramps through the first half of the run, too, I saw Kathy on the sidewalk in the crowd with my coach and his wife and I stopped, kissed her and told her we were getting this done now.  I still had 13.1 miles to go on the first marathon off my life, but I knew this IM was in the bag, mark it down, it was history. 

You can back off the accelerator if you need...pace yourself...whisper strong messages to yourself....smile (actually reduces exertion level when you do).  You've done the work.  Now go have fun.  You'll rock it!   

One thing I was told that really helped on the run - do negative splits.  I was told to start of slower than I thought I should...give the first 6 miles to getting settled in...then slowly ramp up...never miss a food stop...drink, drink, drink. Take your electrolytes.  You will have a grand time and wonderful stories to tell.   

Steph, x2 on what Iceman and McFuzz said.  My situation was that I was really pushing on the extreme of my fitness and misjudged something (i.e. nutrition, pace, etc.).  I'm sure you'll be fine, especially if you stay conservative with your targets and prep the best you can.  Also, I *could* have made it to the finish and still put up a time slightly over 4 hours, but mentally I wasn't prepared to put up that kind of a finish time (call me vain) .  For me this race was about a sub 4hr marathon or bust.... and I guess I busted.  I'm sure you will be fine for your marathon!  Stay positive!

2011-12-06 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3928488

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
ecpasos - 2011-12-06 2:05 PM

Steph, x2 on what Iceman and McFuzz said.  My situation was that I was really pushing on the extreme of my fitness and misjudged something (i.e. nutrition, pace, etc.).  I'm sure you'll be fine, especially if you stay conservative with your targets and prep the best you can.  Also, I *could* have made it to the finish and still put up a time slightly over 4 hours, but mentally I wasn't prepared to put up that kind of a finish time (call me vain) .  For me this race was about a sub 4hr marathon or bust.... and I guess I busted.  I'm sure you will be fine for your marathon!  Stay positive!

Nothing wrong with what you did then! 

2011-12-07 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3928488

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
IceManScott - 2011-12-06 11:01 AM

Steph, x2 on what Iceman and McFuzz said.  My situation was that I was really pushing on the extreme of my fitness and misjudged something (i.e. nutrition, pace, etc.).  I'm sure you'll be fine, especially if you stay conservative with your targets and prep the best you can.  Also, I *could* have made it to the finish and still put up a time slightly over 4 hours, but mentally I wasn't prepared to put up that kind of a finish time (call me vain) .  For me this race was about a sub 4hr marathon or bust.... and I guess I busted.  I'm sure you will be fine for your marathon!  Stay positive!

You'll get it next time!   Sub 4 is a terrific goal.  

One thing the Endurance Nation online coaching people drive in about the marathon on the IM (and I suspect it can be adjusted for simply a marathon) is to think about the first 6 miles as a warm up and take them easier than you think you should. By the time that first 6 is over, you are running smooth and the adrenaline isn't driving your bus so you can think clearer and watch the pacing.  Negative splits in practice really help with that mental vision of ramping up over time rather than going out hard and seeing how far I can get before the wheels come off.         

2011-12-07 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3929009

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
McFuzz - 2011-12-06 7:09 PM

Steph, x2 on what Iceman and McFuzz said.  My situation was that I was really pushing on the extreme of my fitness and misjudged something (i.e. nutrition, pace, etc.).  I'm sure you'll be fine, especially if you stay conservative with your targets and prep the best you can.  Also, I *could* have made it to the finish and still put up a time slightly over 4 hours, but mentally I wasn't prepared to put up that kind of a finish time (call me vain) .  For me this race was about a sub 4hr marathon or bust.... and I guess I busted.  I'm sure you will be fine for your marathon!  Stay positive!

Nothing wrong with what you did then! 

Yeah, it felt like the right thing to do at the time.  

Iceman, funny you mention EN.  I actually did follow their pace plan of running the first 5 miles slower and then picking it up.  Unfortunately, upon major reflection and asking of experts since Sunday, I realize now that my chosen pace was way too aggressive.  Something between 3:55 and 4:00 would have been much more appropriate.  The missing piece of the puzzle for me when I was planning my goal pace, was to factor in my weekly mileage properly in the determination of the goal pace.  I didn't realize how much that plays a role in backing off of the online pace predictors.  For example, Macmillan pace calc would have me run a 3:36 goal.  However, I knew there was no way I could do that so I backed off of that by around 10 min. I thought that was enough, but given that my weekly mileage was only around 30 to 35 mpw, I realize now that I really needed to back down a lot more.  A 3:45 goal would have been more appropriate if I'd been running more like 55 mpw.  This was a HUGE learning experience and I think next year I will meet my sub-4 goal if I can stay healthy and keep improving my speed at the shorter distances (10K, 1/2 Mary)

2011-12-08 6:17 AM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Fantastic advice! I just want to finish the marathon. I have another half coming up this Sunday and while I haven't worked through every injury issue yet, I seem to be learning a lot. YOU ARE SO RIGHT about the learning! Damn. I still have hip issues, I'm still sick (it's kinda cold this morning in Miami so I didn't ride my bike), the shin splints are gone. 18 miler last saturday turned into a 7 miler with a 1 mile walk to finish... I plodded so badly I gave myself shin splints. Ever since I fell off the bike a few times early in the summer, it seems to be one thing after another. I'm always recovering or rehabbing something. Currently hip issues...IT band or bursitis, who the hell knows. Massage, Chiro, and ultrasound at 9:30 this morning!

Earlier in the week I was saying some really bad things to myself 'your just too old, fat, and weak to do this stuff' 'why don't you just play golf and go to the gym and stop being ridiculous' Of course, I shut myself up after a couple hours of that, but it's tough. I just have to realize that I cannot do as many weekly miles as other people and I need to spend time in the gym and building strength.

BUT after 7 months of being unemployed I had the 2nd interview for a job I really want, and we are talking salary and start date. PHEW! I really need to have less time available to feel sorry for myself. Very unattractive and really a waste of time, yes?

More advice you have all given me is to think about what I HAVE done. I did my first Tri & My first half. Last year at this time I joined the Tri2One team here in Miami. I couldn't run for 5 minutes and I didn't have a bike. I've lost 15lbs. And most of all, I haven't given up. You guys have a lot to do with that. You take the time to come on here and share your experiences.

Thank youl.
2011-12-08 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3930642

User image

Master
Orlando

stephsprint - 2011-12-08 6:17 AM Fantastic advice! I just want to finish the marathon. I have another half coming up this Sunday and while I haven't worked through every injury issue yet, I seem to be learning a lot. YOU ARE SO RIGHT about the learning! Damn. I still have hip issues, I'm still sick (it's kinda cold this morning in Miami so I didn't ride my bike), the shin splints are gone. 18 miler last saturday turned into a 7 miler with a 1 mile walk to finish... I plodded so badly I gave myself shin splints. Ever since I fell off the bike a few times early in the summer, it seems to be one thing after another. I'm always recovering or rehabbing something. Currently hip issues...IT band or bursitis, who the hell knows. Massage, Chiro, and ultrasound at 9:30 this morning! Earlier in the week I was saying some really bad things to myself 'your just too old, fat, and weak to do this stuff' 'why don't you just play golf and go to the gym and stop being ridiculous' Of course, I shut myself up after a couple hours of that, but it's tough. I just have to realize that I cannot do as many weekly miles as other people and I need to spend time in the gym and building strength. BUT after 7 months of being unemployed I had the 2nd interview for a job I really want, and we are talking salary and start date. PHEW! I really need to have less time available to feel sorry for myself. Very unattractive and really a waste of time, yes? More advice you have all given me is to think about what I HAVE done. I did my first Tri & My first half. Last year at this time I joined the Tri2One team here in Miami. I couldn't run for 5 minutes and I didn't have a bike. I've lost 15lbs. And most of all, I haven't given up. You guys have a lot to do with that. You take the time to come on here and share your experiences. Thank youl.

First, congrats on the new job prospect - that's great!  Let us know WHEN you start.

Now, keep those negative thoughts away.  You've already proven that you can do so much.  Don't judge yourself by other people's yardsticks - that is a recipe for disappointment.

Do you do any yoga?  I know that it helps me with flexibility - just something to consider.

Good luck on your HM Sunday; I'm sure you'll rock it

Ann-Marie

2011-12-08 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3930642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

stephsprint - 2011-12-08 6:17 AM Fantastic advice! I just want to finish the marathon. I have another half coming up this Sunday and while I haven't worked through every injury issue yet, I seem to be learning a lot. YOU ARE SO RIGHT about the learning! Damn. I still have hip issues, I'm still sick (it's kinda cold this morning in Miami so I didn't ride my bike), the shin splints are gone. 18 miler last saturday turned into a 7 miler with a 1 mile walk to finish... I plodded so badly I gave myself shin splints. Ever since I fell off the bike a few times early in the summer, it seems to be one thing after another. I'm always recovering or rehabbing something. Currently hip issues...IT band or bursitis, who the hell knows. Massage, Chiro, and ultrasound at 9:30 this morning! Earlier in the week I was saying some really bad things to myself 'your just too old, fat, and weak to do this stuff' 'why don't you just play golf and go to the gym and stop being ridiculous' Of course, I shut myself up after a couple hours of that, but it's tough. I just have to realize that I cannot do as many weekly miles as other people and I need to spend time in the gym and building strength. BUT after 7 months of being unemployed I had the 2nd interview for a job I really want, and we are talking salary and start date. PHEW! I really need to have less time available to feel sorry for myself. Very unattractive and really a waste of time, yes? More advice you have all given me is to think about what I HAVE done. I did my first Tri & My first half. Last year at this time I joined the Tri2One team here in Miami. I couldn't run for 5 minutes and I didn't have a bike. I've lost 15lbs. And most of all, I haven't given up. You guys have a lot to do with that. You take the time to come on here and share your experiences. Thank youl.

Old?  What is this concept, "old?"   As for injuries, welcome to the club.  But I've learned to REST.  Rest, ice, compression, elevation.  Take it easy.  This is the time of year we are supposed to be letting our bodies mend.  The surguries forced me to take it easy for a month and guess what...no IT band issue at all at the moment.  I had it a year ago bad, let it heal up and used rollers and massage to keep it at bay during the IM training.   But it was always there a little.  Not now.

Why listen to those negative voices "for hours."   I banish them with meditation, positive self talk and yoga fast.  I never let them take root.  

You will do great!  I know people in their 80s doing triathlon and I know one guy 94 still racing bikes in Senior Olympics.  Never too late. Never too old.

2011-12-08 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3930720

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
I know what its like to feel sorry for yourself. Even I fall into that hole once in a while. A couple of weeks ago I felt bad because I only improved my 5k time by 22 seconds over an entire year. I felt like all that hard work and only 22 seconds!! But it was thanksgiving day and I went home and enjoyed time with my loved ones and realized there will be another opportunity to improve. I am thankful to even be able to train and have fun racing. what's really important to me in life. It's not my performance in races, but my family. So I stopped feeling sad and had a great time. A new year is on the horizon!
2011-12-12 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3930861

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ecpasos - 2011-12-08 10:09 AM

I know what its like to feel sorry for yourself. Even I fall into that hole once in a while. A couple of weeks ago I felt bad because I only improved my 5k time by 22 seconds over an entire year. I felt like all that hard work and only 22 seconds!! But it was thanksgiving day and I went home and enjoyed time with my loved ones and realized there will be another opportunity to improve. I am thankful to even be able to train and have fun racing. what's really important to me in life. It's not my performance in races, but my family. So I stopped feeling sad and had a great time. A new year is on the horizon!

22 seconds is huge in a 5k!

2011-12-12 7:35 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Rock n Roll half. Downside... 2 mins slower than the 13.1 Fort Lauderdale. However there were FOUR bridges.... FOUR! I think I did well all things considered. I walked quite a bit of the last 2 miles due to same old foot pain. Wore 2 pair of cushy socks too!

PLUS side: 1. my husband ran with me AGAIN! he just doesn't think I should do these first few alone. Love that man.
2. RAINBOWS! several gorgeous rainbows and just enough rain to cool us off, non-soaking.
3. New friends who ran with us most of the way... fun!
4. Pitbull concert out on the sand... didn't know who this guy was until a few months ago. Very high energy, Miami style party music. It was a BLAST! Mr. 305 delivered and it was nice to recognize a couple of the songs.
5. Lasagna and Ribs with friends at a local place.
6. 4 hour nap (slept through a dolphins game I was better off missing)
7. Great volunteers, water stations, entertainment, bands, cheerleaders all along the route.
8. NO HIP PAIN. miracles...all those massages and stretching paid off.

So there you go, my second half is done.
2011-12-12 5:50 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Boy, I leave you guys alone for a couple days and you go all reflective and supportive on me! 

THANK YOU!!

2011-12-12 7:17 PM
in reply to: #3934770

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

stephsprint - 2011-12-12 5:35 AM Rock n Roll half. Downside... 2 mins slower than the 13.1 Fort Lauderdale. However there were FOUR bridges.... FOUR! I think I did well all things considered. I walked quite a bit of the last 2 miles due to same old foot pain. Wore 2 pair of cushy socks too! PLUS side: 1. my husband ran with me AGAIN! he just doesn't think I should do these first few alone. Love that man. 2. RAINBOWS! several gorgeous rainbows and just enough rain to cool us off, non-soaking. 3. New friends who ran with us most of the way... fun! 4. Pitbull concert out on the sand... didn't know who this guy was until a few months ago. Very high energy, Miami style party music. It was a BLAST! Mr. 305 delivered and it was nice to recognize a couple of the songs. 5. Lasagna and Ribs with friends at a local place. 6. 4 hour nap (slept through a dolphins game I was better off missing) 7. Great volunteers, water stations, entertainment, bands, cheerleaders all along the route. 8. NO HIP PAIN. miracles...all those massages and stretching paid off. So there you go, my second half is done.

Congrats!

2011-12-13 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3935695

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
McFuzz - 2011-12-12 6:50 PM

Boy, I leave you guys alone for a couple days and you go all reflective and supportive on me! 

THANK YOU!!

You are so welcomed.
2011-12-13 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3935790

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
ecpasos - 2011-12-12 7:17 PM

stephsprint - 2011-12-12 5:35 AM Rock n Roll half. Downside... 2 mins slower than the 13.1 Fort Lauderdale. However there were FOUR bridges.... FOUR! I think I did well all things considered. I walked quite a bit of the last 2 miles due to same old foot pain. Wore 2 pair of cushy socks too! PLUS side: 1. my husband ran with me AGAIN! he just doesn't think I should do these first few alone. Love that man. 2. RAINBOWS! several gorgeous rainbows and just enough rain to cool us off, non-soaking. 3. New friends who ran with us most of the way... fun! 4. Pitbull concert out on the sand... didn't know who this guy was until a few months ago. Very high energy, Miami style party music. It was a BLAST! Mr. 305 delivered and it was nice to recognize a couple of the songs. 5. Lasagna and Ribs with friends at a local place. 6. 4 hour nap (slept through a dolphins game I was better off missing) 7. Great volunteers, water stations, entertainment, bands, cheerleaders all along the route. 8. NO HIP PAIN. miracles...all those massages and stretching paid off. So there you go, my second half is done.

Congrats!

Nice run on the half.  Sounds like a great time.  And I agree, dropping 22 seconds on a 5K is huge.

I am back at everything but swimming.  I could have this morning but decided I needed sleep more.  Riding hard and running better.  Actually ran the best pace for a short speed work last night than I have since IM.   Harder bike tonight, SE drills like hill climbing at 80% or so.  Really works the right muscles in the legs.  Got to make myself get to masters next week, maybe even Thursday.  

2011-12-13 9:20 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

The first post of this thread was December 21, so 358 days have passed since I asked people to join this group. 

What have you accomplished this year?

What have you learned?

What has surprised you?

I've already had a request to mentor again in 2012, and I'm not in a position to devote the time and energy to helping new (or experienced) athletes with health, fitness, and lifestyle changes.  I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I have some significant changes in my life (some will be publicized early next year).  Instead, I'll ask each of you to consider whether you are up to the incredibly rewarding experience.  For those of you worried you lack some critical skill (experience, knowledge, enthusiasm, etc.) let me reassure you that mentoring isn't the same as coaching and here is what I believe it takes to be a good mentor. 

1)  Have a positive outlook on life
2)  Have a positive outlook on yourself
3)  Be willing to listen
4)  Be willing to ask experts to help answer questions you don't know how to answer
5)  Be vocal and up-front about your goals
6)  Be willing to show your progress towards a goal
7)  Set an expectation for positive interactions within the group

If you're not sure, post here or PM me and I'll try to respond. 

2011-12-13 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3937608

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
McFuzz - 2011-12-13 9:20 PM

The first post of this thread was December 21, so 358 days have passed since I asked people to join this group. 

I ran a 3:58 marathon (Pittsburgh) in May
I finished Vineman in 12:43
I've got one of the most active mentor threads in 2011
I got my youngest children past high school (not everything has to be tri-related)

What have you learned?

I learned to run for 26.2 miles (I'd finished 8 marathons/ultras/ironmen but always walked some)
I learned experienced athletes can have setbacks and can benefit from a supportive group. 
I learned that a huge group of mixed Ironmen and beginners isn't so good for beginners. 
(For this last one, look at the composition of the group, and who is still here posting.  It's been an incredible group, and many of you have benefited greatly from participating and contributing, the sad fact is I lost most of the novice athletes the mentor program is targeting.

What has surprised you?

That I might run 1200 miles this year (I know a few years ago, I considered people who run that much "hardcore" runners). 

2011-12-14 6:28 AM
in reply to: #3936631

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
IceManScott - 2011-12-13 11:57 AM

Congrats!

Nice run on the half.  Sounds like a great time.  And I agree, dropping 22 seconds on a 5K is huge.

I am back at everything but swimming.  I could have this morning but decided I needed sleep more.  Riding hard and running better.  Actually ran the best pace for a short speed work last night than I have since IM.   Harder bike tonight, SE drills like hill climbing at 80% or so.  Really works the right muscles in the legs.  Got to make myself get to masters next week, maybe even Thursday.  

I've thought about a masters swim class, but I bought 2 Total Immersion DVDs instead. The one on breathing and the one on open water swimming. The drills on the breathing DVD make sense to me. I am going to try them in the pool today.

Do you do all your workouts in the evening?
2011-12-14 6:44 AM
in reply to: #3937622

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
McFuzz - 2011-12-13 10:33 PM

I ran a 3:58 marathon (Pittsburgh) in May
I finished Vineman in 12:43
I've got one of the most active mentor threads in 2011
I got my youngest children past high school (not everything has to be tri-related)

What have you learned?

I learned to run for 26.2 miles (I'd finished 8 marathons/ultras/ironmen but always walked some)
I learned experienced athletes can have setbacks and can benefit from a supportive group. 
I learned that a huge group of mixed Ironmen and beginners isn't so good for beginners. 
(For this last one, look at the composition of the group, and who is still here posting.  It's been an incredible group, and many of you have benefited greatly from participating and contributing, the sad fact is I lost most of the novice athletes the mentor program is targeting.

What has surprised you?

That I might run 1200 miles this year (I know a few years ago, I considered people who run that much "hardcore" runners). 

You've had a great year! I think you've also been very good as a mentor. I tried to join another group (2 of them actually) and there just wasn't anything going on. One mentor just talked about himself and the other group just had no activity. Sometimes you get really lucky, as we did here, and you have a good mentor who posts regularly, shares just the right amount of personal experience, and then other members who are active and helpful and positive. It's a beautiful thing to have such a group! I wouldn't worry too much about keeping beginners. There are SO many reasons that people drop out of these things and your retention is probably better than you think. A one sport start-up is tough enough...I for one have concentrated most of my energy on the running which started from Zero. Starting more than one? Oy.

I would love to do this kind of thing. I have the time (no kids, no pets, no commute), the inclination, and I have to KEEP myself from posting too much! I have done the Coaching on here too and while I don't do it anymore, I think it's SO worth it. If I knew where to go for expert responses I think I'd be OK at this. If you can be a mentor with as little experience as I have, that is.

Wish you were sticking around, but I'm sure we'll stay in touch. Good luck to you, although with your work ethic, you probably don't need it!
2011-12-14 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3937760

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
stephsprint - 2011-12-14 6:28 AM

Congrats!

I've thought about a masters swim class, but I bought 2 Total Immersion DVDs instead. The one on breathing and the one on open water swimming. The drills on the breathing DVD make sense to me. I am going to try them in the pool today. Do you do all your workouts in the evening?

I start work at 6 so I go to Masters swim at 5 on Tues and Thurs normally.  Otherwise weekday workouts are after work in the afternoon.  Weekend are in the morning after spending quality time with Kathy at breakfast out and shopping.   If you have masters, the coaching here is incredible and we pay the Masters annual fee and a $65 semester fee for the university pool.  So for about $150, I get great swim coaching all year. 

A lot of total immersion and other swim instruction is on youtube.  Also check out Swim Smooth.  it's a bunch of Australian swim coaches who really know their stuff. They have a great web site.

2011-12-14 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

What have you learned?

What has surprised you?

I've already had a request to mentor again in 2012, and I'm not in a position to devote the time and energy to helping new (or experienced) athletes with health, fitness, and lifestyle changes.  I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I have some significant changes in my life (some will be publicized early next year).  Instead, I'll ask each of you to consider whether you are up to the incredibly rewarding experience.  For those of you worried you lack some critical skill (experience, knowledge, enthusiasm, etc.) let me reassure you that mentoring isn't the same as coaching and here is what I believe it takes to be a good mentor. 

1)  Have a positive outlook on life
2)  Have a positive outlook on yourself
3)  Be willing to listen
4)  Be willing to ask experts to help answer questions you don't know how to answer
5)  Be vocal and up-front about your goals
6)  Be willing to show your progress towards a goal
7)  Set an expectation for positive interactions within the group

If you're not sure, post here or PM me and I'll try to respond. 

Wow, almost a full year of people posting!  That's pretty amazing to me.  Thanks for running this thing, I've enjoyed it and I hope whatever significant changes that happened in your life are positive ones!

What Have I accomplished this year:  Did my first HIM on 11/13 (Miamiman)

What have I learned:  That you can't will injuries away!  Also, I really need to spend more time on the bike if I expect to reach my goals for longer races.

What has surprised me:  That you can't will injuries away   Also, that right after finishing my (for me) brutal HIM, i started thinking about the next one and how I could improve.

Merry Xmas!

Ann-Marie 

2011-12-14 6:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

What have you accomplished this year?   First IM done!  PR's galore at most of my races.  1st AG win this year.  Remained healthy all year long.  

What have you learned?   Wow. What did I learn??  My wife is awesome to let me pursue this crazy sport.  Without her support, I couldn't do this.  

What has surprised you?   I'm surprised how long we kept this group going!  

I sense the end is near for this mentor group and it is probably fitting that we close up the group as we move into the new year.  It has been an absolute pleasure to keep in touch with you all this year.  I'll be around.  I may "inspire" you once in a while.  Hope you don't mind!  Feel free to check in with me too.  I love inspires. 

Big thanks to Mike for keeping us together and inspiring us all. Thanks for being there at Vineman when I needed you (when I forgot my nutrition!!).   it was fun racing together!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Enrique

2011-12-14 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3937799

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
IceManScott - 2011-12-14 7:49 AM

stephsprint - 2011-12-14 6:28 AM

Congrats!

I've thought about a masters swim class, but I bought 2 Total Immersion DVDs instead. The one on breathing and the one on open water swimming. The drills on the breathing DVD make sense to me. I am going to try them in the pool today. Do you do all your workouts in the evening?

I start work at 6 so I go to Masters swim at 5 on Tues and Thurs normally.  Otherwise weekday workouts are after work in the afternoon.  Weekend are in the morning after spending quality time with Kathy at breakfast out and shopping.   If you have masters, the coaching here is incredible and we pay the Masters annual fee and a $65 semester fee for the university pool.  So for about $150, I get great swim coaching all year. 

A lot of total immersion and other swim instruction is on youtube.  Also check out Swim Smooth.  it's a bunch of Australian swim coaches who really know their stuff. They have a great web site.

Mr. Smooth is very cool stuff!
2011-12-14 8:17 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Enrique you really killed it this year!!! Please keep in touch, I know I will.

x2 what Ann Marie said, what IS it with the injuries? I'm so tired of ice packs....I can't TELL you how...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106