BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-09-15 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2769226

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
If Fred hires me as a coach he will do it on the run

Question for the group on descending in wind with a deep front wheel...

Normally (on training wheels) when I'm bombing down a hill I shift my weight as far back as I can on the bike.  I've found that with my 80mm wheels (front and back) that if there is any cross-wind my front end can get pretty shifty, despite being "heavy enough" to justify riding the deep dish up front... and I do not like this feeling.  I've never felt like I was going to lose it, but I get pushed around and don't like not being completely in control at high speeds.

My question is, when descending on deep wheels, should I consider shifting my weight more forward then I normally would on training wheels?  Normally I'd think this would adversely impact bike handling, but if I neutralized the ability of the wind to shove me around I think it might in fact improve it.  Trouble is, I'm a little nervous to even try it before someone says "I do that and it works great for me" or something like that.  Something in my brain says I'm playing with fire and asking for a death wobble or something.

Any experience?

2010-09-15 2:04 PM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
2010-09-15 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3099695

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by PennState 2010-09-15 6:19 PM
2010-09-15 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3100530

2010-09-15 7:31 PM

Expert
Can't wait to read your race report Greg. I'll do it tonight. I don't know if I ever told Fred congrats in IMWI. It should be a great race for you. A little sad that you didn't choose IMAZ but I understand.

The company that was doing the 1/2 IM that I was training for in Oct is now adding one in early April. I know have something to work toward. They don't have an exact date yet but I'm in. I really didn't want to wait until Oct of 2011 to do my 1st HIM. I think I'm still going to wait until 2012 to do my 1st IM though. I'm so excited that I will be able to do a 70.3 in my city and train on the course. I also have 6 months to really dial in my training. The winter here is our training season so it will work out great for getting in all my hours outside.

Makes me want to workout again. Yeah!!!!!
2010-09-15 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3101089

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
phxphotog - 2010-09-15 7:31 PM Can't wait to read your race report Greg. I'll do it tonight. I don't know if I ever told Fred congrats in IMWI. It should be a great race for you. A little sad that you didn't choose IMAZ but I understand.

The company that was doing the 1/2 IM that I was training for in Oct is now adding one in early April. I know have something to work toward. They don't have an exact date yet but I'm in. I really didn't want to wait until Oct of 2011 to do my 1st HIM. I think I'm still going to wait until 2012 to do my 1st IM though. I'm so excited that I will be able to do a 70.3 in my city and train on the course. I also have 6 months to really dial in my training. The winter here is our training season so it will work out great for getting in all my hours outside.

Makes me want to workout again. Yeah!!!!!

Sounds like a good plan, the HIM in April.  It will give you something to train for and is probably early enough in the year so it is not to hot out.  What is the name of the race?

I plan on doing HIMs next year.  Need to dedicate some more time with the family next year.  My wife says the only way I can do a IM next year is if I race at Kona.  We all know that I am not going to qualify for that so it looks like I will be watching it on TV.  Maybe I should try the lottery my wife would love to go to Hawaii

2010-09-16 5:49 AM

2010-09-16 7:16 AM
in reply to: #3100988

Master
Millersville, MD
PennState - 2010-09-15 7:19 PM
JoshKaptur - 2010-09-15 10:49 AM If Fred hires me as a coach he will do it on the run

Question for the group on descending in wind with a deep front wheel...

Normally (on training wheels) when I'm bombing down a hill I shift my weight as far back as I can on the bike.  I've found that with my 80mm wheels (front and back) that if there is any cross-wind my front end can get pretty shifty, despite being "heavy enough" to justify riding the deep dish up front... and I do not like this feeling.  I've never felt like I was going to lose it, but I get pushed around and don't like not being completely in control at high speeds.

My question is, when descending on deep wheels, should I consider shifting my weight more forward then I normally would on training wheels?  Normally I'd think this would adversely impact bike handling, but if I neutralized the ability of the wind to shove me around I think it might in fact improve it.  Trouble is, I'm a little nervous to even try it before someone says "I do that and it works great for me" or something like that.  Something in my brain says I'm playing with fire and asking for a death wobble or something.

Any experience?

Josh, I lean pretty far forward on decents. At LP I was way forward without any braking at all on the Keene decent.

It is scary at first, but it's the way to go!

PS: It's only scary if you 'care'

Thanks Fred - just to clarify, what wheels are your riding when you do this?
2010-09-16 12:26 PM

2010-09-16 2:10 PM

Master
Millersville, MD
I'm going sans cover this weekend too.
2010-09-16 3:30 PM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good luck this weekend Sara, Josh and Fred!!

Anyone else racing this weekend?

2010-09-17 12:00 AM
in reply to: #3102847

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
kenj - 2010-09-16 2:30 PM

Yep. I am doing a sprint tri this weekend though I am not very motivated to do it. 

Edited by Kath2163 2010-09-17 12:14 AM
2010-09-17 5:51 AM
in reply to: #3103608

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Kath2163 - 2010-09-17 1:00 AM
kenj - 2010-09-16 2:30 PM

Yep. I am doing a sprint tri this weekend though I am not very motivated to do it. 

Good luck Kathleen and enjoy the race!

2010-09-17 5:55 AM

2010-09-17 2:16 PM

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!  Looking forward to hearing about it next week.
2010-09-17 8:35 PM

Master
Dunedin
Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to this race because it's my husband's first HIM. He's training for IMLP next year.  It's been really something to witness him going from HATING the thought of that first 20-something mile tour of Scranton to his first sprint (he swam vertically the whole swim!) to now working toward the full IM distance. =)

Jon (husband) is bib # 647 and I am bib # 1014.

It won't be pretty for me. I have barely trained. I have been going to physical therapy and now the PT seems to think I have bad tendonitis in my hip flexors.  She did some acupuncture on Thursday.  I still get twinges in my left side, but I think if I hang at an RPE of 2-3 then I won't suffer through the race.  I have a few weeks until my "retarded" marathon (physical therapists words, not mine, I was a little annoyed that she referred to it as that!) and then I will limit myself to aquajogging when I can until I'm all healed again.

Good luck everyone else!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

2010-09-17 8:40 PM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
 Hi All,

I have a few questions for all of you Ironmen, anyone who has been at the start line of an Ironman and anyone who has signed up for one.

1.)  When did you decide that you wanted to do an Ironman?  Was it your goal from the start or did the interest evolve as you became more involved in triathlons?

2.) How did you decide which race to do?

3.)  It seems that these races are hard to get into.  I keep reading about people volunteering and signing up the next day. Do volunteers have the opportunity to sign up before it is open to the rest of the population?

4.)  Do/did you train alone or with a group? Did/do you have a coach?

I think about these questions (especially when I read about all of your adventures and watch people cross the finish line of an Ironman race) and figured I would ask.  Hope you don't mind.

Have a great weekend!

Edited by Kath2163 2010-09-17 8:41 PM
2010-09-17 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3105489

Master
Redlands, CA
Kath2163 - 2010-09-17 6:40 PM  Hi All,

I have a few questions for all of you Ironmen, anyone who has been at the start line of an Ironman and anyone who has signed up for one.

1.)  When did you decide that you wanted to do an Ironman?  Was it your goal from the start or did the interest evolve as you became more involved in triathlons?

I started cycling in 05, returned to running in 07 to compete for a yearly relay race for cops.  Back then, I thought triathlon was extreme for the sake of being extreme.  It did not interest me much.  Then in 09 I did a sprint with my running 'team, and signed up for another.  I really enjoyed it and right after I finished my first I wanted to do an IM. 

I was going to volunteer an sign up at IMAZ, then IMSG came up as a new race and decided it was better to sign up for it than go to IMAZ and hope I could get in.

3.)  It seems that these races are hard to get into.  I keep reading about people volunteering and signing up the next day. Do volunteers have the opportunity to sign up before it is open to the rest of the population?

Yes, volunteers get dibs after the participants.

No coach, trained alone 90% of the time.  I don't think having a coach would have changed my outcome. 

I may get one next year more to keep me in check than anything;  I'm pretty obsessive about the sport and I know enough to schedule my workouts.  However, if I had an actual coach that could help my run form and swimming technique I'd sign up in a heartbeat!

I think about these questions (especially when I read about all of your adventures and watch people cross the finish line of an Ironman race) and figured I would ask.  Hope you don't mind.

Have a great weekend!

2010-09-17 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3105482

Master
Redlands, CA
WittyCityGirl - 2010-09-17 6:35 PM Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to this race because it's my husband's first HIM. He's training for IMLP next year.  It's been really something to witness him going from HATING the thought of that first 20-something mile tour of Scranton to his first sprint (he swam vertically the whole swim!) to now working toward the full IM distance. =)

Jon (husband) is bib # 647 and I am bib # 1014.

It won't be pretty for me. I have barely trained. I have been going to physical therapy and now the PT seems to think I have bad tendonitis in my hip flexors.  She did some acupuncture on Thursday.  I still get twinges in my left side, but I think if I hang at an RPE of 2-3 then I won't suffer through the race.  I have a few weeks until my "retarded" marathon (physical therapists words, not mine, I was a little annoyed that she referred to it as that!) and then I will limit myself to aquajogging when I can until I'm all healed again.

Good luck everyone else!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Good luck, isn't the tour of Scranton where Andrew Bernard got his bloody nipples?
2010-09-17 9:15 PM

Expert
2010-09-18 6:20 AM

2010-09-19 3:22 PM

Expert
Hope everyone's races went great this weekend. I went out today and did some mountain climbing on the bike with a group of people. We all were split off into little groups of 2-3 people but it was still fun to ride with others. We climbed South Mountain here in Phoenix and it's the worlds largest city park and is a great place to bike, run and hike. The first trip up the mountain, I made it about 2/3 of the way to the top and decided that I may have had enough. My bike ability and that fact that I have to drag 190 pounds with me up the hill wasn't feeling all that great. I descended, met up with some people and decided that I would give it one more try.

I made it about a couple hundred yards from the top and the park ranger was turning everyone around because some drunk teenagers had wrecked their car and the police were investigating and arresting the kids. Oh, well. I can say that I made it to the top I guess.

The third time out I did another route which is like a canyon ride where you descend out and climb coming back. My poor legs had about had it at this point and I was done for the day. I got in 25 miles and climbed 2315 feet, so I was happy about that.

I have 2 more miles of running to go to hit 15 for the week and that was my goal so I'll do that tonight.

I can't believe that it is still this hot here. It's been record heat the last two days and it will be 110 degrees here today. I started my ride at 5:50a this morning and when I got done around 9am it was already 95 degrees out. It's like Africa hot here.

Don't look at the HR when I was descending because it wasn't in the 200's, obviously.

Edited by phxphotog 2010-09-19 3:25 PM
2010-09-19 4:44 PM
in reply to: #3106880

Pro
Canandaigua NY

phxphotog - 2010-09-19 4:22 PM Hope everyone's races went great this weekend. I went out today and did some mountain climbing on the bike with a group of people. We all were split off into little groups of 2-3 people but it was still fun to ride with others. We climbed South Mountain here in Phoenix and it's the worlds largest city park and is a great place to bike, run and hike. The first trip up the mountain, I made it about 2/3 of the way to the top and decided that I may have had enough. My bike ability and that fact that I have to drag 190 pounds with me up the hill wasn't feeling all that great. I descended, met up with some people and decided that I would give it one more try.

I made it about a couple hundred yards from the top and the park ranger was turning everyone around because some drunk teenagers had wrecked their car and the police were investigating and arresting the kids. Oh, well. I can say that I made it to the top I guess.

The third time out I did another route which is like a canyon ride where you descend out and climb coming back. My poor legs had about had it at this point and I was done for the day. I got in 25 miles and climbed 2315 feet, so I was happy about that.

I have 2 more miles of running to go to hit 15 for the week and that was my goal so I'll do that tonight.

I can't believe that it is still this hot here. It's been record heat the last two days and it will be 110 degrees here today. I started my ride at 5:50a this morning and when I got done around 9am it was already 95 degrees out. It's like Africa hot here.

Don't look at the HR when I was descending because it wasn't in the 200's, obviously.

Sounds like a fun training day!! Always a good time to do something different!!

2010-09-20 1:09 PM

Expert
Thornton, CO
Kath2163 - 2010-09-17 7:40 PM  Hi All,

Disclaimer: I'm not an Ironman ;-) currently just a want-a-be ;-)

Decided I wanted to do one back in high school around '97.  It sounded pretty extreme in my head back then when 5ks and 8ks were all I knew. It took a long time before I finally decided it was time to go for it.  But now 5ks are sprint work and I marathons have become more run of the mill. 

Based completely on, and in the order of, 1) General time of year [I wanted something in the second half of the year to have time to train] 2) Within a drivable distance [I didn't want the hassel of flying with my bike]

That basically left Louisville and Arizona as my choices. I went with Arizona because I wanted the extra time to train and the driving distance was shorter.

Yes, after the participants.  The other option is what I did... sat around online refreshing the screen waiting for registration to open.  IMAZ sold out online in ~25minutes.

I'm about 50-50 mix on alone or with a group.  But the groups I train with are not triathletes, I train with groups that consist of pure runners or pure cyclists.  Swimming is almost always alone.  No coach.

Have a great weekend!

2010-09-20 1:13 PM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thanks for all the responses guys!
I really enjoyed reading them.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121