BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2009-01-05 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1887077

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED

kkcbelle - 2009-01-05 2:00 PM Amen. LTHR test DONE. I tell ya, I had major anxiety leading up to that. I totally had to pep-talk myself all morning: "This is all about you. It's only to give you a measurement to train from. You can do it. Just because it will be hard doesn't mean you can't/won't do it. Just get 'er done. You have given birth, you have run marathons, you have endured: You can do anything for 30 minutes." Seriously!!!!!! This sent me into a tizzy. Why?????? I dunno -- I think I am just a total slow-twitch athlete who loves to go long forever but pushing myself for short times is really scary and hard. My college swim team 20+ years ago did lactate testing for two seasons (ear pricks) and I was the total slow-twitch distance person (good thing, as my best & fave event was the mile)... I KNOW this is how I'm made. But I digress. Sorry, this is sort-of like therapy for me!!! Anyway, test was humming along fine -- it was hard but I was hanging on. I was playing mind games where I couldn't check my time unless two songs passed by. I was scrolling thru my MP3s and landing on every Foo Fighters song I could. About mid-way through I got the brilliant idea to turn off the multisport on my garmin so I wouldn't have weird transition splits. So I did... and it TURNED OFF MY TIMER!!!!!! Ack!!!!!!!!!!! Good thing my kids were at school because the profanities I was shouting were passionate and loud. I was fumbling all over with buttons just trying to get my timer going again. And when I finally did, I realized I didn't know how long I had gone before this fiasco!! So I did my best guestimate, and when all was said and done my test came in at 28:42... so add in the time I fumbled around to get the timer going again and I'm gonna say I was close to 30:00 (maybe :20-:30 short). The good news is that was a total rush and my HR ended up climbing 3-4 beats and I held it there for the rest of the test. I averaged the two avg. HRs (165 and 169), multiplied by .97 and get a 162 LTHR. We'll see how that goes for future workouts. Glad that is done. I'm copying this post into my log to remind myself how I felt the next time I need to do a test!! Happy Monday.

Way to go Kyla!!

2009-01-05 7:22 PM
in reply to: #1887077

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

kkcbelle - 2009-01-05 1:00 PM Amen. LTHR test DONE. I tell ya, I had major anxiety leading up to that. I totally had to pep-talk myself all morning: "This is all about you. It's only to give you a measurement to train from. You can do it. Just because it will be hard doesn't mean you can't/won't do it. Just get 'er done. You have given birth, you have run marathons, you have endured: You can do anything for 30 minutes." Seriously!!!!!! This sent me into a tizzy. Why?????? I dunno -- I think I am just a total slow-twitch athlete who loves to go long forever but pushing myself for short times is really scary and hard. My college swim team 20+ years ago did lactate testing for two seasons (ear pricks) and I was the total slow-twitch distance person (good thing, as my best & fave event was the mile)... I KNOW this is how I'm made. But I digress. Sorry, this is sort-of like therapy for me!!! Anyway, test was humming along fine -- it was hard but I was hanging on. I was playing mind games where I couldn't check my time unless two songs passed by. I was scrolling thru my MP3s and landing on every Foo Fighters song I could. About mid-way through I got the brilliant idea to turn off the multisport on my garmin so I wouldn't have weird transition splits. So I did... and it TURNED OFF MY TIMER!!!!!! Ack!!!!!!!!!!! Good thing my kids were at school because the profanities I was shouting were passionate and loud. I was fumbling all over with buttons just trying to get my timer going again. And when I finally did, I realized I didn't know how long I had gone before this fiasco!! So I did my best guestimate, and when all was said and done my test came in at 28:42... so add in the time I fumbled around to get the timer going again and I'm gonna say I was close to 30:00 (maybe :20-:30 short). The good news is that was a total rush and my HR ended up climbing 3-4 beats and I held it there for the rest of the test. I averaged the two avg. HRs (165 and 169), multiplied by .97 and get a 162 LTHR. We'll see how that goes for future workouts. Glad that is done. I'm copying this post into my log to remind myself how I felt the next time I need to do a test!! Happy Monday.

Great job getting the test done!  Those things SUCK!  I do one a month in each sport until race season.  I dread them all.   BUT, they help, they are worth it    For most people, pushing themselves to the point of puking is hard.  Its hard for me.  Im used to it now, but I realized that my first 2 years of tri training, I was never really pushing.  At all!  

2009-01-05 7:38 PM
in reply to: #1888051

User image

Master
kellc09 - 2009-01-05 7:22 PM

Great job getting the test done!  Those things SUCK!  I do one a month in each sport until race season.  I dread them all.   BUT, they help, they are worth it    For most people, pushing themselves to the point of puking is hard.  Its hard for me.  Im used to it now, but I realized that my first 2 years of tri training, I was never really pushing.  At all!  

You do one a month PER sport??!! Oh good grief!! You are tough as nails!! How do you do your run and swim tests?? (I can't believe I'm asking...) I'd like to do a run test.

Do you find your levels change much, if at all, month to month? How much do they change over the course of a season? I'm really psyched finally to have a number to play with. I've contemplated doing testing professionally for a couple of years but never felt like ponying up the cash, especially after I came to understand that you need to re-test periodically to keep your training in check.

My legs have been tired all day. Good stuff.

Heidi -- I read through the RPE stuff briefly for the testing. Honestly I don't really get it, but I think he really wants you to use speed/distance to have something to quantify. I need to install my cadence sensor from my Garmin so I can start getting some better data.
2009-01-05 11:57 PM
in reply to: #1886951

User image

Elgin, Ok
slow turtle - 2009-01-05 12:14 PM

hey Hughes-What do you teach? And no matter what subject it is...God bless ya!

I teach Algebra I and Algebra II. I also coach the Cross Country and Track Team. I find the crazy kids that will run miles and miles in the fall, and the even crazier kids that will Pole Vault in the spring.
2009-01-06 7:59 AM
in reply to: #1888094

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
kkcbelle - 2009-01-05 7:38 PM

You do one a month PER sport??!!

Yes.  I do one test per month per sport.  For instance, this week in particular is  my testing week so you can look at my logs to see what i do.   We stop the testing once racing season starts, but during the maintenence period, it gives us a good guage.    

Oh good grief!! You are tough as nails!! How do you do your run and swim tests??

My run test is a good warm up,a nd then 20 minutes all out to exhaustion.   I hit lap on my Garmin and it keeps my  average heart rate and average pace for that 20 minutes.  That is my Threshold pace that month that pace is used to set my pace zones that all my workouts will revolve around.  For my swim, its either 20 minutes, see how much distance you can cover, or 1000 meters see how fast you can cover that distance, and again, then my swim zones are set for the next months training

(I can't believe I'm asking...) I'd like to do a run test. Do you find your levels change much, if at all, month to month? How much do they change over the course of a season?

Month to month you typically wont see dramatic changes.  But, your zones are then changing.  So say at a average HR of 165, your pace in month one was 7:30 for the 20 minute test.  Now in month 2, your average HR will probably still be around 165, but you might be at 7:25 pace for the 20 minute test.  So you can run a faster pace now at about your same Threshold HR.    If your threshold zone was 7:25-7:45, now that zone might move to 7:20-7:40. 

You do that for 6 months, and those little differences add up.   If you average a 5 second improvement for 6 months, youve taken a 7:30 runner and made them a 7:00 runner.  Theoretically, for a 5k you have gone from a 23:15 to a 21:42.  Not bad.  

It really only works if your training properly though, and following prescribed workouts and zones.   If you test month one, but dont do much that coming month to improve and just half a** the workouts, then you may not seem any difference when you test for month two.   (sometimes you just have a bad testing week, or outside factors, but there SHOULD be a overall trend when you do it for a few months)  If there is no improvement, or worse, you seem to get slower, then you know what you are doing is not working. 

***(Not all plans have you test as often as I do, I have a coach that I work with who monitors my testing, etc, and I put in quite a few hours....  so, while I do once a month for every sport, some plans may only sporatically call for testing.   But when they call for it, DO IT!    Its only to your advantage!)

Umm... did that help or was that too much babbling??

I'm really psyched finally to have a number to play with. I've contemplated doing testing professionally for a couple of years but never felt like ponying up the cash, especially after I came to understand that you need to re-test periodically to keep your training in check. My legs have been tired all day. Good stuff. Heidi -- I read through the RPE stuff briefly for the testing. Honestly I don't really get it, but I think he really wants you to use speed/distance to have something to quantify. I need to install my cadence sensor from my Garmin so I can start getting some better data.

Edited by kellc09 2009-01-06 8:07 AM
2009-01-06 8:12 AM
in reply to: #1888803

User image

Expert
kellc09 - 2009-01-06 8:59 AM
kkcbelle - 2009-01-05 7:38 PM

You do one a month PER sport??!!

Yes.  I do one test per month per sport.  For instance, this week in particular is  my testing week so you can look at my logs to see what i do.   We stop the testing once racing season starts, but during the maintenence period, it gives us a good guage.    

Oh good grief!! You are tough as nails!! How do you do your run and swim tests??

My run test is a good warm up,a nd then 20 minutes all out to exhaustion.   I hit lap on my Garmin and it keeps my  average heart rate and average pace for that 20 minutes.  That is my Threshold pace that month that pace is used to set my pace zones that all my workouts will revolve around.  For my swim, its either 20 minutes, see how much distance you can cover, or 1000 meters see how fast you can cover that distance, and again, then my swim zones are set for the next months training

(I can't believe I'm asking...) I'd like to do a run test. Do you find your levels change much, if at all, month to month? How much do they change over the course of a season?

Month to month you typically wont see dramatic changes.  But, your zones are then changing.  So say at a average HR of 165, your pace in month one was 7:30 for the 20 minute test.  Now in month 2, your average HR will probably still be around 165, but you might be at 7:25 pace for the 20 minute test.  So you can run a faster pace now at about your same Threshold HR.    If your threshold zone was 7:25-7:45, now that zone might move to 7:20-7:40. 

You do that for 6 months, and those little differences add up.   If you average a 5 second improvement for 6 months, youve taken a 7:30 runner and made them a 7:00 runner.  Theoretically, for a 5k you have gone from a 23:15 to a 21:42.  Not bad.  

It really only works if your training properly though, and following prescribed workouts and zones.   If you test month one, but dont do much that coming month to improve and just half a** the workouts, then you may not seem any difference when you test for month two.   (sometimes you just have a bad testing week, or outside factors, but there SHOULD be a overall trend when you do it for a few months)  If there is no improvement, or worse, you seem to get slower, then you know what you are doing is not working. 

***(Not all plans have you test as often as I do, I have a coach that I work with who monitors my testing, etc, and I put in quite a few hours....  so, while I do once a month for every sport, some plans may only sporatically call for testing.   But when they call for it, DO IT!    Its only to your advantage!)

Umm... did that help or was that too much babbling??

I'm really psyched finally to have a number to play with. I've contemplated doing testing professionally for a couple of years but never felt like ponying up the cash, especially after I came to understand that you need to re-test periodically to keep your training in check. My legs have been tired all day. Good stuff. Heidi -- I read through the RPE stuff briefly for the testing. Honestly I don't really get it, but I think he really wants you to use speed/distance to have something to quantify. I need to install my cadence sensor from my Garmin so I can start getting some better data.

Wow! I now have an even greater level of respect for you, Kellie!

2009-01-06 8:17 AM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Elgin, Ok
Kellie, You are so right. Those small gains over time do add up. The difference in a 24 min 5k (8 min. pace) and a 22:30 min 5k (7:30 min. pace) are staggering at the finish line.
2009-01-06 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1888803

User image

Master
Thanks for the detail, Kellie!! I totally can see how small differences would add up over time, and how you can adjust your training each month so you are working at your improved level. 5 seconds doesn't seem like much, but it does add up. Especially if you're not doing 5k's and you're doing marathons instead! 5 seconds over 26 miles is HUGE!!!

I checked your swimming log yesterday -- very cool!!

For two seasons I did a tri group with my Y (very beginner, with some seasoned athletes in it), and once/month we did tests like that but were only tracking time (something like 10:00 swim, 15:00 run, and we never did the bike as many didn't have trainers/mph/cadence/etc.). I didn't track HR at that point but over the season I could see how my run/swim times dropped.
2009-01-06 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

Kellie - I have a nutrition question. I have been reading some stuff by Nancy Clark and Monique Ryan.  They seem to support a lot of simple carb consumption before, during and after workouts.

I guess I am confused. Nancy Clark doesn't seem to distinguish all that much complex and simple carbs and really wants everyone nice and carb loaded daily.  Even when losing weight...she just wants you to watch your overall calories.

But then I read Marni Rakes stuff and she is against it and just thinks protein powder after a workout is okay. 

You know I am trying to lose weight.  I almost bought the Paleo Diet for Athletes book but I was thinking it was more of the same stuff I already know. 

During weight loss, I used to follow a bodybuilding type diet of lots of lean proteins and veggies and minimal complex carbs and minimal fruit.  I lose weight but do get the fatigued feeling. I am trying to be more balanced and have more carbs.

Am I making sense, here?  I guess I want to know if I should go with the Nancy Clark approach or the lean protein/complex carb approach for weight loss??

I ususually do two training sessions a day (at least 45 min each).

2009-01-06 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1888051

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
kellc09 - 2009-01-05 5:22 PM

This is probably the thing I need to work on the most. The only time I can really get myself to push at all is in a race, which you can tell by looking at my training times versus my race times. Even in races I think I could push harder than I do. Do you think threshold tests are a good way to work on this and how do you use them in your training?

2009-01-06 10:05 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Nevermind. I guess I should have finished reading the threadEmbarassed You answered the question wonderfully Kellie!

2009-01-06 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1889106

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-01-06 7:50 AM

Kellie - I have a nutrition question. I have been reading some stuff by Nancy Clark and Monique Ryan.  They seem to support a lot of simple carb consumption before, during and after workouts.

I guess I am confused. Nancy Clark doesn't seem to distinguish all that much complex and simple carbs and really wants everyone nice and carb loaded daily.  Even when losing weight...she just wants you to watch your overall calories.

But then I read Marni Rakes stuff and she is against it and just thinks protein powder after a workout is okay. 

You know I am trying to lose weight.  I almost bought the Paleo Diet for Athletes book but I was thinking it was more of the same stuff I already know. 

During weight loss, I used to follow a bodybuilding type diet of lots of lean proteins and veggies and minimal complex carbs and minimal fruit.  I lose weight but do get the fatigued feeling. I am trying to be more balanced and have more carbs.

Am I making sense, here?  I guess I want to know if I should go with the Nancy Clark approach or the lean protein/complex carb approach for weight loss??

Hi Bronwyn! I'm sure Kellie will answer your question better, but I'm following the Paleo diet for Athletes and really think it's great. What it does different than most books that promote lean protein/vegetables/fruits is explain in great detail how to adjust this type of eating for endurance athletes. There is a training window where you will eat more simple carbs, which helps keep you fueled so you don't get the fatigue that you would if following just a low carb diet. Plus, you really can get alot of carbs with the unlimited fruits. The book describes in detail how to eat before, during, and after workouts and even at different times in your training plan, base/build/taper.  I have read lots of "diet" and nutrition books and there was lots of information in this one that I didn't know. Just my 2 cents worth

2009-01-06 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1889106

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-01-06 9:50 AM

Nice loaded question    I hate nutrition questions!  I think everyone has lots of questions, including myself     Unless you are willing to go for testing, let them do the blood testing etc, to find out exactly what you need as a base metabolic rate, and then what you burn in each workout zone, it comes strictly down to a lot of experimentation to figure out how your body works best, and what helps you lose weight, and what doesnt.   

I think you should still pick up Paleo diet for athletes.   I still think it is informative enough to a endurance athlete to give it a read.  I think that because even if you dont come away sticking straight to a Paleo Diet, and you modify it a little to fit your life, it still offers up good info on when you need certain carbs, and how they help in recovery, before, and during training.    Its probably one of the better laid out books on nutrtition I have read, and doesnt load you up on carbs just to be "topped off" all the time (Ironman training excluded, were talking 15+ hours here and then you are almost always in some type of "recovery" so things become more carb heavy).  

The fact is, most dont need to be topped off all the time.  They arent working out hard enough or long enough to deplete what is already stored.   So  on that note, it also breaks down examples of how much you should be replacing in correlation to how long/intense the workout is.   And it STILL comes down to a little experimentation, but it helps give you some base knowledge that I think is properly geared to a endurance athlete.

The thing with more of a bodybuilder type diet is that it is meant to be protein heavy and thin you out. (as you know)  So lean protein and veggies are fine.    If that worked for you, go back to it, but modify it.  Throw in more fruits.  Then your getting your carbs to, but in a more healthy way.   Also for longer, and more strenuous workouts, add in a little more carbs/protein before and after workouts.     I say go back to what worked, and play with it a little so your not left feeling depleted before you even start.  

Dont know if that helped much.   But like I said, without all the scientific data of how each individual uses fuel, its still all about experimentation and choosing the right food

Edited by kellc09 2009-01-06 10:35 AM
2009-01-06 10:57 AM
in reply to: #1889176

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
roni_runnw - 2009-01-06 11:15 AM
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-01-06 7:50 AM

Hi Bronwyn! I'm sure Kellie will answer your question better, but I'm following the Paleo diet for Athletes and really think it's great. What it does different than most books that promote lean protein/vegetables/fruits is explain in great detail how to adjust this type of eating for endurance athletes. There is a training window where you will eat more simple carbs, which helps keep you fueled so you don't get the fatigue that you would if following just a low carb diet. Plus, you really can get alot of carbs with the unlimited fruits. The book describes in detail how to eat before, during, and after workouts and even at different times in your training plan, base/build/taper.  I have read lots of "diet" and nutrition books and there was lots of information in this one that I didn't know. Just my 2 cents worth

Thanks for the input.  I may buy the book for the timing info...

BTW, is your real name Veronica? My DD goes by Roni and is a Veronica.

2009-01-06 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1889202

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
kellc09 - 2009-01-06 11:25 AM
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-01-06 9:50 AM

Nice loaded question    I hate nutrition questions!  I think everyone has lots of questions, including myself     Unless you are willing to go for testing, let them do the blood testing etc, to find out exactly what you need as a base metabolic rate, and then what you burn in each workout zone, it comes strictly down to a lot of experimentation to figure out how your body works best, and what helps you lose weight, and what doesnt.   

I think you should still pick up Paleo diet for athletes.   I still think it is informative enough to a endurance athlete to give it a read.  I think that because even if you dont come away sticking straight to a Paleo Diet, and you modify it a little to fit your life, it still offers up good info on when you need certain carbs, and how they help in recovery, before, and during training.    Its probably one of the better laid out books on nutrtition I have read, and doesnt load you up on carbs just to be "topped off" all the time (Ironman training excluded, were talking 15+ hours here and then you are almost always in some type of "recovery" so things become more carb heavy).  

The fact is, most dont need to be topped off all the time.  They arent working out hard enough or long enough to deplete what is already stored.   So  on that note, it also breaks down examples of how much you should be replacing in correlation to how long/intense the workout is.   And it STILL comes down to a little experimentation, but it helps give you some base knowledge that I think is properly geared to a endurance athlete.

The thing with more of a bodybuilder type diet is that it is meant to be protein heavy and thin you out. (as you know)  So lean protein and veggies are fine.    If that worked for you, go back to it, but modify it.  Throw in more fruits.  Then your getting your carbs to, but in a more healthy way.   Also for longer, and more strenuous workouts, add in a little more carbs/protein before and after workouts.     I say go back to what worked, and play with it a little so your not left feeling depleted before you even start.  

Dont know if that helped much.   But like I said, without all the scientific data of how each individual uses fuel, its still all about experimentation and choosing the right food

I hate dealing with nutrition! So we are even!

Thank you for answering even though the question is difficult.

I am planning on doing what you recommended and just adjusting my previous diet to add some fruit.  I used to eat about 1500 calories a day.  I am increasing that with the fruit and a starchy carb at dinner (sweet potatoes or brown rice).  I should be fine with that. 

It is pathetic that it is Jan 6th and I am still planning my New Year's Resolution!

I leave for the Florida Keys seven weeks from tomorrow.  I figure if I focus real hard on my diet and training for seven weeks, I will be benefit in appearance and performance.

2009-01-06 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1889311

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

That sounds good..  modify what was working for you to now meet your training goals, and do that for a week or two and see how that works out.    Adding in that extra starch may be better after your workout.  (if you workout at night then problem solved).    And the fruit should help out to!

Good luck.   Its a crazy game this nutrition stuff!     But if you can find a good balance, that will be preferable for your next couple of years of training as opposed to a quickie diet that you dont end up keeping

2009-01-06 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1889145

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

roni_runnw - 2009-01-06 10:05 AM Nevermind. I guess I should have finished reading the threadEmbarassed You answered the question wonderfully Kellie!

Haha. yeah I would have directed you back to that considering I wasnt going to type it all out again

How long have you been on Paleo?   Are you finding it works well for you and you have enough energy?  

2009-01-06 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1889293

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-01-06 8:57 AM 

BTW, is your real name Veronica? My DD goes by Roni and is a Veronica.

No, but I'm asked that frequently. I was born Ronalee, too long, I didn't like it. So, in seventh grade I decided I was Roni and have gone by it ever since. 

2009-01-06 11:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Subject: Back in the saddle!

Happy New Year everyone!!! I got back from NYC Sunday night and wasn't able to get online. Last night I didn't have the guts to come on and face the music!! I had an awesome NYE hope everyone else did as well!!! Overall the trip was fun, unfortunately it wasn't very productive.

I had planned on running every day, and that didn't happen once. Embarassed I ended up sleeping in until at least 11 everyday. Did manage one short like 20-30min lift and two 15min bike rides on a fixed gear bike, but was spinning pretty nice.

Got back to the gym yesterday and boy did my body hate my lazy . Legs were sore about 12min into a run and couldn't go any longer than 25min. Hopefully that just a warmup because week 2 starts today, and there can't be anymore set backs. Anyways, hope everyone had a more productive week than I did!!

2009-01-06 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

Check out this video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVbwngNoHm0

If your spins don't look like that, you need to work harder!!! LOL Laughing

2009-01-06 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1889355

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
kellc09 - 2009-01-06 9:12 AM 

How long have you been on Paleo?   Are you finding it works well for you and you have enough energy?  

I just started eating paleo a week ago, and, yes, I actually feel I have more energy. Plus, without starches to fall back on most of the time I'm eating alot more fruits and veggies, which also means getting alot more nutrients. I did a 12 mile run Sunday and the fueling felt perfect. It's still early, but I think it's going to be great for me.

edited to add: I also started this way of eating because it's supposed to have antiinflammatory effects. I haven't noticed any difference there yet, but would imagine it takes a little time.

Edited by roni_runnw 2009-01-06 11:51 AM

2009-01-06 12:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

Have a question thats kinda been answered, but not really.

I want to find my proper training zones. I know this involves finding a specific Max HR or something of the like. I have a HR monitor, but its kind of old, difficult to set up properly and the watch doesn't read very well sometimes, it frequently jumps to 220+ when the HRM on the treadmill (which reads from my strap) says its 150's. What would be the best way, given the circumstances, to determine my zones??

2009-01-06 12:02 PM

User image

Elgin, Ok
I have never been to a spin class. Is that video for real. That is insane.
2009-01-06 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1889526

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

hughes411 - 2009-01-06 1:02 PM I have never been to a spin class. Is that video for real. That is insane.

It seems like it is real. If you read the comments below it they mention how the shake of the camera remains the same as do the movements of the coach.  That is pretty ridiculous!!

2009-01-06 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1889522

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
zee744 - 2009-01-06 12:02 PM

Have a question thats kinda been answered, but not really.

I want to find my proper training zones. I know this involves finding a specific Max HR or something of the like. I have a HR monitor, but its kind of old, difficult to set up properly and the watch doesn't read very well sometimes, it frequently jumps to 220+ when the HRM on the treadmill (which reads from my strap) says its 150's. What would be the best way, given the circumstances, to determine my zones??

If your HRM isnt great, use speed.  For the bike, use your average speed during your Threshold test, on the run, use your pace for the Threshold test, and same for the swim.    I actually train based on my pace zones, not my HR zones.  I do know my HR zones, but they are a back up that I pay attention to, but I use the paces to train by.

What plan are you using and how do they tell you to establish your zones?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30