BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-04-17 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2090449

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!

BigReub - 2009-04-16 10:40 PM

Now on a serious note.  I had a 3 mile run scheduled today with a 12 miler Saturday.  I had not run for a week before my 4 miler yesterday due to some knee and shin discomfort (I felt great yesterday).  Today, rather than take it easy I just ran at what my body was physically wanting to go at.  I ran 3.3 at a 9:04 min/mile pace.  My mini pace is about 10:15/mile.  A fastest 3 mile pace has been 8:53/mile.

My question is...two days before a long run should I always hold back?  Or is OK to push it this hard before a long run?  I will say this 9:04 was much easier than the 8:53.

I would say don't push too hard before a long run. Take it easy and make sure your body has enough time to recover from your run to make sure it is fully ready for the long one.

2009-04-17 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2091090

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
gadgetlaw - 2009-04-17 9:55 AM Good morning everyone!

It is a beautiful day here, a nice change from the snow of last week!!  I have a bike ride planned for tomorrow.  Had a question though.  Has anyone had a bike fitting and felt kinda uncomfortable on the bike??  It felt fine on the trainer during the fitting, but I feel a little awkward on the road.  My saddle was raised and moved back and my aerobars moved in.  The saddle adjustment feels fine, no problems.  But I feel a bit ... um, unsteady? ... in the aerobars.  I never felt like this before.  Do you think it is something I will get used to?  Or should I just move them back?  I have only had one ride of 26 miles on the bars in their adjusted position.  Maybe I will just give it a little bit of time to see if I get adjusted to the change?

Good luck with races and training this weekend!

Karen

Did they tell you to come back in a week after the fitting?  Most good ones do that so you can test it out on the road and if there are any issues, like you mentioned they can work with you to dial it in.  I would call them to ask and also get in a few more rides to see if it is just an adjustment thing that you get used to.
2009-04-17 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2091090

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

gadgetlaw - 2009-04-17 9:55 AM Good morning everyone!

It is a beautiful day here, a nice change from the snow of last week!!  I have a bike ride planned for tomorrow.  Had a question though.  Has anyone had a bike fitting and felt kinda uncomfortable on the bike??  It felt fine on the trainer during the fitting, but I feel a little awkward on the road.  My saddle was raised and moved back and my aerobars moved in.  The saddle adjustment feels fine, no problems.  But I feel a bit ... um, unsteady? ... in the aerobars.  I never felt like this before.  Do you think it is something I will get used to?  Or should I just move them back?  I have only had one ride of 26 miles on the bars in their adjusted position.  Maybe I will just give it a little bit of time to see if I get adjusted to the change?

Good luck with races and training this weekend!

Karen

Hey Karen. I would give it a little while for your body to adjust. I had a fitting done a while ago and I remember that it felt strange even during the fitting. I will find out more when I ride this afternoon. If your fitting was done bya good professional then it should be the best fit for your body type. The thing that I think is most important at the end is in what poistion are you going to get the best combination of power and comfort for you.

Rob

2009-04-17 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2091103

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Redknight - 2009-04-17 7:58 AM

SSMinnow - 2009-04-16 5:03 PM .

Rob--great running form, especially on grass.  Do they not have paved roads in Canada yet?

Suzy

Nice Suzy.very nice  Actually we finally got a paved road just leading into Guelph. We are so excited. It only took about 150 trees split and laid side by side. It's a little bumpy but the dog sleds fly right over them. I hear next year we are going to get a stop sign and who knows what new fangled items they will dream up after that. Probably something like the wheel.

It's gonna be a great day today. 19 C and sunny. I am going to do my required morning swim and then take a long leisurely ride this afternoon. This will be the first time on the road with my bike properly fitted and with clipless pedals. I should really clean the chain first but we'll see how that goes.

Have a great day everyone and good luck to everyone racing.

We have once of those flashing yellow lights now here in Calgary. Its weird....I've heard that down south they have lights with green,yellow, and red on them - And they color doesn't stay consistent!! It changes and you have to react to it!! Rob, I couldn't imagine if one of those things came up here. It would be CHAOS!
2009-04-17 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Janet,  do they want a swim time for the entire distance, or a 100yd swim time?  I too would error on the side of overestimating you speed and put down a slightly faster swim.  You will be pumped on race morning and quite frankly it is much better to be slightly selfish and have people pass you rather than spending the extra energy and passing people.  One other tip I learned, put down a slightly off time.  For example, I entered a 2 min/100yd time once, which was exactly right for me. The problem was that is a nice even number for people who don't really know their time, so they chose that as well. Consequently I was stuck behind people that couldn't swim that speed.  Next time I entered 1:58 and it was amazing the difference.  By the way, great job on that swim distance.  Every time I ready your log or your post the distance is getting farther and farther.  Keep working.

Karen,  I too felt a little funny coming onto the road with a new fit, even though the trainer fit felt fine.  As long as you aren't in pain from the new fit, I would give it a few rides. For me, it did/does feel like I am learning to ride all over again with my new fitting.  But I'm thinking once I'm use to it it will be better.  I can feel different muscles engaging and I like that.  But it does feel awkward because my weight is no longer as far forward, rather more over my seat.  Give it a try.

Rob, I'm impressed, it only took you a year to be brave enough to move to clipless pedals (JJ)  Now I can gloat at how long your T2 times are going to be since you have to CHANGE SHOES.  Honestly I am more excited to hear about when you fall over in your clipless pedals at your new stop sign!

TGIF 
Tracy

Edited by tahrens 2009-04-17 9:22 AM
2009-04-17 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
I am going to try and catch up this weekend with everyone.  It hs been moving so fast I have been afraid to jump in.  Long swim and short bike planned for me today.  This is a little swim training video I am sure some of you have seen but it is still funny.  When people talk about the swim start I always think of itLaughing   Chet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6tOzt-nfM

2009-04-17 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2090988

User image

Expert
B'ham

It's that time of the month again, yep - had my monthly swim this morning .  The pool was wetter than I remembered.

Janet, I'd go with a faster time too.  You're going to make a lot of progress between now and August.  Even submitting a faster time than you're swimming now, you'll probably end up revising it to an even faster time.  Not sure if you're using a swim program or not, but I used the 0-1650 plan when I was first starting to swim for distance and it really helped to build stamina in the water.

Have a good weekend everyone!  Its raining here now, but its supposed to be 67 and SUNNY on SUNday!!!!

Matt

Edited by cadmus 2009-04-17 10:05 AM
2009-04-17 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2091386

User image

Champion
cbarnes1 - 2009-04-17 11:00 AM I am going to try and catch up this weekend with everyone.  It hs been moving so fast I have been afraid to jump in.  Long swim and short bike planned for me today.  This is a little swim training video I am sure some of you have seen but it is still funny.  When people talk about the swim start I always think of itLaughing   Chet

hehe, no worries, just read up and post when you want to.  People like Trevor post all day so it's hard to get a word in edge wise...Laughing
2009-04-17 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2091199

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK

tahrens - 2009-04-17 9:19 AM

Rob, I'm impressed, it only took you a year to be brave enough to move to clipless pedals (JJ)  Now I can gloat at how long your T2 times are going to be since you have to CHANGE SHOES.  Honestly I am more excited to hear about when you fall over in your clipless pedals at your new stop sign!

TGIF 
Tracy

I had to laugh at that one!!  That is exactly what I did my first time out with my clipless pedals.  I slow down to stop at the stop sign, unclip on the left and when I stopped I toppled over onto the right......and of course it had to happen right in front  of a group of cyclists comming the other way.....sooooo embarrassing.

~Holly

2009-04-17 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2091532

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-04-17 9:42 AM
cbarnes1 - 2009-04-17 11:00 AM I am going to try and catch up this weekend with everyone.  It hs been moving so fast I have been afraid to jump in.  Long swim and short bike planned for me today.  This is a little swim training video I am sure some of you have seen but it is still funny.  When people talk about the swim start I always think of itLaughing   Chet

hehe, no worries, just read up and post when you want to.  People like Trevor post all day so it's hard to get a word in edge wise...Laughing

Yep Tony & I ...we're almost moderators of this site.
2009-04-17 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Since we have been talking swimming lately, it is time for me to share my favorite swimming tool.  Here is a video demonstating the use of the Finis Freestyler hand paddles. They are specially designed for the freestyle stroke.  They've really helped me with my high elbow, hand entry, and pull.  Plus they aren't that expensive. You can use them in combination with a pull buoy or alone.  John, the video link I sent you before wasn't for these specific paddles like I thought, but it was still good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sibkmd5OsVU

Tracy

2009-04-17 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2091177

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

TrevorC - 2009-04-17 10:14 AM
Redknight - 2009-04-17 7:58 AM

SSMinnow - 2009-04-16 5:03 PM .

Rob--great running form, especially on grass.  Do they not have paved roads in Canada yet?

Suzy

Nice Suzy.very nice  Actually we finally got a paved road just leading into Guelph. We are so excited. It only took about 150 trees split and laid side by side. It's a little bumpy but the dog sleds fly right over them. I hear next year we are going to get a stop sign and who knows what new fangled items they will dream up after that. Probably something like the wheel.

It's gonna be a great day today. 19 C and sunny. I am going to do my required morning swim and then take a long leisurely ride this afternoon. This will be the first time on the road with my bike properly fitted and with clipless pedals. I should really clean the chain first but we'll see how that goes.

Have a great day everyone and good luck to everyone racing.

We have once of those flashing yellow lights now here in Calgary. Its weird....I've heard that down south they have lights with green,yellow, and red on them - And they color doesn't stay consistent!! It changes and you have to react to it!! Rob, I couldn't imagine if one of those things came up here. It would be CHAOS!

Wouldn't those flashing lights upset the horses?

2009-04-17 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2091536

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

HollyW - 2009-04-17 10:42 AM

tahrens - 2009-04-17 9:19 AM

TGIF 
Tracy

I had to laugh at that one!!  That is exactly what I did my first time out with my clipless pedals.  I slow down to stop at the stop sign, unclip on the left and when I stopped I toppled over onto the right......and of course it had to happen right in front  of a group of cyclists comming the other way.....sooooo embarrassing.

~Holly

I don't know anyone who hasn't done that.  My first time in clipless, I fell over in the driveway.  I had the trashcan for balance on one side, but kinda forgot about the other.  Bruised my ego was all...

2009-04-17 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2091796

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2009-04-17 11:54 AM

Since we have been talking swimming lately, it is time for me to share my favorite swimming tool.  Here is a video demonstating the use of the Finis Freestyler hand paddles. They are specially designed for the freestyle stroke.  They've really helped me with my high elbow, hand entry, and pull.  Plus they aren't that expensive. You can use them in combination with a pull buoy or alone.  John, the video link I sent you before wasn't for these specific paddles like I thought, but it was still good.

Tracy

Got it thanks!  How much do you all use paddles in your workouts? 

Question about something in the video.  As the swimmers hand enters the water, it appears to pause for a few milli-seconds before the pull starts.  Is this where the glide is?    Thanks

2009-04-17 12:53 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
I am not going to lie... I had to pull out a pad of paper to catch up with the group!!! I love it!

Stan- I love that picture!  It is really cool.

Shawn- Checked the workout logs yesterday!  Nice workout.  Looks like things went really well for you.

Reuben- I am not sure too much about your running background, but I think it would be ok to push it.  It only makes your stronger/faster.  The key to success is to make sure you are recovering properly after your workout.  Stretch, Eat, Drink.  I always find that if I am sore the next day once I get going on my workout I feel fine.  Remember if your not sore ever, your not pushing hard enough (but you must recover properly).

Tony- I love the straight bars.  It can be a little struggle on your wrist the 1st time, but I love them.  I have done a ton of research on these pigs, and I can get them for $300 if no one bids me up!!! They are the proper size (normally medium would work, but Easton runs small)....

Janet- Go w/ Tracy-  Try 7:58 or so... That may be a nice difference!

Karen- Regarding your bike fit... Things will take time.  You have completely changed the way in which you use your muscles.   Get a couple more rides in and see how you feel.  If you aren't feeling good go back to the shop and tell them your problems.  It will be free to make adjustments (OR SHOULD BE).

Rob- I can't wait to see the pictures of your Road rash after you go down-- make sure you shave your leg's before you go out.  Road rash is easier to clean with a clean shave.  Don't fight it, just fall!!

Chet- Post away.  I actually think the group can learn a lot from you, your experience, and your speed. 

TO ALL--- Don't ever feel like you can't, shouldn't, or don't want to post here.  That is the point.  I have had people ask if they can wear board shorts to the pool of if they HAD to go out and buy a speedo.... I have had people ask about the pre-race poops, etc... That is what this forum is for.  ASK ANYTHING.  There are no dumb questions, but we can definitly come up with some dumb answers. 

Thanks,

Steve
2009-04-17 1:10 PM

That is exactly what I did my first time out with my clipless pedals.  I slow down to stop at the stop sign, unclip on the left and when I stopped I toppled over onto the right......and of course it had to happen right in front  of a group

Thanks Holly....I read this and laughed, as I too have done it. Thought I was the only one but as I kept reading postings, once again I see that I am not as unique as I thought I was Embarassed  (and that is a good thing)

Hey Steve, thanks for the comment. I am not even sure how to get back to the log myself  but if you have read it, then I must have done something right with uploading it.

Tracy, Thanks for the video re the Finis paddles. That whole web site has a lot of good info on it. I will have to sit down and surf around it some more.

Oh Yea, the photo. The reason I am in this world of athletes is my wife had a mid life urge one day and I was sucked into the vortex. It is only fitting she be in the photo too.

Our first tri, local sprint distance and I was not impressed with the pink cap but what are you going to do....Laughing

Edited by ShawnR 2009-04-17 1:13 PM

(Shawn and Spice_(800_x_600).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Shawn and Spice_(800_x_600).jpg (24KB - 28 downloads)

2009-04-17 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2091925

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
fattyfatfat - 2009-04-17 1:32 PM
tahrens - 2009-04-17 11:54 AM

Tracy

Got it thanks!  How much do you all use paddles in your workouts? 

Question about something in the video.  As the swimmers hand enters the water, it appears to pause for a few milli-seconds before the pull starts.  Is this where the glide is?    Thanks

Yes, but I also think they are going slow to demonstrate. The glide is a great tool for me to evaluate my pull.  Basically if I don't move during the "glide" then I'm not pulling, instead I'm just going through the motions.  I try to make sure I see the world going by when my head is out of the water to breath.  Believe me, there have been plenty of swims where I could have spotted a spider on the wall, I was moving so slow.
2009-04-17 3:40 PM

User image

Pro
Shawn we shave our legs... We can wear Pink swim caps!

Look where Kim and I get to stay tomorrow night for our 7th anniversary...  Can't wait!

(Salish.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Salish.jpg (19KB - 29 downloads)
2009-04-17 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2092598

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
swbkrun - 2009-04-17 2:40 PM Shawn we shave our legs... We can wear Pink swim caps!

Look where Kim and I get to stay tomorrow night for our 7th anniversary...  Can't wait!

You guys staying at the top or the bottom of the falls? Probably a bit cheaper at the bottom!!! HAHA
Congrats Steve!

Hey GL tomorrow Tracy! I will channel your toughness on Sunday for my 10k race!
2009-04-17 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2092615

User image

Pro
TrevorC - 2009-04-17 1:49 PM
swbkrun - 2009-04-17 2:40 PM Shawn we shave our legs... We can wear Pink swim caps!

You guys staying at the top or the bottom of the falls? Probably a bit cheaper at the bottom!!! HAHA
Congrats Steve!

Hey GL tomorrow Tracy! I will channel your toughness on Sunday for my 10k race!

Top of the falls... In a room overlooking the falls!  Bike ride tomorrow, massage @ 4pm, then Dinner... Up the next morning, long run then a ridiculous brunch after that... With 65 degree temps to boot!!!
2009-04-17 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsford, NY

Short recap of Giro race on Thursday night, I got dropped.  I need to put a lot more time in the saddle, work on accelerations and try to get more than 3 hours of sleep the night before.  I will miss the next two weeks of races but if I can manage some more riding time between now and then I would love to go back and see what I can do.  It was a great workout.    

2009-04-17 4:47 PM

User image

Champion
swbkrun - 2009-04-17 4:40 PM Shawn we shave our legs... We can wear Pink swim caps!

Awesome breakfasts there, we stopped by last time we were out there and it was beautiful.
2009-04-17 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2092643

User image

Pro
ABrunner - 2009-04-17 2:02 PM

Short recap of Giro race on Thursday night, I got dropped.  I need to put a lot more time in the saddle, work on accelerations and try to get more than 3 hours of sleep the night before.  I will miss the next two weeks of races but if I can manage some more riding time between now and then I would love to go back and see what I can do.  It was a great workout.    

That is what makes you stronger!  Nicely done towing the line!
2009-04-17 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Adam: no problem getting dropped just makes you want to get better. A failure is never a fialure if you haf 1) learned something from it or 2) it has made you stronger and more determined.

So I di my bike ride today and didn't even fall down. I had a couple fo scary moments when semi's passed me with only a foot or two to spare but it was great overall. What a difference the clipless make. I could feel my legs stronger and getting less tired than previous rides. I now understand what everyone talks about when they say how much of a difference they make. My back got a little sore as did my neck from being in the areo position so much. It was such a great day I would like to have stayed out longer but duties called.

I was able to sneak in a couple of beers with my wife on the back deck before the sun dipped behind the neighbors house.  

2009-04-17 6:15 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
swbkrun - 2009-04-17 3:40 PM Shawn we shave our legs... We can wear Pink swim caps!

That has got to be the Salish Lodge.  Paul and I stayed there one night after hiking Rainier and before heading to Friday Harbor.  You have got to eat in their restaurant!  Have fun.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383