BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kati's MOMMA training group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2010-02-01 8:22 PM
in reply to: #2647757

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Kati's MOMMA training group - Closed
Let the run taper begin!

Hope everyone had a good Monday, ours was cool and rainy all day, haven't had one of these in awhile.  Left work with lots of energy and turned the trainer ride into a good 45 min WO.

2010-02-01 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2646747

NE Texas
katimomma - 2010-02-01 7:12 AM<

Here is a lap counter:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/4028.htm

I thought about getting it, so if you do end up with it give us a full review.  I'm going back and forth between a lap counter and a tempo trainer for the water!

Thanks... I have been looking at these and will probably get one. I will let you know how it works out.
2010-02-01 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2591018

User image

Hi all,

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.  I managed to squeeze in a run on Saturday.  A friend of mine gave me a book to read by Terry Laughlin about Triathlon Swimming.   After my failed first attempt at swimming, I needed some more information.  The author has a bunch or progressive drills to practice.  The first step is achieving balance.  I have a few drills to start tomorrow.  Hopefully tomorrow's swim will be better than last week!
2010-02-01 9:29 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Thanks! I am feeling better today, but coughing a lot. Decided to go to swim practice despite being sick. Luckily we did a lot of 25 and 50m drills, which are a lot easier than sprints or distance. I got a lot of rest time! My only worry is a 5k that I have coming up on Sunday. I hope my legs are ready for it! I haven't done one in a year!
2010-02-02 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2648965

User image

Fort Worth
I've got a short run today.  I wasn't able to get that brick in last week so I'm going to try it tomorrow.  We're heading to Shreveport for a Mardi Gras parade this weekend (we're even taking off work on Friday!) so it will be a challenge to fit in my workouts.  I hope the weather is nice!
2010-02-02 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2648929

User image

Expert

christina322 - 2010-02-01 9:15 PM Hi all,

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.  I managed to squeeze in a run on Saturday.  A friend of mine gave me a book to read by Terry Laughlin about Triathlon Swimming.   After my failed first attempt at swimming, I needed some more information.  The author has a bunch or progressive drills to practice.  The first step is achieving balance.  I have a few drills to start tomorrow.  Hopefully tomorrow's swim will be better than last week!

That's a great book with a good progressive approach to swimming.  The 2 b's are SO important - BREATHING and BALANCE!!!!

2010-02-02 1:49 PM

User image

Port Kent, NY
Things are pretty crazy here in the North Country besides the cold weather that we are expected to have this week we have a massive man hunt going on.  A retired corrections officers just snapped and killed his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend.  Shot them both in the head with a shot gun, the woman so bad that they couldn't tell if she was female or male.  So helcopters are constantly flying over head and cops are everywhere.... I think I will run inside today Foot in mouth They haven't found the CO yet, most likely he's killed himself.  This is BIG city stuff for a very very rural area...... Guess we'll start locking our doors know

Hope everyone had a good Monday and today!!!
2010-02-03 7:58 AM
in reply to: #2650449

User image

Fort Worth
I've got a brick today!  The weather looks crappy again, but I've already decided that if it rains, I'll ride my trainer and then jog in the rain.  I want to get this thing out of the way before we head out of town this weekend.
2010-02-03 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2651780

User image

Port Kent, NY
Good Luck on your Brick training today !!
2010-02-03 12:46 PM

User image

Port Kent, NY
I'm finding it hard to stay Motivated lately... I just don't want to run.  The treadmill is the worse and I'm suppose to be uping my millage and I just can't seem to get past what I'm at on the treadmill.  I'm sure if I could get outside more often it wouldn't be so bad but blah is pretty much what I feel like.  I don't think I'm over training.  If anyone has any good ideas to help me stay and increase my millage on the treadmill I would appreciate it!!  
2010-02-03 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2652674

User image

Expert

Mommyintraining - 2010-02-03 12:46 PM I'm finding it hard to stay Motivated lately... I just don't want to run.  The treadmill is the worse and I'm suppose to be uping my millage and I just can't seem to get past what I'm at on the treadmill.  I'm sure if I could get outside more often it wouldn't be so bad but blah is pretty much what I feel like.  I don't think I'm over training.  If anyone has any good ideas to help me stay and increase my millage on the treadmill I would appreciate it!!  

Try breaking it up into 2 shorter runs.  You will still see the increased run fitness, AND you will work on your recovery (since you still have another run to do later).  It's winter blah time - that's why we have out little group  - so you have somebody to cheer you on when you need it!!  Go Go Go!!

2010-02-03 3:06 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
You can watch movies on the treadmill.  I have done  20 miler on my treadmill... it can be done.  If you get boored, just up the speed until that is no longer a problem 8). 

It could be worse... you could be building for an full IM with only 4 months before taper....and my longest bike ride in the past 2 months is 20 miles, longest swim is like 2000 yards.  There is some motivation, sheesh this is going to be a fast build... or a painful race 8).

You are able to build faster the longer you do this sport right.....?   
2010-02-03 7:19 PM
in reply to: #2653080

User image

Fort Worth
First brick is history!  It was a beating, but I kinda liked it.  I did 30 minutes on the trainer and then strapped on my running shoes and hit the pavement.  It was sprinkling and in the 40's so I cut the cooldown walk a little short, but I was able to hit my target time and distance.  It does feel kind of weird when you first start the run, but I'm starting to think this whole triathlon thing is becoming "doable".  I like that feeling.
2010-02-03 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2652674

User image

York, PA
Mommyintraining - 2010-02-03 1:46 PM I'm finding it hard to stay Motivated lately... I just don't want to run.  The treadmill is the worse and I'm suppose to be uping my millage and I just can't seem to get past what I'm at on the treadmill.  I'm sure if I could get outside more often it wouldn't be so bad but blah is pretty much what I feel like.  I don't think I'm over training.  If anyone has any good ideas to help me stay and increase my millage on the treadmill I would appreciate it!!  

Other than completing the triathlon, do you have another goal? i.e. Lose weight? Tone up? Etc. I just pulled out an old pair of shorts I wore 2 summers ago and my goal is to get back into them again. That's motivation. What else can help motivate you?
2010-02-03 8:31 PM

User image

York, PA
Hey everybody,
Donto's first up... in 3 days.
Don (Donto) - 1st race this year - Melbourne FL, Feb 7th

Good Luck. Have a good one.
2010-02-04 8:05 AM

User image

Port Kent, NY
Oh thats a good Idea to break the run up into 2 runs, hadn't thought of that!!! I've watched movies and uped the speed but I feel like I'm going to fall right off the treadmill, BUT 20 miles on the dreadmill, ackkk!!! I know its doable.  I do have a half marry coming up in April, trying to stay focused.... Other than that I've lost all my pregnancy weight and trying to actually keep the weight on, this is a very hard thing for me, I eat and eat but as I really get into my training I have a really hard time keeping it which I think is a major problem when it comes to longer races b/c I just don't have the fat storage so no second wind, have to REALLY eat a lot during my races so that I don't hit a wall. 

Good Luck Don!!! YOu Can dO It!!!!!!!!!!!

2010-02-04 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2653553

User image

Port Kent, NY
FWSquatch - 2010-02-03 7:19 PM First brick is history!  It was a beating, but I kinda liked it.  I did 30 minutes on the trainer and then strapped on my running shoes and hit the pavement.  It was sprinkling and in the 40's so I cut the cooldown walk a little short, but I was able to hit my target time and distance.  It does feel kind of weird when you first start the run, but I'm starting to think this whole triathlon thing is becoming "doable".  I like that feeling.

Yes it is Doable and yOU CAN DO IT!!!  Keep up the good work and pretty soon it will be so easy you'll wonder why you ever though you couldn't do it!!!  LOL
2010-02-04 9:05 AM

User image

Hi guys,

During the last few runs, my left calf has been really sore and tender to touch.  More specific location: interior side just above my ankle to my lower calf muscle.  I have been doing a ton of stretching.  I am not sure if I am developing a tendonitis or what.  I am considering easing up on the running for a week to see if that helps.  I can focus more on swimming and biking.  Every night I am icing and that appears to help.  I am looking for any suggestions.  Should I go back to the running store--I am wondering if it's my shoes causing the problem or if biomechanically my form isn't correct.  Suggestions anyone?
Thanks!
2010-02-04 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2654344

User image

Expert

christina322 - 2010-02-04 9:05 AM Hi guys,

During the last few runs, my left calf has been really sore and tender to touch.  More specific location: interior side just above my ankle to my lower calf muscle.  I have been doing a ton of stretching.  I am not sure if I am developing a tendonitis or what.  I am considering easing up on the running for a week to see if that helps.  I can focus more on swimming and biking.  Every night I am icing and that appears to help.  I am looking for any suggestions.  Should I go back to the running store--I am wondering if it's my shoes causing the problem or if biomechanically my form isn't correct.  Suggestions anyone?
Thanks!

I would let up for a few days, it really does sound like tendonitis.  If that doesn't work I would def. go back and see what the shoe store says about fit.   If ice is helping  - keep icing! 

Good luck this weekend Don! 

We are forcasted for yet another winter storm of 8 - 16 inches so looks like I'll be inside on the trainer a lot this weekend!  Woo hoo! 

2010-02-04 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2653667

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Robin7 - 2010-02-03 9:31 PM Hey everybody,
Donto's first up... in 3 days.
Don (Donto) - 1st race this year - Melbourne FL, Feb 7th

Good Luck. Have a good one.

THANKS!  I'm getting nervous and I usually don't Surprised.  Just got the email for the aid stations and port-o-pottys locations!
2010-02-04 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2654344

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
christina322 - 2010-02-04 10:05 AM Hi guys,

Thanks!

I've suffered from calf issues in one way or another since I started.  When I was having issues with my right foot arch in 07 I went to a massage therapist and he found several trigger points  between the tibia and major calf muscles that I couldn't believe were there.  He said they were most likely causing my issues down stream and it really did help.  All sorts of calf stretching revieled nothing, just like my most resent calf injury that was on the outside of my leg.

Bio mechanical form can have a lot of root causes upstream so don't get too focused on the feet and shoes.  Neck/ shoulder alignment issues can lead lower back / Hip alignment issues. And muscle imbalance in lower back and upper leg have a lot to do with it too.  Please consider seeing a massage therapist that has sports related therapy background if you can.  Also consider a foam roller, the best $25 I've ever spent, the other night I rolled out tenderness on the inside of my right lower leg.

2010-02-04 10:21 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hopefully if you are running a sub 8:00 mpm pace you won't be needing too many aid stations or porta potties. 

Try to not overstreatch the calf.  If it is irritated, stretching now will only  make it madder.  Once it is better, stretch that puppy daily.  Think maybe some ultra lite stretches at most for now.  It sounds like probably go a couple days no run, then go walk, jog, walk during your run (stop running if there is pain), ice after every run.  You may want to get/use a marathon stick on it to abuse the muscles that are being offensive.  If you haven't been to a shoe store where they look at your footstike, pronation etc. on a treadmill with a video camera.... I would do that.  You may need more stability.  If you run on a road/path that slants/slopes you may need to alternate sides to avoid overuse due to the lay of the land so to speak.  I change sides of the road every 2-3 miles for this reason.  

Yay, lastnight I was able to sustain a faster pace for swims for the 400, 500, 400 and  200 yard sets all at the faster speed.  That used to be my 25-50 yard fast speed.  My endurance is still down as I am only swimming 1000 to 2000 yards per swim, but swimming 2-4 days per week as compared to 2 days per week last year, so hopefully that helps.     
2010-02-04 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2653553

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
FWSquatch - 2010-02-03 8:19 PM First brick is history!  It was a beating, but I kinda liked it.  I did 30 minutes on the trainer and then strapped on my running shoes and hit the pavement.  It was sprinkling and in the 40's so I cut the cooldown walk a little short, but I was able to hit my target time and distance.  It does feel kind of weird when you first start the run, but I'm starting to think this whole triathlon thing is becoming "doable".  I like that feeling.

It was a beating, but I kinda liked it" Sicko! Wink

Way to go.  Just make sure your don't do the bricks too often just yet.  Keep the focus on you base and in the last 2-3 weeks you can increment up the bricks before the race.  You can keep a bike short(er) then do a long(er) run and vise-versa.

2010-02-04 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2654599

User image

Expert

Baowolf - 2010-02-04 10:21 AM Hopefully if you are running a sub 8:00 mpm pace you won't be needing too many aid stations or porta potties. 

Yay, lastnight I was able to sustain a faster pace for swims for the 400, 500, 400 and  200 yard sets all at the faster speed.  That used to be my 25-50 yard fast speed.  My endurance is still down as I am only swimming 1000 to 2000 yards per swim, but swimming 2-4 days per week as compared to 2 days per week last year, so hopefully that helps.     

That is awesome!  You are doing it right though, get that speed / form down - there is still 4 months worth of training time to build your endurance up to 4000.

2010-02-05 8:26 AM

User image

Expert

I second the call for "the stick" or a foam roller.  Great on all areas of the body - I like them for tight hamstrings!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kati's MOMMA training group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 20