BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2010-12-30 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3256055

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!
New Years:  Got my girls over and we already have our bubbly grape juice.  Also having my lady Jan coming over with her boys and we are going to have a game night, watch the ball drop and some movies.  Probably have some marg's too.  Also have a long ride on Friday and a long run on Saturday.

If I get up for it today, do long ride today (well - long for winter) and run on either eve or day.  Got in trouble for not working out this AM by Jan since she did her 30 minutes and I took a "recovery" day and slept until 10.  Tough to get motivated to get up when on vacation.

2010-12-30 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3268457

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
TriAya - 2010-12-29 2:56 PM
kickitinok - 2010-12-31 2:38 AM Hey Manatees -

How is everyone starting their New Year? I'm thinking about a 5K race New Years Day @ 9am if it isn't too cold. Hope it isn't! Other than that, I'm a participant with TRI-OKC in our training contest. Prizes for different levels of training attained over the next three months. Having a lot of fun with it.

Went swimming today and let me tell you - salt water is so much easier to swim in! I felt as though I were swimming through Jello at the Y today. Wish I lived close to the ocean.

I'm thinking I need a foam roller for my sore muscles after running. I don't run that far, but boy does it hurt my legs, back and bum afterwards. Anyone have suggestions for what size to get? 

Run slower. I know you'll want to scream at me and say I CAN'T, but it's amazing how far a little laziness can go ... literally ... ultimately, you will be able to run farther and faster

at this stage of the game your legs, back and bum shouldn't be hurting like that, and rarely at other stages, either.

really important, esp. with running, especially as you're building up running [very carefully, as you are, kudos], to run at a 'conversational' pace, and with an exertion level where both in terms of energy and muscle wear you'd be able to go out the next day and do the same run, no problem. [not that you would, but that you could]

that said, foamies are great, and by all means get one for working out tight spots now and then. but it shouldn't be a tool that you have to consistently depend on for recovery, or something isn't right.

new year's--a bt'er has entrusted me with his (um 20-something-year-old, i think) daughter, who on earth knows why, ha ha, but we are going to rip it up at the michael franti concert, and i will be logging my dancing, thankyouverymuch. maybe a nice easy swim the next day if it's not storming.

If I run any slower, it will technically be walking. Seriously. I run 5.1 mph then walk 3.6mph, alternating between the two. That's pretty darn slow. I'm open to suggestions on how everyone else got over the running "hump." I have found that losing 35lbs has helped a lot, but I'm still significantly overweight, and don't want to injure myself.....it's hard carrying any extra weight in triathlon, esp the running part. 

Regarding my extra weight: I'm treating it as an important component of my triathlon training. I log onto WW at least three times a day to log my food. Then I log my training. I've also added weight training to my training plan in an attempt at building some muscle and speeding-up my metabolism. Seems to be working? 
2010-12-30 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3268416

kickitinok - 2010-12-30 2:38 PM Hey Manatees -

How is everyone starting their New Year? I'm thinking about a 5K race New Years Day @ 9am if it isn't too cold. Hope it isn't! Other than that, I'm a participant with TRI-OKC in our training contest. Prizes for different levels of training attained over the next three months. Having a lot of fun with it.

Ushering 2010 out with a 10 mile run, celebrating the start of 2011 with a 11 miler.
2010-12-31 12:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Do you by chance have space to squeeeeze one more in?

If not, that's ok. I thought I would just ask.

Lovey
2010-12-31 4:19 AM

User image

Regular
New Zealand
Hi there!!!
As an ex-manatee I just thought I would just say hi   I'm re-entering the triathlon world, (had to change careers to fit it in though!) and would love to be a manatee again, no worries if you can't fit me in though.

Hope all is well

Melyssa
2010-12-31 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3267734

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
TriAya - 2010-12-30 8:45 AM
pga_mike - 2010-12-30 9:35 PM Spinervals "Hurt Fest" is named properly, and I did it at about 90% last night.

90 percent of what, my platypus-footed piglet?

i am a complete idiot, i had access to all the SPINeRVALS stuff free when i worked for SPINFitness, and i used to just give CDs away ... then again, there was so little i could bring or ship over from the states when i moved.

90% Feel  Perceived Exertion (PE)

I have about 4 speeds:
Easy 50%
A little uncomfortable 75%
Uncomfortable 90%
Slobbering, spitting, gasping for breath. 100%

2010-12-31 6:33 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
On Yantis suggestion of running slower....

x1,000,000

I trained slower this year than last.
1. Fewer Training-Ending Injuries
2. Enjoyed runs more
3. PR's at every distance

If you are running as slowly as you can, and it is not working, add in more/longer walk breaks.  My current run plan for my IM Marathon is 2:15 Run / :45 Walk for at least the first 13.1.  This is as as decent 50:xx 10k runner. (8 minute miles)

Edited by pga_mike 2010-12-31 6:39 AM
2010-12-31 8:02 AM

User image

Altrincham
Hello again all,

Just just back from a trip to Ireland. It was soooo cold - the phone and internet were down but at least we had running water, unlike some neighbours. Worse than that though, I've been stricken with man-flu so I may not survive into 2011 - it's touch and go right now.

I do know the Tatton Tri SteveyD! It's where I lost my triathlon virginity this year. A bit pricey for a repeat next year though methinks.  I'm going to do the Trafford Triathlon in April (if it ever opens for entry) and then hopefully a few around the northwest later in the summer. All dependent on surviving this man-flu of course.

Niall
2010-12-31 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3269280

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Lovey - 2010-12-31 1:21 AM Do you by chance have space to squeeeeze one more in? If not, that's ok. I thought I would just ask. Lovey

Lovey and I were in the same mentor group last year.  She is awesome!   

Lovey, rumor has it if you pm the mentors of this group with bribes of poptarts and such, they might let you in.  Its just a rumor but worth a try.  shhhhh, don't tell them I told you, k?

2010-12-31 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3268416

User image

Veteran
kickitinok - 2010-12-30 12:38 PM Hey Manatees -

Went swimming today and let me tell you - salt water is so much easier to swim in! I felt as though I were swimming through Jello at the Y today. Wish I lived close to the ocean.

I'm thinking I need a foam roller for my sore muscles after running. I don't run that far, but boy does it hurt my legs, back and bum afterwards. Anyone have suggestions for what size to get? 

My big plan for the day is to end the year with a swim!! Yes.. this manatee is going to waddle over to the pool and her freind will likely have to push her in (and lets all pray I don't sink to the bottom!!)  I haven't been in the pool since October I think - so I guess I should end the year with a little swimmy! 

And while I'm there.... I am soooo excited by this one... I have been given the ok to try a 2 -3 min run!! woohoo... stop the pressess!!   So I will walk the track for 20 - 25 min and end with a 2 - 3 min run.  I am a very slow runner as it is... but I will heed everyone's advise and force myself to keep it slow as  I tend to get impatient.

As for the new year... nothing will be open tomorrow and since it is -28C outside with a windchill of close to -40C... I think I will keep it inside... so probly a nice long trainer ride.

... and Trina... re the foam roller.... I have the black one... and have a love/hate relationship with it!  I love it because it works soooo well (when I use it) and hate it because it hurts.... which means I really really really should be using it much more... this will be a goal for the new year to help keep me injury free.
2010-12-31 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
I wanted to share an inspiring video that was sent to me a little while ago with all of you.  It was sent to a freind of mine, by someone who said it reminded him of his story.  This friend has now done two ironmans (along with many other races)  and is training for his third, has helped train me (and has helped me lose almost 100lbs) and keeps me inspired and motivated to keep wanting more!  When I start to question myself .... I play this....

http://www.wimp.com/beinspired/

HAPPY NEW YEAR  everyone!  May it be the best one ever!!

2010-12-31 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3269637

User image

Abilene
kalico123 - 2010-12-31 8:56 AM I wanted to share an inspiring video that was sent to me a little while ago with all of you.  It was sent to a freind of mine, by someone who said it reminded him of his story.  This friend has now done two ironmans (along with many other races)  and is training for his third, has helped train me (and has helped me lose almost 100lbs) and keeps me inspired and motivated to keep wanting more!  When I start to question myself .... I play this....

Thank you for sharing this video!! So inspirational!!  Hope you are staying warm in SK.

As for New Years, we are recovering from the Christmas that never wanted to end and our daughters 1st birthday party yesterday!  My husband would like to stay up and watch movies all night but I'm more inclined to be in bed by 9!! Boo!  Enjoy all your swims/bikes/runs!  Happy 2011!! 

Edited by burnettbunch 2010-12-31 10:23 AM
2010-12-31 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

GREAT VIDEO - love this kind of thing.  Always get choked up watching the end of ironman - the regular people finishing.

It is going to be a super 2011 and I hope you all make your own inspirational video this year.  What are you afraid of and how will you overcome it?  Make your own successes and may all your dreams become real through your hard work.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
2010-12-31 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3269456

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Galwegian - 2010-12-31 6:02 AM Hello again all,

Just just back from a trip to Ireland. It was soooo cold - the phone and internet were down but at least we had running water, unlike some neighbours. Worse than that though, I've been stricken with man-flu so I may not survive into 2011 - it's touch and go right now.

I do know the Tatton Tri SteveyD! It's where I lost my triathlon virginity this year. A bit pricey for a repeat next year though methinks.  I'm going to do the Trafford Triathlon in April (if it ever opens for entry) and then hopefully a few around the northwest later in the summer. All dependent on surviving this man-flu of course.

Niall

Is the man flu too many pints? Just wondering?

2010-12-31 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3269739

User image

Altrincham
lmscozz - 2010-12-31 4:59 PM

Galwegian - 2010-12-31 6:02 AM Hello again all,

Niall

Is the man flu too many pints? Just wondering?

Oh no no. I'm afraid you'll never understand :P This link may help though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EElqrgk4N0

Edited by Galwegian 2010-12-31 11:32 AM
2010-12-31 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Rainy WA
Hi folks,

I'm still catching up on posts. A bad cold and some traveling are keeping me busy. I just wanted to say Happy New Year and let you know I'm still a proud, mad manatee.Smile

2010-12-31 1:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
I am now the proud new owner of a pair of running shoes - from a real running store.  I'm a total introvert and have to say I was always scared of the idea of going to a shoe store where I'd have to interact with someone.  But, I did it and actually enjoyed it and now have shoes that fit!  I broke them in with a little run and am happy to be starting the year off in comfort.  Up next - tackling my super slow swimming... 
2010-12-31 1:57 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
kalico123 - 2010-12-31 9:56 AM I wanted to share an inspiring video that was sent to me a little while ago with all of you.  It was sent to a freind of mine, by someone who said it reminded him of his story.  This friend has now done two ironmans (along with many other races)  and is training for his third, has helped train me (and has helped me lose almost 100lbs) and keeps me inspired and motivated to keep wanting more!  When I start to question myself .... I play this....

I love this video.  That Coldplay song gets me every time.  Very inspiring.  Wow Kalico, 100lbs weight loss is awesome!!  Inspiration is contagious.  You are an inspiration too for your commitment to exercise and health that is so very difficult for many. 
2010-12-31 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3268897

User image

Veteran
Austin
kickitinok - 2010-12-30 6:35 PM
TriAya - 2010-12-29 2:56 PM
kickitinok - 2010-12-31 2:38 AM Hey Manatees -

Run slower. I know you'll want to scream at me and say I CAN'T, but it's amazing how far a little laziness can go ... literally ... ultimately, you will be able to run farther and faster

at this stage of the game your legs, back and bum shouldn't be hurting like that, and rarely at other stages, either.

really important, esp. with running, especially as you're building up running [very carefully, as you are, kudos], to run at a 'conversational' pace, and with an exertion level where both in terms of energy and muscle wear you'd be able to go out the next day and do the same run, no problem. [not that you would, but that you could]

If I run any slower, it will technically be walking. Seriously. I run 5.1 mph then walk 3.6mph, alternating between the two. That's pretty darn slow. I'm open to suggestions on how everyone else got over the running "hump." I have found that losing 35lbs has helped a lot, but I'm still significantly overweight, and don't want to injure myself.....it's hard carrying any extra weight in triathlon, esp the running part. 

I'm completely  new at this - just started running a few months ago.  But, at the start I was running slower than 5.1 mph.  I'm not sure how much slower because I was running outside and didn't want to use a watch, just tracked distance (on www.gmap-pedometer.com).  I could have walked faster than I was running at times  And even now, I frequently run around 5.1 mph.  Again, I'm newbie so I'll let the more experienced weight in, but my two cents is that you could run a touch slower to see if it feels a little better.  Good luck!
2010-12-31 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3269677

User image

Master
Vista, CA

burnettbunch - 2010-12-31 8:14 AM
kalico123 - 2010-12-31 8:56 AM I wanted to share an inspiring video that was sent to me a little while ago with all of you.  It was sent to a freind of mine, by someone who said it reminded him of his story.  This friend has now done two ironmans (along with many other races)  and is training for his third, has helped train me (and has helped me lose almost 100lbs) and keeps me inspired and motivated to keep wanting more!  When I start to question myself .... I play this....

Thank you for sharing this video!! So inspirational!!  Hope you are staying warm in SK.

As for New Years, we are recovering from the Christmas that never wanted to end and our daughters 1st birthday party yesterday!  My husband would like to stay up and watch movies all night but I'm more inclined to be in bed by 9!! Boo!  Enjoy all your swims/bikes/runs!  Happy 2011!! 

Okay, I just took the time to watch that video. OMG! Teared up for sure. Is this someone we at BT know? Any idea which IM it was?

Thanks for sharing it!

Lynn

2010-12-31 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3270033

User image

Master
Vista, CA

lounav - 2010-12-31 11:57 AM I am now the proud new owner of a pair of running shoes - from a real running store.  I'm a total introvert and have to say I was always scared of the idea of going to a shoe store where I'd have to interact with someone.  But, I did it and actually enjoyed it and now have shoes that fit!  I broke them in with a little run and am happy to be starting the year off in comfort.  Up next - tackling my super slow swimming... 

Yea!! It's kind of cool if you want to add them to your "equipment" on your blog page and then you can keep track of how much you run in them and when they might need to be retired....someday they will. What kind of shoes did you get?

2010-12-31 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3270215

User image

Veteran
lmscozz - 2010-12-31 3:13 PM

]

Okay, I just took the time to watch that video. OMG! Teared up for sure. Is this someone we at BT know? Any idea which IM it was?

Thanks for sharing it!

Lynn

Nope.. no one I know at least.. just a guy in video that was sent to me. I cried to.
2010-12-31 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3269988

User image

Master
Vista, CA

A Little Madness - 2010-12-31 11:12 AM Hi folks,

I'm still catching up on posts. A bad cold and some traveling are keeping me busy. I just wanted to say Happy New Year and let you know I'm still a proud, mad manatee.Smile

Yea Mary!! Glad to see you're still here. Hope your cold is all better soon.

Happy New Year to you!

Lynn

2010-12-31 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3270224

User image

Veteran
Austin
lmscozz - 2010-12-31 4:18 PM

lounav - 2010-12-31 11:57 AM I am now the proud new owner of a pair of running shoes - from a real running store.  I'm a total introvert and have to say I was always scared of the idea of going to a shoe store where I'd have to interact with someone.  But, I did it and actually enjoyed it and now have shoes that fit!  I broke them in with a little run and am happy to be starting the year off in comfort.  Up next - tackling my super slow swimming... 

Yea!! It's kind of cool if you want to add them to your "equipment" on your blog page and then you cankeep track of how much you run in them and when they might need to be retired....someday they will. What kind of shoes did you get?

I love that idea, as it fits well with my slightly obsessive personality.  They are Brooks - Launch.  Thanks for the tip!
2010-12-31 6:32 PM

New user

Klamath Falls OR
Everyone have a safe and Happy New Year!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 38