BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Holt's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2011-06-02 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3527349

Veteran
Subject: RE: Holt's Mentor Group - CLOSED
holt1997 - 2011-06-01 11:26 AM
bmeere - 2011-05-31 7:15 AM

Am I doing this right????

So I calculated my BMR to be 1800 (actually 1799+change)

That means to just keep on the right side of the grass I need to consume : 1800x7=12,600 calories per week

To lose 2lbs per week, I would need to create a 7000 calorie defecit meaning I would have to net at (12,600-7000 = 5600) calories per week.

Presuming I consume even just the 1800 calories per day, I would then have to offset this by burning 1000 Calories per day based on a 7 day program or 1166 Calories per day if I am to stick to a 6 day program

Now I presume that I need a little extra fuel in the tank to do all of this work, so lets say I increase it to 2000 cal per day, I would then need to burn 1400 Calories per day to get back to the same net of 5600 calories...

Am I doing this right?  What kind of program is going to be required to burn 1400 or so calories PER DAY???   I googled a calorie burning calculator and running a 10k race seems to burn approx 1000 Calories....This nutrition stuff boggles my mind....

Just a little thought for you. ARe you sure that while you are training and racing that you want to give your body a big calorie deficit? The other thing to consider is that because you are working out there is a big conversion going on in your body. Muscle is more dense than fat and actually weighs more. So if you go strictly by the scale you might be missing part of the picture. If it were me, I would go for 1/2 to 1 pound per week and also use a weight tape once every two weeks. You will see some change on the scale but also on the tape. Just a thought. It is not fun to race with a calorie deficit. For what its worth. Scott

my two cents, I have to side with Scott, at least at the start.  You might want to consider easing into that type of caloric deficit if you are very active.  You also need the fuel to be able to keep up with the level of training.  it happened to me when I cut down too much and had to wake up early to go the master's class at 5 am.  I did not have enough gas to finish the class.

You can always try it and see how your body reacts.

G

2011-06-02 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3282419

Veteran

There is nothing wrong with re-scheduling a race.  I'd suggest not to avoid signing up for another one.  It happened to me last year and the season ended before I knew it.  So keep looking, if you have to drag yourself across the finish line, it will be worth it.

thanks for the pacing advise, counted and I was at 82. Will need to work up to a faster cadence as soon as I build my endurance.  I heard that running cadence and biking cadence will usually be very close, have you all witnessed that?

G

2011-06-03 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
I went to group speedwork at the track last night.  1600m time trial was on the schedule and I wanted to see how I would do and if the calf would hold up for a full mile.  I did an 800m warmup then watched as the faster group did their 1600.   My calf had tightened up a little during the warmup so I stretched it out as best I could while I watched the other group run.  After they finished, the rest of us lined up for our 1600.  I was hoping to do it in under 12:00.  I finished the first lap in 2:29 - a little faster than I intended, but I felt good.  I was able to keep up that pace for the next 3 laps and ended up finishing in 9:56 - more than 2 minutes faster than I had expected.  Very happy with thatSmile.  Again, the calf tightened up a little but no real pain.  I'm not sure I could handle a 5k yet, but it's definitely getting better.
2011-06-03 12:52 PM

User image

Sarnia
Thanks for the help everyone.  It is frustrating to say the least to do the work and not see results for your efforts.  I am trying to stay positive about it and watch what I eat, but have the occassional slip due to my passion for chicken wings and beer....lol.  I have started being a little more consistent with capturing my training and nutrition so that I can possibly see where I am going off the track, or let someone else point it out for me.  All I know is that I want it, so I will go get it....
2011-06-06 9:03 AM

New user
Walterboro
Traffic has been a little slow in our group lately.  I hope everyone's training is going well.  Anyone have any up-coming races?
2011-06-06 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I found myself low on motivation this week.  I made it a goal to run every day this month and so far have run twice.    The other night I went for a run and ended up walking a lot, probably 15 mins out of 45.  It was a very pleasant run/walk, but I wish I had the mental wherewithal to keep going.  Fortunately, at least, it is mental at this point rather than physical.  I have built up some run fitness.

I tried pacing faster and ended up going the same 82 - don't know if I was pacing less than that normally or if it was just an illusion that I was going faster!

Next race is this Sunday!  Hopefully I got all the bad stuff out of the way on the first one, and this one will have nice weather, not cancel the bike leg, and I won't DQ! 

Oh, and I tried my wetsuit at the "lake" where the race will be.  The buoyancy is pretty cool.  I did find my arms felt heavier though, probably because of the water in the suit.  I'm a little concerned that it'll wear me out during a 750m.

2011-06-06 9:07 PM

New user

Okay Folks,

Need a little help.  I think I have a good grasp on what comes next but would like some help confirming it.  What I thought would be my virgin race is not to be (as I mentioned in an earlier post).  So the new race date is three weeks later and I was using a plan based on the original date.  Now biking is my short coming and feel good knowing how to stay on track with that and the swim is straightforward in my mind but not the run.

I ran the 5k this last weekend so I know I have semi-decent stamina(31:40) but am looking for tips on how to proceed.  I would assume the next step would be to try to increase speed??  So I am assuming intervals would be a good idea?  Do I try to increase distance again?  I really have no desire to run more than the 3.1 because at that point it really starts to get physically hard on me (joint pain, etc).  So I am reading, etc but would love some advice from you guys. 

Thanks;-)

Marnie

2011-06-06 10:32 PM
in reply to: #3536071

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
peteacher - 2011-06-06 7:07 PM

Okay Folks,

Need a little help.  I think I have a good grasp on what comes next but would like some help confirming it.  What I thought would be my virgin race is not to be (as I mentioned in an earlier post).  So the new race date is three weeks later and I was using a plan based on the original date.  Now biking is my short coming and feel good knowing how to stay on track with that and the swim is straightforward in my mind but not the run.

I ran the 5k this last weekend so I know I have semi-decent stamina(31:40) but am looking for tips on how to proceed.  I would assume the next step would be to try to increase speed??  So I am assuming intervals would be a good idea?  Do I try to increase distance again?  I really have no desire to run more than the 3.1 because at that point it really starts to get physically hard on me (joint pain, etc).  So I am reading, etc but would love some advice from you guys. 

Thanks;-)

Marnie

You have a lot of really good questions here. First I think I would try to increase distance just a little. If you can get to running 3.5 miles then 3.1 will seem easier. Not a huge increase but a little will help you out a lot.Make increases slowly though.Don't stress your self out physically for this. Nice and slow.

You are right too about the intervals They will help you a lot. What you might try is 2minute intervals on 1 day per week (for example run a faster pace for 1 minute then a rest pace for 1 minute and maybe do 6-10 of these) then maybe on another day (just once per week) do a 10 minute warm up, 10 minutes slightly above race pace and 10 minutes cool down. Adjust the times as you need for your workout but that gives you the idea.

Again make changes slowly. Allow your body time to adapt. Especially with just three weeks to go you don't want to make a huge change to your workouts then go try to race.

Lastly apply the pacing tool I talked about earlier with your cadence. That has helped me be a comsistent runner more than anything else. My first half marathon was 2:07 the last one I ran was 2:35. The 2:35 was a much harder course but my big change was the pacing. Hope it helps. Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions. Nice work! Keep it up.

Scott
2011-06-06 10:35 PM
in reply to: #3535016

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
sdejan - 2011-06-06 10:36 AM

I found myself low on motivation this week.  I made it a goal to run every day this month and so far have run twice.    The other night I went for a run and ended up walking a lot, probably 15 mins out of 45.  It was a very pleasant run/walk, but I wish I had the mental wherewithal to keep going.  Fortunately, at least, it is mental at this point rather than physical.  I have built up some run fitness.

I tried pacing faster and ended up going the same 82 - don't know if I was pacing less than that normally or if it was just an illusion that I was going faster!

Next race is this Sunday!  Hopefully I got all the bad stuff out of the way on the first one, and this one will have nice weather, not cancel the bike leg, and I won't DQ! 

Oh, and I tried my wetsuit at the "lake" where the race will be.  The buoyancy is pretty cool.  I did find my arms felt heavier though, probably because of the water in the suit.  I'm a little concerned that it'll wear me out during a 750m.

For your running goal....it starts tomorrow. Just get out the door. go for a five minute run and see if you want to turn around or keep going just a little farther.

The pacing takes time to get used to. Try it in short intervals and eventually the intervals get longer and longer. Eventually you will make the change and just not know it.

You can do it!!
2011-06-06 10:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I had a good conversation with my wife last night that if you have a significant other it is well worth having. My training has been frustrating because time is just not there. So I talked with her last night, told her where I was at, why I wanted to get into better shape and we talked about how to fit in the workouts. We had a great conversation and now she has buy in to my workouts. I think it is going to help a lot and now she can help keep me accountable. So if you get the chance I encourage you to have this conversation.

Scott
2011-06-07 11:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

All right, Scott, you got me off the couch - literally.  Here I was, all comfy, lying down reading about all of you exercising, and you say "it starts tomorrow" (my goal of running every day).  And darn it, you wrote that yesterday, which made tomorrow today.  So at 10:30 PM I went out and ran a mile.  Not much, but certainly more than I was about to do.  It felt good.  Today was really hot and even now it's 83 and humid, so even a cool shower hasn't stopped me from sweating yet.  It's so cool that running a mile is really easy now.  It was SO hard in Jan and now it doesn't even feel like a workout.  Just enough to get my muscles warmed up so I can stretch them well.

I'd hoped to swim this evening, but the schedule was tight and the swim didn't happen.  That makes me more glad of the run, short though it was.  So thanks!

ETA: one of the quotes from your signature, "whether you think you can or can't, you're right," pops into my mind when I run.  BT quotes are always ringing around in my head.    That's a really good one.

Edited by sdejan 2011-06-07 11:10 PM

2011-06-07 11:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Glad I could help. Its what we are all here for...now just do it again tomorrow. Way to go.
2011-06-08 10:20 PM

User image

Sarnia
Hey Everyone, just thought I would share a happy milestone with all of you.  Today I swam (as I was supposed to) but swam 2k straight...Up to this point I had not been more than 1200M and that was in intervals....swam it in 41:18.84 with an avg pace of 1:58.04/100M...my splits were pretty consistent and all were right around the 2:00 mark, have to say I came out of the pool feeling pretty good...Laughing
2011-06-09 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3540079

User image

Extreme Veteran

bmeere - 2011-06-08 10:20 PM Hey Everyone, just thought I would share a happy milestone with all of you.  Today I swam (as I was supposed to) but swam 2k straight...Up to this point I had not been more than 1200M and that was in intervals....swam it in 41:18.84 with an avg pace of 1:58.04/100M...my splits were pretty consistent and all were right around the 2:00 mark, have to say I came out of the pool feeling pretty good...Laughing

That's great!!!

What's the story to your Oly tri in your signature?

2011-06-09 7:04 PM

New user

bmeere - 2011-06-08 10:20 PM Hey Everyone, just thought I would share a happy milestone with all of you.  Today I swam (as I was supposed to) but swam 2k straight...Up to this point I had not been more than 1200M and that was in intervals....swam it in 41:18.84 with an avg pace of 1:58.04/100M...my splits were pretty consistent and all were right around the 2:00 mark, have to say I came out of the pool feeling pretty good...Laughing

That's incredible, nice job!!

2011-06-10 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
bmeere - 2011-06-08 8:20 PM

Hey Everyone, just thought I would share a happy milestone with all of you.  Today I swam (as I was supposed to) but swam 2k straight...Up to this point I had not been more than 1200M and that was in intervals....swam it in 41:18.84 with an avg pace of 1:58.04/100M...my splits were pretty consistent and all were right around the 2:00 mark, have to say I came out of the pool feeling pretty good...Laughing

Nice work! You should be proud of yourself. Glad you are feeling the payoff of your hard work.

2011-06-10 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3541708

User image

Expert
Missouri
peteacher - 2011-06-09 7:04 PM

That's incredible, nice job!!

I wish I could have a breakthrough like that with my swimming, lol!  I still struggle with just getting myself to the pool most of the time.  Congrats on a great swim!

2011-06-10 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

I went to the LRS group speedwork at the track last night.  Unfortunately I didn't quite make it through the whole workout.  I could only do 8 of the 10-12 planned intervals (300m @ 5k pace with 100m recoveries).  I think it was a combination of the heat (still close to 90* at 7pm) and the issues with my leg.  Big River had some ART therapists there last night to help anyone who might be having issues so I went and talked to them after I did my intervals.  Found out that the issue I'm having actually has nothing to do with my calf - it's a nerve problem in my hip.  He had me lay on my side on the table and then worked on some pressure points in my hip while pushing my leg forward.  Did that about 5 times and when I stood up afterwards, my calf didn't hurt at all (I definitely felt it in my hip though!). I'm glad I talked to them and found out what the real problem is.  I'm wondering though if my bike riding is aggravating it - it seemed to start hurting more after my 15 mile ride last Sunday.  I have an appointment with them on the 20th so I'm going to go talk to them again and see what they have to say about "fixing" me.  I'd really like to be able to run again without being in pain. 

2011-06-10 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3542464

User image

Extreme Veteran
soccermom15 - 2011-06-10 9:39 AM

I went to the LRS group speedwork at the track last night.  Unfortunately I didn't quite make it through the whole workout.  I could only do 8 of the 10-12 planned intervals (300m @ 5k pace with 100m recoveries).  I think it was a combination of the heat (still close to 90* at 7pm) and the issues with my leg.  Big River had some ART therapists there last night to help anyone who might be having issues so I went and talked to them after I did my intervals.  Found out that the issue I'm having actually has nothing to do with my calf - it's a nerve problem in my hip.  He had me lay on my side on the table and then worked on some pressure points in my hip while pushing my leg forward.  Did that about 5 times and when I stood up afterwards, my calf didn't hurt at all (I definitely felt it in my hip though!). I'm glad I talked to them and found out what the real problem is.  I'm wondering though if my bike riding is aggravating it - it seemed to start hurting more after my 15 mile ride last Sunday.  I have an appointment with them on the 20th so I'm going to go talk to them again and see what they have to say about "fixing" me.  I'd really like to be able to run again without being in pain. 

What is ART therapy?  Is the pain down the side of your leg (I'm thinking sciatica)?

Those intervals sound tough.  I should probably hook up with a local running group.  It sounds like it would be very helpful to have a group structure.

2011-06-11 12:10 PM

New user
Walterboro
Sdejan, good luck on your race tomorrow.
2011-06-11 8:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks, Wesley - I need it!  I am absolutely terrified for some reason.  I sat at the course talk today getting completely overwhelmed and becoming more certain by the moment that I just can't do this.  I just want to curl up in a fetal position in a corner and rock.  Laughing  I don't know why.  I've tried really hard not to put pressure on myself, just to think of this as a big workout and not a race, remind myself I don't need to get "good" times or anything.  Just have fun and finish.  But suddenly I'm convinced I don't belong out there.

If I can just get through the swim it will be all right...

2011-06-11 10:30 PM
in reply to: #3544174

New user
sdejan - 2011-06-11 8:14 PM

Thanks, Wesley - I need it!  I am absolutely terrified for some reason.  I sat at the course talk today getting completely overwhelmed and becoming more certain by the moment that I just can't do this.  I just want to curl up in a fetal position in a corner and rock.  Laughing  I don't know why.  I've tried really hard not to put pressure on myself, just to think of this as a big workout and not a race, remind myself I don't need to get "good" times or anything.  Just have fun and finish.  But suddenly I'm convinced I don't belong out there.

If I can just get through the swim it will be all right...

I am thinking by the time you read this you will have rocked the race, gotten over the fear once the race started and ready for your next one??  Can't wait for a race report and how ya felt....you go Girl!!

2011-06-11 10:30 PM

New user
Walterboro
Just take a deep breathe and stay calm.  I just looked at the swim course.  Don't think of it as 800 yds but break it down to each bouy.  Just swim to the first bouy and stay calm, then as simple as it may sound, swim to the second bouy and keep going.  If you have to backstroke or whatever you have to do to get finished.  This race shouldn't be about time but finishing.  Sunday is going to be a much better race than the last time.  Looks like the weather is going to be much better this time.  So, no whining, just suck it up and by lunch time Sunday you'll feel great.Looking foward to your race report.  Just remember that you're out there for you.  Good Luck!
2011-06-12 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

First, thanks for all the support last night!  What a case of nerves!

Today's sprint was awesome!  750m swim, 14.25m bike, 5k.  It was an all-women's event.  There were about 2000 women there, roughly half of whom were doing their first tri.  The weather was perfect - overcast and a little chilly for the swim, but that just made the water feel warm, and 60ish and sunny for the bike/run.  It was incredibly well organized and smoothly run.  It was a SheROX event for ovarian cancer.

The swim was good.  I was a little worried because when I did my practice swim in the wetsuit, my arms felt very heavy.  But I didn't notice that at all today.  I had to go more slowly than usual because there were a lot of bodies in a small space (serpentine swim), and that probably helped.  Time 13:49.

The bike was fine.  I might have been able to go faster, but my legs certainly felt it and I did pretty well IMHO.  It was basically like a training ride, only this time instead of picturing myself in a race, I was actually in one!  Time 53:13.

The run, well, I definitely need more training.  I did a fair amount of walking in the first half.  One goal I had was not to walk, but it's ok.  I didn't walk the second half and finished with a sprint.  Kind of a sprint.  Time 34:29.

Transitions were slow.  I wasn't rushing any.  Overall time 1:50:23, rank 87/149 in my division, 828/1468 overall.  They did say it was about 2000 athletes, so I'm not sure where the other 600 went.  Anyway, I'm happy.

Thank you to everyone in this group!  You have been a huge support through my initial training!  My next race is 7/30 and it will be a true OWS in Lake Michigan.  I'm bitten by the bug!!!

2011-06-12 5:07 PM
in reply to: #3544733

User image

Expert
Missouri
sdejan - 2011-06-12 1:05 PM

First, thanks for all the support last night!  What a case of nerves!

Today's sprint was awesome!  750m swim, 14.25m bike, 5k.  It was an all-women's event.  There were about 2000 women there, roughly half of whom were doing their first tri.  The weather was perfect - overcast and a little chilly for the swim, but that just made the water feel warm, and 60ish and sunny for the bike/run.  It was incredibly well organized and smoothly run.  It was a SheROX event for ovarian cancer.

The swim was good.  I was a little worried because when I did my practice swim in the wetsuit, my arms felt very heavy.  But I didn't notice that at all today.  I had to go more slowly than usual because there were a lot of bodies in a small space (serpentine swim), and that probably helped.  Time 13:49.

The bike was fine.  I might have been able to go faster, but my legs certainly felt it and I did pretty well IMHO.  It was basically like a training ride, only this time instead of picturing myself in a race, I was actually in one!  Time 53:13.

The run, well, I definitely need more training.  I did a fair amount of walking in the first half.  One goal I had was not to walk, but it's ok.  I didn't walk the second half and finished with a sprint.  Kind of a sprint.  Time 34:29.

Transitions were slow.  I wasn't rushing any.  Overall time 1:50:23, rank 87/149 in my division, 828/1468 overall.  They did say it was about 2000 athletes, so I'm not sure where the other 600 went.  Anyway, I'm happy.

Thank you to everyone in this group!  You have been a huge support through my initial training!  My next race is 7/30 and it will be a true OWS in Lake Michigan.  I'm bitten by the bug!!!

Congratulations!  Sounds like you had a great race! 

To answer your previous question - ART is Active Release Technique.  It's a kind of Physical Therapy but more intense from what I've heard (I've not had it done before so I'm not sure about all the details).  I'm hoping that they can get me running again without hurting.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Holt's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15