General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2012-03-17 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3550668

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread

I think its tough to post much on here because no one knows much about the course...In most IM threads people talk about their training, particularly on the course, but you can't really do too much of that with this race.  Nonetheless, the info people have posted on here has been very helpful to me so keep it coming!

2012-03-18 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4100875

User image

PeakTriCoaching - 2012-03-17 6:09 PM

I think its tough to post much on here because no one knows much about the course...In most IM threads people talk about their training, particularly on the course, but you can't really do too much of that with this race.  Nonetheless, the info people have posted on here has been very helpful to me so keep it coming!

Well what could they possibly be posting and talking about on the Ironman Florida course?  "The flat part of the bike?  The long, straight flat part where peloton pace-lines form? The short flat part? Or the mostly flat part back to transiton?  The flat part of the run through the neighborhood?  The flat part of the run along the water?" 

I kid, I kid of course.   Aside from the ocean swim, I find NOTHING appealing about Ironman Florida. 

Not knowing much of anything about the Ironman NYC/NJ course, one thing we do know is the time of year - August 11th, and it can get hot.  If you're the avg AG'er you're going to find yourself out of the water a little after 8 AM.  And off your Bike sometime just after 2 PM.  Which means you will begin your Marathon at the hottest part of the day. 

We have the Long Island Marathon every year the first weekend in May, which means everyone starts training Dec/January and continues to train throughout the cold winter months, then taper the last two weeks in April.  Race Day comes and BOOM we have a freak hot and humid day and half the field melts despite having excellent fitness.  This also happens at Eagleman 70.3  Why?  Because you can have ALL the fitness in the world, but if you do not train in hot conditions you can breakdown and melt, sapped of all energy.  SPECFICITY.

YOU DON'T WANT YOUR FIRST LONG RUN AT THE HOTTEST PART OF THE DAY TO BE ON RACE DAY.

Due to time constraints, many of us do our Run training at 5 AM or at 6PM.  The temperature difference between these times and the middle of the day can be as much as 30 degrees, and difference of HIGH Humidity and virtually No Humidity.  Your nutritional/hydration requirements can be double or triple for a mid-day run compared to an early morning/evening run. 

A 2 hr 30 min Run at 6AM and a 2 hr 30 min run at 2PM can be two entirely different animals.  Your paces will most-likely be much different as well.  The Long Run in the hottest, humid part of the day with the sun beating down on you will be a more accurate predictor of your Ironman Marathon Pace, too.  And you don't have to do ALL your Long Runs at the hottest part of the day, but I like to try and do at least one per week when I'm two months out from Lake Placid.  Sometimes I'll do a mid-week Medium Long Run at 1 PM, and then do my Saturday morning Long Run early.  Just a few Long Runs during the hottest part of the day will go a long way. 

August 11th may turn out to be an overcast, cool day.  And if that's the case, you'll be more than prepared for a strong showing.  But if you wake up to a forecast that predicts a heat wave and not a cloud in the sky (which is quite likley) you'll mentall and physically be prepared to get off the bike and have a strong Run.  You will run past more talented Runners with better fitness who simply did not do prepare and acclimate their bodies to run in the midday heat.   

Lastly, since the Run does sound like it'll be hilly - may as well also add hills to the midday heat and humidity menu of Long Runs. 

2012-03-18 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Lol, VERY good point about Florida Bobby.  Great post in general!
2012-03-18 1:54 PM

User image

Brooklyn, NY

For those of you who do not live near this area there are some youtube videos that other athletes have posted about the course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfY0-xA6qr0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-trMnewaTg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL2mZGMk4po

Also if you live near the area you can preview the run course during the Escape to Palidsades Half Marathon on May 6th. http://www.escapetopalisades.com/The_Course.html
Short Course preview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poBXtE296tw&feature=related

I agree with the athlete who commented about the heat potential and being acclimated as a precaution. I do believe the run course has a lot of tree cover which will help with direct sunlight. Its the bike course that is in the wide open. I myself am mostly swim and bike training for this iron since my previous two in Lake placid in 08 and 10 I walked half the run anyway. For me as a 220 lb athlete whenever I do runs over the half marathon distance there is potential for injury. calves, it band etc. So I really just train to finish in 14 to 16 hours. And with the heat and hills thats probably smart for me in this race. I am orginally from Brooklyn and love that there is a race finishing in NYC. I loved the NYC tri in 2009 it was an amazing finish and I know this race will be amazing and everyone should be happy they avoided all the critics who made comments about the hudson, and that it was really a "NJ ironman" etc and signed up. You will not regret it!!

Edited by marathon88 2012-03-18 1:57 PM
2012-03-18 8:09 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Thanks for the links - they are great - 145 days from today!

2012-03-19 2:18 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
As for the heat, I'm counting the seasons to be continually creeping forward. To me, it seems that growing up, August was always the month with the hot/humid heatwave. Now it's more like July, or even June. So this past year, we had our biggest snow storm in October. Then pretty much nothing. It's only March and we're in the upper 70's. So, with that pattern, I'm thinking the Hudson's gonna freeze over.

So, what's everyone's long ride and long run up to these days? This past weekend I did 11.5mi run, and a 50mi ride.

2012-03-21 9:31 AM

User image

Master

Good info, thanks for those links.

So, I just returned from the 70.3 in San Juan Puerto Rico, and I think my experience there applies to NY for a couple of reasons.

1. Hills- The San Juan run course is fairly hilly. I know this is something you probably know, but just in case you thought your run fitness will help you through a race, it can not do so if you don't have the bike fitness. Running up hills after a solid ride is HARD.

2. Heat-In association with number 1-If it is hot, it will be even slower. The heat can take a LOT out of you. As the earlier poster had mentioned, you need to practice at least a little in the heat to check how your body will react.

For myself, when it is hot, I find that I get nauseous more easily, and this makes it harder to drink enough. I spent a lot of slow time on the run in San Juan pouring water over myself and NOT drinking, as it made me feel too full. 

Also, I recently drove part of the bike course in a car. At least as far as Nyack, the road is more rollers than hills and there are some flat sections. I am hoping to get back up to ride it soon as well.

2012-03-21 4:56 PM
in reply to: #4101344

New user

Great post!
2012-03-27 9:33 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Training week 9 has started. How is everyone else making out?

136 days from today Smile

(March27.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
March27.jpg (56KB - 9 downloads)
2012-03-27 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Hey all, I was up in NYC this weekend and took a day to go scout the course. I took my Garmin along and drove one loop of the bike course and rode one loop of the run. I also drove one loop of the run and then up to the bridge and took video of the whole thing. I will upload to YouTube today hopefully.

I recorded with my Garmin about 2500 ft of elevation from transition, one loop of the bike course, and back to transition. So you can bet its going to be close to 5000 ft. As others have mentioned the course is either up or down. There is no real flat areas on either the bike or the run. The bike had long pulls both ways and the run was more short steep pulls.

I see some have mentioned heat. While it will definitely be hot, almost the entire run course will be in the shade. The whole NJ side is in a park and heavily shaded by tree cover.

I will attach my Garmin files and some pictures once I get them off of my respective devices and also get that you tube video up. Hope you guys are hill training as this will definitely be a challenging course!

Side note: there is a nice bike shop about a mile or 2 away from where transition is on the bike course for anyone traveling to the area. It's called simply bicycles.
2012-03-28 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4115113

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Shawn.

I am sure I am speaking for the few of us that are posting in here - I can't wait to see your info - Thanks.

KC

ShawnFromNorfolk - 2012-03-27 10:59 AM Hey all, I was up in NYC this weekend and took a day to go scout the course. I took my Garmin along and drove one loop of the bike course and rode one loop of the run. I also drove one loop of the run and then up to the bridge and took video of the whole thing. I will upload to YouTube today hopefully.

I recorded with my Garmin about 2500 ft of elevation from transition, one loop of the bike course, and back to transition. So you can bet its going to be close to 5000 ft. As others have mentioned the course is either up or down. There is no real flat areas on either the bike or the run. The bike had long pulls both ways and the run was more short steep pulls.

I see some have mentioned heat. While it will definitely be hot, almost the entire run course will be in the shade. The whole NJ side is in a park and heavily shaded by tree cover.

I will attach my Garmin files and some pictures once I get them off of my respective devices and also get that you tube video up. Hope you guys are hill training as this will definitely be a challenging course!

Side note: there is a nice bike shop about a mile or 2 away from where transition is on the bike course for anyone traveling to the area. It's called simply bicycles.

2012-03-28 12:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
All-

Here are my videos. Part 1 goes from transition to the run turnaround (appx) and Part 2 goes from the run turnaround to the GW bridge entrance.

Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlmbNA5mLFQ
Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFrA36wMLhk

Sorry about the wind, I didn't want to add any annoying music to it so just turn the sound off.

Attached find the .gps and .tcx files for my car ride around the bike course. This goes from transition, to the bike turnaround (appx) and back to transition.

I will post my pics later today.

Shawn
2012-03-28 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
All-

Here are my videos. Part 1 goes from transition to the run turnaround (appx) and Part 2 goes from the run turnaround to the GW bridge entrance.

Sorry about the wind, I didn't want to add any annoying music to it so just turn the sound off.

I have .gpx and .tpx files from the bike course going from transition to the bike turnaround (appx) and back to transition. Its not letting me attach to my post saying its too big a file so if you want a copy, just send me a message with your email and I will email them to you.

I will post my pics later today including the bike course elevation profile.

Shawn
2012-03-28 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
All-

I have .gpx and .tpx files from the bike course going from transition to the bike turnaround (appx) and back to transition. Its not letting me attach to my post saying its too big a file so if you want a copy, just send me a message with your email and I will email them to you.

I will post my pics later today including the bike course elevation profile.

Shawn
2012-03-28 12:41 PM
in reply to: #4117324

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Shawn.

Thanks for posting I will take a look at them after my swim workout today.

I would love you to email me - please send to [email protected] Please let me know when you send them and if the file is to big I will have you send it to my gmail account.

Thanks again.

KC

ShawnFromNorfolk - 2012-03-28 1:37 PM All- Here are my videos. Part 1 goes from transition to the run turnaround (appx) and Part 2 goes from the run turnaround to the GW bridge entrance. Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlmbNA5mLFQPart2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFrA36wMLhkSorry about the wind, I didn't want to add any annoying music to it so just turn the sound off. I have .gpx and .tpx files from the bike course going from transition to the bike turnaround (appx) and back to transition. Its not letting me attach to my post saying its too big a file so if you want a copy, just send me a message with your email and I will email them to you. I will post my pics later today including the bike course elevation profile. Shawn

2012-03-28 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Triple post fail .. sorry about that, was messing with the attachment. Here is a pic of the elevation profile for the bike course from transition to the turnaround (appx) and back to transition.

Edited by ShawnFromNorfolk 2012-03-28 2:00 PM

(elevation.png)

Attachments
----------------
elevation.png (37KB - 22 downloads)

2012-03-28 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Here is the run elevation profile from transition to the run turnaround and then back to the GW bridge. Note the first climb to 100ft in a third of a mile.

(runelevation.png)

Attachments
----------------
runelevation.png (24KB - 18 downloads)
2012-03-28 2:04 PM

User image

Stamford, CT
Subject: NYC Triathlon & IMNYC's organizer speaking in CT Thurs 3/29!!!

Greenwich Triathlon Club & Elite Health Services host an evening with

John Korff, organizer of the Ironman U.S. Championship & NYC Triathlon

Get the inside scoop!

Where:  Elite Health Serices, 1445 E. Putnam Ave, 2nd Fl. Old Greenwich, CT 06870
When:  Thursday, March 29th, 6:30-7:30
*information session will be followed by Q&A & drinks at Greenwich Tavern-1392 E. Putnam Ave.
RSVP:  [email protected]

2012-03-28 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Here is a pic of transition area from about that third of a mile point in the run course:

(IMG_0135.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0135.jpg (80KB - 10 downloads)
2012-03-28 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Pic of the first set of 24 stairs you come to heading to the GW bridge

(stairs 1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
stairs 1.jpg (80KB - 14 downloads)
2012-03-28 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Pic of the second set of 26 stairs, immediately after the first set:

(stairs2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
stairs2.jpg (83KB - 12 downloads)

2012-03-28 2:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
And finally a pic of the stairs heading down after you go up the first two sets and over a short cross walk. This gets you to the Northern pedestrian path to head over the bridge.

(stairs3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
stairs3.jpg (86KB - 16 downloads)
2012-03-28 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Massapequa, NY

Shawn-

great recon of the course.  thank you...was planning to do the same, but have another 2 weeks in my walking boot.  I too did a drive-by a couple months ago and there are literally no flat sections on the Palisades, but I am hearing the run is steeper.

Bobby-awesome info about the heat.  I am banking on it being VERY hot.  Anyone who lives here knows we have had the mildest winter in years.  My coach told me that air-conditioning in my home will likely be a detriment leading up to the race as well, and he plans to have me training during the hottest parts of the day once the weather is warmer.  While i wont punish the rest of my family with no A/C, I'll surely be trying to acclimate to the heat as best I can.  I am a major sweater as well, so I really have to be careful about my nutrition intake, sweat loss, etc.  That and it's my first IM.  Yipes.

Hope everyone is doing well and training hard and safe-

Dave  

2012-04-05 2:07 PM

User image

Orlando
2012-04-09 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4132532

User image

Master
New Jersey
Think I'm gonna try to ride the course (well, 9W which is parallel to it) this Saturday. Anyone else interested?

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27